My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The whole family is lovely, but I'm a little partial to green-eyed torties! Wanna guess why?
I do wanna guess,could it be a green eyed beauty you hold near & dear?-- would love to see a photo or hear why!!!I'm guessing I guessed right,lol. Could she be the kitty StriderRose posted?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik the cat that mamanyt1953 is talking about is her very own cat named hekitty ... yes i did post her all over TCS as well several others that belong to jcatbird and some of my cats
Sooo cute,now I see her special fondness,reminds me of my little Bella - she's barely 7lbs...

Attachments

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer: I was responding to a question from Kwik Kwik on her 'Timmy 7yr old TNR true feral COLD TURKY' thread and wanted to explain that I'd never socialized a feral but is one of 2 beloved minions to a former stray. The tale (tail) of former neighborhood stray Gypsy (it was 3 or 4 months before we all agreed on her name,
we'd had a horse named Gypsy when I was young, her dada had a dog named Gypsy when he was growing up and she had roamed the neighborhood like a Gypsy) turned out to be so long that I thought I'd post it here instead of taking so much space off topic on hers. Some of you may know how our journey began but hope you will enjoy it again:
Gypsy was the neighborhood stray (for some reason there only have been 1 or 2 strays/ferals at a time in our large Historic over a hundred year old neighborhood in the 20+ years we've lived here, right now there is a Black Cat who comes around for a drink and Breakfast)
20230601_123417.jpg
We first saw Gypsy jumping out of the dumpster at our apartment and streaking away back in the Spring of 2016. We started saying hello and she (didn't know she was a girl at the time) would stop, look at us and dart away. We lived on the 2nd floor with a smallish porch right on one of the alleys of our quiet neighborhood where we fed (still do) the squirrels and birds crackers, bread etc... and one day we saw the kitty eating down there so we started feeding her all beef hot dogs and cooked chicken breasts. I finally went ahead and bought a cheap bag of dry food and with lots of patience, keeping her company and talking eventually got her to the top of the stairs to the porch. By then we were bonding with lots of brushing, wet food, dry food and water. Late Oct she acted like she wanted to come inside. I never dreamed her future dadda would allow her to do so but he said ok so we opened the door and after lots of snuffing and hesitation she came in and disappeared down the hall, as we stood at the open door we looked at each other (thinking 'oh sh*t what have we done!) but stayed where we were. After a bit ( no crashes thank goodness) here she came and sashayed out the open door. After that we let her come and go as she pleased, she was staying in a falling down brick garage with holes in the roof next door to the apartments (ironically we now live in the house the garage belonged to, it's been torn down the mess is still back there) until she came home limping in Jan or Feb 2017. Vet said all they could find was a healed puncture wound and gave her an antibiotic shot. Since the weather was getting cold she was ok staying inside all the time until Spring came. By then we loved her too much to let her out alone so I researched, bought a cat jacket and after lots of flopping at first she took to the leash just as quick as she had taken to the litter box and we've been in harness outside every since. I'd grown up around outside critters, her dadas family had dogs and an aunt had barn cats so we had no idea what to do with an inside furball let alone a kitty. Searching for info on the web I found TCS and we've been here ever since.
I've always treated her like I had our part-of-the-family equines when I was growing up. Not trying to force but getting them to do what I wanted them to because they wanted to do as I asked out of love. Gypsy doesn't knock stuff off is very deft, elegent, bullheaded (just like us :crackup:) super smart and respectful, doesn't demand (she doesn't need to, she's got us firmly wrapped around her not-so-little paw) and usually her wish is our command:worship: 👑
We were such greenhorns that we thought she had gotten her ear tip lost in a fight or got caught on something. :doh2::rolleyes3: First time we took her to the vet in Nov 2016 we were not yet sure of her, hadn't really handled her, and after depositing her in a cardboard carrier I went into the other room to get my jacket when her dad yelled 'she's coming out'! Sure enough those sharp teeth had chewed the air hole big enough to get her head out. I grabbed a small blanket, pushed her head back in, wrapped the blanket around it put it in a laundry basket put another small blanket on top and drove to the vet with it on my lap. She was (and still is) a sweetheart at the vet. They guessed her at 1 or 2 yrs old. While she still retains a killer instinct (as a couple of sparrows discovered the hard way over the years, she is so danged fast! I use a long leash and misjudged the distance) She has never scratched us on purpose or bitten except love bites
(which scared me so much at the time that I even started a thread about it ) hardest part of love bites is squashing the urge to jerk back. SAfter all this time she isnt really a lap cat, if you try to hold her on your lap she will escape as quick as she can and then turn right around and lays right next to you to be petted (our little weirdo) She is usually somewhere close, allows us to pick her up, massage her all over, rub tummy, trim nail tips and still loves being brushed. What got her to this point is her love of low boxes or box lids.
20230601_123341.jpg
She doesn't like tall boxes, will jump in them once and that's usually it but she feels secure in the low ones.
20230601_123352.jpg

