• 3. Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl and Robyn5678 Robyn5678 : how are you coming along with the book?

I've read a lot the last few days and am at 75% now. Definitely got better the further into it.

Anyone else reading it?
Page 112 of 414!
The book gets flung aside whenever there's a totally unnecessary or ridiculous simile or metaphor and I really don't need to know what's going on inside someone's underwear! :lol:
I'm plodding onwards, hoping for some excitement.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took the book outside - read a few pages - noticed the grass growing between the concrete slabs on the terrace and spent all day on my knees with a wire brush.
Almost half-way though the book so it's time for Shutter Island to start getting exciting! Can't wait!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1684430505446.png

No pressure (well maybe a little) for those of you still reading, but just a reminder that we'll be starting the discussion of Shutter Island in 4 days.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Guess Iā€™ll try again next month! This book just isnā€™t catching my attention. Not sure I can make it to halfway thru the book where it picks up.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear that, Robyn5678 Robyn5678 , but understand, as I found the first part slow going. But absolutely try again next month as it's a totally different type of story.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still struggling - 75% completed but, although I can usually read quite calmly about a murder or two, I am having difficulty with "bubbling blood" and the torturing which goes on in this book. Perhaps I'm just not in the right mood.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am having difficulty with "bubbling blood" and the torturing which goes on in this book. Perhaps I'm just not in the right mood.
Hmmm... I seem to have forgotten that part. Keep it in mind to mention again once we start the discussion, and maybe it will refresh my memory.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1684695346215.png

I don't think there's many of us participating this month, but for those of us who are, discussion starts tomorrow.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! Here it's now 22nd May and, although I had plenty of other things to do, I spent yesterday evening reading the last 70 (?) pages of our book of the month. :)

Well.........An unlikely tale!

The last 20 pages were page-turners, the last 100 pages were quite well written, but the first 300 were badly wriiten, boring and a waste of time.
The ending/explanation was clever, but the background violence, children and woman murdered, war, attacks on guards were too much for me (at the present time). I found the withdrawal symptoms, hallucinations, dreams and "reality" performances by Chuck alias Dr Sheehan and his future wife, nurse Emily, somewhat confusing. While reading the last chapter, I was still not sure if Teddy had accepted his true identity, but that white bundle with something metallic hidden in it convinced me of the rather sad truth.

I'll give just 2 stars for the last 3 chapters. The rest I could have done without.
ā­ā­

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's the 22nd of May here too, so here's my review, which was written the day after I finished the book, while my thoughts were fresh in my mind.

Finished reading this last night, and was tempted to immediately go to the Goodreads site to see what the reviewers had to say about it. But wanted to write my own review first, before my thoughts got tainted with other opinions. So here goes.

The book started out very slowly for me. In fact, Iā€™d have to say I was somewhat bored at the beginning. But I persevered, and by the 50% mark, it had gotten really good. And by the 75% mark, really really good !!!

That ending though. Obviously the white material with the shiny metal meant they were going to do the brain surgery on him.
So was he Teddy, and theyā€™d drugged and tried to gaslight him, and were now going to mess with his brain? Or was he Andrew and had actually been on the island for 2 years, and ā€œTeddyā€ was all a coping mechanism for all that had happened to him?

I guess it must be the latter, as I canā€™t see them doing that to a US Marshall, knowing someone would eventually come looking for him. But it was quite an elaborate charade they set up, not to mention risk they took, to let a violent mental patient have full run of the island, especially during a hurricane. But I guess thatā€™s what an experimental treatment is all about. Definitely left me thinking and wondering, even now hours after I finished reading it.
1684752738923.png