My Foster Adventure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trust me- I know! lol.
The albon is a little old school for treating coccidia... it stops the reproduction of the parasite so it is very slow at showing results. Often leading in the loss of a kitten. A new drug they try is ponzuril? (Spelling?) it kills the parasite. You usually see a difference in 2 days! It is great. It is a drug for horses so most vets haven't heard of it for treatment yet.
I'll have to ask about that.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have done very well with them. I know it was a very rough start but you certainly rose to the challenge. They are adorable. I am so glad you helped them!

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have done very well with them. I know it was a very rough start but you certainly rose to the challenge. They are adorable. I am so glad you helped them!
Thanks! I'm still having some trouble with them. The one with the bad eye is getting better, but now 3 more of them have bad eyes. Two of them keep sneezing nonstop, and mama is still sick with sneezing.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need the medicine for all that you have been using on Mom and the baby with the eye infection. Can you call the vet or take a kitten to let them see that all are sneezing and have the eye problem? If you get the eyes treated early it is easier to stop.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need the medicine for all that you have been using on Mom and the baby with the eye infection. Can you call the vet or take a kitten to let them see that all are sneezing and have the eye problem? If you get the eyes treated early it is easier to stop.
Well, right now, GoFundMe keeps cancelling my request to put the money into my account and I'm trying to sort that out. So..essentially, I have no money. Now Didymus came inside limping. I looked at her foot and there's tree sap stuck and it looks like she has rubbed the entire surface of the pad off trying to get it pulled off. Her foot is bleeding and it's too hard to get off with olive oil.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been reading a lot of suggestions about the sap removal. Not sure what is the safest. Is that a question you could just call and ask the vet over the phone?
Let’s try to get some input from others here. @ashade1 any suggestions?
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue can you help her?@Norachan any experience with this? Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 any connections?@catsknowme your kitties ever get sticky?
I know you don’t want the kitty to lick so much oil they get an upset tummy. Try to blot off what you can. If you don’t get an answer PM me.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try dawn dishwashing soap to see if it would help dissolve it. Mineral oil or petroleum jelly might work too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Peanut butter. Try peanut butter. It will take almost anything sticky off of anything. And it won't hurt her if she licks it.

Not really "here" today. Tied up with medical stuff all day. Just gothome but wanted to answer this one.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Peanut butter. Try peanut butter. It will take almost anything sticky off of anything. And it won't hurt her if she licks it.

Not really "here" today. Tied up with medical stuff all day. Just gothome but wanted to answer this one.
I appreciate that. I'll try it. But the sap is already hardened, so I'm not sure what will work.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appreciate that. I'll try it. But the sap is already hardened, so I'm not sure what will work.
Peanut butter and also coconut oil should help soften the sap, followed by a warm water compress. You can add a little baking soda to the water, about 1 tsp. per cup.
And as a side note, you can use baking soda paste (mix baking soda with a little water) to remove burnt/scorched food off of a pan or pot. The longer you allow the paste to set, the more easily the burnt comes off!

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I'm not sure what I said in my last update. But as of now, two foster kittens have died, and two of my own have died. I took the second part of my GED today (I was homeschooled) and passed. When I came home, my kitten was dead. I had stayed up all night trying to help him. As you can imagine, I am very upset. The rescue I got them from has been no help and only makes matters worse, and the vet still hasn't given me a diagnosis for anyone except for mama. Everyone else is doing pretty well right now. A nasty eye or two and some sneezing, but I think they'll make it.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing 4 kitties - that is a lot of heartache to bear. The losses are some of the worst parts of rescue work but we here at TCS know the trail that you are on & are here for you.
Some of the other Tift kitties had to be put on Zithromax and responded very well, when Clavamox and amoxicillin weren't effective. I suggest that you tell the vet that since theoretically all the illnesses are the same.
And keep sight of the fact that but for you taking on this project. ALL of the kitties would be killed by now.:cold: I am really upset that you lost your personal kitten - so heartbreaking :argh::bawling::bawling2:
Congratulations on passing your GED - your determination has paid off well :goldstar:

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing 4 kitties - that is a lot of heartache to bear. The losses are some of the worst parts of rescue work but we here at TCS know the trail that you are on & are here for you.
Some of the other Tift kitties had to be put on Zithromax and responded very well, when Clavamox and amoxicillin weren't effective. I suggest that you tell the vet that since theoretically all the illnesses are the same.
And keep sight of the fact that but for you taking on this project. ALL of the kitties would be killed by now.:cold: I am really upset that you lost your personal kitten - so heartbreaking :argh::bawling::bawling2:
Congratulations on passing your GED - your determination has paid off well :goldstar:
I've already given them their clavamox for tonight, but my mother has brought home some Zithromax and I will give them that tomorrow. Another one of my kittens has just stopped eating today. She still looks pretty fat, but I'm afraid she'll go down quickly.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Try to syringe feed the ones who won't eat on their own. Adult cats can develop liver problems within just 48 hours of not eating, little kittens are even more vulnerable.

Did you ever try making the chicken bone broth? If you can't make that try syringing KMR into them. Or get some Gerber's Stage ll human baby food, plain meat without any garlic or onions, and feed them some of that with a syringe. If you need to water it down use warm water, as this will make it more appetizing.

There is a canned food by Hills called i/d prescription diet. It's very good for sick cats, it comes as a soft pate that is very easy to syringe feed.

Make sure you keep them warm.

Sending you more vibes.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: