My Journey Towards Better Health

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the nurses knew me from high school. They said weren't you Valedictorian? They asked me about my life and I replied "I have nothing." I figured they would shame me or pity me, but they just smiled with kindness and said, you'll get there. Then I told them, well I do have something, I have 2 feral cats! Do you know what a feral is? So we talked about Maggie & Demi often and I told them about taming ferals.

These were the girls that I wasn't allowed to be friends with in high school because of my mom's religion, they were too "wordly".
I would have liked to have been friends with these girls, so kind.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Sweetie, you went through such an ordeal.
I am so glad you lived through it, to tell us about what you were going through.

When you are under heavy duty pain meds, like morphine; Things do not make any sense at all. You just revert back to your old way of thinking, and disregard the new.

You reverted back to a time when you believed certain things: unfortunately not the any of of the good things.

It is common sense, for us, to accept a blood transfusion.
You were not thinking clearly.

There are some religions which deny it. They are wrong. I am sorry, but they are wrong. There are a ton of religions out there which really do not make any sense.. at lest to me.. A lot of them are founded on fear; this allows a wrong sense of God. God is not fear. You should not be afraid of God..
God is loving and does not want anyone to suffer.. That is what I believe and I believe it is the basis of ALL religions.

Bad things happen, but it is usually because of making the wrong choices.. usually.. not always, but usually.. Love for all is the answer.

Medicine has provided so many good things. To not accept the advances and good things it provides; does not make any sense.. God is love, the pure essence of love...that is my opinion.. sorry if I offend you or anyone else.

Off my soapbox.
~~~~
I am glad you decided against taking a shower. I would not want you to get an infection on top of all you have been through.

Just a sponge bath, and not going anywhere near the staples.

As far as your hair. I am certain you cannot bend over to wash in the sink.. Just pull it back.. let it go.. No one will care. They are there for YOU! Not what your appearance. They want to help YOU..
~~~~~~
Again, I apologize for going off on a tangent.. sometimes I do.. so sorry..

I really do care about you.. please keep posting..
~~
When are your brothers arriving? I am sure you will feel so much better when they are there..

Are you eating anything? soft foods are best.. just a tiny bit at a time. all day long.
You need to get your strength back.. it will take a long time.

Keep in touch.. I have a busy day today..

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, have a lot of regrets in my life- a lot of woulda, shoulda, coulda moments- but then I've had 30 years more than you to accumulate them. The point is not what happened in the past, but what you will do about the future. You were your class valedictorian, and unless they started giving them out in boxes of Cracker Jack, that means that you're smart. I believe that you still have time to create a better life for yourself. The question is, do you believe in yourself?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When are your brothers arriving? I am sure you will feel so much better when they are there..
My brothers are waiting for me to decide when I want them to come. I had wanted to shower first. One brother is down by New York City, the other is right on the edge between Vermont & NY. So it wouldn't take them long to get here, maybe a day's drive?

Are you eating anything? soft foods are best.. just a tiny bit at a time. all day long.
I'm still confused on what to eat. Mostly been eating canned soups which aren't very tasty. I just sent my dad to look and see if we have any juice. I know mom has applesauce, which I don't really ever eat, but I can try it. I'm just used to eating hearty food like pizza, burritos, then going on my crash diets. They consumed my life. :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were your class valedictorian, and unless they started giving them out in boxes of Cracker Jack, that means that you're smart.
My mom's religion didn't allow us to go to college back then, so I lost all my scholarships and ended up minimum wage. I just sort of gave up.

I believe that you still have time to create a better life for yourself. The question is, do you believe in yourself?
I'm starting to believe. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. The fruit cups expired May 7, 2019 and the applesauce cups expired 2018. This is what happens when you eat food in the hoarder house, mom will never throw food away. My brothers are going to have to get her into counseling and a nutritionist. Will I be okay eating expired food? They were sealed. Tasted nasty and sour though. :rolleyes3:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Will I be okay eating expired food? They were sealed. Tasted nasty and sour though. :rolleyes3:
It depends a lot on how they were stored, e.g. cool, dry place is best. If you're not sure you can always google the item's shelf life. Be careful with canned soups since they are usually loaded with sodium. But what's done is done so try not to worry. Think of the Kelly Clarkson song, "What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger." ;) Just trying to add a little humor for levity. I may have missed it but if you make a list of healthy foods can either one of your parents get to the grocery store?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends a lot on how they were stored, e.g. cool, dry place is best. If you're not sure you can always google the item's shelf life.
Maybe that can be my little project this month while I'm healing and can't lift much. I could sort through the canned and boxed food and my dad can compost the expired food while my mom is at church. She doesn't really know what she has for food, so she won't scream about it if she doesn't see it. She will just think that we ate it. My dad can just set out a box of cans on my desk, I'll inventory. Then he can get another batch. Perfect plan. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most sealed foods are fine for quite awhile (years, even) after the "best by" date. Quality may suffer but they're safe at least. Don't eat it if the packaging is puffy (and it isn't supposed to be puffy) though. And if it tastes funny after opening, throw it away.

