Neutering Anxiety? Is it necessary?

M_Intentions

Alliecat67
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve not had a cat in eight years due to cat allergies, and I’ve recently got one thanks to a mice issue and my enabling best friend (ha!). Anyway when I first took him she said something really odd to me; “you need to call a vet and get him neutered eventually” then she turned around and said my biggest fear, “he’ll get so fat once you neuter him!”

My dogs (countryside lady here) are in a fenced in yard. We had two escapees in about four years but only for a few minutes at a time and nobody ever got pregnant (females). The kitty, Link, is inside strictly. The front door is moderated by me, backdoor has a second door (besties) kids close before opening backdoor to avoid dog escapes (they don’t want to escape they just want to go with the kids). Besides all that Link has absolutely no interest in escaping. He’s lived at least a year outside.

Link is already showing signs of indoor cat living by getting a bit of a stomach (my friend free feeds, and living outside Link was pretty skinny, so it makes sense he’d overeat). Anyway my main concern is obesity.

I do not want a fat cat. It’s horrible and cuts their life down incredibly short. Plus everytime I picture a fat cat I see in my mind my old friend smugly saying “my animals love peanut butter” while her dog waddled towards us, her fat rolls shaking, and her grotesquely fat cat trying and failing to get up off the couch. I was absolutely appalled and horrified by the condition of her animals. Even her hamster was given peanut butter and was grossly fat! Then my uncle neutered his dog, and he’s incredibly fat and has been on, at least, four new diets and dog foods trying to curb his obesity and it as all failed. This is a dog he could walk but is too lazy too; I highly doubt Link would like a stroll around the block.

My huge fear is Link will get horribly fat and die at six years old, or that I’ll be battling his weight for the rest of his life, constantly trying new excerise toys and dozens of new cat foods and diets to keep him a good weight. I have pretty bad anxiety issues anyway and this is without worrying I’ll kill Link through obesity.

So my question - it is worth it? Do I need to put myself through it? Do I need to put him through surgery that could kill him down the road (if not on the table getting neutered)? Do I really need to risk him getting obese? He’s not having any behavioral issues or any desire to go outside. As of now he isn’t marking or anything like that. He’s the only cat I have (as I said first one in eight years!) Don’t get me wrong or mistake me - I would never be selfish enough to hurt him intentionally and if keeping him intact would hurt him long term I would obviously get him neutered ASAP, I’m just doubting if it’s necessary and if the pros outweighs the cons (no pun intended). And I’m not the kind of person who doesn’t neuter/spay for emotional issues; if they need it I’ll do it, dogs never have any issues not being spayed.

The only time we ever neutered was when our two male dogs started showing signs of aggression towards each other and neutering did absolutely nothing for the issue and truly traumatized one of the dogs. Anyway, sorry I’ll stop rambling. Thank you for any and all advice!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Anyway when I first took him she said something really odd to me; “you need to call a vet and get him neutered eventually” then she turned around and said my biggest fear, “he’ll get so fat once you neuter him!”
This is not true. Neutering a cat has it's benefits and also for the good for the wellbeing of the cat.

Here's an article for you to read:- why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats

how-much-does-it-cost-to-get-a-cat-fixed

when-to-spay-or-neuter-a-cat

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M_Intentions

Alliecat67
Kitten
Purraise
Your first article directly contradicts every site I’ve read... neutering and spaying does lead to weight gain as it prevents the hormones that burn off fat and it also directly makes them lazier because without the hormones they slow down making them lounge around more (this obviously prevents them from burning calories). It also contradicts evidence I’ve seen with my own eyes (my peanut butter friend could be excluded but my uncle is a hard ass. He would freak out if his dog was going for a crumb on the ground then scream at you for “feeding” the dog scraps). It’s a known obvious issue that altering can lead to obesity (not saying it does every time). Link is already a year old or possibly older which does up his risk as another one of your articles said 5 months is safest recommended. Thank you for the links though. I do appreciate your input. It’s definitely something I am heavily considering as I don’t want to rush into a decision I could come to regret.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Your first article directly contradicts every site I’ve read... neutering and spaying does lead to weight gain as it prevents the hormones that burn off fat and it also directly makes them lazier because without the hormones they slow down making them lounge around more (this obviously prevents them from burning calories). It also contradicts evidence I’ve seen with my own eyes (my peanut butter friend could be excluded but my uncle is a hard ass.
My boy is neutered at 7 months old and he's coming to 5 years old soon and he's not fat. He is lanky and fit. All cats will laze around whether they are neutered/spayed or not. This is their way off life. They sleep or rest most of the time and my boy sleeps a lot.

