Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For our May 2023 book, we decided to do a poll, with a book from 3 different genres. One is historical fantasy. The second is a suspenseful psychological horror. And the third is young adult fiction.

The poll will run for 5 days, giving everyone a chance to vote, then time to acquire the book by May. The book that gets the most votes will be May's choice. If there's a tie, we'll read one in May and the other(s) in future months.

Feel free to post any questions and/or comments below.

Here are the descriptions for the 3 books.

1. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
1679842312058.png

2. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
1679842483189.png

3. Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
1679847632294.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a little more than 24 hours left to vote. As of now, "Tell The Wolves I'm Home" is winning, but if "Shutter Island" can get one more vote, we'll have a tie, and then be able to read both of them, one in May and one another month. So if you haven't voted yet, your vote can still make a difference.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1680261964751.png

In fact, just a little more than 8 hours to go.

My vote was for one I've already read and loved! :lol: I should probably go with something I've never read for a new adventure.
Hey! All good, as the poll asked you to "Vote for the book we should read in May 2023" and since you picked one you've read and loved, that's a pretty good choice. :thumbsup:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The poll closed a few hours ago, and we have a tie with Shutter Island and Tell The Wolves I'm Home each getting 40% of the votes. So we'll be reading one of them in May, and the other in a later month. The announcement of which one we'll be reading will be made tomorrow. Thanks to all who voted.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks again to everyone who voted in our poll. If one book had gotten the most votes, that is the one we would be reading in May. But since we have a tie, we will read one book in May and the other in June.

To decide which one to read first, we could have flipped a coin, or did a tie breaker poll, but decided to just go alphabetically by book title. So the book we'll be reading in May is Shutter Island. And then we'll read Tell The Wolves I'm Home in June.

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
1680359051174.png

Reading period will be May 1st to May 21st.
And we'll discuss it / post our reviews beginning on May 22nd.

Hope you'll join us in May!

And if you want to join in sooner, we're reading a classic by Agatha Christie in April.
April 2023 Book Of The Month Club - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Shutter Island is really good!!!
Good to hear! If you're able, you'll have to do a reread, or at least a fast skim through, so you can join us when it's discussion time.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear! If you're able, you'll have to do a reread, or at least a fast skim through, so you can join us when it's discussion time.
I plan on it rubes. My new glasses should be ready by the middle or end of May so I won't have a prob reading I hope🤞

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Shutter Island is really good. I read it years ago. When the movie came out, I had to watch it.
If you still have the book, artiemom artiemom , or can easily get a copy, maybe consider re-reading it. And if not, if you remember enough about it, you're welcome to join in the discussion.

I plan on it rubes. My new glasses should be ready by the middle or end of May so I won't have a prob reading I hope🤞
Oh, that's excellent Mia6 Mia6 . Both having you read with us again, and especially you having good vision back.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My e-book loan for Shutter Island just became available. I have 3 days to borrow it, before it goes back in the pool, and as there's only 1 copy and 4 people waiting for it, I can't wait for the next turn. So will probably borrow it tomorrow. My loan will be for 3 weeks, though, so that will be for the better part of the May 1st to 21st reading period.

Anyone else acquire, or close to acquiring, the book yet?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1682946583779.png

Happy May fellow readers! Hope you've all been able to acquire a copy of Shutter Island.
Reading period starts today, and discussion on May 22nd.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Once I finish the book I'm reading, I'm going start Shutter Island.

Who else plans to read it this month?