Mouser cat food!

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have mail ordered a few cans from the online store they list on their website, as well as another brand that sounds good to try out for our kitty Buddy. Should have August 29th. Will update with our experience. Would be nice if I can add another food variety to Buddy's meal options. I hate having only 1 thing that works and that he will eat.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makes me realize that I've never tried green tripe on Desmond.

Our dog will do backflips for green tripe. It is the only item he'd eat before raw liver.

So stinky! Like cow dung.

Bill
My angel kitty, Krista, when she became toothless in her last year (proactive extraction of her remaining teeth to finally end her FORLs nightmare), these became her favorite treat because they were one of the few treats she could eat without teeth.

Your dog would probably love them!

FELINE NATURAL Booster Lamb Green Tripe Freeze-Dried Cat Food Topper, 2-oz bag - Chewy.com

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The girls had the Field Hunter (chicken/mouse) can this evening. Another successful meal. I do think that Mocha likes Rawz a bit better; she eats it faster and cleans her bowl. Iris will gobble down anything so Mocha is the one who needs to approve. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The girls had the Field Hunter (chicken/mouse) can this evening. Another successful meal. I do think that Mocha likes Rawz a bit better; she eats it faster and cleans her bowl. Iris will gobble down anything so Mocha is the one who needs to approve. :)
This is great to hear! I still haven't tried Mouser on our cats -- I also ordered a Cat Person trial box that arrived before the Mouser so started with that. They're not thrilled about Cat Person but will eat it... not atypical for them with new food. I'd be really thrilled about it if it didn't have tapioca but it lacks the things I really can't/won't feed so I'm happy enough with it as is to hope they decide to eat it consistently!

And it's funny that you mention Rawz: the company is near me but the food's not always easy to find here so I ordered a few cans of that, too! The cats have always had a love-hate relationship with Rawz but I'm hoping maybe they're more tolerant of it now. Ha!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
The Pond Hunter (duck/mouse) was received with enthusiasm! But they’ve always liked duck more than rabbit.

A couple of things I’ve noticed about Mouser:
  • It has more moisture in it than the cans of Rawz pâté.
  • The metal in Mouser cans is noticeably thicker than other cat food cans. I didn’t have trouble with the other two, but I had to have my husband open today’s can. I popped the top but couldn’t pull it off!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Pond Hunter (duck/mouse) was received with enthusiasm! But they’ve always liked duck more than rabbit.

A couple of things I’ve noticed about Mouser:
  • It has more moisture in it than the cans of Rawz pâté.
  • The metal in Mouser cans is noticeably thicker than other cat food cans. I didn’t have trouble with the other two, but I had to have my husband open today’s can. I popped the top but couldn’t pull it off!
I just gave our cats small servings (a bit less than 1/4 can each, I think) of Pond Hunter and they both went right for it but neither finished her portion. I'm not surprised since the 7 p.m. meal is a small one anyway and Mouser is definitely a richer, heavier food than what they're used to, even with a little added water.

It's certainly a moist food even without the added water. And the smell, well, it's a bit assertive. But not awful. 🦆 🐭

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Aaand that’s a wrap. They had the Forest Hunter (turkey/mouse) and ate it willingly. Here’s a weird thing: the label said the contents weighed 156 g. but my kitchen scales had the contents at 179 g. The girls ate most of their food but not all. It was more than they’re used to.

I haven’t decided if I’ll order more. I like to give Iris and Mocha variety, but I’d prefer to buy locally.

And the smell, well, it's a bit assertive.
:lol: Great description!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaand that’s a wrap. They had the Forest Hunter (turkey/mouse) and ate it willingly. Here’s a weird thing: the label said the contents weighed 156 g. but my kitchen scales had the contents at 179 g. The girls ate most of their food but not all. It was more than they’re used to.

I haven’t decided if I’ll order more. I like to give Iris and Mocha variety, but I’d prefer to buy locally.

:lol: Great description!
Bonus cat food! I find that a lot of items don't weigh what their labels claim they do. Some of the clumps frozen raw food I used to buy were consistently heavier than labeled. And then there was the time the chicken I bought at the grocery store was way under the promised weight: even though it seemed like a skimpy pound (or whatever it purported to be) the only reason I found out for sure that it was under was that I had to weigh it for making cat food!

Edwina finished off her dish of Mouser and Ireland did a respectable job, too. We'll see how they do with leftovers tomorrow.

Even if the cats love Mouser, I'm not sure how often I'd feed it. I, too, prefer buying locally and it took a fair bit of time for the the package to arrive. I know I can plan for that but even so, it's not especially convenient. Oddly enough, the cats have been enjoying their home-cooked food more than before ( 🤷‍♀️⁉:confused2:) so I'm wondering if that's the way to go. I'm just not sure they'd eat three meals of homemade a day even if they're getting varied proteins and I sometimes add garnishes like gizzard or heart. Cats are just so mysterious and fickle.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s interesting so many of our cats aren’t eating all of the Mouser, or, coming back to it later. To me this implies it’s better for you, and that they are satiated faster. (Either that, or in other cat foods, there is some mystery ingredient that makes them addicts…am inclined to suspect this of FF gravies). As for buying locally, am right there with you, but Mouser is brand new on the market, and I spoke to the folks that make it who say they can’t get it into stores fast enough! To me it would seem easier to feed the world’s cat population with mice than…say, cows, and possibly better for the planet. I dread thinking about how much my catfood contributes to climate change. Home cooked local food, of course, probably beats anything I could order.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s interesting so many of our cats aren’t eating all of the Mouser, or, coming back to it later. To me this implies it’s better for you, and that they are satiated faster. (Either that, or in other cat foods, there is some mystery ingredient that makes them addicts…am inclined to suspect this of FF gravies). As for buying locally, am right there with you, but Mouser is brand new on the market, and I spoke to the folks that make it who say they can’t get it into stores fast enough! To me it would seem easier to feed the world’s cat population with mice than…say, cows, and possibly better for the planet. I dread thinking about how much my catfood contributes to climate change. Home cooked local food, of course, probably beats anything I could order.
Yes, I agree, I think it must be the high calories!

I'm glad to hear the people of Mouser are staying so busy! It seems like very decent food. As is the homemade, which I love feeding because I add no carbs or fillers or thickeners. Despite not especially enjoying the process of making it, I'd feed it all the time if the cats didn't have a history of getting bored with it!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if Mouser has looked into selling the brand directly on their web site as an option? Or have a "fill out this form to get a free sample can" thing.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An addendum on feeding Mouser... I just fed the cats a combination platter for lunch: a small dab of homemade pork food and a large spoonful of Pond Mouser. Edwina went first for the Mouser, finished the homemade, and left a few crumbs of Mouser. Ireland did the exact opposite. What's interesting is that they seem to like Mouser right from the refrigerator... which is unusual.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just got this from the owner/"waiter"/"dish washer"/one man band

Phosphorus:
Phosphorus is 0.30% on an as fed basis, which is about a 1.10% dry matter.
Iodine:
Iodine level is 1ppm on an as fed basis, which is 4.5ppm on a dry matter.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The store finder function for Mouser was more than a little bit off for a retail purchase I hoped to make this week.

They listed an address for a fairly famous local pet store (that doesn't seem to carry Mouser), under the "name" of a different shop that's several hours up the coast (of CA), and a phone number that is in Kentucky IMS. LOL

Oh well.

Bill