Kovu died

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I first started using this site, after a mom cat that we adopted from the street bought me her kittens. Kovu (who is also my profile pic here) was a really special kitten. He had so much life in him, always complaining and meowing for attention, chewing everything, playing with everything, stealing little things. He was such a personality, I called him my little goblin. When I wrote my first essay for an university subject, he was already there as a baby kitten, purring on my lap. He's been through some bad days as a small kitten, but I nursed him back to health every time. And finally, he has become a strong, beautiful cat. So naturally, because 2020 is the worst year ever, and because something bad always happens to us around Christmas time, he vanished yesterday. I searched for him everywhere, for a whole day. My mother asked one of our distant neighbours this morning, and it turns out, that their dog had killed him. I was devasteted. I don't understand why he went to that garden, he was smarter than that + he was barely allowed outside. They buried him in their garden, but gave him back to us, so we could properly bury him in ours. The house is extremely silent without him, my adult cats are not really talkative and they also not really playful without him, plus they sleep more than he ever did. I think they miss him too, since they aren't always happy with each other, but they all loved him. I love all of my cats equally, but he was special, because I raised him since he was just around 4-6 weeks old. I feel so bad, sad, lost, I can't handle this pain. I can't believe that he was still with me 2 days ago, and now he is lost forever. He was only 15 months old, such a short life. My mother had to go to relatives because of some important family stuff, so I'm all alone in this silence. If you could post pictures of cute black cats and kittens under this, I would really appreciate it, I need some cheering up.

Attachments

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry for your loss.
You are in my prayers. I don't have any black cats, but if I did, know that I would certainly share their pictures with you!!!
Please be comforted by the fact that you rescued him and he clearly was loved very much by you, and clearly loved you very much back.
God bless you 💕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so hard, because of Covid I spent almost all of my time home this year. And we had such a symbiotic relationship. I was not even able to wash the dishes today, because I remembered how he always used to bother me for pets while I was trying to do my chores around the house. It hurts so much.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grief is a weird beast. Condolences never consoled me. They only served to anchor me to a point in time that I'd like to forget. It was their lives, not their passing that meant everything to us. Thank you for sharing words and pictures about Kovu's life.

As requested, here are some black kitty photos. This was my first cat (long since passed!)

Her name was Cabernet. Her brother was Merlot.
CabbieMerlKitten-optimized.jpg

Sadly, Merl would be struck by a car that summer. 😿

Cabbie had other friends in that house though.
CabbieSage-optimized.jpg

And we would later take in an intact stray tom. Cabbie became a mom. The parents both went in for spay-neuter when it was healthy to do so.
MamaCabbie-optimized.jpg

And her kittens. The dad was a tabby.
Cotton-and-Kittens-optimized.jpg Cotton-and-Junior.jpg

Cabbie loved to sit in my desk chair when I wasn't sitting in it. If I couldn't find her, this was one of the spots I would check.
CabbieChair-optimized.jpg

Since Krista, my avatar kitty, passed this summer, I have been finding some comfort and solace in following cats (and groundhogs and otters) on Instagram. Don't tell the others. But this is my favorite black cat on Instagram right now.
Login • Instagram

Last edited:

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Grief is a weird beast. Condolences never consoled me. They only served to anchor me to a point in time that I'd like to forget. It was their lives, not their passing that meant everything to us. Thank you for sharing words and pictures about Kovu's life.

As requested, here are some black kitty photos. This was my first cat (long since passed!)

Her name was Cabernet. Her brother was Merlot.
View attachment 363241

Sadly, Merl would be struck by a car that summer. 😿

Cabbie had other friends in that house though.
View attachment 363247

And we would later take in an intact stray tom. Cabbie became a mom. The parents both went in for spay-neuter when it was healthy to do so.
View attachment 363244

And her kittens. The dad was a tabby.
View attachment 363249View attachment 363250

Cabbie loved to sit in my desk chair when I wasn't sitting in it. If I couldn't find her, this was one of the spots I would check.
View attachment 363246

Since Krista, my avatar kitty, passed this summer, I have been finding some comfort and solace in following cats (and groundhogs and otters) on Instagram. Don't tell the others. But this is my favorite black cat on Instagram right now.
Login • Instagram
Thank you for these pictures! I like looking at pictures of other black cats (I started following insta accounts too) because black kitties are so special. And all cats are completely unique individuals, but when I look at a playful black kitty, I see the same mischief in their eyes, that I saw in Kovu. I won't be able to finnish university without a cat to take care of (since my 3 adults are so independent). So eventually I want to adopt a little black kitten, because he made me love black cats so much, I just know I need a little bat in my life again someday. (My cats are chill with others thankfully.) But that's still far away, because first I need to let Kovu go completely, and that seems impossible right now. I'm lucky I have my 3 other cats. I would go insane right now without them. But only one of them was here before Kovu. Mom cat moved in with her kids and my other girl came when they were already here. So even they remind me of him. Just as everything else in this house. This cat had such a strong personality, that his essence are still bleeding through the walls. You could always hear where he was, he was never silent, not even in his sleep. And now the silence seems so deefening.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Kovu, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

This is the kind of loss that we never really "get over." But it is one that we get through, and very slowly the good memories overtake the grief...it is the very definition of "bittersweet." You will always miss him, but not with the same raw, tearing grief that you feel right now. As for Kovu, he is doing just fine. He is at the Bridge, and probably sitting in my dad's lap. But his love for you, translated and purified into Love, he sends back to you, where it will remain until you meet again. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

AH...black kitten photos...This is little Mordred, who was ALMOST my kitten! Just before he was to come to me, his mama's owner called to ask if I would terribly mind...it seems a little seven-year-old girl with some mobility issues had seen him and fallen utterly in love. Well...yeah, I terribly minded, but I lied and said, "Of course not!" I'm sure he has brightened her life, as she has his! LOL, excuse the ashtray! My friend, I am happy to say, no longer smokes!
Mordred 7-5-07 009.jpg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Such tragic passing.

hang in there. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

here is a cat I used to feed. Such beautiful black cat who used to enter my flat and sleep on my bed. After months of feeding him he suddenly vanished.

DF94F5DE-0230-4DF2-88D9-6685D6F8C5DF.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is really nothing that will bring comfort in a time when grief is so overwhelming, but just knowing there are others near and willing to listen, to share that grief because we have stood in your shoes, helps.
After years of pain and anguish from losing one little one after another to the streets and to dogs, (most were strays that uncaring people had dumped, and ferals) I finally was at the point that I could keep all of my little ones inside now. And lo and behold, three outside strays show up here out in the country! So I sigh and brace my heart for more heartaches down the road......
My heart aches for your pain. There is no going back and the present is full of pain and all those should haves, could haves. Because grief always brings those and an overwhelming sadness that will linger for a long time. Their leaving creates a huge hole in our lives, and it takes a long time to fill it. Try not to make his death more important than his life, that can never be, his life brought joy and happiness. I know that precious boy loved life so much he would never want the one he loves above all else to spend one minute on sadness. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, so he wants for you, to go forward into life, carrying his memory and allowing his spirit to live on through you now. I know this because love is spiritual, so eternal, and what you two shared was love.
Distract your sadness by opening your heart to more love. Allow the love those other little ones have for you to surround you and bring you comfort. Add to Kovu's love and allow it to grow, getting stronger. There can be many loves in a person's lifetime, each one special and unique. Like a mother's love for each and every child.
Because love is spiritual, Kovu's love will be eternally near, as near as your thoughts and prayers. The new path he follows will be forever paralleling your own, just as he shared your life's journey for his lifetime.
It hurts, it's not fair. It's all that and more. But don't let grief take over your life. Life is meant to be joyous, to be spent seeking it's wonders and discovering love. Losing someone is something everyone will experience, it is a part of life. Try to be grateful for the time you got to spend with that sweet boy, to have never met him at all would be a great loss. It would have spared you this pain, but at what cost to your soul? He is forever a part of your soul now, something that wonderful would never just disappear. His love will be with you, surround you for the rest of your life. One day your memories will bring you comfort instead of pain. Although that day seems far in the future, you will get there, somehow we all do. You are stronger than you think, and his love will be there to give you that strength. Just try to get through the next hour, the next day, living in the present because the past is set in stone and the future is not ours to see. Take that first step towards healing by not allowing grief to own you, day by day, one day at a time........RIP precious Kovu. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Kovu was one of those special kitties. :rbheart: Hope these help here's Bandit.View attachment 363311View attachment 363312View attachment 363313View attachment 363314
I'm so sorry for your loss. Kovu was one of those special kitties. :rbheart: Hope these help here's Bandit.View attachment 363311View attachment 363312View attachment 363313View attachment 363314
Aww such a little baby. Definitely much help. I like looking at other black kitties now, it makes me feel better.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today one of my friends came over, she was there by the time I woke up, because dawn time was very hard (I was not able to sleep in the dark, so I left my desk lamp on for the whole night). I'm a little bit better currently, at least my appetite returned. That's new after yesterday. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and photos so far. I love the blurry ones too, everything helps me right now.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How awful, I am so sorry. He was such a beautiful little man. I lost my best friend this summer Midnight was 23 years old and my dearest friend. Many of us are sadly familiar with the pain of losing a dear cat. My heart breaks for you and your family. Bless you for showing him love while he was with you

1333.jpg thumbnail_20200203_181935.jpg 20160727_061856-1.jpg 1.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Kovu. I lost one recently as well, and it's rough. Some days are good, some bad. I will be thinking of you both.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How awful, I am so sorry. He was such a beautiful little man. I lost my best friend this summer Midnight was 23 years old and my dearest friend. Many of us are sadly familiar with the pain of losing a dear cat. My heart breaks for you and your family. Bless you for showing him love while he was with you

View attachment 363350View attachment 363353View attachment 363351View attachment 363349
Woah Midnight is such a perfect name for a cat who looks this beautiful and unique. Sorry for your loss as well, and thank you for the pictures!