My Foster Adventure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vomit is caked to her fur, I think she's been like this for a while but I just found her. I thought these wouldn't last long.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really don't have the funding to go to the vet. I've got a little bit, but not much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may be having one after another. If that's the case, Darlin, it doesn't look good. Just...hang in there. Once she quits seizing, clean her up with a damp rag. My heart with yours.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I'm not supposed to ask for financial help, but they won't treat her until I have payment. I am so sorry to all of you, it feels terrible to have to ask. I need help

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
They think she's gotten into something poisonous. I believe it was the plant that someone gave my mother because I just can't think of anything else she could've gotten into.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
We worked something out with the money I had. They gave her a muscle relaxer to stop the tremors. I've concluded that she ate the pothos plants that my mother was given for her birthday on Monday. I don't know why she would've eaten a plant, because it doesn't look that appetizing, but whatever

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew!!! That was a close call!!! Poison was my first thought when I read your s.o.s. post a few moments ago. Poor mama kitty!:shocked: She probably would benefit from some cat grass to eat. I am so glad that you got her medical attention

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave her a muscle relaxer at 10 p.m., but..I'm a terrible person and didn't wake up til 12 p.m., so she didn't get her pill when she was supposed to. She's shaking again so I gave her the muscle relaxer. I wasn't sure if she got it all since she kept spitting it out, so I called the vet. They suggested I give her another pill just in case she didn't swallow the first one. She got most of the second one down. It's an hour later and she's shaking less, but still shaking. I have plans for tonight, but the vet told me I'd need to bring her in later if she's still shaking. So it might ruin my plans. But oh well.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is she doing now?
The vet got her something called like methocarbamol or something for seizures. It's in liquid form because she was having a hard time swallowing the pills. She's doing better today. She slept in my arms all night so I know she wasn't having any seizures last night. She's already eating dry food again, which the vet said would take a few days.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good! I'm glad to hear the vet is optimistic. Indoor only cats always try to go for house plants. It would be a good idea to get her some cat grass to munch on. You can buy it from pet-stores ready grown for a couple of dollars, or buy the seeds and grow your own.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Luciano loves his cat grass. I've done both growing my own & buying. Petco doesn't always have the freshest, but I recently found a little local pet store that has a good fresh cat grass supply.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay guys, I need some help. I love these cats and I have grown very attached to them all, but some of them have got to go. I'm not sure how to advertise cats. And I know some of you have fostered and given away cats before. I've got cute pictures of all of them, but that's all I got. Can i just tell everyone they're pottytrained Christmas presents..? Like, I know I want for some of them to go in doubles, which might be difficult to do, but I don't want them to get lonely in their new homes. I also want to make sure they'll be in a good home that has plans of getting them fixed, because I don't want them to end up in a situation like mine.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Lil Dude Lil Dude It's a lot easy to find new homes for kittens if they're already vaccinated, blood tested and fixed.

I'm not sure how much vet care these kittens have had so far, hopefully you still have all the receipts and certificates for any thing that was done.

They can have their first vaccinations at 600 grams, second shots a few weeks after that, be spayed or neutered at 1 kilo.

Keep all the paperwork to pass on to the new family. You can charge them a re-homing fee to cover all your costs. $100 for a kitten that's been blood tested, vaccinated and fixed is quite reasonable. You'll get more serious adopters if you charge a re-homing fee rather than giving the kittens away.

You can write up a contract on your PC and keep a copy yourself as well as giving one to the new adopters. I can PM you the one I use if you'd like to see it.

I'm not sure where to advertise kittens as I'm not in the US, hopefully others will have some suggestions for you.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lil Dude Lil Dude It's a lot easy to find new homes for kittens if they're already vaccinated, blood tested and fixed.

I'm not sure how much vet care these kittens have had so far, hopefully you still have all the receipts and certificates for any thing that was done.

They can have their first vaccinations at 600 grams, second shots a few weeks after that, be spayed or neutered at 1 kilo.

Keep all the paperwork to pass on to the new family. You can charge them a re-homing fee to cover all your costs. $100 for a kitten that's been blood tested, vaccinated and fixed is quite reasonable. You'll get more serious adopters if you charge a re-homing fee rather than giving the kittens away.

You can write up a contract on your PC and keep a copy yourself as well as giving one to the new adopters. I can PM you the one I use if you'd like to see it.

I'm not sure where to advertise kittens as I'm not in the US, hopefully others will have some suggestions for you.
A few of mine are fixed. I'm not sure what vaccinated and blood tested means.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They need to have a blood test to make sure they don't have FIV or FeLV. One blood test checks for both virus. People are wary of adopting cats that haven't been checked, as these two can mean some quite expensive vet bills.

