My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree! I do have a smart TV though, so that after football season I'm going to give up my cable TV (I get absolutely no TV reception over the air due to a mountain nearby) and just watch a couple streaming things.
The refrigerator I got a couple of years ago has no on-the-door water or ice dispenser, no in-the-fridge water dispenser (what's wrong with using the faucet??), no smart stuff- just plain. I did get an ice maker in the freezer though. But I really didn't need it...

Both in spite of and because of! Working in healthcare we had to laugh when things got so sad or ridiculously impossible. Then in life I've found paying attention to all the little things that are good is life changing. They are really the big things in disguise.

That's me and bell bottom jeans/pants from the '60's. Love them. Don't care if were out of style. I find them at the thrift store if need be.
That was me, back in the 60s. Bell bottom jeans were part of the everyday working uniform. I bought them at the base exchange- Seafarer was the specific brand- for a couple of dollars a pair, and to soften them up we would tow them behind the ship when it was making slow speed. It only took a few miles to do the job. The only place you will find them now is on vintage jeans sites, and the prices they want are astounding. By the way, there was a corresponding brand for civilians- Landlubber.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Not my will, but Thy Will."
I've never prayed like this, since I have my own ideas of the future I want...🤔

Trust that things may not go as quickly or on the path we imagine at the time but do trust.
I will try. I just wish it wouldn't take so long...⌚🕰

Hey, got a deal for you! You can do the wash and I PROMISE I will never agitate you!
It's a deal!!!👍We'll work on convincing you about the front loader later.

I love a fresh new paint job
Yeah, my life could use a fresh new paint job. 🙌

You lose your pillow.
I love that pic of my Angel Lady looking all warm & cozy. 😍

It’s worth exploring.
It certainly is... if one can find the courage...😉

In short, we are important.
Awww, I love this. Thank you. :hugs:

paying attention to all the little things that are good is life changing. They are really the big things in disguise.
I would love one big thing, my own home. Then the cats & I can enjoy all the little things in it. :cloud9:

That's me and bell bottom jeans/pants from the '60's. Love them. Don't care if were out of style.
They have a new modern version called Bootcut and I just love them! 👖

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man When I was growing up, my dad gave me his navy bells and sweater. The bells were a little small for me as I had some baby fat then. Now they are too big. The sweater fits, though. I opt for bootcut. Although I did have an amazing pair of elephant bells bought around the turn of the (21st!) century that I had problems getting rid of. They were faves.
Oh, yes, Maria Bayote Maria Bayote , we ARE important! and thank you for that wonderful reminder. *Prayers* for your health and wellbeing! It's a perilous world we navigate. My MO is mask, handwash, social distance and stay home when possible -- always. Because the crud is never going to be gone. It'll mutate nine ways to Sunday, but it'll never leave us. Anyway, it's not that exciting or wonderful living in the city.
pearl99 pearl99 It is wonderful, even though all of the maintenance, repairs, insurance, and bills are on you when you "own" -- and you never really do own, as anyone who misses their property taxes will tell you.
M maggiedemi We learn that He listens to every thought and Prayer and that all we need to do is just to talk to Him in our minds/hearts, as we would if having a conversation with someone right here. And Jcatbird is right! of course. Sometimes it's almost impossible to be patient and to trust. That's when we have to add another Prayer, for strength and for Faith. He knows every thing about us and what is right for us and when. He is the Parent, so to speak, of all of us, a very Loving Parent who only wishes to prosper us. Giving us free will is something I wonder about, but that, too, is above us and it is given us for reasons.
Jcatbird Jcatbird , those adorable FACES!
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" appeals to my sense of logic and rationality. And "If it breaks, it's easy and often free, or affordable, to fix it" also sounds good to me. I have to be very careful financially. And adding to the world's pollutants does NOT appeal to me at all. I had a perfectly good little (non-flip, but also non-smart) phone with a little indy company at rock-bottom price and happily read my emails at all hours on it, until poof! the big carriers put the squeeze on us. That's when I got my first iPhone, charging in the kitchen as I type. There IS something going on with it, as the battery drains in no time, though it says its battery health is good and at 94%. Yup, there was a reason I got my current one. But I'm recalibrating the old one after installing 15.2 and let's see what it does after this long drink.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 They do take the cake! Mine! :flail: You remember well! Angel food is always at risk from paws around here. Lol
I love bell bottoms. They made a comeback briefly some years ago and I grabbed up some. They even had embroidery on them as the jeans did long ago. Blast from the past.
I agree that the small things in life that are good become the big things. They really count! Sometimes we need the laughter to get through the kinds of things you described. I know some people get bogged down and forget to smile. Making a point to find something that can make us smile is important. It helps to heal and is one of those small things that becomes big.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 You cracked me up with the mental image of you riding in the Corvaire with a muffler passenger beside you. Those are collectible cars for sure. I have a friend who adores his to this day.

