My Journey Towards Better Health

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must have seen your new family doctor by now, right. Do you like her?
I like her now that she told me my blood test was perfect and I don't have to be on any pills. :thumbsup:

Leg cramps could also be simply from lack of movement.
I take an hour walk per day. I was taking it outside until it got to 40 degrees. Now I take my walk inside, around the house.

Too much iron is dangerous, but not enough and you are anemic.
Well that could be it then. The amount of iron in the multivitamin might be too much. I'll try this new iron-free multivitamin for a week and see if that fixes it. Then I can figure out if I need a different iron supplement. Or maybe eat steak?

Taking magnesium citrate is absorbed better when taken between meals.
I didn't know that. I always take my magnesium with dinner.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take an hour walk per day. I was taking it outside until it got to 40 degrees. Now I take my walk inside, around the house.
That's great. But what I was trying to explain, was that at one point, you unfortunately were not as active for quite some time, plenty of time for your legs to tighten up. The fact that you're walking again is fantastic, but the tension in your calves would still be there due to before, so it might take a bit of re-conditioning. Your body when thru the ringer so lots of things will be affected, including the condition of your skeletal tissue. So the stretching, massage and moist heat would really help with that. Also, it is very important to stretch after doing exercise so the muscles don't get too tight, and going for a one hour walk is definitely a good work out for the calves! :thumbsup:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like her now that she told me my blood test was perfect and I don't have to be on any pills. :thumbsup:

Well that could be it then. The amount of iron in the multivitamin might be too much. I'll try this new iron-free multivitamin for a week and see if that fixes it. Then I can figure out if I need a different iron supplement. Or maybe eat steak?

I didn't know that. I always take my magnesium with dinner.
I don't want to be heavy, but imbalances of vitamins can be dangerous, M maggiedemi . Please tell your doctor ALL of the vitamins you are taking or better yet, bring the bottles with you and show them to your doctor. A basic multivitamin-mineral supplement should be more than adequate with a balanced diet, unless you are deficient in something, but supplementing should ALWAYS be done under a professional's care. After what you have been through, it is doubly important that no risks are taken with your health.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She already knows. I had to list my vitamins on the form. I've taken vitamins for over 20 years, with no doctor's help. I can cure just about anything, besides surgery and dental.
Good on ya! But after all you've been through, just want to make sure you continue recuperating and feeling better.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This multivitamin is identical, same brand, it is just iron-free. We'll see if that gets rid of the leg cramps. What other foods have Iron in them? I have steak, hamburger, pot roast, stew beef in the freezer.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Iron is a bit complicated, as there are 2 kinds - iron from animals and iron from plants. The iron from animals (particularly red meat) is absorbed by the body more easily than from plants. Not sure how easily iron from multi-vitamins is absorbed.

Too little iron may eventually cause anemia. But too much can cause problems too. Usually pre-menopause women are ok taking a multivitamin with iron, as they lose some every month through their periods. However, some people (both men and women) absorb too much iron and actually need to have blood taken (i.e. donate blood) to lower their iron levels.

M maggiedemi : you mentioned upthread that your blood work was perfect. So really I think the wisest thing to do would be to contact your doctor and ask if she thinks you need to take a multi-vitamin with added iron, or any vitamins at all.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So really I think the wisest thing to do would be to contact your doctor and ask if she thinks you need to take a multi-vitamin with added iron, or any vitamins at all.
The vitamins are my idea and she's fine with it. Doctors don't seem to care about vitamins much. She just is focused on me eating well.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I want to take an over-the-counter vitamin I will. It's allowed. That's why they are over-the-counter. And nothing is over 100% in them, they are safe. My doctor is happy that I raised all my levels to PERFECT by myself, by my choices of vitamins. I did that.

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for getting carried away with my "advice" :hugs: Nutrition is one of my passions, and I know I tend come across as lecturing, when I try to share what I've learned with people I care about. And not just online. I do it with family and friends too. :ohwell:
Other passions are cats, which is why I'm on this site. :catman: Oh, and Bon Jovi. :biggrin: So think I'll head to the music thread and post some songs. Hope you'll stop by too and post some of your favourites. :musicnote:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for getting carried away with my "advice" :hugs: Nutrition is one of my passions, and I know I tend come across as lecturing, when I try to share what I've learned with people I care about. And not just online. I do it with family and friends too. :ohwell:
Other passions are cats, which is why I'm on this site. :catman: Oh, and Bon Jovi. :biggrin: So think I'll head to the music thread and post some songs. Hope you'll stop by too and post some of your favourites. :musicnote:
IMHO the caring is absolutely wonderful and the concern is absolutely justified, because too much iron can kill, to be blunt, and too much of some other vitamins can, too. So can too little. So, not speaking directly to anyone exept you on this, I thank you.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case you come back M maggiedemi , to answer the question you asked, dark green veggies also contain iron. Spinach, broccoli ect...And of course they contain many other healthy things! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dark green veggies also contain iron. Spinach, broccoli ect...
Thank you for the actually useful advice! I will eat those green veggies as I take my new iron-free multivitamin this week that my doctor is perfectly fine with me taking! My dad is going to take it too, to see if it helps him. Thanks again for the advice without condescension! I very much appreciate it. :redheartpump:

Last edited: