My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have kitten withdrawal too. But more time to cuddle the big kitties who were neglected. Good job on saving all the babies and getting them homes. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan
surya surya
It is different to be without kittens right now! It has been a long time! The house is eerily quiet. My big kitties are making sure I have plenty of fur to stroke though. They are keeping me busy and loved. I am very grateful for them. I think they kind of miss the kittens too. They keep checking out the carriers and play pens. I am waiting now to hear how Banjo and Whistle are doing. At last report, Whistle was hiding under the refrigerator at his new home. Of course that makes me worry for him but I know he and Banjo are in a great home. They will be cherished. I just have to give them time to adjust and I need to focus on the older rescues that need my attention.
As I was writing about the kittens my “kitten rescue”friend texted me. She is the foster parent I keep referring to. She took Jazzy after I caught her and Jazzy had her babies there. My friend just took the babies for adoption. Two are already adopted. My friend does a lot of kitten rescues but she is not invincible either. After leaving the kittens she returned home in tears. She is in kitten withdrawal. Anyone who has done rescues knows this feeling. I texted her back the same thing she tells me..... you accomplished their rescue. That is what is so hard to remember. We rescued them but now we have to move on to try and save others. Others are suffering. More spays, more neuters and more kitties immunized and put into responsible homes. We don’t pour out our hearts, buy tons of food, make endless trips to the vet or clean two dozen litter boxes a day just because we want a cute kitty. We are trying to stop suffering, starvation, pain, illness, cruelty and even kitty murders. I get tired sometimes and I miss the kitties that leave me so much that I want nothing more than to have them back. BUT...... I saw kittens outside today! Kelly and her babies are waiting for their turn. I hope I can bring them in. I know I will fall in love with them too and the cycle of loving, just to have to let go will be repeated but If I can get Kelly, her babies, Flowers and the male that keeps the females pregnant, then the colony will be disbanded. No cat left behind. I am soooo close. I started posting on thecatsite late last year. I was desperate to cut down the number of feral and abandoned cats here and get them into safe homes. Over 100 cats and kittens. If I compare how I felt then to how I feel now, then I will not feel sad about a quiet house. The kitties that have left me are safe. I just need to socialize, Spay, Neuter, immunize, catch and adopt a little longer. I am glad I found thecatsite and the people who have messaged me here. The support has been extremely important to me. It gives me comfort and helps me to take stock. We set out to do this for the kitties and not for ourselves. It is the right thing to do even if it hurts. However, I know I will look at all the photos I took of the moments the kitties gave me love and laughter and I will feel that warm, loved feeling and laugh again. Anything I did for these kitties was returned to me tenfold even though I never intended to gain a thing from them. That’s what kitties do!
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Here is another catmelt for you. A baby face or two. New names needed soon I hope! The cycle continues!
BDA06891-D007-4706-B3BC-C0CE7F3C392C.jpeg

D437EF9C-47FE-4BC6-87AA-F92CFEF6192E.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For anyone wondering about my message to loopool, they have a friend with a sick kitty. Please help them if you can. They are a new member.

If you want the latest on the feral front, we have some very good news today! Of the four adult kitties that went up for adoption last Friday, two have found families. Yay! Duster got adopted on Monday and today Black Bear found love. Duster is a Blue Smokey ball of fluff so I knew she would find a home. She is beautiful and will attach very strongly to her new family. Black Bear is a grey tabby so I was a little more worried about him standing out among all the kittens there. I shouldn’t have been! Apparently his love for a good belly rub got him a lot of attention! Good ole Bear! He is a super sweet, loving kitty and someone recognized that. ( not to mention handsome) He will be a very loyal and adoring friend to his new parents. I am so happy for them. They both were in need of a home of their own. They were ready for this. As much as it hurts to let them go, it also makes me happy to know that someone else recognizes what wonderful individuals they are. They deserve so much more than I could give them so their adoption is a joyful time! I am celebrating their new life. I picture them laying in someone’s lap and purring as they get ALL the attention.

