My Journey Towards Better Health

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh God, I hate that Ensure. I just can't do it.
I know, but they sure are an easy way to keep your calorie and vitamin intake up. There are a lot of different brands of meal replacement drinks, though. Pediasure might taste a little better since it's made for kids. Carnation Instant Breakfast is OK. Even Slimfast is fine (slightly lower in calories but not a lot). So maybe you can find one that isn't so bad. They're also better when very cold. Lukewarm, no way, gross.

I would suggest Nido (a vitaminized milk powder used for toddlers who are too old for formula) because I like it :paperbag:, but since milk isn't working for you right now that probably wouldn't be the best idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom is having a panic attack about my Medicaid appointment tomorrow. She told me to please not ask for a medical bed because she doesn't want them to see the house. Are they actually going to inspect the house or will they just deliver the bed like a package? Man, hoarders are hard to understand. I need to get sleep. I don't know if I've gotten any sleep since Sunday. I can't tell because I'm usually alone and in pain, but I don't feel like I've slept at all. I know one reporter died because he was reporting on the war and couldn't sleep. He had a brain Aneurysm from not sleeping.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had the abscess and then resulting fistula, I was on a liquid diet for weeks. The vegetable broth was a good one. It actually tasted decent. Chicken broth was too high in sodium, so I ended up not drinking it. Once I got to semi-solid, it was mashed potatoes (as mentioned), cottage cheese, yogurt and the instant breakfast. The problem with that is the milk. However, my son's girlfriend is vegan and buys almond milk. It's actually pretty good, so you could use that instead.
I would stay away from things like beans and veggies. They have a tendency to cause gas and that's something you don't want to deal with right now. I would also stay away from citrus because of the acid it has. Baked chicken and rice is a good substitute. Try to have a low fiber diet if possible...- doctors approval of course.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're accustomed to seeing houses like that, unfortunately. As long as there aren't children involved, and a space can be cleared so they can get the bed where it needs to go, nothing should come of it. They aren't there to inspect the housekeeping.
my son's girlfriend is vegan and buys almond milk.
Walmart has a coconut/almond mix that I think is the best non-dairy milk. Almond milk by itself is a bit watery and coconut milk is too rich, so together it makes a nice blend.

Are there any cozy recliners in the house? Sometimes it's easier to sleep in one of those when you don't feel well.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom is having a panic attack about my Medicaid appointment tomorrow. She told me to please not ask for a medical bed because she doesn't want them to see the house. Are they actually going to inspect the house or will they just deliver the bed like a package? Man, hoarders are hard to understand. I need to get sleep. I don't know if I've gotten any sleep since Sunday. I can't tell because I'm usually alone and in pain, but I don't feel like I've slept at all. I know one reporter died because he was reporting on the war and couldn't sleep. He had a brain Aneurysm from not sleeping.
You NEED the bed. I know you love your mom and care about and for her -- that is natural! but right now, it's critical to keep your focus not on others' motives and reasons, but on your own SURVIVAL and recuperation. GET THE BED.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
noone is going to inspect the house. They have movers to deliver the bed-they are used to cluttered houses. Tell your mother-she's probably the 207th house they have seen. Seriously she's being ridiculous. Maybe best to give her the silent treatment right now or agree with her but tell medicaid what you need. OR go see DAD. Tell DAD get off his ASS and shut her up!!!!! Seriously!!! You want me to talk to him?! you have my number=call me-I will speak to him!!!!

Are you not eating yet?? You need a min of 1200 calories a day or at the minum 800 calories to start.. A can of ensure is I think 220? 300 calories? you need to be getting at least 2 of them in you. Brand names are much better than no name.

Get cambels soup rice and chicken soup...that's a good one to start with-it gets watered down with another can of water and easy to heat. Send Dad out to get some things as mentioned earlier.

They have cooked chickens in the deli. Pull off skin, mash with fork, and EAT.
Those precooked rice is perfect for you or the french toast I sent you in your messenger.

It's really important to get something in there but not junk food or thick heavy food...the colon is a living thing-it needs things to pass through to heal. This is the body's only way of absorbing nutrients.

Get some pedialyte. Some slim fast-it's thick and tastes not bad. Something is better than nothing.

Drink your apple juice. It's got some calores so it won't leave you without calories like water does.

For me, Gatorade was my saving grace after my surgery..I always water it down 50/50.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as there aren't children involved, and a space can be cleared so they can get the bed where it needs to go, nothing should come of it.
Thank God. I just want that bed. Maybe mom can leave for the day and dad can take all the blame for the clutter. He won't care as long as I'm alive. How soon do you think they will get the bed to me?

Are there any cozy recliners in the house?
I tried the recliner last night and I was just in too much pain to sleep. I can try again tonight. I need that medical bed. I'm starting to get scared, because I don't know if I have slept or not.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank God. I just want that bed. Maybe mom can leave for the day and dad can take all the blame for the clutter. He won't care as long as I'm alive. How soon do you think they will get the bed to me?

I tried the recliner last night and I was just in too much pain to sleep. I can try again tonight. I need that medical bed. I'm starting to get scared, because I don't know if I have slept or not.
I have insomnia. I get up several times a night. It's partly my own fault, too, because I love to drink lots of lemonade or iced tea late at night. Someone once told me I must be getting enough sleep, because I function normally, do my work, etc. So I'm passing that along. You may need less sleep because you're resting and not expending a lot of energy right now, too. You're going to sleep when you're exhausted, whether or not you're aware of it afterwards.
I don't know how soon the bed will get there, but I pray it's soon. Like NOW.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to get scared, because I don't know if I have slept or not.
Usually, barring some unusual circumstances like bombs going off next to you (like that reporter you mentioned), your brain will make you sleep when it gets bad enough. So of course it stinks trying to get by on too little sleep, but you shouldn't have to worry about it getting to dangerous levels yet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OR go see DAD. Tell DAD get off his ASS and shut her up!!!!! Seriously!!! You want me to talk to him?! you have my number=call me-I will speak to him!!!!
He has gone almost completely deaf and refuses to get hearing aids. I've got news for him, my brother got him a hearing aid and put it in the mail today. He couldn't even hear the fire alarm (when it went off because of low battery) or me screaming to him to help me up and he's right next door to my bedroom. He needs to be able to rescue me if there's a fire. The only person who ever hears me is the cats. I just couldn't get out of the recliner this morning. So I kept clapping my hands and chanting my dad's name. Maggie heard and alerted him. (She sleeps with him)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you have trouble getting out of bed before the surgery? If not, once you get the staples out it will be much easier and less painful.

As far as the showering instructions, look through the paperwork that they gave you when you left the hospital, there is almost always instructions about wound care and bathing. I have had three major abdominal and five other surgeries and got instructions on both every time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has gone almost completely deaf and refuses to get hearing aids. I've got news for him, my brother got him a hearing aid and put it in the mail today. He couldn't even hear the fire alarm (when it went off because of low battery) or me screaming to him to help me up and he's right next door to my bedroom. He needs to be able to rescue me if there's a fire. The only person who ever hears me is the cats. I just couldn't get out of the recliner this morning. So I kept clapping my hands and chanting my dad's name. Maggie heard and alerted him. (She sleeps with him)
My dad got like that, too. My mom got one of those piercing signal things to keep by the bed. I don't know if she had to use it or not, but that might be an idea. I'm not sure what you call them, but you could ask your case worker. I think you can get them at a drug store.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast: the expired disgusting 1 fruit cup and 1 applesauce cup. Ginger Ale 12oz

Lunch: scrambled eggs and pumpkin English muffin with butter. 16oz Water
Hey, you're doing great! Ginger ale and 7-up/lemon-lime are really good for soothing when you're not feeling well. At least that's what my mom thought, because that, saltines, and celery (don't ask! I have no idea!) were what she'd give when I was sick, along with Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You mean before I went in the hospital? Never had any problems doing anything, pretty much healthy except for my rotting teeth.
Good! Then there is no reason not to believe that in another week or two, after the staples come out you will recover enough to get out of bed without help or discomfort.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, Gatorade was my saving grace after my surgery..I always water it down 50/50.
Dad suggested Gatorade to me this morning, but it didn't sound that appealing.

We no longer have Saltines since mom went gluten free, but I can get some for myself.

Campbell's Well Yes line makes a couple.
I've been eating those all week. They're okay, but I want some real homemade soup. Hopefully soon.