Do ask the doctors for diet recommendations. I'm thinking that, if you like burritos, you can make a sort of burrito bowl with refried beans, but I don't know if beans are good at this point, even if mashed. So once you have a list it'll be easier to make recommendations.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more day and you'll have some answers on what you can eat! I love applesauce, but I'm a fruit person. I used to mash bananas into it.

The nurses were very sweet, both guy & girl nurses. LPN, RN, I forget all the titles. Some of the guy nurses were gorgeous. They are probably decades younger than me. I don't really know ages anymore. When I see a 21 year old, I think that's me, even though I'll be 44 on Sunday.
I was wondering how old exactly you were. Young enough to start your life over again. You have Maggie and Demi and you can have so much more.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quality may suffer but they're safe at least.
Yeah, I think these would definitely have tasted better if they weren't expired. I'll get some new stuff and compare.

I love applesauce, but I'm a fruit person. I used to mash bananas into it.
I'll try to get a new jar, not the cups. What flavor should I get?

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the Bible verses that some religions use to condemn blood transfusions. They're taken out of context. God said not to consume blood. A lot of the rules God had for what could and could not be eaten were for health reasons, actually. But that's a whole big thing. The point is, those who are against blood transfusions wrongly interpreted certain verses. I had a blood transfusion 6 years ago. Would have died without it. My ex was very abusive and lacerated my spleen and kidney. Lots of internal bleeding.

If you were going to get sick from the expired food, you would be feeling it by now so I wouldn't worry.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have missed it but if you make a list of healthy foods can either one of your parents get to the grocery store?
My dad just got back from Walmart. He tried, but he bought some really weird stuff. :headscratch: I'll post the ingredients below:

Sam's Choice Organic Vegan Protein Broth:
Ingredients: SOYMILK, (FILTERED WATER, WHOLE SOYBEANS), CANE SUGAR, CARROT, SEA SALT, ONION, TOMATO PASTE, CELERY, LENTIL FLOUR, MOLASSES, YEAST EXTRACT, CELERIAC JUICE CONCENTRATE, POTATO FLOUR, YEAST EXTRACT, CARROT POWDER, ONION POWDER, CANOLA OIL, NATURAL FLAVOR, ALL ORGANIC

Sam's Choice Organic Vegetable Broth:
Ingredients: ORGANIC VEGETABLE STOCK (FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC CARROT, ORGANIC ONION, ORGANIC CELERY, SEA SALT), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SEA SALT, ORGANIC CELERIAC JUICE CONCENTRATE, ORGANIC CARROT CONCENTRATE, ORGANIC TOMATO PASTE, NATURAL FLAVOR, ORGANIC ONION POWDER, ORGANIC GARLIC POWDER.

Great Value Vegetable Broth:
Ingredients: VEGETABLE BROTH (WATER, CONCENTRATED VEGETABLE JUICES [CARROT, ONION, CELERY, CELERIAC, CABBAGE]), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, SUGAR, YEAST EXTRACT, DEXTROSE, VEGETABLES (CARROTS, ONIONS, CELERY), POTATO FLOUR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORING, ONIONS, CELERY, DEHYDRATED CARROTS.

Any thoughts on these 3 broths?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't taste great by themselves. Make a good base for soup though. Too bad you can't have hot sauce, that really improves bland broths :tongue:. Maybe add a few ounces of them to the soups you're eating, if you don't like them plain.

Honestly, even though it's nasty, Ensure (or other brand of meal replacement drink) is probably your best bet. They have a high-calorie one if you want to get your daily calories without drinking as much of it. They have different flavors. . .have your dad get one of each and see which one you hate the least. I can stand the Walmart-brand strawberry flavor. Some of the chocolate ones aren't too bad. There are some "breakfast drinks" with oatmeal added for extra fullness.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't taste great by themselves. Make a good base for soup though.
I figured out by the ingredients that 2 of them are just regular veggie broth, which I like... But the vegan protein one, I have no idea what that is. Maybe to make creamy soups? It has soy milk in it. Maybe I'll just put a little in the microwave and sip it to see what exactly it tastes like.

Too bad you can't have hot sauce
I know, I just bought that massive hot sauce collection. But maybe they will last a couple years if not opened? That was expensive. They are mostly habanero, so nothing superhot like ghost pepper.

Honestly, even though it's nasty, Ensure
Oh God, I hate that Ensure. I just can't do it. That's what made me stop eating again. I thought they were trying to kill me with that nasty stuff. :lol: