Kittens, Raw and Clostridium - safety?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hesitate to feel celebratory...but, it's now been two nights of fairly full sleeps for us!  We are so conditioned to run to the litter box to check/prevent stepping in sloppy poos, that we still did get up at 5.30am at the sound of the litter...and Ava had small hard poos!!!!  No vomiting us awake either today....

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right, well, I'm still...
 !

The week has had 2 great poo days, then a slow deterioration, and yesterday full diahorrea (with stench), before a surprise return to an excellent non-stinky perfect 2 poos today!  Still a few vomits happening.  The reduction in frequency is marked. I can't believe how much less work it is, and how a 'normalish' pooing cat means litter cleaning is a CINCH!  (Yes, litter-box avoiders, it's EASY!) Oh the relief!

So, this is the best response we've had so far.  Went back to vet today and both Ava and Kato had repeat doses.  The vet is not 100% sure what it is...but we are treating for coccidia (finally got the name!)...and this would mean that it did not come from our environment, or our feeding! 
(um, well, probably too early to do the full banana dance!)   Kato is really good, and his flu is getting heaps better - he even asked for plays today, the first time in just over 1 month.

So fingers etc crossed for an even better week ahead...we could do with some improved appetite from little Ava in particular.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, thank you LDG!

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, the next update...Kato is well!

Ava is almost well?  She had a 4 vomit 2 soft-clumpy-poo day after 1 week of good health, which is 2 days longer than dose 1 of the current coccidia treatment.  So we went to the vet again today (another surprise good poo day!), and had a 3rd coccidia treatment.  My vet suspects that something might still be going on that we haven't figured yet - the lab testings show absolutely no nasties whatsoever in her poo!  She is a mystery.  But I'm hoping the 3rd dose does it....otherwise I will be collecting diahorrea samples for another PCR test done in the USA.

The really good news?  In this last week, Ava put on 100g!!  I have even started to see some of the famous crazy Korat energy...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY for Kato! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I sure hope this third treatment will do it! It does sound like things are improving - at least she's feeling better, gaining weight... and you're cleaning up less mess and getting more sleep, I hope? :cross:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh Yes, hallelujah to the GREATLY reduced work load!

Kato was actually super grumpy and angry yesterday (even boxing Ava) - we discovered he is not having enough alone time with Daddy.  So he must be feeling better in terms of his energy.  And some good alone time playing with Daddy has made him much much happier and sweeter!

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I think the hunch of my[font=arial, sans-serif]  vet might just be true...Ava is not as well as she was after this 3rd dose; there might be something more than coccidia (arghhhh).  Poos are a bit of a mixture, but no really good ones this week.  I'll wait a bit...and start collecting diahorrea when and if that starts up consistently again.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]And a couple of vents cause this is the place to let it out!  [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]1.  Ava is NOT that nice voracious raw eater that she was before this happened.  She is now the PICKIEST eater, who bin dives after canned food and drags them out into her lairs to lick clean (while nice fresh raw is served on her plate).  She will eat raw rabbit, 2 types of canned food, and now...get this after rejecting cooked chicken done especially for her...cooked chicken from OUR meals!! (I have taken to cooking a whole chook and feeding us all for a couple days each week).  And she'll eat cheese.  And that is it.  Oh I mourn for the ease of the demolisher of liver, hearts and kidney!  We are trying to chop these things finely and hide them in their canned.  And this week I blended the liver and kidney (yes, with a hand held blender - GROSS) and froze portions so it would be smaller and easier.  Shudder, it was so gross, and stringy bits of something got wrapped around the rotating blade and it took me half and hour with a knife to try and clean the damn thing.  The worst thing is, because we are still so 'please, eat, it's yummy, eat, eat anything...we don't want you to die', Ava knows that if she refuses, and purrs/meows non-stop, we'll get the whatever it is that she is hankering after (usually some sort of canned food, but you have to pick the right one!).[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]2.  I'm a bit scared...she's sneezing.  PLEASE no cat colds/flus!! She is not vaccinated!![/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]The good news...Kato is becoming more and more like the Kato I remember before all this started![/font]

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hun.... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

When we were transitioning, Spooky was one of our best raw eaters. She got uncomfortably constipated from too much bone, and stopped eating.