Feed your boy wet food which helps maintain weight. Dry food is full of carbs and they make the cats fats. An indoor cat needs roughly 250 calories each day. Feed you cat high protein low carbs wet food.

A little body fat is ok in a healthy cat.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering does not make them fat. I have had several male cats in my lifetime. All have been neutered and all have remained healthy weights into old age (16-20 years). As long as they remain active, they will remain at a healthy weight.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heavy majority of cats with a home are spayed/neutered. Where I live too. Overweight cats would make less than 1% where I live. If a cat gains weight with the amount you feed, you cut down calories. It's not difficult.

Not getting them neutered has a bunch of health risks including constant stress and especially for male cats, aggression. They will turn that aggression to you too. And of course will mark the house with urine often. THAT, you would go through all his life.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats don't get fat when they are neutered. It's a myth.

Cats only get fat when you feed them too much and don't give them enough exercise.
:yeah:

What makes cats fat is the same as with people: a poor calorie and junk heavy diet and no exercise. Read this for more about obesity in cats and how to prevent it: Feline Obesity: An Epidemic of Fat Cats

TCS is a pro spay / neuter web site. Here are some articles:

The procedure is very safe although nothing is 100% risk free. Cats with pre-exisiting health conditions, which may not be known at the time of a surgery, are more at risk of developing issues during a surgical procedure. Like with people, cats are hooked up to monitors and such and are closely monitored by trained staff during a surgery. A neuter is a simple procedure that males quickly recover from. A spay is more involved since the abdomen has to be opened but still safe and many females recover. You may want to ask your vet to do a full exam and blood work before the neuter to be sure that there will be no complications.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently had my 15-month-old male neutered. Normally I do it a lot younger, but with. . .everything going on, I just kept putting it off. Well, everything was fine until he started hosing down the place, spraying urine rather obsessively. He immediately stopped after neutering, even though it supposedly takes a while for the hormones to go down.

Can you live with a sprayer? Most people don't want to. That's probably the main reason for neutering housecats.

Testosterone does burn a lot of calories, so neutered males have to eat less. But it's not that hard to just feed him less. I feed my cats all canned food and they are not fat. Canned food is easier because it's higher in protein and the higher moisture content makes them feel full faster.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reduce his caloric intake. I would feed him scheduled meals instead of free feeding and consider switching to a wet food. Dry food is highly caloric and cats can easily become overweight on it. I too don’t like fat animals. I don’t think they are cute and feel bad for them as it isn’t their fault. Being a responsible pet owner is limiting a pet’s diet. So, get your boy neutered and cut back on his food.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Heavy majority of cats with a home are spayed/neutered. Where I live too. Overweight cats would make less than 1% where I live. If a cat gains weight with the amount you feed, you cut down calories. It's not difficult.

Not getting them neutered has a bunch of health risks including constant stress and especially for male cats, aggression. They will turn that aggression to you too. And of course will mark the house with urine often. THAT, you would go through all his life.
Just watch what and how much and how often you feed them...And he will be fine

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Reduce his caloric intake. I would feed him scheduled meals instead of free feeding and consider switching to a wet food. Dry food is highly caloric and cats can easily become overweight on it. I too don’t like fat animals. I don’t think they are cute and feel bad for them as it isn’t their fault. Being a responsible pet owner is limiting a pet’s diet. So, get your boy neutered and cut back on his food.
I totally agree..just got my 5 month old kitten that my son gave me to keep me company cause My boy went cross the bridge and I felt so alone
Neutered