The news on Banjo and Whistle is a little different. The young man who took them had lost two rescues previously. It was a sudden loss and very difficult for him to overcome. His father had encouraged him to adopt again. It was too much for him to cope with this soon. He thought he was ready for new babies but the memories of his kitties overwhelmed him. Having new kitties who took refuge under his recliner left him anxious for their safety and very upset. He did the responsible thing. He turned the kitties back over to his father for transport and contacted me to let me know that he needed to return the kitties to their “Mom.” I am sad for the young man. I understand how grief can affect us. My position on this was to praise him for doing what is in the best interest of the kitties and to reassure him that when the time is right for him to adopt again he will find the kitty that is meant for him. I am sorry that it didn’t work out for him, for the kitties and for the father that wanted to mend his son’s heart. I spoke with his father and we are working out how to get the kitties back from Florida. In the meantime they are recovering from spay and neuter surgery at the father’s home. I know he will give them good care. He is sad for his son that the kitty match did not work out. He mentioned that he finds the kitties very sweet so I don’t think he will mind kitty sitting. He is considering keeping them himself but he is going through a major change in his life so we will be discussing it further. I do know that if he decides to commit to keeping them they will be well loved. I think they might even bring him some, much needed, laughter. We will know soon. If they return here I will be very happy to see them again. I don’t know if I would put them up for adoption again. In the past I have taken kitties that were passed from one home to another to another. It wasn’t good for the kitties. I would have to be convinced that the adopting parent could handle any problems of insecurity or fear the kitties might develop from shifting homes again. Banjo and Whistle have already survived trauma. Whistle has also survived a serious illness. How much can a kitty take? I don’t know but if they don’t stay with the Dad I will be working hard to re establish their confidence and security levels. I’m sure they will be okay here with the other kitties they know and with the human Mom who raised them. Out of all the adoptees I have sent out, this is the first return I have ever had. If this is my only return out of so many then I consider the kitties to have been very fortunate. I consider these lucky too. The young man acted responsibly. He could have voided our deal and given them away, taken them to a shelter or even dumped them. Instead he did the right thing. Good for you Michael! You’re a good guy. May you find peace with the past and a kitty to make you laugh in the future!
The last bit of news I have is a smile!
Mitsy is now out in the house and learning how to cope with people and cats! Thrasher , very feral kitty, is doing the same thing! Thrasher is a surprise a minute. From feral to friendly in five days! That must be some kind of record! She spent the day wandering the house and meeting all the other kitties. Some of the others hissed or swatted but Thrasher greeted every single one with a head rub and head butt. What an amazing kitty!
We have new photos of Kelly and the babies. This is my smile for today! Cutie kitties all the way! I am getting closer to them now.
AC92906E-F104-452B-AB32-4CF961B18E51.jpeg
EAF95E3E-02B0-4989-9F78-A502FCF32894.jpeg
47F5DF7E-C515-4A36-B508-DCF37F4288AB.jpeg
29A12687-E974-463C-B690-CBC7727F3551.jpeg
066FF274-4738-41E9-AF23-1FBC82922992.jpeg
74105BEF-4D90-43A1-BB63-FBFBCECC12D0.jpeg

Who could resist these little ones?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So adorable! :catlove: And much closer pictures now. You'll have them soon, I suspect. :crossfingers:

Sorry Banjo and Whistle's situation. At least, as you mentioned, they contacted you instead of taking them to a shelter. How far a drive is it to bring them back to you?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama The kittens are cuties aren’t they. I love their markings. I hope to get them soon.
As for Banjo and Whistle, as long as they are okay, I’m good with it. It is a couple of hours drive. It looks like the Dad will be trying to bring them back this coming week. He is going back to school on Tuesday so I don’t know how he will work it out. He picked them up so he feels he should get them back. If he keeps them very long then I think he will fall in love with them. I can tell he likes them. He has already had them fixed and invested a lot so I know he cares about their well being. We will see how things work out. Whatever is best for the kitties. :petcat:I’ll post their progress as I know it.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry about the upset with Banjo and Whistle, but it sounds as if they are in loving hands, and will either become brothers to their original new Dad, OR they will be brought back to you safely! We should all pray for many more caring, reliable folks like this in our world!

As for those kittens...OH MY! I'm especially taken with the little girl who has kinda a torbie/calico/van thing going on...almost all white, that one.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grins at the end!