I finally stopped driving myself nuts, and fed her canned food.

I slowly reintroduced raw.

Spooky, as it turns out, has a very narrow window of calcium that is the difference between constipated and comfortable.

She'll get picky about eating before she shows any signs I can see that she's constipated, but with time, I've figured out that's what's brewing if I don't do something about it.

I am becoming more and more convinced that most - not all - but many, if not most, "picky" eaters are picky because they don't feel 100%.

The caveat is that cats are master manipulators, LOL.

But when it comes to raw, my kitties that loved it, love it again when they feel fine. And they're picky when something's off.

In all of them but Spooky, I'll offer toppers to get them to eat. For Spooky, when she boycotts raw, I no longer fight it. I feed her canned. Sometimes it's just a few meals; sometimes it's a few days; sometimes it's a few weeks. :dk: But once she eats that raw meal when she feels better, she eats without being picky.

So my advice is just take that step back. :hugs: It's been a tough, stressful, worrisome time without the diet issues. :heart2: Feed her canned while you work with the vet to get her system / illness(es) sorted out. :heart2:

I think you all need the break; all of you will be happier without her begging... and when this is behind you, you can reintroduce raw.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks LDG, that makes me feel much better.  And I actually did notice that Kato is also off a bit of raw stuff that he normally likes...hoping slowly he'll come back too - I thought he was picking up bad ideas from Ava!  She certainly copies him; will not be interested in food, but if he starts munching, she'll stick her face in it and have a go too!  Unfortunately, he is too nice and lets her have the food.  Needless to say, we get food into them, if at all possible!

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey, thanks LDG!!

Better, I think!  It's the start of the third week now since Ava's last treatment - she didn't fare too well in week 1, and as said, I was holding off for Monday to go the sample route.  Monday (week 2) came....and there was a perfect poo!  Which has continued until now, with just the last two days being a bit suspect.  And by that, I mean the frequency of poo has risen (to about 1 per 12hrs - while it was good it was 1 per 1.5days, amazing!), and the poos are just a bit squidgy.  I'm holding out that I'm being too involved and things will get better again very soon.  Also, she became a KORAT KITTEN!!  Playing all over the place, super naughty and inquisitive 
.  She also ate voraciously for two days (like about 300g in a day!) That has dropped off the last two days, but she is eating well.

Kato continues to be well (I think)...just this morning he had a grass vomit, and when we came back at midday, breakfast was vomited down the stairs (pretty sure it was him, as still a bit of grass in there, and naughty Ava, is refusing morning canned mixed with puree-ed liver/kidney.  But she did eat a bit of dried liver I got today to investigate that route).  Touch wood, no more colds.  But it is super cold over here - I had to get up and put long sleeves on in the middle of the night, despite the winter doona, and three fleecy blankets - cats were curled up on Dave!

Soooo, so far, ok....

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a small update...Kato has come down with the flu again.  Ava is following a pattern of 2 days bad poo each week (and some vomiting).  Back to the vet we go...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, this is crazy! And yes, SO frustrating! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I forget - is Kato on lysine? I know it helps with herpes, but I wonder if it would help stop these flu flare-ups? :dk:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We see the vet tomorrow, but she mentioned lysine in an email to me, so I think this will be the go this time.  Just seems like he can't kick the virus - plus he is insanely in love with his outdoor walks, and the cold probably isn't helping.  But try not taking him and all hell erupts (verbally, pacing tiger, and grabbing your legs while pleading with long yowls and morose eyes!) Lol.

Anyway, I'm thankful for the better workload as they aren't as sick as before.  But am anxious to get to good health...time is ticking away and Ava is now 6months old!  Unvaccinated and not able yet to be spayed...she SCREAMS to go outside with Kato on his walks (not a mating thing tho, just a miserable little girl who is feeling left out).  But the lack of vaccinations mean she either has to come in my jacket, or stay at home.  It will be nice when she can come out on her harness and lead too.  She's growing, and remains my little snuggly purrer