Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She likes Tiki Cat Raw!

I spoke with the owner of the raw feeders coop yesterday and she brought up a really good point. Normally I don’t give her bone because bone can constipate the IBD kitty. But slowing things down may not be such a bad thing right now.

So before I start mixing yet another batch of raw that she may not like, I decided to thaw the mini tub of Tiki Cat Raw Turkey Recipe. I set out 1/4 oz and she took no convincing to finish it. I’ll give her another 1/4 or 1/2 oz at dinner. She can have two small treat meals a day until we have seen a poop.

Speaking of which, she likely didn’t eat enough yesterday to poop. She’s still eating though. Just slower and less without the mirtz. But if it gives her gut a chance to heal, maybe she can make up the calories with Tiki Raw, if it agrees with her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'll have to look into that, I think I'd missed that tiki cat had raw...dang, either way, the pet food industry is moving pretty fast these days!
Ah, I see, on the shelves as of May this year. Nope, I didn't know, so thank you for the mention of it :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista had a visitor today. How exciting!

I have a friend from out of town who came through to visit with us. Several years ago, the apartment I was living in at the time had to undergo a week of renovations. I figured it would be easier on Krista to spend a week with this friend. I’m not sure if Krista recognizes or remembers Melissa. Or if that’s just her naturally. Krista really is a social love bug. If any of you came to visit, I might hide but she would come out and make friends. Melissa came in and sat down and Krista made a beeline straight for her, rubbing, nuzzling, and really laying it on thick. She wasn’t at all looking as worn and ragged as she does with me. To see her perk up the way she did, I will hire my sitter to come feed and play with her some time after we’re done with fleas.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'll have to look into that, I think I'd missed that tiki cat had raw...dang, either way, the pet food industry is moving pretty fast these days!
Ah, I see, on the shelves as of May this year. Nope, I didn't know, so thank you for the mention of it :)
I’ve been sitting on this tub for a long time. I think the last time I tried to offer her some, she wasn’t eating regardless of what I offered. But I can’t wait to offer her a little more for dinner. I really hope this works for her, even as a guest meal, because we’ve both been missing the difference raw makes. Plus I haven’t seen her that (naturally) excited about plated food in a long time.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s motoring through a 20 g portion of the Tiki Cat Raw like she hasn’t refused just about every raw I’ve put in front of her since Rad Cat expired. She did however fling a tiny piece of bone which made me think for a second, “was that a tooth?” But she’d tell me if that was a tooth.

Wow! I took her plate down to a Katris feeding station. It’s a compromise between the counter and the floor. She took a piece to the floor. Chewed it up. Then went back to the Katris to get another piece. She doesn’t do that with Rawz. If she makes it to the floor with Rawz, she’s not going back up to the Katris again.

Good for her! And good on Tiki Cat for once again saving my cat!

Haven’t seen the poops yet though....

Going on 48 hours. But she’s still eating really well. So I’m rooting for nuggets or poopquats (like kumquats in size and shape) over ropes or puddles.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:poop:

California is a legal state. That was a poop blunt! A half cigar. It looked like it took its time. More turtle than hare.

Go Krista!

Still waiting to see if that was the plug before the floods or all there is.
o_O

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I might have to look into tiki cat raw, I've had a little luck with tiki cat, the tiki cat tuna shrimp and pumpkin Zoe liked, and Lily likes the tiki cat pumpkin and wheat grass "tummy topper". So worth a shot..always trying to try something new and healthier with them. I'm glad Krista really likes it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night she ate a 20 g portion of the Tiki Cat Raw and slept for hours! I wonder if the bone is giving her pause. Or if she's just satiated with nutrition she can actually assimilate. This morning I gave her a 14 g portion which she was still excited about. Then followed that with another 14 g portion of her normal Rawz turkey--a vehicle to deliver yeast to her gut. Well, she ate the yeast and a few more bites of the turkey. And now she's sleeping hard on the bed. I wonder if I should read anything into it that she's sleeping on the bed rather than under the bookcase. Like does she feel more at ease this morning than those bookcase mornings?

I don't think last night's poop would reflect the Tiki Cat Raw. So I'm waiting for the next poop to see if and how this will work for her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A poopquat and a cigar butt. As perfectly formed and odorless as cat poop comes! Is this the same cat who has been squirting for weeks?

Now I just have to get her portions back up without the mirtz.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another poopquat and an aborted carpet campaign. Luckily, her carpet campaigns always begin with scratching on the carpet first. If I’m quick, that’s my cue to chase her to poop jail. She tried another box but nothing more. Then she had a watery barf right outside the litter-box. Is she still dealing with the stomach bug or did she just strain too hard? I don’t know. We’ll wait and see.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She eats less but she seems pretty healthy all the same. I could be imagining this but her coat feels better, she seems perkier, plays a little harder if not as long. I’m willing to grant that the little extra amount of highly digestible raw food she’s getting may be paying dividends already. No poops yet since the bonus round last night. I think she ate about half of the 20 g I put out for her. She’s got a little longer on the clock. And just like that, she’s pulling up for round three on that plate.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday morning weigh-in: 8 lbs.

Still losing weight. :(

But...aside from a tiny runny piece yesterday, no more squirts since Tuesday. I'd rather she rid herself of the clostridium than shovel in food that's just going to rip through her.

But there has to be something workable in between these two.

I brought Rawz rabbit back into her rotation. She's definitely excited about this development. She's eating the small rabbit portions I plate pretty well. I am still waiting to see her next poop before I add much more. I am encouraged by how readily she eats the rabbit though. I think she got seriously bored or sick of the turkey. Pooper willing, I will likely also bring duck back into rotation. I think it's going to be a lot easier to have a rotation again with the rabbit and duck available in 3 oz cans now. It was a lot more wasteful trying to rotate flavors with 5.5 oz cans.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have another batch of turkey meat stock slow cooking right now. Another 35 minutes until it's done plus another 8 hours for it to set up into meat jello before I can serve her new stock tonight. I had the butcher break up the legs nicely with a cleaver. Then I stripped much of the meat from the bones with poultry shearers and saved that meat for making food with the new food processor I bought. Removing most of the meat reduced the amount of water needed by 1/3. This should make for a tastier, more concentrated stock.

I will defrost some turkey liver tonight and pulse together with some retained muscle meat yesterday and start the next round of Krista Test Kitchen, once again looking for a homemade recipe she will eat more than once.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's had about 1/2 oz of Rawz rabbit and I gave her about 1/4 to 1/2 oz of poached turkey sliced right off the bone from one of the pieces in the slow cooker. She ate that up! So she's at maybe 1/2 to 1 oz of food this morning. I put out some more rabbit, some more turkey rawz, and a little Tiki Cat Raw and she's decided it's back under the bookcase time. :( I may cut up a little of the reserved raw meat from last night. Tonight, I will mix that meat with some turkey livers I bought from the co-op last week. And thus begins a new season of Krista Test Kitchen.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 you've got this! Krista is absolutely gorgeous! Keep up the good work, oftentimes the cat guardian knows better than vet what to do because you know your Krista. It sounds like you are doing the best you can to take care of you also and that is so important. We're keeping our paws crossed for speedy recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.