New Cat Behavior Concerns

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mtbe2293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat McCannon Cat McCannon unless you think the added trauma of tearing down the cabinet walls around her and pulling her out of there is worth getting her into a different area to adjust in (I do not say this sarcastically, I genuinely don’t know). I cannot physically remove her without having maintenance workers rip out cabinet paneling and the vet initially advised that the stress that would cause wasn’t worth it unless it was for a medical emergency such as not eating/drinking or not eliminating.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat McCannon Cat McCannon unless you think the added trauma of tearing down the cabinet walls around her and pulling her out of there is worth getting her into a different area to adjust in (I do not say this sarcastically, I genuinely don’t know). I cannot physically remove her without having maintenance workers rip out cabinet paneling and the vet initially advised that the stress that would cause wasn’t worth it unless it was for a medical emergency such as not eating/drinking or not eliminating.
I say then once you get Kitty out of that hidey hole as it's been suggested block the access up. Wether it be sticking a large object in the opening; nailing a board over the hole. Plug up that hidey hole !

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think what Cat McCannon Cat McCannon is saying is that perhaps the hole is so deap that when the cat is in there, there is no adjustment going on. Contrast that to typical hiding under the bed situation, where you can chill in the room, and even get on the floor if you want -- adjustment occurs. There is definitely something to this -- I do recall at least one cat in a wall that never adjusted despite them letting the issue linger for like a month. However, I'm not sure its hopeless!

Can you sit very quietly in there, maybe even at night, and try to lure out with treats or a lure toy? Night is becoming the kitties safe time, so I think gently and quietly trying an approach at night may have the best results. Force nothing.

I do of course agree that plugging the hole up is in your best interest, but if the cat is using the litter box now, it can wait a few days if you have a good plan and way to make progress. Well, to try to anyway. As noted above, it may or may not work. Even if the nighttime plan doesn't fully work, it may be a way to block the hole without the trauma of really hacking into there if you can quickly block the hole while the cat is out.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent news that she used the litter box. And also good news that she's getting braver and exploring the rest of the house at night.

I agree that getting her hidey hole blocked sooner than later is a priority, but now that she's used the litter box, it's not as urgent. Hopefully one of the times when she's exploring you'll be able to beat her back to her room, and block the hidey hold entrance.

I know it seems like slow going, but it's not even been a week yet, right.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat McCannon Cat McCannon how do you suggest I do this?...

...I recognize the importance of what you are saying, I have no idea how to execute.
With love, gentleness, confidence and patience.

One option is to continue bringing her out with food, moving her dish further and further from the cabinetry as she becomes more confident of her domain. This is different from letting her continue hiding as you are getting her to cross previous set challenge lines. This is progress and builds her confidence. Some guardians make the mistake of placing food and litterbox in such a way it rewards the cat for staying in it's hidey hole. You're doing the opposite by placing her food & litterbox where she has to come out further and further each time. Good work!

The second option is to dig her out. Again, it must be done with as much love, gentleness, confidence and patience as possible. There will certainly be some trauma, but it will be brief and when handle correctly, the work to build your cat's confidence will begin immediately. If you must have the cabinet dismantled to retrieve your cat, remain calm and confident. If you get anxious and second guess your choice, your cat will pick up on that. She'll think "If my guardian thinks something is wrong, something must be very wrong!"

Judging from your posts, the ideal solution is to figure out a way to block access to behind the cabinet while she's out & about. As she's coming out to eat and use the litterbox, you've got time to think of a solution to the problem. Continue moving her food further and further out into the open. She may abandon the cabinet on her own while you're planning.

One solution is to use a live trap. Get her used to eating in the trap. When she's comfortable with that, set the trap and immediately close off access to behind the cabinet!

The right solution is up to you. Do what's best for your cat? I had to make the same choice when I left the door open to our storage room and Belle disappeared among the boxes. She was a stray 4-6 month old kitten who had to fend against foxes, coyotes, owls and hawks for at least two months of her life. She was caught in a trap set out to catch critters killing the rabbits & chickens on the property.

We took her in and saved her from certain death. She wasn't feral. She was wild and needed and craved socialization. She'd made great progress until I made a mistake and left the door open to the storage room where Belle disappeared among the boxes. She reverted back to her wild, untrusting state and wouldn't come out. I had to go in and hunt her down until I had her cornered. For my efforts, Belle bit me deep on the hand. I couldn't believe how fast she regressed! She'd only been in there a day. I kept my head, held on and got her out of the storage room and secured the door. It didn't take long for the wildness to abate and the trauma forgotten (about the time to prep a meal) and has become the sweetest cat since. For Belle, what was best was to dig her out and block off all the hidey holes I could find. Even after a year and a half, Belle occasionally finds a new place that needs to be closed. The last one was under my easy chair.

I can tell you love your cat and want what's best for her. Keep your thinking cap on. You'll find a good solution.

Last edited: