Name three things - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today i'll pre-measure for the double batch of cherry nanaimo bars (which i'll make coming up soon -- no baking required, just stove top stuff). i'll also wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes, and take out the trash and recycling -- well, i'll have to wait and see if the weather allows (forecast is for heavy rain here today).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I wish some of you who are talking about pecans could be here when I have to pick them up off the ground and put them in buckets. We only have one tree, but it produces a crop every year. Some year, it is abundantly above all that I need.
I take them to church and beg people to get them.

Today, I am doing laundry. I have the living room half vacuumed, so I have to finish that. Then it is me and the ironing board for a while. Yuck. I hate ironing worse than cleaning the toilets.
Oh wow. We sure could use them! A man who works with Rick said that he'd come in this fall to pick up our walnuts, if we're sure we don't want them. Turns out, he loves the things. Rick told him to c'mon in and take all he wants. We've noticed that walnuts tend to produce better every other year; one year, we get a nice crop and then next year, we get inundated with them. Tons of them. That one tree sure does give us the walnuts....I wish we liked them.

Tired this morning and just didn't want to get out of bed.
  • Breakfast for the kids, 2 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, general clean-up in the kitchen, and grabbed my shower
  • Pool chemical store was closed yesterday, so Rick will stop tonight. He also has a dentist appt right after work. And he also has to stop at the hospital to pick up the Amoxi for Pepe. When we got home on Tuesday, the syringe was in the bag; the Amoxi was not; when I called down, it was still in the fridge at the hospital. He'll grab it after his dentist appt. He has a list of errands tonight.
  • I'm going out over to lunch to get Rick a Father's Day card from the furkids. They always give birthday cards, Mother's Day, and Father's Day cards to us.
  • And tonight is just a quick vacuum about the house, nothing big

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow. We sure could use them! A man who works with Rick said that he'd come in this fall to pick up our walnuts, if we're sure we don't want them. Turns out, he loves the things. Rick told him to c'mon in and take all he wants. We've noticed that walnuts tend to produce better every other year; one year, we get a nice crop and then next year, we get inundated with them. Tons of them. That one tree sure does give us the walnuts....I wish we liked them.

Tired this morning and just didn't want to get out of bed.
  • Breakfast for the kids, 2 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, general clean-up in the kitchen, and grabbed my shower
  • Pool chemical store was closed yesterday, so Rick will stop tonight. He also has a dentist appt right after work. And he also has to stop at the hospital to pick up the Amoxi for Pepe. When we got home on Tuesday, the syringe was in the bag; the Amoxi was not; when I called down, it was still in the fridge at the hospital. He'll grab it after his dentist appt. He has a list of errands tonight.
  • I'm going out over to lunch to get Rick a Father's Day card from the furkids. They always give birthday cards, Mother's Day, and Father's Day cards to us.
  • And tonight is just a quick vacuum about the house, nothing big

Those black walnuts are wonderful when they are added to the chocolate frosting on a cake.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish some of you who are talking about pecans could be here when I have to pick them up off the ground and put them in buckets. We only have one tree, but it produces a crop every year. Some year, it is abundantly above all that I need.
I take them to church and beg people to get them.

Today, I am doing laundry. I have the living room half vacuumed, so I have to finish that. Then it is me and the ironing board for a while. Yuck. I hate ironing worse than cleaning the toilets.
I wish I could be there to pick them up too! And I love ironing! I set up my board in front of the TV, put on a movie, and go to town.

Tonight I have an interview for a 2 year old. I'll have 4 openings in September so I hope it goes well. Before that I need to tidy the kitchen and living room. After the interview I don't know... Maybe finish switching out the boys' winter/summer clothes. Or maybe I'll iron. I'd rather iron than go into the attic.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today i've got the dishes washed and the litter boxes scooped already. later this morning, i'll make more sports drink powders. i'll also pull a pound of butter out of the freezer and get it thawing in the fridge, and move another jar of milk to the fridge to thaw.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Those black walnuts are wonderful when they are added to the chocolate frosting on a cake.
Mom used a lot of black walnuts: taffy, nut brittle, fudge, on top of cakes, in coffee cakes, in ice cream. Dad loved walnuts, so that's what she used most often. Maybe that's why I don't care for them so much....because we had them all the time when I was younger. I used to beg Mom to make peanut brittle, but well, she had walnuts, so that's what she used.

muffy muffy , my mom made a great spice cake, but then she'd throw walnuts into the cake (and ruin it, IMO :lol:). She used a simple white frosting and then she'd sprinkle more walnuts on the frosting. You know, I kind of wish I had a (small) piece of that cake, too.

I have a lot of good memories with black walnuts though. We'd get up in the morning, have breakfast, get in the car and go walnut hunting. Dad knew where the best trees were; he always asked permission first and most people were just glad not to have to deal with the walnuts. He showed me to take the heaviest walnuts. Then we'd get them home and spread them out on cardboard on the garage floor to dry. After a couple weeks, he'd run the car over them (to help get the husks off). And then he and I would grab our gloves, husk the nuts, take them to the basement, spread them out again, and then let them dry a bit longer. Then we'd start cracking the walnuts and picking the meat out of the shells. Hours! I'm telling you, hours we would sit on the living room floor, watching tv and picking those blasted walnuts. We didn't talk much. But it was nice. We ended up with quarts and quarts AND QUARTS! of walnut meats. Worth a small fortune probably, even back then.

