My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SNIFFLE! That was just the sweetest thing! So MANY "awwwwww" moments. HUGS!
I am glad you liked it! They were all awww moments at the time they occurred. Those and so many more.
Silver, Black Bear, Duster and Mittwo left me today. I will post pics of them all later. For now I am preparing Banjo and Whistle for their journey to Florida tomorrow. I am starting to wonder how I will feel when they are all gone. I will still have my kitties and I will finally get some rest but I think the house will seem very different now. All us older cats will be left. No new babies to keep us on our toes. Not there yet though! Still working on it. Lol

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think a moat would be nice! Drawbridge included
Wish I was there to help you dig a moat! I'd find you a few piranha too, then set up a few booby traps for those baddies.

:angrywoman:

Great news! All four kitties passed their interview! No hissing, growling or resistance.
That's wonderful! They are such adorable little things. Love all those little calico babies still outside too. They get that tortitude look in their eyes real young, don't they?

:lol:

I live with four calico/torbie girls, so I know catitude when I see it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that was your best story yet. I laughed, awwwwed, chuckled and super-double-awwwwed at this pic: :hearthrob: :catlove: :hearthrob:
That is so great to hear. It took a long time to upload on this little phone but I wanted to share their reunion. I was so happy to be able to find their Mom as it took awhile. To see them so happy made it one of those great memories. Saying goodbye would have been impossible with out them. Since I had raised them without Mom for a time we were all very bonded. When Mom was found she often used me as a babysitter! Lol I hope the new homes do them justice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bet it does seem quiet right now. Take a moment to breathe deep!

You know, you might consider checking some pawn shops for trail cameras. They can be camoflaged, and you could spot both kitties and those who want to hurt them...but wait...we need to get you a real computer first!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have news! Good for kitties once they adjust. Banjo and Whistle have just left for their new home in Florida. Banjo was nervous but Whistle gave me a look of betrayal. It broke my heart. Fortunately they are going to a home that if Whistle in unhappy, they will bring him back to me. That is a great comfort. I think they will end up being happy there. I await notification of that moment. I will feel much better once they have bonded with their new Dad. For now they will comfort each other. When I told them goodbye they laid together on the floor. I took a last photo. I didn’t realize it then :(but when I looked at the picture , they are laying together in the shape of a heart! :redheartpump::catlove:
E1994268-E5C2-4A7D-8AEE-CB1A339B9F2F.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwwwwww! And now I'm smiling and crying just a little. I know that you will miss them so, but I also know what a triumph this is...the payoff for all of your hard work. These boys are now going to their very own home, where they will be the little Crown Princes in their daddy's life!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I have news! Good for kitties once they adjust. Banjo and Whistle have just left for their new home in Florida. Banjo was nervous but Whistle gave me a look of betrayal. It broke my heart. Fortunately they are going to a home that if Whistle in unhappy, they will bring him back to me. That is a great comfort. I think they will end up being happy there. I await notification of that moment. I will feel much better once they have bonded with their new Dad. For now they will comfort each other. When I told them goodbye they laid together on the floor. I took a last photo. I didn’t realize it then :(but when I looked at the picture , they are laying together in the shape of a heart! :redheartpump::catlove:View attachment 243576
:grouphug: :goldstar: :heartshape: :( :cloud9: :seesaw::hearthrob: :redheartpump::sunshine::bouquet: :cheerleader:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bet it does seem quiet right now. Take a moment to breathe deep!

You know, you might consider checking some pawn shops for trail cameras. They can be camoflaged, and you could spot both kitties and those who want to hurt them...but wait...we need to get you a real computer first!
I started out with trail cameras a friend brought me. I could put the card in an older point and shoot camera to view the pics. Same card size. I had hidden the cameras but they STOLE them. I did get excellent photos of a buzzard first though. Lol Technology is great but these folks seem to know all about it and expect it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been super busy preparing kitties for their new and improved lives. Besides Silver leaving on Friday,
D9A8F3A1-3176-42E4-BA80-710553371082.jpeg

Black Bear left.....
4715A5C6-6926-4D39-B8A2-89E01240D705.jpeg

Mittwo left.......
3550CA38-172C-46B3-AA93-E80AC166B5DA.jpeg

and Duster left.
4D0B796E-E6D3-4EE0-9E6D-350E64BE11B7.jpeg

Then Saturday it was time for Banjo and Whistle to go. A busy weekend for us all. Whistle left me by making me laugh when he gave his opinion about leaving.
0F1A7049-6277-4C21-94F8-105C79958C01.jpeg

