April 2023 Book Of The Month Club - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In April we’re doing something we haven’t done before in our TCS book club, we’re reading a book by a repeat author. Who is this repeat author? Why none other than the best-selling novelist of all time, Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie.

The book for April 2023 is
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by
Agatha Christie
1677761002611.png

When discussing which book we’d read this month, we considered both “Murder on the Orient Express” and “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd”. We ultimately chose “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd” for the main reason that it is available to download for free from Project Gutenberg.

“The Murder of Roger Ackroyd” is part of the Hercule Poirot series, however, per the below screenshot from the Q&As at Goodreads, you don’t have to read the preceding ones first, as all are separate stories.

1677760815860.png

We will be reading it between April 1st and April 21st.
Discussion will begin April 22nd

Everyone is invited to read along with us. You can RSVP by posting in this thread.

Download for free from Project Gutenberg at: The murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

E-book at Hoopla: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd e-book
Audio book at Hoopla: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd audio book

Buy at Amazon:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Reviews can be read at Goodreads:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #3)

That should cover everything, however, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Did we not do this before? Obviously not. :lol:
But I did get it recently and read it. Happy to reread.. without pre-empting anything, it is rather good, IMO. :biggrin:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We read And Then There Were None back in June last year. Looking forward to reading another by Agatha Christie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mani mani : As V verna davies posted, it was And Then There Were None that we read last year, however Roger Ackroyd was briefly discussed in that thread, so you weren't totally mis-remembering. Glad you're going to re-read it and join us in April. This will be only my 2nd Agatha Christie book, so looking forward to reading it.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The Kindle version has a 3 and a half month wait list at my library! So I ordered a hardback large print version from the statewide library system. It will arrive in the next few weeks.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ll be renewing it, there are a few copies and a couple ebooks so I’ll just renew or get another till it’s time to read it 😂
Oh that's good. My library has 2 different ebook versions, so I have them both on hold. Hopefully I'll get one by April.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My library is a member of something called Hoopla. It is a free lending service run by a large supplier of media to libraries. There are no waiting lists. If they have it, you can download it immediately. They have The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, if anyone else's library is a subscriber to Hoopla here in the US. I just saw it today and I have not been able to find a copies for e-readers, but it works on many other platforms.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great that your library has Hoopla, Boris Diamond Boris Diamond , now you know you'll be able to borrow it for April.

My library has Hoopla too, and it's great not having to wait to borrow something. There's both e-books and audiobooks, plus comics, and also tv show episodes and movies. So definitely anyone who uses their library's electronic borrowing system, see if they also have Hoopla.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1680359834944.png
1680360374940.png

Homer Simpson probably would never read Agatha Christie, but looks like Lisa Simpson would.
So be like Lisa, and consider joining us in reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd this month. :grouphug2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone start reading yet? Just wondering if it's a fast read, or not.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I picked it up from my library this morning . I'll probably start it in a few days after I finish my current read.