My Bambino is going to pop, but when?

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone I’m new to this site but I am getting really concerned about my baby girl duchess we took her to the vet 6 days ago and they said she was due any day with 6-7 kittens. She is nesting for sure, her glands have swelled but she is just laying around sleeping and eating she will occasionally meow and I come running but then nothing, no discharge or anything but she just looks so uncomfortable :( is there anything I can do or should do for her? She is really sweet but huge lol
A601A69E-36E3-49AB-9741-6C59F066906C.jpeg
56CB6B00-92B0-40F9-91A4-A64E47DE3515.jpeg
DA6810C7-2A73-4CBE-9DAB-98BB6BA96AD7.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, for her sake I hope soon. If you know the date of mating, 65 days from then is the average. But it can be any time from 58-67. kittens do not do well at all when they are premature, so the longer the better. It should be easy to see her contractions, they will look like rippling along her abdomen and sides. As long as she is calm, no frantic crying, pacing, etc, everything should be OK. It just takes as long as it takes! I had a cat that had 7 little ones and she was at least as big as her, she did fine. Watch for any discharge and a lot of licking, that means it is very close. As each kitten is born, as long as she is calm, cleaning the kittens and not crying, everything is going well. With that many, she may get exhausted and need your help towards the end, have a warm, wet washcloth ready to wipe the little ones face, remove any membrane and if they are not breathing yet, stimulate their body by rubbing it briskly, even holding them upside down while doing this. She is close, please keep us informed on how she does!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been licking her body and chest but tbh I’m not even sure she can reach her parts because of her short legs and tummy in the way so I haven’t seen any licking down there you know?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, I know! She may WANT to but can't! Just keep her calm and well hydrated, encouraging her to drink water. The birthing should come in the next week, what a wonderful Christmas Present! PS licking/cleaning is good, mean she is comfortable and happy.....

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey ummmm side note I just checked her and she has yellowish discharge can I post a picture of her stuff on here to show y’all? Is that normal?

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it’s a small amount but I am always concerned with her, it’s her first litter

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also just saw her first really hard contraction... how close is this getting?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is her first stage of labour if it is her mucous plug, it sure looks like it is! Now it usually is 24 - 48 hours before delivery. Keep that picture, if more than 48 hours go by and she has not delivered, send that to your vet and see what they say. Warning signs are: starting and in active labour for more than 1 hour and no kitten, bright red freely flowing/clotting blood, and increased distress with no results. She may have a clear or slightly white discharge with streaks of blood, that is normal. She may cry and want you close to comfort her. Try to count the placentas and make sure there is one for each kitten, a missing one should be reported to the vet. If there are two cords attached to one placenta, that is twins and normal, or two ot three kittens may be born and then two or three placentas passed. Watch her so she doesn't chew the leg of a kitten instead of the cord, that does happen but is rare., especially with first time mnoms. if she doesn't chew the cord you may have to pinch it apart, that is best, but you can cut it and then pinch/crush it firmly on the end to close it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be in labour! She will continue to have contractions. if they are hard ones and she has no results in an hour call your vet. If they are softer and you see no membranes at her opening, that can last for hours. You'll see a bulging membrane first, the waters, which will break and then a second membrane that is covering the kittens head. The head is usually delivered first followed by the body, your mama should start licking the kitten, chewing the cord and getting the membranes off. how exciting, and nerve racking!

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I can’t believe I just posted about no labor signs and then BAM! Lol

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will keep everyone posted thank you for the quick reply’s! I also have my vet on speed dial just in case. Fingers crossed it’s today!

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey so we still have no kittens, no more discharge and I haven’t seen anymore contractions :( I feel like we took 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Her temp dropped to 98.9 this morning but still nothing. I am having to keep my Tom cat away from her at all times now because all he wants to do is mount her and I know that can’t be good for her at this point but it is a little strange that, that’s what he wants to do all of the sudden

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her hormones are in high gear like when she is in heat and he is picking up on that. Good they are separated because it would not be good for her.

Haleywire1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I be worried that she isn’t progressing yet?