My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@rubysmama
Sadly, this area has grown rapidly the past few years. It was once a quiet farming community but the growth has brought in good things and some very bad things. It’s true that I have had more than my share of bad people. I suspect I know why. Having had a business right on the highway for 18 years, I am well known here so it is common knowledge that I am older and alone. That is one thing that appears to make me an easy target for common hoodlums and I think that is what I am dealing with now. ( I’m actually not an easy target but looks can be deceiving. I’m a tough old cat. Lol) Also, when I started the cat rescues that made me more of a target. In this case , It was worth it and I would do it all again! At the time I started this thread I had already been deeply involved in the rescues for months and I never backtracked to tell the whole story. The first weeks of the rescues I did not fully understand that I was interfering with anything. I did not realize that I was making myself a target and when I did understand, I wasn’t going to stop pulling in the cats. The story is not a good one. Perhaps I should tell more of the beginning but I have touched on it in some posts. In a nutshell, the woods next to me were used as a place for criminal activity. Many activities. I hesitate to mention all of it but the one thing relevant to this thread is using cats as living targets for demonstrating a variety of weapons. At least one person I saw here on my land was shot ( the shooting was less than a mile from here but had nothing to do with me) in a scuffle with police over an illegal gun sale and then arrested. He was then out on bond and I saw him around here for a while longer. I have not seen him in some time. Where is he now? I don’t know. Over the next few months many other arrests were made and I started working with the county shelter and found a friend in an officer with animal control. I believe he helped me as he could. He could not stop the break ins or vandalism but things in the woods were greatly improved. I am sure there are connections in all of this that I will never understand. The criminal mind is beyond me but from what I can tell, the worst criminals are gone now. The remaining problems come from other sources. Neighbors? Maybe. Transients possibly. I teally don’t know. I suspect. I was in the process of getting ready to move when I started pulling in cats. I remained to finish rescuing them. I have pulled in the last one. BJ. I need to get a few more adopted out through the only contacts I have for that. Then.... the remaining ferals and I will be free to leave. I am looking for a safe haven somewhere and I will welcome the day we leave all the bad memories behind. My only regret will be leaving the place I made a life for my daughter and the place she now rests but I will be grateful I can take the kitties and my memories of her with me when I go. No matter where I end up I will continue to work to help the kitties and the good people I have found here. Maybe I am a magnet for them too. :) I hope so!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they have a cat allergy. :D

Edit to add: But seriously - I am soooo very glad that you are all okay. OXOXOXOXOX Go BJ!
Yes! :flail:That totally cracked me up! I hope they went home with a serious case of hives! (It could also be the poison ivy I planted under all the windows! I’m not allergic to that! Lol )
Thank you for caring! We are all fine. A little sleepy but resting right now on a different time schedule for a little while.

Our smile tonight comes from Mister BJ!

I am waiting by my bedroom door for Mom to come out of her room and pet me.
7980D233-38AF-4F84-8E1E-69832602E96F.jpeg

Wait a minute! Just where do you think you are going Mom?
DA18D71F-C740-4070-8213-8B177A3A615C.jpeg

If you think you are going outside tonight..... I’m not letting you get past me!
5D89D3C3-DE1C-407E-A5CD-AF537925EE13.jpeg

Go back to your room Mother!
DCC4B9D9-C1B4-4922-AB09-31DABC894066.jpeg

Okay lady! I’m staying right here until you obey me!
67AC416E-56B8-4B28-9C4C-D62F667BA5BF.jpeg

That’s right Mom.... open the door and go back to your room.....
39108095-A650-408C-8946-CB3FE2A8F336.jpeg

Ha! I knew you’d try to sneak back out. I’m still watching!
10B60166-0E1F-44B7-ABCA-413F4CBFD8A0.jpeg

He would not let me out the back door! Lol Don’t tell him there is a front door.
Good night everyone! I’m done with guard duty tonight. :thud::sleep:

