Kitten,poop, Diarrhea, Blood, Outside Of Litter Tray! Help!

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
MOD NOTE: There may be a lack of continuity in responses as we needed to merge the posts of two other threads into this one.

Hi all,
So for a while now my 6 month old kitten had begun having diarrhoea with bright red blood mixed into it - this first occurred when I changed her food from a cheaper wet food to a higher quality one (Smilla wet from Zooplus) which she didn't like/didn't do her good.
Long story short...

She is now on 'James Wellbeloved kitten dry' food and Felix kitten - will be giving her only 1/4 of a pouch a day to get water content in her (please don't judge!) and has been doing well (brown, formed poop with no blood) but since yesterday or just before she has (again) began pooping diarrhoea maybe once a day with red blood mixed into it.

She seems to be her usual self otherwise - healthy, having fun, eating, drinking, sleeping, pooping & peeing...

She does do 'normal' poop but since 2-3 days she has been pooping light brown (diarrhoea) with blood in it...
at first, I thought it was parasites so took her to vet straight away and she is at a good weight, good health-wise and by the time I took her to the vets her poop with blood had stopped because she was on James dry... I did mention it and explained how she was okay now...

Now, she has been pooping normally but AGAIN at least once/twice a day there is poop with blood in it - again she seems to be normal.

I took her to the vet for her checkup and got her usual Worming tablets and flea medicine.
I administered her flea medicine.
I was told to split the tablets and give half every 3 months:
- I split it and mixed the first 3 months dosage into her wet food - she didn't eat it at all so had do dispose

- I mashed the tablet and administered it a day later (today) with water in a syringe which she puked out a minute later :-(
Vet said to bring her in tomorrow and vet will give her again properly...

I explained about her bloody poop and was told by the nurses that its because I am feeding her wet with dry (dietary problem due to Felix pouches)... this does seem to be the case: every time she has wet she does dihorrea with poop... not with dry...

ALSO, since today Morning she has been pooping OUTSIDE of the litter tray:
she pooped:

- just outside of litter tray (might be my fault as her litter tray was full - forgot to clean night before :-( )
- on the stairs 3 times
- on the bed
- in my bedroom

...don't know where else too :-(

NEED ADVICE ASAP!!!!
Is the vet right? Could it be dietary problems that are causing blood & dihorrea?
How do i stop her popping everywhere except litter tray?

I have a vet appointment tomorrow (14th April) so will be explaining ALL of this / everything he DOES NOT know yet as i have been phoning them and updating them

Thank - You in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outside of her litter tray is probably her way of telling you something is wrong. Blood in her poop is extremely worrisome; get a plastic bag you can seal closed (Ziploc or something similar) and get a sample of her bloody poop to take along to the vet. Yes, the wrong food can cause diarrhea, but I wouldn't expect it to put blood in her poop; this really needs to be looked at and diagnosed properly.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Outside of her litter tray is probably her way of telling you something is wrong. Blood in her poop is extremely worrisome; get a plastic bag you can seal closed (Ziploc or something similar) and get a sample of her bloody poop to take along to the vet. Yes, the wrong food can cause diarrhea, but I wouldn't expect it to put blood in her poop; this really needs to be looked at and diagnosed properly.

Margret
Thank you
That's what I thought
I don't have a Ziplock bag but will put it into a nappy bag and take to vet along with images etc
Thanks

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever works for a bag, the important thing is that the vet have an actual sample to look at and do lab tests on rather than just pictures and your description. It doesn't matter how much the vet believes your account of what is going on; he can't make a proper diagnosis without something physical to analyze.

Margret

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Whatever works for a bag, the important thing is that the vet have an actual sample to look at and do lab tests on rather than just pictures and your description. It doesn't matter how much the vet believes your account of what is going on; he can't make a proper diagnosis without something physical to analyze.

Margret
I know and I understand that
Thank you

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I would only worm and give flea meds when there is evidence of those pests, or worm every 6 months if the cat eats rodents. Check for fleas by looking at the tummy and where the back legs attach to the body on the abdomen, the hair is thinner there and they can be readily seen. No fleas, no treatments which can be very hard on kittens. Yes dietary changes can cause bloody stools. I have one cat that vomits every time he eats Temptation Treats. Then another that gets bloody stools if he eats these too. So needless to say I don't give them anymore. My cat's eat pouch food all the time for the liquid for years, and all are fine. Definitely change the diet to another brand and see if it improves.
Make sure you give her plenty of water to drink, leave several plastic cups around to entice her. Dehydration is a real danger with diarrhea.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
First, I would only worm and give flea meds when there is evidence of those pests, or worm every 6 months if the cat eats rodents. Check for fleas by looking at the tummy and where the back legs attach to the body on the abdomen, the hair is thinner there and they can be readily seen. No fleas, no treatments which can be very hard on kittens. Yes dietary changes can cause bloody stools. I have one cat that vomits every time he eats Temptation Treats. Then another that gets bloody stools if he eats these too. So needless to say I don't give them anymore. My cat's eat pouch food all the time for the liquid for years, and all are fine. Definitely change the diet to another brand and see if it improves.
Make sure you give her plenty of water to drink, leave several plastic cups around to entice her. Dehydration is a real danger with diarrhea.
Thank you
She is now going to be on ONLY James dry which she is fine on in regards to poop
It' the pouches I think...
Thanks

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Look into florastor for temp diahrrea solution until vet

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions
Her appointment is tomorrow so I will talk about all her symptoms with the vet

How much does a fecal sample cost?