I heard from the new Grandaddy as they traveled. The kitties were crying so he played my recorded voice telling them it was okay and to calm down, just lay done. He reported that the recording calmed them and they slept until they got to Florida. Yay! Their new Dad texted me that they are adorable and doing okay. He was set up and prepared for their needs very well. All great!
The rest of my weekend has been spent working on socializing the other kitties here. Thrasher is getting used to petting. Mitsy is recovering from her spay surgery. She had a bit of a rough time but is doing better.
Kelly and the babies allowed me a little closer today.Flowers decided I could come close but hissed. Ha! Typical of Flowers! Still try to make progress on the feral front! My vision has failed me a bit soy posts have been a little slower than usual. Hopefully a better night’s rest will change that. More posts will follow when it does. Happy kitty catching to all out there!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Recording your voice to help the kittens stay calm is such a great idea! I hope they'll all be happy in their new homes.

Are Kelly and Flowers the torbies who are still outside? It sounds as if you're making progress with them.

I only have a very basic trial camera myself, but I've heard you can get some that automatically send pictures to your PC. That way if someone tried to steal them you'd have their face on camera. Padlocking them in place might help too.

I know it's a lot of extra expense and you'd need someone tech savvy to help you set them up. If you are still having problems with certain people it might be worth doing though.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recording your voice to help the kittens stay calm is such a great idea! I hope they'll all be happy in their new homes.

Are Kelly and Flowers the torbies who are still outside? It sounds as if you're making progress with them.

I only have a very basic trial camera myself, but I've heard you can get some that automatically send pictures to your PC. That way if someone tried to steal them you'd have their face on camera. Padlocking them in place might help too.

I know it's a lot of extra expense and you'd need someone tech savvy to help you set them up. If you are still having problems with certain people it might be worth doing though.
Well, good ideas! I tried the outdoor trail cams but they stole them. I don’t have a PC so had to rely on looking at the pics through the card and a point and shoot cam. Since they took the trail cams they also got the cards. My gates have been padlocked for a long time. Five foot fence. They just climbed over it or tore part down. A determined crook can persist through a lot. I had to depend on my eyes, ears and physically being outside at odd times to keep them guessing. I still like the idea of a moat! Lol Thank you for thinking of us though!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ferals are coming a bit closer. Kelly,babies and Flowers. Very good thing since I am encumbered by some of my own failings. Catching 100 has taken a toll on my back. Lol Cloud, Nimbus, Stratus and all three of the little duck kittens were adopted from foster care. Elfie and Sibling, from Thrasher ,have settled in to become domesticated kitties. They were larger kittens by the time I caught them but with those faces..... they should do well.
Thrasher is adapting better than expected. Mitsy is still having issues. She trembles. I thought it from nerves but then she stopped. She did it again for a bit so I brought in the grass they eat. She gobbled it up and seemed better. Perhaps it will help medicinally. She already had flea treatment but this year they seem resistant to everything I use. I will continue observing and if she shows any other symptoms she will need a vet. Poor kitty. She was brought in from outside, her babies were taken, she went to be spayed and then returns here. An awful lot for a feral to adjust to in a short time. Not to mention me putting pills down her throat. I am concerned about her. Spaying does carry some risks. Examining her by myself is difficult but I don’t see any problems. We will find out! She is a beautiful cat. I hate the new rule here that she must have her ear clipped. It wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t clip so much of it. In the earlier days it would have been a cut down and not a cut off. One more thing Mitsy endured. For a cat being released back into the wild it is necessary but I have kept and tamed all of these kitties. It they cannot be tamed and adopted then they will remain with me for safety.(Luckily I have not had to keep a feral from this group yet. I do know it’s coming though.) Ferals have hard lives even after being rescued. I hope this will be the end of that for Mitsy. Nothing but kitty treats and catnip from now on! ❤:catlove:
FB146F92-19DD-493E-A2E6-B10C9624D101.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They do take a big chunk off their ears, don't they?

:frown:

It's optional in Japan, none of mine were ear tipped, and they only take a tiny piece out. It looks like a cherry blossom petal, so ear tipped ferals are known as Sakura cats

upload_2018-7-24_21-21-30.jpeg

Still, it's kind of sad that they have that done as well as being spayed and neutered. Poor things.

Mitsy looks very happy there. How many of your cat are permanent residents?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do take a big chunk off their ears, don't they?

:frown:

It's optional in Japan, none of mine were ear tipped, and they only take a tiny piece out. It looks like a cherry blossom petal, so ear tipped ferals are known as Sakura cats

I love the term for the kitties! Sakura cats. Much more pleasing than ,just spayed or barn cat!
View attachment 244103

Still, it's kind of sad that they have that done as well as being spayed and neutered. Poor things.