I am loving those kittens too! You don’t see nearly as many with so much white fur. surya surya Thank you for the luck. I think I will need it to catch them. Mom is very wise. The sooner I catch them the sooner they will be safe in someone’s arms. I hope!
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 You are right about the need for more caring folks for kitties. We need all we can get! I won’t tell Hekitty you admired the little girl. Lol She is a beauty. That whole litter is a pretty bunch. But then, I always think that.
The news on the ferals today is good. Of all the kittens that have been caught/ fostered, only Moonstone remains waiting for a home. Actually Shelby remains too but she is recovering from a slipped suture and is not up for adoption yet. Wow! Not only gone but almost every one in a new home. I am always surprised and very grateful for the adoptions.
It has gotten easier to find homes than it was with the last colony I worked with. Although we still need to improve the spay and neuter availability I would like to note that it is better than it was ten years ago. There were NO grants to help them. No funding through the county or state. Progress in this area seems painfully slow but it is happening. About a third of the cats that passed through my home in the past year benefitted from these programs. The most difficult thing for me was finding the programs. The grant money is quickly used up once it becomes available. I find that most people who have contacted me want to spay or neuter their pets. They are just in sticker shock when they find out how much it costs. There are agencies that provide assistance but , again, finding these groups can be difficult. Some areas still don’t offer help. With ferals it can be a hands off policy or euthanasia. ( those in authority don’t recognize that the ferals that exist can be very helpful with rodent control) I hope that the wind of change is blowing through these areas. The way to stop the feral population isn’t by ignoring the problem or trying to kill it off. It is by responsible pet ownership and responsible government agencies. Stopping uncontrolled population growth and enforcing laws against negligent owners who dump animals, let them go wild or abuse them would be the way to go in my opinion. I have already dealt with two huge cat colonies while living in the same spot. Twice in ten years I have seen the suffering and abuse. Now that things are improving, I hope I won’t have to pull in a third colony. Since I have had a much higher survival rate among the rescues this time I am looking back at the differences between the two colonies. The change is wonderful. It would have been even better if there had been someone to guide me in my efforts. I stumbled a lot. When I finally got that first door opened, everything changed for the kitties. I am so grateful for the person who opened that first door and gave me that first clue as to where I might find help. Maybe in the future there will be a clearinghouse for pet assistance. One place to go to find help. For now everyone should know to check local ordinances for pet laws, call county animal control centers for information, and simply type into an internet search for spay/neuter help or adoption help. If one group cannot supply your needs then ask them who to call. It’s like following the links of a chain, one to another. Eventually you do reach help. If your local authorities don’t understand the problem, enlighten them. Every person who joins this battle can make a difference for the animals and for the next person who needs help. Thank you to everyone who gets up to help. I appreciate all those who paved the way for me to do what I am doing now. It has made my world a better place.
Okay, off my soapbox! :soapbox:
How about a review of some awwwwww moments! Time for some smiles!!!!
This is what I think the kitties were doing and thinking!

If I stare long enough she might pet me.

73C2B4D6-A047-46CC-A1A7-60324283DE74.jpeg

OMG! It worked!
4E491B4C-DA94-41D0-9ABE-4E40390693BC.jpeg

I’m too cute for my own good!
6E0D38EC-5A92-4A5B-AC70-6E964B5B8CC7.jpeg

That bug gave me indigestion!
951BCC89-EFB8-4E94-8480-1C4F12000192.jpeg

What can I do next.......?
046C2390-D583-4BB8-9028-51CB2FFC514C.jpeg

What do you mean, say cheese?
C56AEC06-1190-4AE0-BA59-15ED5072279D.jpeg

Okaaaay. If you really want to you can pet me.
09DCBCA9-4AC1-48E5-A7F9-FAA36B3C3DA1.jpeg

I don’t think I know you!
E678D252-12B5-44F8-B329-66CC32DF3288.jpeg

Who does she think she is?!?!?!
63AD7A7E-24F7-4E29-82E9-0A404BBCA9D4.jpeg

I don’t know who I is yet.
3E58F1C7-B497-4E7B-B52A-8160440BDB30.jpeg

I could have sworn there was a squirrel on this tree!
A53DAB68-BA12-4B3B-85A1-96E35E2092B0.jpeg

Ha! I know she didn’t just say bath!
EC42163D-DA27-4EE9-893D-6F637B906B71.jpeg

What arrrre you doing?
8FB0D054-BA35-45B3-A3CF-C1E4793CB9FD.jpeg

It’s all you can eat night!
267A9693-1C83-4C24-AE67-FFA30CECF4A0.jpeg

I’ll just get my own supper!
55F0CFFC-47A7-41E2-B914-224D953CBA9D.jpeg

If you would have opened that can I wouldn’t have to do this.
7705CF59-02AA-44BB-80FD-458BA3D1FEAE.jpeg

What do you mean, look surprised?
5B4A4E58-1369-4996-B131-1082C34DA7E4.jpeg

Ahhhhh! My own private port a potty!
2034E08E-1B99-4318-9006-9887C7CEA708.jpeg

I hope you laughed a little!

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Banjo and Whistle are coming back to you, rather than being sent to another place. I think that guy did the right thing; if he wasn't ready for more cats then he wasn't ready. Very wise of him to admit he wasn't in the right place yet.