I really don't know what's wrong with her!
I'm getting ever so worried & stressed!

She managed to lock herself into a little corner in the bathroom and pooped there and was covered in poop ... I clipped her claws and gave her a quick rinse

She's never been like this!

She's eating less and fewer times and her poop is still dihorrea with blood!
I hope everything is okay!

She is still drinking water

I guess I'm just getting over worried after my other cat passed a while ago ... there symptoms are totally different though...

Snowy seems fine but is just pooping everywhere and the poop is dihorrea with blood.... I don't know what's going on!

I can't spend money on tests because I've already spent so much....
I don't know what's wrong!!! :-(
I'm always looking for her here and there 24/7 to make sure she's not locked herself somewhere or pooped in the bedroom or on the stairs again....

She has ever done this before...
She is peeing and pooping in the litter box but she also poops in other places
She has dihorrea with blood when I first changed food and it went when I put her on James but now it's come back
She's not having any wet food upon the vets opinion and seems normal....

She is always sleeping though

Symptoms:
- pooped outside of litter box multiple times a day- dihorrea with blood
- pooping Inside litter box sometimes - dihorrea with blood
- always tired
- not eating as much....

I don't know what's wrong!!!!
Need advice !!!
Have any of you experienced this?
What should I do ? Can't take her to vet until her appointment tomorrow and don't really want to because she just gets really stressed out...

Thanks

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for what I'm about to show you but I need to because I'm at my wits end filled with worry....

Below are images of her previous bouts of bloody poop / dihorrea
One of them is her 'accident' on the carpet from yesterday bearing in mind it was not the first not last accident that day
The second is what her poop looked like when I first changed her food approx 2 months ago and is a similar interpretation of what her poop looks like now... it does have less blood than the image below though now.

Thanks

20180415_190834.png 20180415_190854.png

Sorry & Thank You!

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww I just want to reach through the screen and give you a hug, things like this are so hard.

I’m afraid I don’t have any advice to give aside from that I know dewormer can give cats diaherra. My first response is to say take her to the vets, the blood sounds a bit worrisome, but you are already doing that.

For what it’s worth I also give my cat dry and wet food. I free feed her dry food, and give her as much wet food, (friskys I believe from Costco, and lams. I have to balance quality with cost, so I’m doing what I can) mixed with water in the morning as she will eat for 20 mins. One thing as far as water goes that you can try is to get her a fountain. A lot of cats prefer to drink from moving water.

I’m hoping other people will have better advice, I just wanted to show some support and let you know people are reading this and caring.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through all this. What tests did the vet run? What did they say about the bloody stools?

Personally, I have never heard of a particular brand of food causing blood in the stool, but I am not a medical professional. The vet does not seem particulary concerned, and this bothers me. Is it possible to make an appointment with another vet for tomorrow? If not, keep the appointment you have, though.

You are doing all you can - keeping an eye out, taking her to the vet. I know how stressful this is and we are here for you, okay? :redheartpump:

I am glad she is at least peeing and pooping, even though there is blood. I am not surprised she it tired, may be a little dehydrated from the diahhrea. Vet can give her sub-Q fluids if she thinks she is getting dehydrated, so don't worry about that...

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through all this. What tests did the vet run? What did they say about the bloody stools?

Personally, I have never heard of a particular brand of food causing blood in the stool, but I am not a medical professional. The vet does not seem particulary concerned, and this bothers me. Is it possible to make an appointment with another vet for tomorrow? If not, keep the appointment you have, though.

You are doing all you can - keeping an eye out, taking her to the vet. I know how stressful this is and we are here for you, okay? :redheartpump:
Thank You!
I haven't spoken to the vet, just the nurses at the reception desk
No tests have been done yet

Thanks

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many times a day is she pooping? It sounds like it could be more than normal. As the vets have checked her and all seems Ok, it could be a dietary intolerance. Does she strain when she is pooping? There are foods out there for kitties with delicate stomachs, I have one of mine on this and he has far less accidents than before...I would ask the vets if there's any that could help.

It's never nice with things like this and I really hope you find an answer!

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww I just want to reach through the screen and give you a hug, things like this are so hard.

I’m afraid I don’t have any advice to give aside from that I know dewormer can give cats diaherra. My first response is to say take her to the vets, the blood sounds a bit worrisome, but you are already doing that.

For what it’s worth I also give my cat dry and wet food. I free feed her dry food, and give her as much wet food, (friskys I believe from Costco, and lams. I have to balance quality with cost, so I’m doing what I can) mixed with water in the morning as she will eat for 20 mins. One thing as far as water goes that you can try is to get her a fountain. A lot of cats prefer to drink from moving water.

I’m hoping other people will have better advice, I just wanted to show some support and let you know people are reading this and caring.
She has not been de wormed
That will be done tomorrow
I will look into the water fountain

Thank you so much :-)

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
When you went back to all dry food did she still poop blood? No, pooping blood would not be behavioral, that's more a medical issue.
Oh okay
Thank you
When I first moved her over to James dry her dihorrea and bloody poop stopped straight away
Her poop was firm and shaped and normal colour
Now I think because I started feeding her Felix wet kitten it went bad again ....
I don't know for sure...
:-(