My Journey Towards Better Health

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was a big misunderstanding anyway. I always think people are making fun of me and nobody was even talking about me. I'm so weird. ;)

I love those instant mashed potatoes that they give you at diners! The really whipped up thin cloudy type. I don't know if we have any diners left around here.

My mom came in and ripped the page off a few minutes ago. It's a kitty calendar.
I just thought of another possibility -- only with doctor's approval even though it's over the counter -- for pain. When I was burned, I was clawing the burns in my sleep and that was a serious no-n
Monday I get my staples out. :eek2:
My doc never got back to me to tell me if I could shower today. I'm terrified. Can I run the shower water right on the staples? Will they fill up with water and then I can't get the water back out? I'm imagining all these crazy scenarios. Can I use washcloth with shower gel? Tell me your experiences please. :bawling:
I don't have any experiences with these, but just wanted to congratulate you on that upcoming milestone. It's mind-boggling to me that they seem to have given you so few post-op instructions! Since you do not know, I personally would wait, and just take a cat bath with a washrag. The site has to be closed so as to protect against bacteria present on the skin. I would wait.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I had my back surgery, I wasn't allowed to get the incision site wet for a week after I was discharged, because of the possibility of infection, and I had no external stitches or staples. Were I you, I would stick to sponge baths only until told otherwise, and be sure to keep the site dry.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you.

Can you wrap/cover the area with plastic wrap? The sticky type, on a roll.

I would not get the area wet. Do you have a clean chair or s clean ice cooler which you can sit on, in the shower? A hand held shower head works great.

Can you get your hands on a shower chair? The best thing to have on the house. Always.

Hopefully you will get help on all this stuff on Friday

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that needs to be emphasized. While you are recovering, your immune system is still compromised, and your ability to fight off infections is much reduced. Your incision site is a perfect gateway for germs, and water is a perfect vehicle for them. It cannot be stressed enough the importance of keeping that incision site dry. Even if you used some sort of waterproof covering, the risk of leakage is just too great. Stick to sponge baths.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure. I took a shower within 24 hours of getting my staples, however, I also had a lot, I mean a lot of stitches also. I had something like 20 on the inside, 30 on the outside and then staples over that. My Gyn was meticulous, I don't even have a scar.
How is yours set-up? Do you just have staples or do you have stitches also?
Without a doctor's approval, I would just wait and do a sponge bath.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had laparoscopic surgery on my stomach a couple of years ago and while not the same in both pain and incision length, the easiest way for me to get out of bed without causing a ton of pain was the adjustable bed in the hospital and then when I got home, I would slowly put pillows behind me until I was close to sitting up enough to get out.

I wish you the best. I've dealt with an eating disorder most of my life so I sympathize. I hope everything gets easier and less stressful for you to work toward better health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's mind-boggling to me that they seem to have given you so few post-op instructions! Since you do not know, I personally would wait, and just take a cat bath with a washrag.
I waited all day for my doc to call me back with instructions, but he never called! So I never got to bathe. I had to lay on my nice clean sheets, with me still dirty. I cried so hard all night.

Can you get your hands on a shower chair?
We have a shower chair & handheld shower head in the tub. Maybe I could use that if I face away from the big shower head above?

Hopefully you will get help on all this stuff on Friday
I want to smell good on Friday though, for my appointment. :(

It cannot be stressed enough the importance of keeping that incision site dry.
Thanks for that bit of info, I had no idea. Glad I didn't try it yesterday.

How is yours set-up?
I see staples and then red bumpy things. I have no idea really what I'm looking at.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also had a lot, I mean a lot of stitches also. I had something like 20 on the inside, 30 on the outside and then staples over that. My Gyn was meticulous, I don't even have a scar.
My doc was going to do all that fancy stuff with the robotic arm, dissolvable stitches, mesh, so that it doesn't leave a scar. But he said that he didn't have time because I was dying. I waited an entire day to come in after my bowels busted into my stomach. And then my mom and I screamed at each other for hours about me getting a blood transfusion. I didn't know that I was screaming for hours because I was so high on the morphine. I guess they needed my signature to give me blood and start the operation, but I wouldn't sign for hours.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So basically my bowels busted into my stomach on Monday Aug 26th at 9am, I actually felt a snap then horrible pain that never stopped.

I finally agreed to go in the ambulance Tuesday Aug 27th around 3am.
They wanted to do the operation and blood transfusion at 9am. But I screamed and refused to sign until Tuesday Night at 4pm.

All I can think of is maybe the morphine was clouding my judgment. Why else would I do that? They thought I had experience with it because I kept screaming Give Me Morphine! Give Me Morphine!

Then after they saved me, all the docs & nurses were celebrating and kidding around with me. But I wouldn't eat and I was basically dying again because they couldn't restart my bowels again with no food.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You, literally, owe your life to those doctors and nurses. When you're feeling better, try to find a nice thank you card to send to them.

About showering, I agree with the others, just do a sponge bath until you can get clarification from your doctors on what you can do. And maybe use a dry shampoo for your hair.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You, literally, owe your life to those doctors and nurses. When you're feeling better, try to find a nice thank you card to send to them.
I was on the Morphine that whole week when they were trying to get me to eat. We all got menus to circle what we wanted. But I was the only one that didn't get what I circled, I got a liquid diet. I couldn't understand the importance of this on the morphine, so I refused to drink it. Everything just tasted so sweet. I screamed that I wanted real food. They tried Shasta Gingerale, Apple Juice, Cranberry Juice, Orange Juice, Chicken Broth, Veggie Broth, Ensure. I especially hated the Ensure, it was so sweet. I started to think they were trying to kill me because they wouldn't give me real food. I just couldn't understand while drugged up. They should have had a nutritionist sit down with me and try to get through to me, or taken me off the morphine. I'm so glad I survived somehow.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so grateful you survived as well. It must have been terrifying, especially not in your right mind with the morphine.

They would probably really appreciate a thank you card when you're feeling stronger.

And I forgot about dry shampoo. That might be a good option for now.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They would probably really appreciate a thank you card when you're feeling stronger.
The nurses were very sweet, both guy & girl nurses. LPN, RN, I forget all the titles. Some of the guy nurses were gorgeous. They are probably decades younger than me. I don't really know ages anymore. When I see a 21 year old, I think that's me, even though I'll be 44 on Sunday.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think almost everyone looks 10 years younger than they actually are these days. So though you're not 21, you probably look like you're in your 30's still. And once you get healthy again, you might be able to pass for 29. ;)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The nurses were very sweet, both guy & girl nurses. LPN, RN, I forget all the titles. Some of the guy nurses were gorgeous. They are probably decades younger than me. I don't really know ages anymore. When I see a 21 year old, I think that's me, even though I'll be 44 on Sunday.
Happy birthday , in advance.