Kovu died

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to ask about grieving cats. He was his mom's shadow (and basically everyone's shadow as well, always following cats and humans around). And it seems like my other cats are alright, maybe a little confused. My mother says, that she saw mom cat searching for him a couple times. This girl is a really chill cat, she's okay with every other cat and human. We will eventually be ready for a new kitten with my mom (maybe sometimes next year or maybe a little later, we will see). And I was wondering, if anyone here has some experience with introducing new kittens to cats who lost kittens before. Like I know that the girls will be completely okay with a new kitten and Kumi will get used to it as well. But will it be more than just okay? Like can this mom cat benefit from a new kitten emotionally? And can the others? He was the one, who always played with all of them, he stole everyone's heart. Buttercup (my black and white cat) is a really shy, scaredy lady. He was her first friend, probably because it was impossible to get scared by a small kitten. The 3 adults have this sort of respect for each other, but they don't really play together ever, they don't even interact that much besides silently sitting near eachother. And all 3 seem melancholy right now.

Attachments

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are always curious to explore new things. I'm so sorry for you and Kovu. I'm an old man now and have had many cats in my life. But I must say the black one to the right has been my best friend for 15 years. His name is Batman. Below is batman showing off his lion cut. He was the first black cat and the friendliest cat of all.
Picture 994.jpg

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to ask about grieving cats. He was his mom's shadow (and basically everyone's shadow as well, always following cats and humans around). And it seems like my other cats are alright, maybe a little confused. My mother says, that she saw mom cat searching for him a couple times. This girl is a really chill cat, she's okay with every other cat and human. We will eventually be ready for a new kitten with my mom (maybe sometimes next year or maybe a little later, we will see). And I was wondering, if anyone here has some experience with introducing new kittens to cats who lost kittens before. Like I know that the girls will be completely okay with a new kitten and Kumi will get used to it as well. But will it be more than just okay? Like can this mom cat benefit from a new kitten emotionally? And can the others? He was the one, who always played with all of them, he stole everyone's heart. Buttercup (my black and white cat) is a really shy, scaredy lady. He was her first friend, probably because it was impossible to get scared by a small kitten. The 3 adults have this sort of respect for each other, but they don't really play together ever, they don't even interact that much besides silently sitting near eachother. And all 3 seem melancholy right now.
I have just been through introductions. My cat Patches was bonded with my bridge cat Tik. They were kittens together not the same litter but a couple of weeks between them. When Tik passed Patches became clingy he didn't want to be away from us. We waited a year before bringing the new kitten in I would of brought another cat in almost immediately but Tik was my hubby's heart kitty. I knew Patches missed company he didn't really play that much on his own. So we got Bandit after the usual keep away from me kitten by Patches it didn't take long weeks for Patches to release he had a friend again. The first 2 pics are Patches with Tik. The rest are Patches and Bandit as you can see It can work Patches has found his fun again. And Bandit loves his big brother.
20171112_132252.jpg
20171111_194448.jpg
IMG_20201003_224357.jpg
IMG_20201112_104354.jpg
IMG_20201112_104048.jpg

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are countless threads abd so many articles about introducing cats, and so many people here have so much experience with this.
Lillyenn Lillyenn how did today go? Are you feeling a little bit better?

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are countless threads abd so many articles about introducing cats, and so many people here have so much experience with this.
Lillyenn Lillyenn how did today go? Are you feeling a little bit better?
Not really. Every time I think I'm feeling better, it turns out I'm not. Last Christmas Kovu was sick, but he was here with me. Early mornings are especially hard, because Kovu always wanted to come inside my room, and I often woke up to his purring. My big cats aren't even like to come upstairs that much. If they would be cuddlier (like he was) maybe I would heal faster because of the constant company. Instead I'm alone and I was not able to fall asleep until 5 am. I still have essays that I should be working on, but I just can't.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are grieving, they know someone is missing and they are sad. It takes at least two weeks for a cat to begin to go on, I know it takes that long for a mama cat to stop looking for kittens that have been homed. A kitten would distract them from their sadness, as it would you, and that is always a good thing......

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cats are grieving, they know someone is missing and they are sad. It takes at least two weeks for a cat to begin to go on, I know it takes that long for a mama cat to stop looking for kittens that have been homed. A kitten would distract them from their sadness, as it would you, and that is always a good thing......
It's sad to see, because mom cat was pretty fine after we found homes for her other kittens. Like she was only calling for them for maybe one day. But that was because Kovu was still there for her. Like we wanted to keep one of her babies, so she would have her kitten with her. And now this is how that turned out. I feel guilty about it, because she brought them to me, because we were feeding her and caring for her, and she thought that the babies would be safe here, and they weren't. She's neutered now, so she will not have babies ever again, this was her first and only pregnancy. And I think that any kittens would love her because of her gentleness, but no one will ever love her as much as her little shadow did. I feel like I have failed her.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This kind of guilt is always present, somehow we always come up with something to make us feel worse. Your mama cat is eternally grateful for you, she might have lost all her kittens to starvation or predators if you hadn't stepped in. Neutering her was the best thing you could have done, endless kittens to care for and worry about are very hard on a cat, especially one as gentle and caring as you say she is. Keeping that one kitten with her was a blessing and she knows that. Kittens are almost always driven off by parents in the wild when they are a certain age, especially the males. There is only so much territory and food per cat. She weaned them and that is her first step towards separation from her motherly duties. When they are grown, mothers may treat them as friends, rather than babies, I have had many interbreedings in my area, they don't have principals as we do.
She is grieving because he is gone, but cats tend to live in the present and she will go into the future soon, missing him, but not really knowing what is going on. You can comfort each other now, hold her close......

