My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Ouch!! Are you sure it's not a bobcat? :) Years ago, my family's male cat brought a bob cat up for breakfast on the deck, once. :(
See his picture to the left of the post & below. Doesn't look like a bobcat to me, but he was abandoned in a churchyard, so I have no idea of his parentage.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ouch!! Are you sure it's not a bobcat? :) Years ago, my family's male cat brought a bob cat up for breakfast on the deck, once. :(
Many years ago...many decades ago...I had a beautiful Russian Blue named Gray. Gray had a pituitary imbalance, and topped out at 23" tall at the shoulder, and between 27-32 pounds of muscle-bound, fighting tomcat (NO ONE routinely neutered in those days). He would take off for weeks, come home torn to shreds, go to the vet, lie around for a week and do it all again. A hunter came by one night and told Dad, "Hey, I know what's happening to that big old tom of yours. Take a look in my truck." There in the back of the truck was the body of a gorgeous smoke-blue bobcat. In the hunter's defense, it was shot in his chicken coop, but still... Seems that Gray was fighting male bobcats for breeding rights... AND WINNING! I'm told that there are still a few blue bobcats in that portion of northwest Florida, but they are slowly dying out.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program of Gingerbred kitties and the Flower garden!

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See his picture to the left of the post & below. Doesn't look like a bobcat to me, but he was abandoned in a churchyard, so I have no idea of his parentage.
I was teasing about being a bobcat :) If he was he'd have ear tufts of hair at tips of each ear. Cat our family tomcat brought to breakfast did indeed have ear tufts. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to have seen a giant Blue cat or Bob cat. I say we all grab our cameras and go on a photo hunt for any remaining kinfolk! Never seen a Blue bobcat before! I did get to see a Florida Panther up close and personal once. That was great but I didn’t dare move to take a picture. Sometimes the memories and descriptions just have to do. I loved hearing all this! Awesome!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My update for today is about many kitties. The boys, Man and Eisenhower did pass inspection today. Eisenhower was far more upset to leave than Man. That always gets to my heart but I want them to have a home where they get lots of individual attention. These two love to play and be held. I just can’t hold all 28 kitties at once while I try to catch more. I tried but there just isn’t enough of me for everyone to hold onto. As a group they are a little heavy to carry and it’s hard to see between all the whiskers and fur.
The boys got checked out and transferred from one carrier to another and finally to a large kitty kennel without getting upset. They did very well. It’s a good start. I will be getting updates as things progress. I only cried one bucket full so I guess I did okay too.
Bye bye my big baby boys. I hope you will play every night as you have done here.
F3634F33-FD16-4754-B8E8-2FED97823EDB.jpeg

The Flowers babies got me in trouble tonight. They got between me and the door to my house. Mom would not let me come back inside since I had to pass her babies. I did sneak in one little pet with Violet though. Shhhhhh. Mom would eat me if she knew. She stood guard over them as soon as she spotted me. I had to laugh. That little mom made me back away from my own back door. The way she threatened, I wasn’t going to question her either. Once the kittens finished drinking water and playing, Mom allowed me passage. By then it was dark out. Lol Good mom cat!
Hmmmm. These kitties like flower pots!
E564B874-3CC5-48B8-811C-D4F255266486.jpeg

FD884B54-EBE1-4949-B650-7987A44207C4.jpeg

This is my flower pot! Back off!
5D4F7D4A-72E6-4636-A4EE-3BF9099F3C96.jpeg

Of course I spent time with my Gingerbread babies today as well. As usual, the guardian of the door stood watch. I final sat on the ground about fifteen feet from their house and just stayed there for about an hour. The guardian did emerge but each time I moved she appeared ready to dash back inside so I just sat still and guarded them for awhile. They are eating inside the carrier now but still go first to the cage they were eating from before. For now I will just observe before changing anything. I can only trust my instincts. The white one I have been calling Avatar does come running towards me when I first approach. Progress or just hunger? Time will tell. The other two are not as trusting.

“I told you, nobody home!”
798CF8CB-F66C-4EAD-9844-C80DAA430CFD.jpeg

I don’t mind if the human comes! Bring the chicken lady!
2EDDA53C-F472-4FB7-B220-76E276CCEB8D.jpeg

I’m not falling for it!
2F888D0B-DE92-45CA-9EEF-A4C11C2843EA.jpeg

Well.... guess I will eat the chicken.
6F83BB82-DDA5-46E1-B0A1-5E219F104980.jpeg

You guys know the drill! This is what I think the kitties were trying to express! Love these kitty faces!

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Avatar is a brilliant name! Great thinking. Which one is the one I named Violet?
That's sad about your two big boys, but also maybe happy at the same time if they find a family.
That's funny about Flower blocking your door. Have you ever tried petting her with something on a long handle? I tamed Demi with a long-handled duster. Maggie was in heat, so she knew who we were when she came out of it. She still cut me a few times though. :devilish:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH, what precious babies! I'm glad you got to sneak in a pat! That's always the first real step forward, isn't it? I'm hoping that Eisenhower and Man can go to one home. That would be ideal!

Oh how devastating. :frown: It's a reminder, however, for me to get back into scanning my old pics, as well as my parents and grandparents, some of which probably go back nearly 100 years.
I highly recommend scanning them, and if you don't have a cloud service (I do now), burning them to a disk, and keeping it where you can grab it if you have to leave during some emergency.

Jcatbird Jcatbird and M maggiedemi - I'm surprised that anyone even remembers that movie!
Remember it??? The world of Avatar is now the newest and one of the most popular attractions at Walt Disney World in Orlando! I'd go there JUST for that!
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...wjSxMDs0KndAhWKtlMKHYxGA3EQ0Qx6BAgAEAI&adurl=

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Sorry to post so late. Been doing a lot today. I spent a lot of time working with the inside kitties today. I am trying to continue the socializing of the other rescues here. The numbers inside are shrinking! Only 27 cats inside! Feeling a little sparse! Well...... maybe not exactly. I am just so used to having so many more! If I can catch the others I will be changing that tune pretty quickly. Lol I know the kitties that are here need a lot more undivided attention in order to be properly prepared for a new home. The ones inside now are the ones that were the most feral or hardest to catch. Jazzy for instance. Boy what a difference being loved has made. She wants to be a lap cat now! From feral to lap. Cats are amazing. She is sweet and gentle. She loves to play with toys and she purrs every time I hold her. I am so happy I finally convinced her to come to me. She took her time and so did Thrasher. Thrasher is now asleep at feet. Slowly progressing. On to the Flowers and Gingerbreads I hope!
Jazzy is quite at home now. She spends much of her day in the room that was my daughter’s. I think she likes the view and the top of the tall dresser there. She greets me the instant I walk in the room.
79226B0C-F741-4DA9-89C5-68237001F419.jpeg

Avatar also greets me. Hiiiii! Where’s the chicken?
6D6316A0-0F7B-4EDE-B6DC-20A7113F1703.jpeg

I am slowly being allowed to get closer.
7502B4EC-77EB-4339-B2D1-0D3925716BA9.jpeg

Begrudgingly tolerated for the treats I bring! Lol
18C95C2F-9543-4DD3-8BEA-CE44B987F433.jpeg

Bright is even gettin more tolerant. My little Ginger still waits for me to move away though. Tonight I had to guard them from the hawk. That bird is huge! Don’t worry though. The babies are eating here under the cover of a large tarp as well as the cover of the carrier and cage beside them.
9E26FF2D-BD0D-42C1-9B8D-93AFDBCD7F1B.jpeg

Flowers babies were playing hide and seek behind the lattice work tonight. So far I have only seen one of them eat solid food. I know they are old enough but Flowers keeps them fed and I think she discourages them from coming too far out yet.
377B9AE9-1C86-44C5-994C-BC1053489B6C.jpeg

Maybe she will let me see all four at one time soon!
D8AF949A-0A90-48EA-B00D-8F51C0209687.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can see an illustrious second career for you, giving workshops on "Deferalization" all over the country! I am continually amazed at how well you do with these guys. You do realize that these cats are generally considered "hopeless" insofar as ever accepting human interaction, right? This is a testament to what time, patience and love can accomplish!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do realize that these cats are generally considered "hopeless" insofar as ever accepting human interaction, right? This is a testament to what time, patience and love can accomplish!
There's a feral cat association near me, basically they neuter/spay/vaccinate and then put the ferals back outside. It says right on their website that feral cats can never be tamed, they don't want to live with humans. And they are supposed to be experts! :rolleyes3:

Status
Not open for further replies.