Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

DA BIRD ARRIVED!

i broke down and ordered it for Hekitty, and I'm thinking that Frankenstein has nothing on me in the "create a monster" department!  It arrived at 3:30 this afternoon, and already Hekitty is grabbing the end of the stick and dragging it over to me to play!  And this is the cat who totally ignored all other wand toys and laser pointers!  Wait...I lie...she loved the laser pointer.  She wouldn't chase the red light, but she liked to knock the actual pointer around the house.

Have you all noticed that Hekitty is...odd?
    No way, Hekitty isn't odd, Hekitty is your perfect example of a kitty:  asleep/observing the world 23 1/2 hours a day, eating 25 minutes and litter tray the remaining 5.  Brief moments chasing after the source of that little red dot are also very normal in my house:  all my cats have done that.  Mouse appears from  nowhere the second I open the drawer where his lazer torch is kept.  

He was a daemon for DaBird as well for a couple of years, and would do that drag to where ever I was (including laying in bed trying to sleep) but he's lost interest recently so I've tidied it away and will see if I can get him to raise his activity levels again in a few months.  I love watching cats leaping and racing about after that toy, it is brilliant.  (esp as the human hardly has to move at all while the cat runs about all over the place). 

I get off track with brushing too. It is always a pain to have to reintroduce it. 

I have had a productive day so far. I brushed Carrot for a good amount of time since he's shedding a lot. I also clipped his nails, Angua's nails, and our dog's nails.
Mouse is very good at keeping me on my toes with his tooth brushing....  I keep his toothpaste and the little interdental brush he likes right beside his Thrive fish treets and he routinely jumps up and stares at the tube of paste in the morning and again at night.    As far as he's concerned it is one of his treats and I am not to deprive him of it, at least once and preferably twice a day.  

@Margret   I am sorry to hear you have been going through such a tough time and hope things settle down soon, and Roger's health improve.   Life in a soap opera is definitely not a good idea:  may you be bored very soon. 

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Had a productive day today. Made $230.00 at a yard sale. Made a granddaughter super happy by giving her a great new bike, got to see 4 of my grandchildren, got to spend some time with my oldest son, spent the day with my husband, now pizza and drinks!
Kitties are mad at me though. But they'll get over it.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi, everyone.

I'm back, in a limited fashion.  Last Friday I had to talk Roger into going to the hospital because he was so sick he couldn't stand without more help than I was able to give him.  It took some real talking to convince him, too.  Turns out he hadn't been paying bills for some time; we were without health insurance.  {As a side note, my mother taught me many years ago that some illnesses produce states of mind or actions that make the illness more successful.  Roger has depression, and for the last four years it has been causing him to make some really poor decisions, both in his business and at home, which, in turn, make the depression worse.  I knew he was on an antidepressant; I had suggested it.  What I didn't know was that he was taking it only three times a week, so it was unable to do its job.  And I'm seriously embarrassed that it took me four years to figure out which question to ask.  I only got him to begin taking it daily about two weeks before this other illness hit, and the depression and shortage of money from the bad business decisions explains the unpaid bills.  This also explains the poor decisions he made with regard to the house guests from hell.}  Anyway, in the hospital Roger was diagnosed with a blood sepsis and colitis, both caused by staph.  If I hadn't gotten him in when I did it's extremely likely that I would have lost him.  He is now much better and is in a rehab facility working on getting his strength back.

It never rains but it pours.  When I found out how sick Roger was I had just noticed that my computer had decided it couldn't charge.  I'm unable to get on TCS effectively with either my first generation iPad or my smart phone, and until today I've been busy running around, visiting the bank to deposit the first check from my mother's estate, paying bills, visiting Roger in the hospital, talking him into going into rehab instead of trying to come home when he still couldn't stand on his own, visiting him in rehab, etcetera.  I've been running on too little sleep, too few meals, and too much caffeine.  Today was the first day I had any chance at all to get the computer in to Micro Center, and I lucked out -- it was a simple problem for them to fix and they did it for free.  I'm out the time and gas, and $12 I spent on impulse purchases, and that's all (though if I'd stayed any longer the impulse purchases might have become overwhelming; Micro Center is almost as bad as a book store that way
).  So, I can now get back on TCS, assuming I can find the time to do so.  There are still at least three bills that need paying, one of which is to my doctor, I still need to visit Roger frequently, and I am still running on caffeine more than anything.  It is now a quarter of midnight; I haven't had supper yet, and I need to visit the grocery store as well before I go to bed.  Fortunately, once I do go to bed I should be able to get ten hours or so of sleep, assuming I don't get any more calls from nurses who need me to talk Roger into being sensible about something.  Unfortunately, it's likely to be another week before I have a chance to sleep in again.

And, by the way, I just hate it when it feels like I'm living in a soap opera.  I'm much happier being bored.  That's an easy problem to fix -- it's what books are for.

Later, all.  Margret
You are In my thoughts.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, making stuffed mushrooms for the very first time. Not sure how they'll come out.  

Princess and Rose have decided (for some reason) that they like my small twin bed more than AWM's queen sized bed--and I'm not complaining. 
 It's been getting in the low fifties at night, and with them on the bed I don't need the heated blanket. Ra was just upset yesterday; he wanted pets from RB's hobbit-liike feet and RB was at work so he sulked right up until RB got back home. Asia's been whining a bit. I don't know if she's whining because the yard looks very  different (and much better in my opinion) or because Slipper's gone. 
 Spot is just loving the new yard. He spent time yesterday rolling in the grass clippings and then he caught a couple of those horrible bullying gray birds that are everywhere around here. 

Didn't make the parade today; life happens and just couldn't get there. I hear it was fun, but it doesn't really matter too much. (It's cloudy, so we might have been rained out just as easily.)

I keep having dreams where Slipper shows up at the back door only to wake up and know she's not coming home again. 
 I'm glad I've got two kitties sleeping with me. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hurray for new flooring being done @NewYork1303.  

I hope it looks good.    Of course your cats will now need to make sure the new floor is safe, and get their paw scent all over it, and once those tasks are done they will be bored and looking for new passtimes to get your attention.  Enjoy the peace while you can.  

@Kittens Mom   You might want to go in and edit your lovely post to Margret and add a few words before I remember I'm a mod' and put a friendly reminder in about how many words you need to use in each babbling post .   

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The floor is done. No more having to worry about cats ripping up all the foam under it. Of course, next comes painting so we'll have to worry about them running through the paint instead.

View media item 351007
Your floor looks beautiful! All that open space makes me want to dance. I hope you have an epic dance party before moving the furniture back in!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not even going to try to respond to all the well wishes individually, just, thank you all so much for your support.

I got the computer in yesterday by completely skipping a visit to Roger, on his suggestion.  If it had been the major job that we expected it to be it needed to get in as soon as possible so that it could be seen to sooner.  There was a sign at check-in saying that the earliest a computer repair would be begun is next Tuesday -- the downside of a long weekend.

Roger's depression is already being treated.  He's been feeling so rotten for so long that it's come to him as a revelation how much better he feels when he takes his pills every day, and the nurses at rehab have been made aware of how essential the antidepressants are for him.  I doubt that I could have gotten him to agree to the hospital at all if he hadn't already been on them for two weeks when this hit; he would have accused me of bullying him and trying to kill him by giving him an ulcer (this has been the pattern for some time now -- depression is a well documented side effect of diabetes, which Roger has, but he's been thinking of it as situational depression, caused by me since I'm the one who keeps calling him on his irrational behavior).  I would still have made him go to the hospital, I'd have called 911 with or without his approval, but it's much easier with his approval.  And because the antidepressants make him feel so much better, I don't expect him to backslide on this.  When he's fully in his right mind, Roger is an intelligent, rational human being.

My dietary needs are such that I can't eat fast food; one of the reasons I haven't been getting enough meals is my need to come home and prepare them for myself.  When I do manage meals, however, I make sure they're as healthy as possible.  It helps that we recently got a Trader Joe's on this side of town.  Also, I'm getting plenty of B vitamins for the stress.

I had to stay home this morning for a delivery that needed to be taken care of as soon as it arrived, so I finally got this poor rose bush planted -- I hope I made it in time.  Jasmine is deeply offended that I didn't ask her to help me dig the hole for it, since she considers herself to be an expert at digging and would even have been happy to add some natural fertilizer.  Oh well.  She should get over her snit around supper time.

Once again, thank you all, and I'm very glad to be back.

Margret

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@LTS3    Don't you absolutely Hate when that happens!!??? 

The alarms in my apartment go off periodically, usually for someone cooking something. I used to run out the door, in a panic. Now, I am not in such a hurry. I do go to the bathroom, quick change of clothes, grab phone, and a flashlight if it is at night (lights go off --emergency lights are a minimum) grab keys, telephone, and run downstairs. The elevators automatically go to the first floor and stop working (stupid)...
The last time the building fire alarms went off was 6 years ago. That was before I had the two cats. I did have gerbils but they were easy enough to pop into their travel box and carry outside. No idea what happened this morning. There wasn't an ambulance so it likely wasn't a medical emergency. Might have been something minor or a faulty alarm, although all the fire alarm and detectors were checked two months ago.

Love the floors @NewYork1303
I had hardwood floors installed before I moved in. It was a neutral off white carpet which was in brand new condition but I knew I woud have pets later on and carpet is a PITA to clean up pet messes from. I chose bamboo flooring in a color similar to yours.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have hard wood floors also, but wish they were linoleum. Cat litter gets in the cracks when it shrinks during the winter months. It's a pain to get it out.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks beautiful! I'm glad for you, and good luck with your walls! (That is not going to be easy.)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The last time the building fire alarms went off was 6 years ago. That was before I had the two cats. I did have gerbils but they were easy enough to pop into their travel box and carry outside. No idea what happened this morning. There wasn't an ambulance so it likely wasn't a medical emergency. Might have been something minor or a faulty alarm, although all the fire alarm and detectors were checked two months ago.

Love the floors @NewYork1303
I had hardwood floors installed before I moved in. It was a neutral off white carpet which was in brand new condition but I knew I woud have pets later on and carpet is a PITA to clean up pet messes from. I chose bamboo flooring in a color similar to yours.
We have hardwood just about everywhere in the house other than bathrooms and bedrooms now. We plan to get the carpet out of the bathroom next (seriously who was thinking putting it in there).
I have hard wood floors also, but wish they were linoleum. Cat litter gets in the cracks when it shrinks during the winter months. It's a pain to get it out.
Ours is fake hardwood (laminate flooring). There are no cracks for kitty litter thankfully since the whole floor just floats as a complete unit shrinking and expanding without breaking apart. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We have hardwood just about everywhere in the house other than bathrooms and bedrooms now. We plan to get the carpet out of the bathroom next (seriously who was thinking putting it in there).

Ours is fake hardwood (laminate flooring). There are no cracks for kitty litter thankfully since the whole floor just floats as a complete unit shrinking and expanding without breaking apart. 
My great aunt and uncle had carpet put in their bathroom. Apparently they didn't like the cold tile floor but didn't want a bathroom rug
When their daughter prepped the unit to be sold, she had the carpet removed and found signficant water damage underneath. The entire floor had to be pulled up and redone. It was a very tiny bathroom so I don't think it cost a whole lot to redo the floor.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the mushrooms came out okay. They tasted awesome, but they looked horrible. Not the sort of thing that would ever be served in restaraunt, which is kind of sad since they tasted better than anything I've ever had before. And good night everybody! 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My great aunt and uncle had carpet put in their bathroom. Apparently they didn't like the cold tile floor but didn't want a bathroom rug
When their daughter prepped the unit to be sold, she had the carpet removed and found signficant water damage underneath. The entire floor had to be pulled up and redone. It was a very tiny bathroom so I don't think it cost a whole lot to redo the floor.
This is exactly what I worry about! The carpet is also crazy about sucking in cat litter so I bet there's a pound of it under there. The carpet came with the house that way, I want to install some vinyl or something.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Is anyone else having problems with the site loading slowly and dropping replies?  I have to keep closing and opening it and grrrrr.  Am getting frustrated.  

BTW:  beautiful floors, @NewYork1303

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is anyone else having problems with the site loading slowly and dropping replies?  I have to keep closing and opening it and grrrrr.  Am getting frustrated.  

BTW:  beautiful floors, @NewYork1303
Thank you! 

I was having problems with it not loading at all yesterday at some points. But now it all seems to be better again. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful Flooring!!!

My floors are similar, but not as new as yours. I have an apartment where the floors a laminate. I think the previous tenant had wall to wall rugs because they were in such good shape when we moved in. They are now installing bamboo floors on the ones who need it. A light colored bamboo.

I love the color of your floors. Good Job....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This is exactly what I worry about! The carpet is also crazy about sucking in cat litter so I bet there's a pound of it under there. The carpet came with the house that way, I want to install some vinyl or something.
I don't think cat litter ever got stuck in my parents' carpet when I had cat way back then
But the dingy low pile carpet was like 50 years old and completely flattened from years of use so nothing really got ground in anyways. My parents still have that same horrible carpet today

I'm sure the cats will enjoy your new hardwood floor
My two skitter and slide across my floors all the time
Leroy once went sliding across the floor, under the sofa, and hit the wall

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.