Name Three Things - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I did make the shoofly cake yesterday morning. Rick and I each munched on some, I made sure that both Rick's mom and her roommate had two nice chunks, and brought the rest of it into work. It's gone. It's been a while since I made one. And sometimes? The old recipes are still the best recipes.

segelkatt segelkatt Shoo-fly cake is molasses-based. You mix the flour, sugar, and salt together, cut in a cup of butter for crumbs. Take one cup of the crumb mixture out and set aside, then add molasses and a baking soda-hot water mixture to the rest of the crumbs to make the cake. Sprinkle the one cup of crumb mixture to the cake and throw it into the oven for 45 minutes @ 350 degrees. There are no eggs. It's an old PA Dutch cake, I'm thinking. Shoo-fly pie is pretty much the same thing, but in a pie shell. It's wetter than a cake. If you like molasses, you'd like the cake. (BTW, I think it's called Shoo-fly because the cooks used to put their pies or cakes on a windowsill to cool them down. The molasses would attract the flies to the baked product, so the cooks would wave their arms and say, "Shoo! Shoo fly!" I don't know if that's true.) Shoo-fly pies are very popular in Pennsylvania.
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked four miles, and got ready for work
  • The guy from Lowes is coming this afternoon to look at and measure for the new doors. I'm excited. :) We've lived in this house since 1985 and still have the original front doors on the house. They've been painted, but they're still the same doors.
  • Must grab a few groceries tonight at some point
  • Scoop the boxes

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I've kept the wood stove going, had the cable/internet guy out here briefly, and have made a phone call.

i have a few more calls to make.

I'll wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes, and slice/wrap/label/freeze the cakes i baked yesterday. I'll run the oven cleaner too, as about a tablespoon of batter dripped over one of the cake pans and now needs cleaning off the bottom of the oven.

After that, I'll play some computer games, continue with a jigsaw puzzle, and watch some tv.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I bet the shoo fly pie is delicious. I love molasses. You are so good to your mother in law and your husband.
Thanks muffy muffy . She's a good woman, she taught me so much about cooking and baking, and I owe her everything. Rick's a good guy, too. We make each other crazy sometimes, but I love the man.

The Lowes guy was here yesterday. We got our doors ordered, they should be here around the end of the month, and will be installed sometime in May when Rick and I are on vacation. I'm excited. We put it on the card, so we got 5% off the cost of the doors; that was a nice savings. He said it probably won't show up on the card until this weekend, so we'll go down Friday night and pay it off. 5% is 5%.
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked 4 miles, and got ready for work. Put gas into the Tucson on my way in this morning.
  • Must scoop the boxes (I forgot all about them last night.....I know, kitty blasphemy! While I was walking, Rick scooped the ones in the living room and kitchen this morning because they get used the hardest. I don't know where my mind was. I know I had thought about it, but then I got sidetracked. It happens.)
And that's pretty much it for today. It's only Tuesday and it already seems like this week is taking forever to get through.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, and have kept the wood stove going.

I also sliced/wrapped/labeled/froze the better part of the two cakes. A couple notes on the It Won't Last Cake, recipe -- I've found that there's more batter than can fit into a 12-cup bundt pan. I do add the optional maraschino cherries, and that might be where the extra batter comes from. :dunno: So, I've made a note on the recipe, to use one 12-cup bundt pan and one mini bundt pan. That should prevent any drippy-overflow while baking. Also, I hadn't thawed enough banana for the recipe, was 1 1/2 cups short (for a doubled recipe). So I added extra crushed pineapple, without juice, of the same amount -- 1 1/2 cups. That turned out really well. :yess: I felt confident enough to do that, which surprised me. I figured that as long as I kept the wet to dry ingredients......ratio/percentage (?) the
same, it should turn out okay.

I've got the oven cleaner running now. I'll wipe the bottom of the oven after it cools down.

I played some computer games earlier, and will watch tv after dinner.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Shopping day. I picked up a new ceramic bird bath at a great bargain, shopped for solar lights to replace those that didn’t survive the winter and looked for the equipment I need for my first summer project - removing the paint from my concrete porch by sandblasting it. Once I get that done I will be tiling it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, and have kept the wood stove going.

I also sliced/wrapped/labeled/froze the better part of the two cakes. A couple notes on the It Won't Last Cake, recipe -- I've found that there's more batter than can fit into a 12-cup bundt pan. I do add the optional maraschino cherries, and that might be where the extra batter comes from. :dunno: So, I've made a note on the recipe, to use one 12-cup bundt pan and one mini bundt pan. That should prevent any drippy-overflow while baking. Also, I hadn't thawed enough banana for the recipe, was 1 1/2 cups short (for a doubled recipe). So I added extra crushed pineapple, without juice, of the same amount -- 1 1/2 cups. That turned out really well. :yess: I felt confident enough to do that, which surprised me. I figured that as long as I kept the wet to dry ingredients......ratio/percentage (?) the
same, it should turn out okay.