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for the loss of your amazing Kovu.
Black cats always have something magic in them, the color of the night adds mistery to their cat's nature. It's so sad that many people don't see such a beauty in black cats, and even that many see them as a bad luck bearers.
Kovu left you in a very tragic way, I'm sure he thought of you when the dog attacked him.
This year has been very bad on its own, losing someone or a pet during this year to forget is even sadder.

Kovu will be one of the brightest stars in the Christmas sky, he will the one that blinks down at you.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey hon! I'm not sure if you still want pictures of black cats, but if you haven't seen it yet, there's a thread Black Cats Only that you can feel free to scroll through.
Please keep us updated on how you're feeling. Im keeping you in my prayers. :redheartpump:

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey hon! I'm not sure if you still want pictures of black cats, but if you haven't seen it yet, there's a thread Black Cats Only that you can feel free to scroll through.
Please keep us updated on how you're feeling. Im keeping you in my prayers. :redheartpump:
Thank you! I'm always interested in black cats it seems like. I'm still having trouble sleeping at night, but days aren't that bad anymore. Now I'm just waiting for a little bit of my motivation to return, because I still need to study a lot for Uni. I like looking at some cat pictures, but I feel extremely sad, when I look at pictures where Kovu was together with my other cats. The house still feels empty and incomplete. The little lantern/lamp in Kovu's grave have been burning until 7-8 am, that was also the time when he used to wake me up. The other cats seem to be doing okay, his mom became really cuddly this morning, I think that she stopped searching for him. Now she's lonely without a playmate.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also one of my neighbours cats is this really annoying boy, who comes over here to steal food, nap a little and then agitate my older boy Kumi, then he goes home. But he's really cheering me up right now, because he insist on being the most annoying cat in existence, much like a certain someone was, maybe that's why they were such good playmates and friends.

Attachments

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm always interested in black cats it seems like. I'm still having trouble sleeping at night, but days aren't that bad anymore. Now I'm just waiting for a little bit of my motivation to return, because I still need to study a lot for Uni. I like looking at some cat pictures, but I feel extremely sad, when I look at pictures where Kovu was together with my other cats. The house still feels empty and incomplete. The little lantern/lamp in Kovu's grave have been burning until 7-8 am, that was also the time when he used to wake me up. The other cats seem to be doing okay, his mom became really cuddly this morning, I think that she stopped searching for him. Now she's lonely without a playmate.
I'm glad to hear that you're doing at least a little bit better.
One thing that really helped me when my girl passed the bridge was getting a bracelet with her name on it. I wear it 24/7 and everytime I look at it, I remember her and it almost feels like a little part of her is with me everywhere I go.
Sorry to hear you're not sleeping well. Like di and bob di and bob said, it will probably take at least two weeks for your cats to fully recover.
Also one of my neighbours cats is this really annoying boy, who comes over here to steal food, nap a little and then agitate my older boy Kumi, then he goes home. But he's really cheering me up right now, because he insist on being the most annoying cat in existence, much like a certain someone was, maybe that's why they were such good playmates and friends.
Good to hear that, too. He looks like a sweetheart, so soft and sleepy!

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since that boy is roaming, you might warn your neighbor of a cat killing dog in the neighborhood, it might save a life. Don't ever think it can't happen again, it sure did around my area.
The problem with that, is that the old lady doesn't really care/can do anything about it. In my country many old people just "replaces" cats when one dissapeares. I don't understand why her son even bought her this kitty when she already has an older black one, and a tabby who happens to be the brother of my mom cat. So other than watching out for noises at night, and letting this boy in I can't really do anything for his safety unfortunately. The only thing we were able to do for him and the brother of my girl, is that we bought them to the vet and they neutered them, so at least they aren't trying to find female cats.

Last edited:

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cats felt more playful tonight, even if they weren't really active during the day. And I felt a little better too, but every time I think about how happy we would be right now, I just want to cry. Last Christmas he was sick. I spent the whole holiday looking after him, and I was so relieved when he recovered, only to loose him forever this time. I hate this holiday so much. Every single ****ing Christmas from now on I will have to worry about something going wrong.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The sun is finally shining today, this is the first day of good weather since Kovu's dissapearence. My cats seem to be fine, I'm feeling better too (but nights will be hard for a long time). The little lamp on his grave was burning without interruption for more than an entire day, which also made me feel good. Thanks everyone for sending me pictures and talking to me. It helped a lot. Maybe if I reach a really low point in the upcoming days/weeks, I will personally message someone. But for now here's the sight I woke up to today:

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep seeking all the little joys you can right now, like that sight on your bed.....Keep it in your thoughts that Kovu is at peace because he has your love. For him, he is past the pain, he sleeps in heavenly peace.
It's so very hard when you so broken to get through a time that is supposed to be joyous. You will forever associate this time of year with your loss, but as each year passes you will find ways to cope. It takes a long time to fill that hole in your life, but with the help of the other cats to ground you in the present, and the strength of Kovu's love, you will survive.......

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
[/QUOT:rbheart:
He knows you're hurting and need some fun. I think perhaps a certain
someone from the Bridge asked him to keep an eye on you..💖 :hugs: 💗