Maria Bayote Maria Bayote I was distressed to hear you are feeling bad. I understand the reluctance to get in that line to be checked. Lines for tests are literally miles long here and no one who feels bad would want to be in the middle of that. Lots of fluids and good nutrition as you can take it. Lots of rest. Take good care of yourself and get well. We do have a bond and also a cat bond. We all need you. Cats and hoomans! You are important. I will do my best to keep sending smile medicine!:grouphug2:The kitties are sending purr vibes. Lay back and be massaged by Clowder purrs.:purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr::purr:

rubysmama rubysmama The fangs are intimidating! Lol Maybe I should have named Dolly, Dracula?🧛‍♂️ :lol: Pretty good fangs for an old fellow! Poor Ruby. Dental work is never fun. :lovecat2:

N NY cat man That visual made me laugh too! A ship with tow lines of bell bottom jeans!:flail:Trolling for supper? Maybe trying to catch mermaids? I guess that did soften the denim! Great idea! Denim was pretty stiff back then. I wasn’t exactly a landlubber but I don’t think I would have been allowed to tow my jeans. The line could have fouled the prop. Lol I wonder if that’s how jeans with cuts in the denim came about?:lol:

M maggiedemi Sometimes I have waited too. Maybe I was being taught patience? IDK but we hold on and trust that even if the plan is different, something good is bound to come. Nothing stays the same. I often look back and am amazed at how things came along, just when I least expected it!

No convincing needed in the front loader. It really boils down to what is available. As soon as possible. The kitties keep bringing me more stuff that needs washing. I think Banjo just likes laying on the washer during the spin cycle. Lol

Big things can happen too. Just keep hanging in there and pull that courage out of the leg of those boot cut jeans!;)

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Property taxes really are tough. I know we have to support where we live but I just don’t like it being done that way. Until about two years ago there was a town next to me where they did NOT charge property tax. I thought that was wonderful! With the recent changes in government that ended. It was a sad day for a great many when that happened. It is not an affluent town and I know that this will bring great changes for many there. It’s interesting to me to see how one county has low tax rates but the next one over has very high rates. I see no reason why mine should be high here! They rose this year after being steady the last three years.:doh: My dearest friend has “family” land that was passed down from generations of struggles. The county would have taken it but many gathered together to stop that. It is just pasture but …. could be a nice subdivision if someone else had it. They have offers to buy constantly! So far they hold on. I hope they keep it for life and pass it to the next generation. It was hard earned.
I agree that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it but fix it if it needs it and you can! It’s frustrating to me to look at that washer. I think I could fix it ( maybe) if I had the physical strength to lift that tub! I might find the axel bent but can’t know without taking it all apart. The repairs by someone else would probably be higher than a good used or even a low end new one. I am looking into both ends of that. It has served me well and I would hate to see it go since it is a tough old machine. 31 years!
I am sure you know how many things can drain that phone battery. It can be a good battery but anything running in the background if the operating system can drain them. I found that out myself when my first one kept draining. I shut down most of the apps, researched the “company” systems and shut them down too and poof, the phone kept the charge! Lol The back of the phone stopped getting warm too! “Hackers?” Not by definition but….watching my usage to “ offer suggestions according to my history.” :rolleyes3: Thank you to them for the kind help. :lol: I put as little as possible on my phone now.

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Awww! I love that meme! As soon as I saw it I was reminded of Wanda Heart. Lol She took over my pillow as soon as she learned what a bed was. She adores my electric blanket. She is definitely a bed cat! That is precious picture and verse.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because I had so much going on here at the time, I did not get to post most of the photos of the kitties at Christmas. In spite of other things, I did make sure they all got to enjoy the day. Lots of yummy treats, a chicken dinner and toys. Stuffed toys and mice have become the toys of choice for the majority so Santa obliged. The kitties are so precious. I managed to capture some of the fun in photos. I thought we would resume with the girls room and our handsome Prints.

An elf dropped off the gifts.
F01A3803-FFC0-4B06-B2B1-C155F2874257.jpeg

Hmmm. Sleepy cats on a heated blanket. Purry joined you?
E1DC63CD-D445-4B23-95BD-CC2DA51DD5E3.jpeg

Where is Tortie?
She’s nearby.
We’d like to know, where is Santa? We’ve been waiting all night!
3C74C5C5-7396-4380-97AA-3A571255651B.jpeg

Oh! Tortie is hiding to try and catch an elf? Lol well Santa was here. You kitties must have dozed off!
BEC91CB7-1046-45EB-99CE-4B9614A64BA0.jpeg

I see toys for all the good kitties!
BF54600D-BE31-4160-99A6-DCD71A487ECA.jpeg

What did you get Prints?
12010CB6-5D6A-4ED9-B833-60EFFEC46974.jpeg

Ummm, It looks like a mouse to me!
D4D708E7-189F-40E5-BB45-F3788B43646F.jpeg

Yep. It’s a mouse! I love mouses!
D222351B-27B7-43CF-AA9E-B70352F2B142.jpeg

It tastes like catnip though!
4A038446-C09A-43E7-B3C8-852E550D6D23.jpeg

Yeah, definitely catnip flavored mouse.
CC694A7B-DAA8-41C5-9B0B-2534993D7A10.jpeg

Hey! I got two mousies!! I’m going to hold them close and never let them go!
E859125D-10ED-4824-9F60-0F17B19C582B.jpeg

Santa knows I am a very good kitty!
19D4C716-6779-47ED-A15D-43C7C9F47A98.jpeg

Indeed he does.:catrub:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I did make sure they all got to enjoy the day. Lots of yummy treats, a chicken dinner and toys. Stuffed toys and mice have become the toys of choice for the majority so Santa obliged. The kitties are so precious. I managed to capture some of the fun in photos. I thought we would resume with the girls room and our handsome Prints.
The kitties are so well behaved and they definitely deserve lots of Christmas gifts and love ! :gift: :gift: :gift: :gift: :gift: :gift: :gift: :gift: :gift: :gift: :heartshape::heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
A blast from the past: 1969-style
Under way in the Mediterranean, making about 15 knots or so. The second guy from the right is wearing Seafarer jeans- you can tell because they have more flare than the standard-issue jeans do.View attachment 406662
I've always wondered why the pants were bell bottoms. Did you get much snow the other day?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wondered why the pants were bell bottoms. Did you get much snow the other day?
A couple of inches here, but nothing serious. In the hills east and south of Buffalo is another matter again
As to why bell bottoms? First, it makes it easier to roll them up when swabbing the decks; second, should a man fall overboard, or survive a sinking, you can remove them without taking your shoes off, tie a knot in each cuff, and use them as an improvised life preserver.
Edit: I regret to say that I don't have any shots from when we were really hauling, making over 30 knots. The stack of white water at our stern was twice what you see in the posted shot.

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of inches here, but nothing serious. In the hills east and south of Buffalo is another matter again
As to why bell bottoms? First, it makes it easier to roll them up when swabbing the decks; second, should a man fall overboard, or survive a sinking, you can remove them without taking your shoes off, tie a knot in each cuff, and use them as an improvised life preserver.
Edit: I regret to say that I don't have any shots from when we were really hauling, making over 30 knots. The stack of white water at our stern was twice what you see in the posted shot.
We just got a dusting too. Thanks for the bell bottom info. Very interesting & so sensible!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man I knew there had to be a reason beyond just attractiveness. Thanks for sharing that!
They are so much more flattering than the skinny jeans that look like pipecleaners with big shoes attached. I had a pair that I spent long, long hours decorating. My folks finally threw them out after they'd spent a long time in the garage. I miss those jeans. They were brown, one of my favorite colors.
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Very handsome shoes and I like the included wisdom on the boxtop!
Jcatbird Jcatbird Wishing there was someone who could help with that tub. *PRAYERS* that if there is someone, they will show up and help.
Yeah, you and I both know about time being most precious, and if I had more I'd read up on and deal with all of that phone stuff, but I don't. It's continually getting more time consuming to do that. I've tweaked the phone I use, and I very rarely add any apps. But ya gotta have what ya gotta have.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas with cats, how heartwarming! Brought some smiles. Then more smiles!

N NY cat man , nice bells. And the thighs on the guys are nice too!

Snow. It's a total blessing here right now, along the Front Range we've been in an extreme drought, and last week there was a fire in 2 urban towns, an "urban firestorm" that destroyed almost 1,000 homes, and then businesses. It's been a terrible week. The next day about 8-12 inches of snow fell to help put it out. Devastating. About 20 miles from me, but brought home fires are now going to be in cities, not just forests. The outpouring of help is beyond incredible and a reminder of humanity. We get more snow today. We spent a lot of time crying and aching.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 , yeah property taxes are tough. I like that they support the schools here, but it's a chunk out of the pocket. Here when you turn 65 you can apply for lowered property taxes at a senior citizen rate. I got mine lowered a chunk, it can be up to 50% lowered but I didn't get that. But every bit helps!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Property taxes are pretty bad here, too. The only good thing is that I get a 15% reduction for service during wartime, and another for being over 65. The result is that an almost $3000 bill on our 1700 sq.ft. house becomes around $800 school and another $700 county tax.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you work it out, though, paying property taxes on something you get to keep as long as you pay is a pretty good deal compared to rents, especially if you maintain the house well. I couldn't afford to live anywhere in L.A. Metro if I had to rent. And if I could, I'd be under someone's thumb. Having autonomy is powerful and valuable. You really can't put a price on it. My feral and rescued cats are welcome here and I protect them. No landlord vagaries. No fellow tenant problems.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
When you work it out, though, paying property taxes on something you get to keep as long as you pay is a pretty good deal compared to rents, especially if you maintain the house well. I couldn't afford to live anywhere in L.A. Metro if I had to rent. And if I could, I'd be under someone's thumb. Having autonomy is powerful and valuable. You really can't put a price on it. My feral and rescued cats are welcome here and I protect them. No landlord vagaries. No fellow tenant problems.
Very true! My niece in OC has had teeny places. (She'll be moving to Kansas City in the spring.)

Status
Not open for further replies.