I've got the oven cleaner running now. I'll wipe the bottom of the oven after it cools down.

I played some computer games earlier, and will watch tv after dinner.
Did you major in home ec in college?

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Boxes
  • Tea x 3, being naughty by having 3
  • Cleaned up as the Vincie girl is trying to cough up a hair ball,:barf:
also making a list for groceries, etc.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom Banana and crushed pineapple sounds yummy! Really good for a cake.
susanm9006 susanm9006 Your bird bath sounds very pretty. I would love to see pictures of your porch as you go on with it, if you don't mind.

Speaking of Home Ec....I took it. And got a D. I hated cooking and I really hated sewing. No patience for either. I do cook now, but I still have no patience for sewing at all.

I got my pension info from work. Rick and I sat down with everything last night and had a good, long discussion about it all. We're still on track for retirement. We do want to get the shed done this year yet, while I'm still working. But we think we're going to be OK.
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked four miles, sorted through laundry, and got ready for work. I started driving Clarence this morning, but see that he needs windshield wipers, so I'll have to get those tonight. Rick read that only 2% of American drivers now drive stick-shift; I'm in the minority! :lol: Although Dear Richard says I usually am in the minority....with everything.
  • Laundry night
  • Trash night, so Rick will do the litter boxes. I'll do a quick vacuum about the house when he's finished.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I've kept the wood stove going, have thawed some butter, have made a phone call, and assorted other things. I've also played some computer games.

this afternoon I'll make some cherry carob brownies, cool them, then slice/wrap/label/freeze. I'll wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes.

After that, I'll likely watch some tv.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
3758A133-AA2B-4320-8E8B-4C21AAF60339.jpeg
Winchester Winchester I will be happy to post pics as I get going. I did a dumb, dumb thing a few years ago and put a “stain” over the concrete porch, which predictably started peeling at the edges a year later. I started trying to remove all the paint last year with chemicals, sanders etc and barely made a dent. So on to trying sandblasting. I already have the air compressor so I just need to buy the protective gear, the sandblasting tool and the sandblasting medium.

Here is the beautiful birdbath on the ugly peeling porch.

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
For all you people who can do one or another thing well and hate or don't know how many others this probably comes as a surprise. When I grew up the only thing we girls learned in school regarding home or work was sewing, embroidery, darning, girls were not expected to get jobs besides maybe as a cashier/sales lady. All the other housewifely things we learned from our mothers. I hated all of that stuff and I did not like housewifely things either. Washing dishes, sweeping, dusting, peeling potatoes, cooking, ironing ugh! All I wanted to do was read and sing. As a city girl I knew nothing first hand about how to grow anything but I certainly knew the theory of lots of different things as anything printed was devoured.
Forward many years: as a wife and mother and always being short on money I learned just about everything in practice that formerly I only knew in theory which now stood me well. I turned out to be a really good cook and baker, learned how to can and pickle things, sewed my small children's clothes from my cut down dresses and daddy's suits, and how to get and keep a home clean in record time and with minimum effort. Not until after I turned 40 did I learn how not to kill a houseplant or how to grow a tomato. By then I had also obtained a college degree and had a job. This is when I had a neighbor with a huge garden and just watching what he did and asking lots of questions I became interested in doing this myself. No formal training, just watching, asking questions and reading of course on how to grow whatever I set my fancy too. It worked, I even managed to grow orchids and make them bloom again. Now I have been gardening, mostly veggies, for it seems forever and I'm good at that too, after all practice makes perfect. So just because you did not have home ec or took some fancy course elsewhere does not mean you can be bad at everything you did not learn then. Anyone can learn anything as long as it is of interest and there is hardly anything that I am not interested in. My mother had this plaque hanging on her wall that said something to the effect of "Never say "I can't do that". You can do anything when love or duty calls. Never say "I can't do that". This is so very true. I'm thinking of learning pottery but so far nothing concrete, maybe never. I still read everything that comes my way but no junk novels, you know the stuff drugstores sell.
So what am I doing today. Nothing I don't have to which is why I am boring everyone here with my chatter which could easily be considered bragging, it's not. Fed the kitties, made my bed, ate breakfast, inspected the LitterRobot (yeah, only half full!), unloaded the dishwasher and ran the wet mop over the tiles in the kitchen, bath and hallway where I had spilled something and then dragged my dirty shoe prints all over before taking the shoes off and so at least kept the dirt off the carpet. I will do absolutely no "work" for the rest of the day.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Boxes
  • Tea x 2
  • Trying to remove the stench of skunk spray. I opened the slider to take the dirty litter to the rubbish can and wowza! It'll go away eventually.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 I really like your birdbath! Good luck getting your porch cleaned off. Be careful!