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my fixed cats are fat. If you free feed your cat, and your cat is not a grazer so will overeat, no matter if he is neutered or not he will get fat. Dry food is full of carbs, and cats who are free fed dry and overeat always tend to be overweight. Males should be fed lots of wet food anyways to help prevent some UTIs. Just get him fixed, stop free feeding and feed more wet (which is less fat and calories then dry food) and you won't have an overweight cat.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no doubt neutering has made my cat gigantic I wish I never bothered getting him neutered, if i don't feed him my neighbours do because he keeps begging for food

M_Intentions

Alliecat67
Kitten
Purraise
There is no doubt neutering has made my cat gigantic I wish I never bothered getting him neutered, if i don't feed him my neighbours do because he keeps begging for food
Luckily my boy is indoors and I have absolutely zero intentions of letting him out. Obviously escapes can happen but I definitely feel sense he was rescued from living outside and practically starving he has no urges to bolt for the door like my friends cat who is neutered but was given outdoor privileges. Unfortunately for her cat he got sick eating too many small animals and the vet said no more. He’s been throwing a tantrum ever since his outdoor time was taken away.

M_Intentions

Alliecat67
Kitten
Purraise
I recently had my 15-month-old male neutered. Normally I do it a lot younger, but with. . .everything going on, I just kept putting it off. Well, everything was fine until he started hosing down the place, spraying urine rather obsessively. He immediately stopped after neutering, even though it supposedly takes a while for the hormones to go down.

Can you live with a sprayer? Most people don't want to. That's probably the main reason for neutering housecats.

Testosterone does burn a lot of calories, so neutered males have to eat less. But it's not that hard to just feed him less. I feed my cats all canned food and they are not fat. Canned food is easier because it's higher in protein and the higher moisture content makes them feel full faster.
Thanks for the response. I’ve decided to get him neutered mostly for the spraying and I don’t want to risk his sweet and loving personality turning hostile but it’ll have to wait until about November unfortunately.

I hope I don’t come off as completely irresponsible but where I live everyone pinched pennies tightly, and wet food is more costly than dry cat food (he’s on Purina One: sensitive skin and stomach if that helps). I plan on asking the vet when he’s getting neutered my high concerns for obesity and his/her recommendations for avoiding this problem. I’ve already been measuring out his food intake unlike my friend who free feds (ironically her cats aren’t actually fact and she has them both altered but I don’t wanna risk it.) Do you think limited dry food would be okay...?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying and Neutering does not make Cats fat, free feeding with dry food does. Some Cats just don't eat much and can get away with being grazers but most Cats will get overweight with free feeding. The best quality dry food is worse than the worst quality canned food, because it has next to no moisture content and Cats are meant to get their water intake from their prey. They don't normally drink water if fed a proper diet and often do not drink enough to make up for the lack of moisture in dry food, so they can end up dehydrated which brings it's own health issues.

Canned food is not that expensive, even decent stuff is going to be around $3 to $5 a day to feed an average Cat.

The other benefit to not feeding your Cat junk is he'll have less health problems overall, which means less money spent on vet bills.

M_Intentions

Alliecat67
Kitten
Purraise
Spaying and Neutering does not make Cats fat, free feeding with dry food does. Some Cats just don't eat much and can get away with being grazers but most Cats will get overweight with free feeding. The best quality dry food is worse than the worst quality canned food, because it has next to no moisture content and Cats are meant to get their water intake from their prey. They don't normally drink water if fed a proper diet and often do not drink enough to make up for the lack of moisture in dry food, so they can end up dehydrated which brings it's own health issues.

Canned food is not that expensive, even decent stuff is going to be around $3 to $5 a day to feed an average Cat.

The other benefit to not feeding your Cat junk is he'll have less health problems overall, which means less money spent on vet bills.
Not meaning any disrespect or anything like that but - I guess it’s completely abnormal that Link is drinking his water? Every morning I have to refill it! And it’s on the counter so no, no dogs is getting into it and he’s the only cat. I did read before cats don’t like drinking but I swear Link loves his water. 😅