Mouser cat food!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went to a local feed store today and found a wet food called Mouser. The second ingredient in the food is mouse! The first is either chicken, duck, turkey, or rabbit depending on the recipe. I was so so so excited. It's pretty expensive at $2.50 for a 5.5 oz can but it's a fun treat! Cookie wholeheartedly approves of the chicken and mouse flavor. I like to think it lets her relive her young hunting days.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
NO WAY. I am so excited. er— I mean Zorro is so excited. He asked me: does it include the little crunchy bits?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's all pate so any crunchy bits have been turned to mush. I haven't done the math to figure out the carbs yet (I'm too busy being excited) but I'm pretty confident carbs will be low. The can also had a lot of juice (not weird gummy stuff!) around the pate so it seemed very hydrating.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Their search engine doesn’t work, so have emailed to find closest source. The dream has been realized. I smell a road trip.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried using their store locator on every device and browser I have. I'm hoping I can find it slightly cheaper somewhere else.

The guaranteed analysis is the same on all 4 cans:
Crude protein min 9%
Crude fat min 7%
Crude fiber max 1%
Moisture max 78%
Ash max 2.5%
Assuming carbs 2.5%

So for dry matter it's around
Protein 40.91%
Fat 31.82%
Fiber 4.55%
Carbs 11.36%

Could be better, could be worse. I'm happy with it since it's made with mice.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope they get it fixed soon so we can find more stores with it.

So far the only downside with this food is that it stinks. A freshly opened can has a very strong general cat food smell and after refrigeration it's definitely more of a whole mouse, guts and all smell. Maybe this is why the website ingredient list says mouse and the can says whole mouse. There's definitely a stink factor.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm curious to know where they source their mice from. Obviously from a breeding operation of some sort but is the operation breeding mice specifically for pet food use like the ones that raise rodents as reptile food?

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Anything you think you might be able to add like a powder to eliminate the stink before it goes down the other end? Does your cat like it?

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
How is it going with the mouse? Have you stuck with it or given up b/c of the stink?

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No way! this is really cool! thanks for sharing. I wish I could have tried this for Amber, she loved mousies. Also curious to know how it's produced and if your cat is enjoying it!

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I think we’d all like to know how the mouse food is going. Is it a hit?

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jesus Christ !!!!! I have issues, got really excited about cat food!!!!
weeeeel…. That didn’t last long, I’m on a east coast …

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed the owner, who replied that they are getting them into new stores as fast as they can! Guess we’ll have to see how this pans out w/ the cats—- I’m sure they’d just prefer a live mouse per can, but they’re not in charge.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I emailed the owner, who replied that they are getting them into new stores as fast as they can! Guess we’ll have to see how this pans out w/ the cats—- I’m sure they’d just prefer a live mouse per can, but they’re not in charge.
I'm imagining the general chaos that would happen if people popped a can of food and a mouse ran out lol.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it even legal to sell this stuff? Sounds like it would be a health violation.

I get that snakes can be fed pinkies but I never heard of them being used in pre made food.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it even legal to sell this stuff? Sounds like it would be a health violation.

I get that snakes can be fed pinkies but I never heard of them being used in pre made food.
Yes, it's legal, one of the raw food companies has been selling ground whole carcass mouse meat for years. I tried it for my cats some years back, neither cat liked it, unfortunately.

Attachments

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's legal, one of the raw food companies has been selling ground whole carcass mouse meat for years. I tried it for my cats some years back, neither cat liked it, unfortunately.
That’s b/c it doesn’t move.…Half the fun of eating! :biggrin: