Mouser cat food!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got this from the owner/"waiter"/"dish washer"/one man band

Phosphorus:
Phosphorus is 0.30% on an as fed basis, which is about a 1.10% dry matter.
Iodine:
Iodine level is 1ppm on an as fed basis, which is 4.5ppm on a dry matter.
Is this for all Mouser foods, Furballsmom Furballsmom ? If so, that's great to hear about the phosphorus... Our cats are now 9.5 so I'm thinking more about phosphorus content even though the get plenty of water in their diet.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will double check with him - I mentioned I'd gotten one of each flavor but he responded like this.
Thank you for double checking! My bet is that they're identical but we'll see! It seems like a lot of foods in the same lines have identical DM figures... I started a spreadsheet of our cats' foods and was a little (but not very) surprised to find that.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tom said yes, those numbers are consistent across all the formulas :)

Box of Rain Box of Rain I mentioned to him about the wonky store locator as well.
In case Tom is wondering, this one is all messed up:

MADDIE MAE'S PET PANTRY - TEMPLETON
11672 VENTURA BLVD.
STUDIO CITY, CA, 91604
(615) 885-4458

Bill

ETA: The address is for Rusty's Pets in Studio City. They claim not to carry. The phone # is for National Pets (or sumpin') in Kentucky.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An independent pet store may be able to special order Mouser or at least look into if their distributor is able to get it. Speak to the store manager, not an employee at the register.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night Betty was stalking her feeder. The minute it opened, she cleaned it of the rabbit and mouse Mouser that was in it. As much as I really want to run the other flavors past her, we're going to stick to rabbit (and mouse) as her novel proteins for her IBD treatment. Once we've sorted that out, we may try the other flavors further down the road.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Similar reaction: I put down a tablespoon, Zorro snacked on half, wandered around the room, said: “Hey, you know what? I LIKE Mouser,” and came back to polish it off.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Similar reaction: I put down a tablespoon, Zorro snacked on half, wandered around the room, said: “Hey, you know what? I LIKE Mouser,” and came back to polish it off.
Krista used to do her own new food slow introductions. New food? Better only take a few bites and see how it sits before I come back for more.
😼👍

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think what's most interesting about feeding Mouser to our cats is that they seem to like the leftovers at least as much as the first serving out of the (room-temperature) can. (I just fed some turkey-mouse leftovers...) This is a good thing since the food is so filling and the cans are so big!

They did this with it last night, the first serving of turkey-mouse.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Mouser, Inc. is reading our replies…I too, would prefer a smaller can, even tho he eats it all...just worried about having that much catfood in the fridge.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Mouser, Inc. is reading our replies…I too, would prefer a smaller can, even tho he eats it all...just worried about having that much catfood in the fridge.
Yes, even with two cats who will eat leftovers, I much, much prefer small cans!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We’re alternating cans here between Mouser and Rawz in the rabbit flavors. She is loving it. But she’s also on pred. So she may love anything I put down. In this spirit, we’re zipping through a food transition to finally get her off the Hills I/D. Tonight, we got down to the last 30 grams in the Rawz can for her overnight feeder portion. I don’t want to waste a fresh can portion of Mouser on the fridge or a feeder. So I put out some on her second dinner plate. Then I added some more. And before you know it, she’s got a 2/3 portion of Mouser on the plate. I didn’t mean to fully transition this meal all at once. Though I probably could since she’s been eating the stuff for overnight and lunch portions. So I added a 1/3 portion of her I/D to the plate. Betty, I hope you take your time with this. 🙏

No such luck.😋😽🐷 She started with the Mouser and then kept on going and cleaned that plate. She has a Rawz snack in the feeder.

And now I’m hiding in the bathroom to give her a few moments to burp if she needs to 🙊 before she sits on my shoulder for bedtime cuddles.😽🥰

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tom said yes, those numbers are consistent across all the formulas :)

Box of Rain Box of Rain I mentioned to him about the wonky store locator as well.
I'm going to order a few cans of the poultry recipes for my picky one and see how it goes.

I don't understand how the phosphorus is the same for all the formulas. Duck is typically a higher phosphorus meat (duck breast for e.g.), than chicken breast. Given that mouse meat is expensive, am I to assume there is more of the non-mouse meat than mouse in the recipes and if so, how can the phos be the same for all?

Maybe this has already been addressed in this thread, if so sorry -- I need to read through carefully.
Thanks to all who've researched, made calls and tried this new food with their kitties. :)

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to order a few cans of the poultry recipes for my picky one and see how it goes.

I don't understand how the phosphorus is the same for all the formulas. Duck is typically a higher phosphorus meat (duck breast for e.g.), than chicken breast. Given that mouse meat is expensive, am I to assume there is more of the non-mouse meat than mouse in the recipes and if so, how can the phos be the same for all?

Maybe this has already been addressed in this thread, if so sorry -- I need to read through carefully.
Thanks to all who've researched, made calls and tried this new food with their kitties. :)
I actually notice the same thing myself (re: phosphorus). My assumption is that there is a scant amount of mice in these recipes. I'm somewhat surprised that mouse meat is so expensive, but that is certainly the case.

Bill

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Freeze the leftover canned food for another meal :) This can be done for any brand of canned food. You can just freeze the entire can or portion out into an ice cube tray or other container. Thaw the food in the fridge overnight before feeding. Depending on the texture of the food, ingedients, etc the food may still be a bit frosty in the middle which most cats are ok with but add warm water and mix if you have a picky cat. Cats who won't eat "stale" food that has been in the fridge may not eat food that has been frozen.