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
It would appear that Grumpy, now fully back to his old self, has been spoiled. Now, when I set out his food in the morning, he will walk up to it, sniff, then sit looking in the door. Now, he needs treats for an appetizer, at which time he will scarf his food down like he hasn't eaten for a week.
Gypsy scared us to death when she quit eating back in early 2022. After a trip to her vet, the Emergency Animal Clinic, an adjustment by the kitty chiropractor who was the ER vet, many, many tempting offerings and appitizer stimulants she was back eating. She still likes to have the bowl held for her, sometimes while she lounges like an acient Roman lolling in her box. We use Greenies for treats inside and Sheba meat sticks outside but as a meal topper, and only after she has eaten some out of her bowl, we crumple a Temptations treat on top. That is the absolute Only time the Temptations are offered. She doesn't overeat so she free feeds on Purina One and (since I'm retired and I'm well trained) has several small feeds during the day of Sheba cuts in gravy.
Her food and water have always been given on tables above floor level. Her latest, since I started feeding Black Cat, is to show she still is a tough alley cat, not a soft 'house cat' by licking the lid and eating out of the container prior to eating it out of a hand held bowl.
We need a new thread:
'How to tell how spoiled your kitty is'
:crackup:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy scared us to death when she quit eating back in early 2022. After a trip to her vet, the Emergency Animal Clinic, an adjustment by the kitty chiropractor who was the ER vet, many, many tempting offerings and appitizer stimulants she was back eating. She still likes to have the bowl held for her, sometimes while she lounges like an acient Roman lolling in her box. We use Greenies for treats inside and Sheba meat sticks outside but as a meal topper, and only after she has eaten some out of her bowl, we crumple a Temptations treat on top. That is the absolute Only time the Temptations are offered. She doesn't overeat so she free feeds on Purina One and (since I'm retired and I'm well trained) has several small feeds during the day of Sheba cuts in gravy.
Her food and water have always been given on tables above floor level. Her latest, since I started feeding Black Cat, is to show she still is a tough alley cat, not a soft 'house cat' by licking the lid and eating out of the container prior to eating it out of a hand held bowl.
We need a new thread:
'How to tell how spoiled your kitty is'
:crackup:
When Grumpy disappeared for so long, we thought the worst. Then, when he reappeared, skinny and carrying no weight on his right front leg, we were giving him 3 cans of Fancy Feast a day, plus treats, and plus his regular dry food. This went on until it was apparent that he had gained back most of his weight, and was walking normally again. Like I said: spoiled.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
When Grumpy disappeared for so long, we thought the worst. Then, when he reappeared, skinny and carrying no weight on his right front leg, we were giving him 3 cans of Fancy Feast a day, plus treats, and plus his regular dry food. This went on until it was apparent that he had gained back most of his weight, and was walking normally again. Like I said: spoiled.
Getting caught up on gocomics, had to share this one.
Next Door Neighbors by Pat Sandy for May 28, 2023
Next Door Neighbors Comic Strip for May 28, 2023

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Jcatbird Jcatbird . This adorable furry brought you flowers. Besides cats, these are one of the cutest animals in the world. At least I think so.. They are endangered unfortunately.🥺 I wish you well and glad to hear things are getting better in your neck of the woods. All the best to you and all a Chez Catbird. :heartshape:
Hola~You dropped your flower#mei #redpanda #animal

:welcomesign::happycat: Kwik Kwik to the cat site andJcatbird's thread. Thanks for sharing pics and stories about your kitties. I am a cat caretaker of a colony and also another small group of cats who are not a part of that colony. It is challenging feeding all these kitties, but it is a labor of ❤. I hope you are enjoying yourself here and welcome once again.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Thanks for sharing Gypsy story and pics of the lovely Gypsy. What a cutie. 🥰 Thanks everyone for showing the kitties you love so much. Have a good night. 🙂

:lol:Yeah, they sure look vicious don't they?! :purr:

a-life-of-hardship-feral-cats.jpeg

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey everyone- didn't realize this is Jcatbird thread and I guess typically not a general place to post?:I'm very taken back by Jcatbird post,she sounds like an exceptional & very special lady,I hope y'all forgive my ignorance and thank you for the warm welcome....I'd love to meet you all,be Blessed ❤
Oh, it is "her" thread, but it is exactly the right place for you to be! You can help us keep things going until her Wi-Fi issues are fixed, and she can be here herself again!

I do wanna guess,could it be a green eyed beauty you hold near & dear?-- would love to see a photo or hear why!!!I'm guessing I guessed right,lol. Could she be the kitty StriderRose posted?
That would be just right! Her eyes are a pale, pale green...I call them "limeade eyes" Her name is Hekitty (HEH-kitty), aka "That malevolent little gargoyle."
IMG_0285.jpg
That, plus traces of cat litter everywhere.
Yep, and occasionally they feel like you stepped on teeny-weeny Legos!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1
Thank you ever so much for sharing the delightful story about Gypsy-so encouraging and uplifting
I'm so grateful for TCS & all the wonderful,kooky cat people that are exactly like me- I was losing hope there for a moment,even after decades of rescuing & socializing many a true feral- Timmy is my first "rogue",one that has stayed hidden in Condo landscape alone,no cats anywhere for so many years..... Just when I thought I knew just about everything suddenly I was rethinking my own position( any cat can be an indoor cat & at the very worst simply share space with a human with mutual respect ... And loved)
I thank you DD ,you are so good for morale- everyone here has won my heart over tremendously. ..I've more to report in the Timmy True Feral thread...

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Jcatbird Jcatbird . This adorable furry brought you flowers. Besides cats, these are one of the cutest animals in the world. At least I think so.. They are endangered unfortunately.🥺 I wish you well and glad to hear things are getting better in your neck of the woods. All the best to you and all a Chez Catbird. :heartshape:
Hola~You dropped your flower#mei #redpanda #animal

:welcomesign::happycat: Kwik Kwik to the cat site andJcatbird's thread. Thanks for sharing pics and stories about your kitties. I am a cat caretaker of a colony and also another small group of cats who are not a part of that colony. It is challenging feeding all these kitties, but it is a labor of ❤. I hope you are enjoying yourself here and welcome once again.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Thanks for sharing Gypsy story and pics of the lovely Gypsy. What a cutie. 🥰 Thanks everyone for showing the kitties you love so much. Have a good night. 🙂

:lol:Yeah, they sure look vicious don't they?! :purr:

View attachment 451211
Thank you for accepting me into the fold,it's my good pleasure to be a part of keeping Jcats thread going awaiting her return- I can't imagine this terrific thread fading away into the background,no way!❤

Status
Not open for further replies.