Cloudy and showery today with t-storms coming. It was raining when Clarence and I came into work, more like a mizzle, I think, at this point. Misty and drizzly. A mizzle.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, made the bed, scooped the boxes, grabbed my shower, stopped on my way to work for a Father's Day card for Rick from the furkids
  • Rick's glasses came in, so we're going down tonight after work to pick them up.
  • And while we're out and about, it's time for a new keyboard. I still have the original keyboard to my computer and the numbers and letters are getting worn off; it doesn't really bother me, but Dear Richard is throwing a :livid: every time he has to use the blasted thing. And to be fair to Rick, I have noticed that some of the keys are starting to stick; when I use the left SHIFT key, it will stick on me sometimes. The CAPS key will stick and that makes him crazy. He had so much trouble last night that I heard him muttering and cussing about it; it's harder to type in passwords when the keys are sticking. We'll stop at Staples and see what they have.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was up early:

Breakfast for both me and Artie
Give Artie all his meds plus sub-q's
Regular morning stuff
Swiffered the laminate floor
Hairdressers--desperately need to have hair done
Make salad for supper
Run to Rite Aid for a couple of things

Possibilities: down to beach to see if I can spot any Tall Ships docked out side the bay, for the parade into Boston Harbor, tomorrow morning.

Write out some bills.

Rest of the day will be lazing. Back is acting up--still sore, and in some spasm from the other night. I need a therapeutic massage...

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Well All this talk about walnuts has me fascinated! I never paid attention to what trees are what around here. I know some fruit trees-growing up there was a guy who had a Peach tree and I would eat a TON of fresh peaches off his tree=he begged us to take them! (Had I known how to can at 12-15 I would have!)

And Hersey's used to be a popular item in our house=Jon quit buying them because 1=they are now made in Mexico I found out- 2-they don't use whole almonds in their milk chocolate bars anymore. He says they don't taste as good.

So maybe this winter=will buy some good milk chocolate-melt it and make our own candybars. LOL.

Yesterday=vacation day=the Directv console broke. I called Wed Night to complain of crappy signal for months=they hit the reset button on their end= POOF! no more signal! So they said they would send a tech out the next morning-got a new receiver and it's extra fee a month..but that's all they have now-HDtv. So for 24 months locked in a contract=now I decided-try it for 6 months-this takes us to Christmas=In Jan I will disconnect it and go with an antenna but I don't have high speed internet so not worth it.

My DSL is only 5 mbps so not fast enough to stream video. Otherwise I would use Netflix etc.

So cable got fixed yesterday
Watched 2 episodes of SVU law n order on my tablet
Rested my foot all day-Jon was annoyed with me.
Ate too much crap-seems at work I have designated breaks so I don't snack too much.

Tonight: weed some more of gardens and plant rest of petunias=I have 7 plants to stick into ground.

I also stuck my resume on indeed, Monster and Ziprecruiter. I also updated my LinkedIn account.

So got a few things done this week.
Reading Undercover by Danielle Steel at night before bed-I sleep better-I have to put my phone down at 7pm otherwise I never sleep well.

This weekend-working long hours-looks like potential for long hours Sat and possibly Sun.

The heat has gone away for a few days so not too ill feeling. I understand the headaches and yucks during the summer. Personally I would live in the Pool if I ever had one.

Next week-got to drop off more books at my book booth=I just need to price them-then ready to extend my 40% off sale for the summer-then the fall do 50% off. The place I used to buy books-still has the prices jacked HIGH. So looks like my vision of a book store is poof! I have to figure out a hobby or something-because when overtime dries up I need to figure something out..

Someone win the Powerball?! I don't need much-just a cheap piece of property to put up a small building for a studio=so I can draw/paint and write books...oh and have cats..and take care of cats...

happy Friday everyone!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could be there to pick them up too! And I love ironing! I set up my board in front of the TV, put on a movie, and go to town.

Tonight I have an interview for a 2 year old. I'll have 4 openings in September so I hope it goes well. Before that I need to tidy the kitchen and living room. After the interview I don't know... Maybe finish switching out the boys' winter/summer clothes. Or maybe I'll iron. I'd rather iron than go into the attic.
Back in the mid-1940s, my father was in the merchant marines. He would be at sea anywhere from three to six months at a time. My mother was a new bride. When he got ready to leave, she ironed all his clothes, including his underwear, and packed them for him. He was far out on the ocean when he unpacked his underwear and found that my mom had carefully starched each piece before ironing it!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My mother firmly believed in ironing. Wait, let me re-phrase that: My mother firmly believed in me doing the ironing. With a soda bottle with holes in the top and filled with water and a very old iron. I had to iron my dad's clothes, my mom's clothes, our clothes, the sheets and pillowcases, tablecloths, you name it, I ironed it.