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is very scary that someone tried to break in. Was anything missing? Do you have anything to protect yourself with, (besides them tripping over kitties)? I was thinking about getting myself something to club people over the head with. I'm not really a gun person.
surya surya After a phone conversation recently with Jcatbird, she suggested I tell you about my 'ladies weapon' I've had for 20 years. It is a 1/2 length baseball bat (20-22 inches) with a large, flat, heavy metal collar around the end of it. It is what truck drivers use to check the air in their truck/trailer tires. You can get one at any large truck stop. It's called a "tire thumper" I think. I don't know if they still sell wooden ones, that look and are shaped just like a baseball bat. Short enough to carry in your shoulder tote bag. Easy to use it, even if grabbed by a perpetrator. It could easily without much effort, break a bone or split a skull. A very effective item for ladies to carry for protection who don't want to carry a gun. You might consider getting one of these, if you need that bit of extra protection when walking alone, etc. I hope you find this info. helpful.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
surya surya Awwwww If it’s Timothy , the Greek meaning is honoring God. I can think of tons of great names for a ginger cat but Timmy is a solid name. When adopting out kitties I do try to make it something that would appeal to lots of people. For myself, I kind of like to find out their personality and go from there. Lol i often call out lots of ideas to the kitty and watch for their reaction. If he likes it then I would go for it! My only ginger is Saffron. I love the v pattern of the stripes on his forehead. His color reminds me of a Fox! Hmmmm. Fox could be cute. As CL56 CL56 suggested, Rusty is good too! Pepper? It’s always tough to figure out the name at first but I am sure the right one will come to you. I kind of like Alfie.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats are all on a dash tonight! Running around and playing! Banjo is singing and chasing Lambie. Lol I think the cooler weather has them all feeling Frisky. Even though today was mop day, they are happy.

Banjo is stalking everyone who moves!
2D6EAE4D-93B4-4727-9A0F-47DF02B777C2.jpeg

BJ was a little irritated that supper was an hour late. He leaped down from his usual spot.....
9224EB77-1518-4433-B37A-28C01C1DD2B4.jpeg

And gave me a very dirty look! How dare you be late Mother!
B74DE0E0-7DB1-4AC3-BA15-3E43657F6B54.jpeg

You expect me to eat this late?
BBA938BB-5E1B-4249-8211-9851C9C5CFF9.jpeg

Hmmmm. It does smell nice so I’ll eat but I’m keeping my ears back!
C8D7788E-5786-4AF3-BD0F-B6D7ECAD06FC.jpeg

It was actually nose licking good but I hate to admit it so I am keeping a frowny face!
572AE117-2792-47CF-BD07-F758E03D673E.jpeg

I forgive you enough to snuggle your foot.... but not the rest of you......
B7E86B8F-E20A-4795-B8E9-A751B7AFA66C.jpeg

And I’m going to bite your shoe as punishment! :cloudy: :insertevillaugh:
1BD59FD4-091C-4188-943D-2F6A6AB34998.jpeg

Poor BJ was terribly starved by supper time. I have offended the mighty BJ. Perhaps I can earn total forgiveness by Breakfast time. ;) I’ll be sure to work on timing supper better in the future!
Goodnight everyone!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
surya surya After a phone conversation recently with Jcatbird, she suggested I tell you about my 'ladies weapon' I've had for 20 years. It is a 1/2 length baseball bat (20-22 inches) with a large, flat, heavy metal collar around the end of it. It is what truck drivers use to check the air in their truck/trailer tires. You can get one at any large truck stop. It's called a "tire thumper" I think. I don't know if they still sell wooden ones, that look and are shaped just like a baseball bat. Short enough to carry in your shoulder tote bag. Easy to use it, even if grabbed by a perpetrator. It could easily without much effort, break a bone or split a skull. A very effective item for ladies to carry for protection who don't want to carry a gun. You might consider getting one of these, if you need that bit of extra protection when walking alone, etc. I hope you find this info. helpful.
:clap::clap2::thanks::bouquet:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thud::loveeyes: :heartshape::lovecat2: What a little doll baby! Whats his story? He'll let you know his name when the time is right:winkcat::touched:
I heard loud meowing when I was walking home from the store and I crossed the street and followed the loud meows into the bushes. He is tame, but he is too young to be all by himself outside. He must have worms bad, his tummy is really bloated and he has diarrhea. Hopefully it's not something serious, he cried most of the night and kept me awake. He's got an small wound on his chin and he probably has ringworm and flea's. The rescue lady will take him to the vet today and I hope he will feel better soon. Once he is healthy and fixed she can take him to adoptions and get him a good home.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
surya surya He is a precious baby! I am so glad you found him!

M M Thomas It’s nice to see you back here! I am glad your kittens have all recovered and everyone got spayed and neutered. Congratulations on the adoptions of Mom and some of the kittens and extra congratulations on your decision to keep the other babies. I know how strong your bond with them has become. Snuggling them on cold nights must be wonderful! :)
:vancat::catrub:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
surya surya Ya know..... I already did! I will continue. Positive tidal wave of good vibes, hopes and good health coming the little Guys way.:vibes::redheartpump::heartshape: It’s probably just the worms anyway Surya. That really bloats them up. A couple of treatments and some good nutrition and I’m sure he’ll be okay. Love and snuggles too! :sunshine:

Status
Not open for further replies.