Those little outdoor calicos are so pretty. I hope they're safely indoors soon.

Love all those cute kitten pictures. It's wonderful to think so many of them are in good homes now.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I, for one, laughed a LOT! I shall now crawl off to bed giggling...
Laughing before bed...... the best way to go to sleep! Smiling! Happy dreams!

I'm glad to hear Banjo and Whistle are coming back to you, rather than being sent to another place. I think that guy did the right thing; if he wasn't ready for more cats then he wasn't ready. Very wise of him to admit he wasn't in the right place yet.

Those little outdoor calicos are so pretty. I hope they're safely indoors soon.

Love all those cute kitten pictures. It's wonderful to think so many of them are in good homes now.
I am pleased with the young man’s decision too! It was hard for him and I admire his strength. I have never had kittens returned. I hate it for them but I am really looking forward to seeing them again. Usually once they leave it is rare to get a photo texted or to see them again. I don’t know what the kitties will need next but I will be sure they get it.
The kitties in the pictures are all in homes now with the exception of three. Two are still in the socialization process and one is up for adoption now. Two of them were adopted this past week. I enjoy the kitties so much that I have taken thousands of photos this past 9 months. I keep records on each kitty. I guess that is sort of a happy memory book for me.
I am pursuing the little calicos with every trick I know. Mom too. I am itching to hold the babies. With any luck I will get them soon. Someone is going to adore those babies! (Besides me!)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The feral front outside is shifting. I finally spotted Flowers again. She was chasing the only male left in the area. I managed to get her back long enough to eat but I noticed she looked thin. Could she possibly have had a couple more kittens? Possible. That was quick work on her part if she did but that is what cats do. Tonight she did not return. I was unable to find her or any kittens. Time will tell. When I last saw her she did not appear pregnant but with a small litter it may not have shown. If she got pregnant when her last babies were small it is possible. Rats! I had hoped to catch her before more kittens. Now I will have to hunt.
Kelly is on the move too. This makes me suspect the male or that Flowers has babies nearby if the problem is not from other creatures. At least Kelly will come when I call. Tonight I fed her in an open trap. I won’t be able to catch her kittens at the same time but if she still refuses to go in a carrier this may have to be the route I take. Time is not on my side if a male is near. I know something is scaring her and the babies.
The inside rescues are progressing very well. Thrasher is almost acting like a domesticated cat. Still timid but readily available for petting and starting to wander the house. Amazing for an abused feral! Misty is calming down finally! She is beginning to wander some too. She is a very nervous kitty. She still ducks when I first reach to pet her but she’s improving. I think her chances of being adoptable are getting better. The boys, Man and Eisenhower are making huge progress. I can now hold and carry them both. Their personalities have really begun to shine. They keep me laughing.
Cally and Ally are still a problem. Ally is Callys’ shadow. Ally is totally dependent on Cally for support. Cally could go for adoption right now but without her I don’t know if Ally would socialize. I will just have to keep working with her. She is an adorable cat. She has a tiny meow and does her front paws more like a pony than a cat. Her eyes at big and round and she always has a look of complete surprise on her face. I smile every time I look at her. I thought I would post some updated pictures of them to demonstrate their changes. I think they will make you smile

Thrasher comes out!
C72EE133-9A41-45B3-BCA2-395E69ECF7C5.jpeg

Mitsy becomes brave!
F06F5221-60B3-4E33-B7DD-3C46EF05B85A.jpeg

Thrasher acts like being inside is a natural experience for her. ( This from the un catchable feral!)
E78AE4FD-34BB-45AD-8A43-39CF257BF672.jpeg

Paws have been ripping under the door. Wonder who?!?!
AA8454D7-1D5A-4D9F-8912-BB73C0135B88.jpeg

Ahhhh! You want to find Me huh?
A38F7D99-B994-4A87-AB86-6EFB7ADBE371.jpeg

Now I see youuuuu! Culprit caught! Oops! Man is becoming a housecat
7B8F8C38-FEA7-4946-9B98-6EC263DFA5FE.jpeg

Who me? It wasn’t me! Must have been my brother. I was here the whole time.
9D9A583A-C72E-4A89-B6CA-9649F6532A4E.jpeg

Cally confused. I thought you said i’d see myself in the mirror!
E623767A-806E-4A99-948B-505B04138AF9.jpeg

Ally with that perpetual look of surprise. She cracks me up with a single look.
C08F91CB-1D30-45B1-A66B-3ED71F0606DB.jpeg

How can I keep from laughing with such smart and funny cats? I hope you smiled at them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.