I will iron some things around here. Some tablecloths, some of my shirts. That's pretty much it. And only if I have to. I probably use my iron 3-4 times a year. But I'm a real stickler for taking clothes out of the dryer promptly. And that's why.

It's humid around here this morning; I wouldn't say that it's really warm, but man, it's sticky.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, made the bed, Rick is scooping the boxes now
  • Banking
  • Must do all the things we didn't get done last night: Rick's glasses, new keyboard, etc. Got a little side-tracked yesterday and didn't get anything done we wanted to do last night
  • Buy and plant some spreading petunias (I think that's what they're called) in the windowboxes at the shed
Rick's mom fell yesterday and she is in a nursing home for some rehab. Fortunately she didn't break anything; when she fell, the aides at the assisted living facility didn't like the way her leg was positioned and they thought she broke her hip. But nothing is broken and the CAT scan showed nothing wrong with her head. She is severely bruised again and her face is pretty much black and swollen at this point. She's in bad shape. Rick spent the evening at the hospital, waiting with her until a spot in a local nursing home opened up; I had to come home to take care of The Beast and make sure the girls didn't starve. We have to run some errands for her this morning, pick up a few things that she needs.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today i've already washed the dishes and got a cooked pork chop thawing in the fridge. later this morning, i'll cook the rice and dice the pork chop (for the pork fried rice i'll be making tomorrow), get (other) things ready for making the pork fried rice, then scoop the litter boxes and take out the trash and recycling. i'll see if i make time to do a little work on my budget today too.

Winchester Winchester i'm so sorry to hear that your MIL fell! i'm also very glad that she didn't break anything, but those bruises sound quite bad. sending :vibes::vibes::vibes: for a quick and easy recovery for your MIL...

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I am sorry to hear about your MIL.. that is so hard for Rick to deal with. ((hugs)) Hopefully, she will be able to return to her assisted living apartment. It is so hard parents are elderly..

I am up early, for a Humane Society Meeting. This means I have to rush all of Arties meds in a shorter period of time,
plus do all my usual morning things.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We got almost two inches of rain late yesterday afternoon and overnight and it's still really wet and misty out there this morning. It kind of blows all of our plans for yard work. I may have to break down and clean the house or something. :idea: Or play hooky. :lol:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys.....she does not look well at all. Face is all bruised and swollen, her hands and arms are bandaged because her skin tore so badly from the fall. She was admitted into a nursing home last night. We went to see her this morning and took the items up that she wanted. She's very depressed and didn't want us to hang around very long. The rehab people are coming in this afternoon to talk to her, see where she's at both mentally and physically.

So we got out errands done and I should (should!) start to clean at least a little bit. I don't know, though; jumping into the pool sounds like a better option!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
continuing to send :vibes::vibes::vibes: for a quick and easy recovery for your MIL.

today i'll make the pork fried rice, and wash the dishes from making it. i've already washed the daily (accumulated) dishes, and scooped the litter boxes.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom . Rick talked to her last night; her voice is shaky and she's still very upset. Hopefully the rehab will help her and she'll be back in her normal place soon.

I hope your pork fried rice is excellent!

Boy, it's a very sticky morning. Really humid around here. It's not really hot, but the humidity is nasty. We're to the point again where we could use some rain. Thankfully, t-showers are in our forecast today. I woke up with about half a headache and kind of a sore throat; hope I'm not coming down with a cold.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, stripped the bed down, we gave Ms. Pepe her dose of Amoxi. The girls gave Rick his "Pawpurr's Day" card.
  • I need to make macaroni salad and bread pudding for Rick's Pawpurr's Day dinner, but I don't want to even think about turning the oven on!
  • Working on my second load of laundry (did a load of kitty blankets and pillowcases yesterday)
  • Mow the lawn this afternoon, if the weather holds; I will hang out on the riding mower and Rick will push-mow
  • Give Clarence a bath, again, if the weather holds
  • Work on the grocery list and figure out meals for the week
  • Manicure tonight and a mask for my hair

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
- Argue with Aaron about whether or not to call AAA for our flat tire
- Go to Lowe's to find a new window for the garage because we have a big gaping hole right now
- I'd like to go to the cemetery, but we are down to one vehicle, so we'll see how it goes with timing.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester , thank you! the pork fried rice turned out most excellent! :yummy: i had all the prep done for it, so yesterday was just cooking it, then washing the dishes from it. i figure that about once a month through august i'll make some pork fried rice, as it's easy enough to make (i've already baked pork chops for it, during the spring, and now they're in the freezer).

today i'll make a double batch of cherry nanaimo bars, will cool them in the fridge, and then tomorrow will cut them into bars and wrap/freeze them in groups of 4. well, all except two bars, which i'll keep out to enjoy. :D i'll be making another double batch within the next week or so, to use up the maraschino cherries. and i'll measure and freeze the maraschino cherry juice -- will use later this summer or in september to make maraschino cherry juice jelly, once i accumulate enough juice. i'll wash the dishes from making the bars today.

i've already washed the (accumulated) dishes, and scooped the litter boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.