Mitsy looks very happy there. How many of your cat are permanent residents?
There are 7 cats that belong to me, 8 that various friends had to give up( due to stroke and severe illness) that I consider my babies. I had 1 more but her dad recovered enough to take her home. So 15. If I have to keep a couple of the ferals it will be a very busy place. The 7 of mine are all rescues from a colony about ten years ago. It was more difficult then to find homes. I got most adopted but the last were either slower to adapt, had some shyness issue or health issue I was dealing with. Poor kitties all. I have had some interest in two of my babies. My Calico longhair and Calico short hair. If they found a good home of their own I would consider letting them move but I worry how they would adapt now.
Mitsy is adaptingslowly. She seems to need the company of other kitties so I will be trying to fit her in with others.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the latest update on the kitties that went for adoption. They have done well so far. They are mixing in a room with other kitties and lots of new people. Mittwo and Silver were not always polite to each other before but the new environment changes their position in the world. So far they are both behaving. I am hoping that when they are used to things there they will use their kitty personalities to steal another heart. They already have mine. I am always grateful for the updates. I worry less about them when I don’t know what stage of the adoption world they are in at any given moment.
My house is a bit quieter tonight. The cats are all asleep at once. That never happens. I love seeing them sleeping. Innocent babies.

Bonjure is all black so it’s hard to tell where he begins and ends! Lol
00DB53EE-7C16-4C9D-8A75-0819A8EEBF81.jpeg

My old gal Smokey unmoving but ever alert. Never know when a bug might show up.
988AEECA-7A09-497A-9CFF-E84B2EB94DE7.jpeg

Good ol laughing Mackie is next to me on my pillow. My guardian.
63F1E855-E2E9-4628-8173-66D389B7D09C.jpeg

These are the ones closest to me. I can photograph them without moving but scattered around me are Lady, Little Girl, Dolly, Mitsy, Cally and Ally. Mitsy is in her security spot. Her carrier.
8764E48A-EEF0-4EFD-B100-AFB7FBA5C85E.jpeg

The others are in hidden spots. Waiting for morning or perhaps something exciting in the night. Tree frogs are always a happy find. ( no worries though. I always rescue them too.) Witout Mittwo here there is a very atmosphere. Her excited personality seemed to keep things buzzing even at bedtime. For now, all is calm. Tomorrow we go back on the hint for Kelly, Flowers and the kittens. Maybe tomorrow will be the day to catch a kitty, or five. Everyday,,,,,,, I hope.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH I have SUCH ideas for Flowers' kittens, so far as names go! Let me know when they are caught. And of course, if there is one little girl who looks just like her, she will HAVE to be Blossom!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The latest on the kitties is that Thrasher has turned into a love bug! Oh my! I never expected an abused feral to be so happy in my arms! I have been holding her in my lap and she purrs like crazy. She rolls across my legs and melts. I am thrilled to see this cat happy. It’s about time she had something go right! I just want to shower her with love. I am. I feel I can’t give her enough. She has some catching up to do.
Kelly has begun to allow me very close to her children. I have finally gotten a good look at them. One is much smaller than the other two but they appear healthy. They certainly gobbled up their plate of food tonight. Each day I get closer. Soon I hope I will get all the kittens and Mom. She seems to want affection. Finally. When I first saw her she ran from me as fast as she could go.
Flowers is another story. She only slightly trusts me. Just enough to appear for food. Petting is a very long way off, if it ever happens. I fear that I better try to hurry the process with her though. She needs to be spayed. Especially since her kittens have been gone for a little while. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
I wish you could have named Flowers kittens. ( I had flower and duck names in mind) They have already been adopted though! They went along with the last two of Thrashers kittens. They arrived in my hands already tame somehow! From a feral Mom to me! I don't know how it happened but they were ready and willing to come right to me. I only had them a couple of days. The two from Thrasher are in foster care. ( I am at a loss being without ANY kittens!) She is having to tame them a bit. They have made wonderful progress! She named them since she has had them for awhile. The name Elfie didn’t stick. They are now Sunstone and moonstone.Considering her picture of them, I think the names work. They are now man kitties! We still have the kittens from Kelly to name. If we do it now they will be used to them by the time I get them. Be thinking! Names welcomed here!
ECE2F078-883E-4938-A32F-1D7320AD8682.jpeg
87A03684-A35C-482D-9AED-6FA1CA269640.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.