All cats need to be vaccinated a least twice against feline distemper, rhinotracheitis and calcivirus. Some states require a rabies vaccine too. There are also vaccines for FeLV. You need to ask your vet what is required in your state.

You shouldn't ever allow cats to go to new homes before they've been blood tested and vaccinated as it allows diseases to spread. I'd really recommend getting them fixed too, just so you know they won't be adding to the unwanted or feral kitten population.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
They need to have a blood test to make sure they don't have FIV or FeLV. One blood test checks for both virus. People are wary of adopting cats that haven't been checked, as these two can mean some quite expensive vet bills.

All cats need to be vaccinated a least twice against feline distemper, rhinotracheitis and calcivirus. Some states require a rabies vaccine too. There are also vaccines for FeLV. You need to ask your vet what is required in your state.

You shouldn't ever allow cats to go to new homes before they've been blood tested and vaccinated as it allows diseases to spread. I'd really recommend getting them fixed too, just so you know they won't be adding to the unwanted or feral kitten population.
I'm sure they were tested for just about everything when the vets weren't sure what was wrong, but I wouldn't guarentee they've been tested. A few of them, and all of the fixed cats, have their rabies vaccine. I don't have the money to do all of that, not for one cat, especially not for 20. That's why I'm adopting them out. I want the fosters to be adopted out and a few of my own as well. I can't live with my parents forever and I can't take them all with me when I move out so..they have to go somewhere. I would like the adoption contract you have. The foster group I got them from gave me one, but some of the agreements I don't exactly..agree with. Like "the cat HAS to be an indoor cat" when all of my cats have been indoor/outdoor. I live in the country and they like to wander. That might not be the case for other people, but they'll still want to be outside.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure what happens in the US. In Japan when you get a cat blood tested or vaccinated there is a certificate to prove you've had this done. Could you check your vet records? If no certificate maybe make a copy of the vet receipts to give to adopters.

Just to be clear: Have the shelter/foster group that you got some of the kittens from completely turned them over to you now? You're not getting any help from them anymore?

I would have said that getting all the necessary vet work done was the shelter's responsibility. It's too bad of them to dump all of this onto you.

:sigh:

I suggest you try and get the cats that have been fixed and vaccinated into new homes first. Then you can use the re-homing fee to get the next lot of cats ready for adoption.

Please make sure you keep the unfixed female cats completely separate from any unfixed males. It would be a nightmare if you have more kittens to worry about, on top of everything else.

I'm going to edit the adoption contract I have and send you a PDF later today. You can use the adoption contract the foster group gave you but edit out the parts you don't agree with.

Link here that might be useful.

My Kids Have Paws LLC, Compassionate Affordable Veterinary Service

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what happens in the US. In Japan when you get a cat blood tested or vaccinated there is a certificate to prove you've had this done. Could you check your vet records? If no certificate maybe make a copy of the vet receipts to give to adopters.

Just to be clear: Have the shelter/foster group that you got some of the kittens from completely turned them over to you now? You're not getting any help from them anymore?

I would have said that getting all the necessary vet work done was the shelter's responsibility. It's too bad of them to dump all of this onto you.

:sigh:

I suggest you try and get the cats that have been fixed and vaccinated into new homes first. Then you can use the re-homing fee to get the next lot of cats ready for adoption.

Please make sure you keep the unfixed female cats completely separate from any unfixed males. It would be a nightmare if you have more kittens to worry about, on top of everything else.

I'm going to edit the adoption contract I have and send you a PDF later today. You can use the adoption contract the foster group gave you but edit out the parts you don't agree with.

Link here that might be useful.

My Kids Have Paws LLC, Compassionate Affordable Veterinary Service
The foster group I got them from was absolutely terrible. They gave me a pail of litter and that was the only help I've gotten from them. I asked for help and complained when the kittens got sick and started dying. That led to an argument and I was told that the kittens aren't mine and they could be taken from me if the owner wanted to take them. That was the last I heard from them meaning, the owner didn't take them because the owner didn't want them. So I'm gonna guess that means they're mine. I have had help from the people on this site, tremendous amounts of help. A stranger helped me get some of my cats fixed, a lot of them actually. And with the GoFundMe and another kind stranger, I've gotten vet care for them. So now they aren't sick now with whatever they caught from the shelter. But they still don't have everything they need, I guess.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You've done an amazing job so far. It really is tough taking on so many cats, especially when a lot of them are sick kittens. It makes me angry that the foster group left you with all this responsibility and didn't help you at all, but don't worry. We'll work it out.

:grouphug2:

Could you tell me how many cats and how many kittens you have now?

How many of them have been fixed?

I'm just about to start work, but I'm going to send you a PM with the contract as soon as I can.