segelkatt segelkatt I had to take Home Ec; there was no choice. And I hated it with a passion. There was no interest in cooking at all for me. When I got married, Rick's mom took me under her wing and, before I knew it, I was cooking up a storm. And my cooking explorations got Evelyn more involved in cooking and baking, too. We've always talked a lot about recipes. When I wanted to try something new, she was right there with me. My own mother had us in the kitchen as gophers: Go for the potatoes! Go for a couple jars of tomatoes! Go for this or that! And then to wash the dishes. She didn't want to take the time to teach us anything. And I literally could not fry an egg when I got married. I didn't know how.

We kids were responsible for keeping the house clean and doing the laundry. I can sew a button on something and I can hem something. But I'd rather not.

In school, I took the business classes because there was no way my parents could send me to college. I always wanted to go, but they never had the money. (Interestingly, they came up with the money to send my sister to modeling school....but that's another story.) So it was shorthand, bookkeeping, and the like. I didn't like that either. But I dearly loved biology and all my science classes. Go figure. And I've always been an avid reader.

It wasn't until after our paper plant got locked out and we eventually came back to work, that I was able to hit college. The company had a program and I was able to take advantage of it. It took me ten long years, but I did graduate. With honors, too, I might add. I've often said that kids should not go to college because they don't care enough yet. It's all just given to many kids and they don't appreciate it. After they've been out in the "real world" for a few years, then they get it. And then, they appreciate it more. That's just my :2cents:.

Anyway, that's my chatter for the morning, too.
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked four miles, and got ready for work (it's so nice to be driving Clarence again; everybody noticed right away yesterday that he was in the parking lot :). One of my coworkers said, "Now it's official! Spring is here! Pam's driving Clarence!" Clarence is well-known around here :lol:)
  • Must scoop the boxes
  • I think Supernatural is new tonight. I'll play some Nintendo until 8:00, then Mollipop and I will go to bed and watch tv for a while.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tired this morning and ready for the weekend. We had a bit of snow and I drove into work in sleet. The roads were warm enough, though, that they were fine. We are to get rain pretty much all day with periods of snow and sleet throughout.

Almost got into an accident this morning on my way into work; thank goodness I was actually paying attention! I was driving the Tucson (Hannah) because of the bad weather and I was in the passing lane; a trailer truck was in the right lane. The car in front of the truck put his right turn signal on, pretty much at the last minute. The truck couldn't stop, tried to slow down, and came over into my lane. I saw what was going to happen and swerved over into the middle turn-off lane as did the car behind me. Had I not moved, the truck would have hit me and probably the car behind me, too. I'm really glad the road wasn't slippery; that could have been ugly. But crisis averted and I made it into work. (I think I heard Hannah whisper "Whew!".)
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked four miles, and got ready for work
  • Go to the bank during lunch today. I've had a savings account for years that I really never touched much. Put in a little here and there; it all adds up. Whenever I had enough spare change, I threw it into that account. I want to see exactly what I have in the account to see where I'm at for the shed.
  • CVS for meds for The Beast, Lowes to pay for the doors and for softener salt
  • Must scoop those boxes

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We didn't make it to Target or to Lowes last night; Rick's sinuses are bad again. He came home last night and crashed. He got up this morning, took The Beast out to pee, and crashed again. He's living on meds.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, got 2 miles in this morning, and am sitting back here with my coffee. I'll scoop the boxes in a little while.
  • Banking, Lowes, CVS (hopefully this morning)
  • Vacuum and swiffer this afternoon
  • Then go outside and get some yard work done

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Glad you didn't have an accident. I like the names of your vehicles. Does Rick have chronic sinus problems? My ex-husband did as well; sinus infections every other month and doc recommended a surgery that corrects a deviated septum but he never had it done. Doc said he would even fix his rather large nose but he still wouldn't have it done.

• Boxes
  • Tea x , Chai this morning, really living it up :cheerleader:
  • Washing about 10 throws that have Callie throw up and hair on them using Tide, Gain Fireworks and Fabric Softener so they'll be nice and fresh
Supposed to in the 60s here in NE Ohio so I'll be able to be outside, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.