My Foster Adventure

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great advice from Norachan! The Zithromax has helped the other kittens from that batch. Can you tell if the kittens that died are all from the mama cat's natural litter? If so, it could be something specific to them, such as chemical exposure (the mama cat may have been forced to drink contaminated water or sought shelter in a contaminated place - homeless pregnant cats have it VERY rough until a kind soul brings them in). Also, keep giving some pedialyte at a ratio of 50/50 to keep the electrolytes balanced. Do you have probiotics to give them? A good quality plain, unflavored WHOLE milk yogurt fed at least 2 hours (I do 4) before or after the antibiotic dosage is an easy way to add probiotics; you can up the probiotics dosage by sprinkling a capsule's contents on or in the food.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And in the midst of the madness of caring for that many sick cats and kittens, and your deep sorrow when you can't salavage them all, do remember that whatever is going on with these guys happened before they came to you, and is in no way, shape, or form your fault. If not for you, none of them would stand any chance at all.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And in the midst of the madness of caring for that many sick cats and kittens, and your deep sorrow when you can't salavage them all, do remember that whatever is going on with these guys happened before they came to you, and is in no way, shape, or form your fault. If not for you, none of them would stand any chance at all.
:yeah:
You have these cats because no one else would take them in. You are doing the best you can with the resources you have.
Hang in there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
20180924_012331.jpg

As you can tell from this image, there are still a few of these kitties that are sick. I used the micellar water makeup wipes as suggested to clean their noses and eyes. It really works at getting it off without it being too warm or having the scratch at it, the crust just rubs right off. Definitely recommend. I give them water with a bit of pedialyte, canned pate with kmr mixed in. And they're finishing up their five days of medication. I think things are getting better. Still haven't been able to get the money, but I'm still working on that. I went away for the weekend and came back today. I immediately went to check on the kittens and I noticed I was missing one. I looked everywhere for him and the last placed I expected him to be, he was there. In a drawer that I had left open. He somehow closed it on himself. There was no feces or urine in the drawer, so I don't think he was in there long, but it sure did scare me.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:cheerleader: Glad to read that things are going well but too bad that getting the money to you has been such a struggle. It sure sounds complicated. So far, I have had better results with Chase Quickpay and PayPal than GoFundMe although I have not been on the recieving end but it seems like funds go directly into the reciever's account.
I had not heard of micellar water before so I looked it up. It sounds like an awesome product to use.
Is mama cat spayed yet?
Thank you for the update!

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
:cheerleader: Glad to read that things are going well but too bad that getting the money to you has been such a struggle. It sure sounds complicated. So far, I have had better results with Chase Quickpay and PayPal than GoFundMe although I have not been on the recieving end but it seems like funds go directly into the reciever's account.
I had not heard of micellar water before so I looked it up. It sounds like an awesome product to use.
Is mama cat spayed yet?
Thank you for the update!
Mama cat has not been spayed, but I'm working on that. That's my next step.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mama cat has not been spayed, but I'm working on that. That's my next step.
She probably needs time to build up stamina for being anesthetized and healing anyway. Her poor little body was taxed to its limits what with nursing so many let alone fighting off pneumonia and all those other illnesses...her story should be put on LoveMeow! You really have gone through the wringer with her, too.:rock:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She probably needs time to build up stamina for being anesthetized and healing anyway. Her poor little body was taxed to its limits what with nursing so many let alone fighting off pneumonia and all those other illnesses.
:yeah: My vet wouldn't spay one of my cats on the day she had her appointment because she was sniffling a bit, so I think waiting until she's fully recovered from everything is a good idea here.

No rush though, right? She's kept indoors and you don't have any intact males who could get to her, do you?

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah: My vet wouldn't spay one of my cats on the day she had her appointment because she was sniffling a bit, so I think waiting until she's fully recovered from everything is a good idea here.

No rush though, right? She's kept indoors and you don't have any intact males who could get to her, do you?
She does stay inside, but there are a bunch of feral Toms in the neighborhood because my neighbor didn't spay her cats. And they're ALL manx.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty - thank God that you have her inside, protected from gang attack. It isn't the tomcats' faults that mother nature is so cruel but it is very sad how much the unneutered cats all suffer.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty - thank God that you have her inside, protected from gang attack. It isn't the tomcats' faults that mother nature is so cruel but it is very sad how much the unneutered cats all suffer.
Agreed. And since they are manx, it'd probably lead to more deformed kittens. Which nobody wants. Poor babies will have spine problems all because some lady won't neuter her cats.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone come up with any ideas on how to TNR those cats? Here in CA, which is a strict state, allows me to TNR any cat on MY property & so far no one has ever come after me and if they did, I would sue in small claims court for vet costs (I would waive the small ear-tip fee).

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have not been on this thread in a while. But I should do an update. All of the kitties are okay. No more sneezing, all the feces looks healthy, and they are ready for adoption! I am so thankful to everyone who helped, financially and with support. I got my GoFundMe money and I bought GOOD litter! It smells so fresh and clean all the time. Now, I think I want one of those litter genies. Opinions on those? Also, I bought a cat tree. Someone bought a cat tree that cost nearly $200, but their cats were too old to play on it. They sold it to me for $30!! It's probably the fanciest thing I own. Things are just going so well for us here *knock on wood*.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guys, mama Didy is having a seizure. She's vomited, urinated, and she won't stoptwitching. What do I do?!?!.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She will need a vet check, but as scary as it looks, she is NOT in pain, or frightened. She isn't really aware at all. And people AND animals almost always come out of seizures ok. A bit dazed and wobbly for a bit, but with no after-effects, at least not from a single seizure. Just make sure she isn't where she can hurt herself, take a deep breath, and wait. That's all you can do for now.