Kitten Health Concerns

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:
How are the kids health? What did the old vet have to say when you told them you were researching other vets?
Any updates?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Sorry for the lack of updates, things have been crazy. I haven’t had a chance to contact the vet in between dealing with ill family members who’ve needed extra help. This weekend I’m going to try to give them a call, since I’ll have some time to myself.
The kittens are doing a bit better on the loose stools front. They seem to be having more solid movements, which I am glad for. Percy has not been wheezing or breathing heavily at all, either, and the sores on his mouth are gone. However, the congestion and runny eyes and noses are still a concern. I’d like to get that figured out and treated as soon as I can.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Sorry for the lack of updates, things have been crazy. I haven’t had a chance to contact the vet in between dealing with ill family members who’ve needed extra help. This weekend I’m going to try to give them a call, since I’ll have some time to myself.
The kittens are doing a bit better on the loose stools front. They seem to be having more solid movements, which I am glad for. Percy has not been wheezing or breathing heavily at all, either, and the sores on his mouth are gone. However, the congestion and runny eyes and noses are still a concern. I’d like to get that figured out and treated as soon as I can.
:frown: Sorry to hear you have been having a rough time, hope your family members are feeling better. There is alot of sickness going around this winter. Glad the kids are a bit better, are you going to try a new vet? Let us know how everything turns out. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :wave2:

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m going to call the old vet and let them know what’s going on and that I’m concerned that they’re still sick despite treatment, and then most likely try a different vet. We’ll see how it goes.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the flea population? Topical flea medication only acts to 'poison' your cat's blood, so that any adult flea who happens to bite the skin to take a drink dies. It doesn't kill fleas who don't bite your cat's skin, nor does it kill eggs, pupae, or larvae. Therefore, you need to keep on top of vacuuming and hot washing bedding for at least a month after you last saw an actual flea.

The flea life-cycle from egg through pupae to larvae to adult flea takes up to 4 weeks. And what with 95% of fleas and eggs living outwith your cats in carpets, bedding, cracks in the floor, walls, hiding under pebbles etc, expecting topical flea medication alone to get rid of them is a wee bit hopeful, to say the least. Do you have any household flea spray to spray your home, getting into all the nooks and crannies?

The flea medication you were given only kills adult fleas and nothing else. And seeing as fleas and worms are integral, I recommend your asking for a different topical flea medication (prescription, this time) that also kills worms, including roundworm. And that you also ask for a separate (prescription) medicine that kills all the other worms, including tapeworm.

I think that once you've unfriended your home and cats from all unwelcome visitors that you will see them regain full health.

:hellocat:

Last edited:

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After not seeing any fleas for a while, I saw one this morning. I don’t know much about fleas having never dealt with them before, so thank you for your post! The information is really helpful and I’ll work on ridding the house completely of the fleas.
Unfortunately I cannot use any sort of insecticide or flea spray in my house, as I have other pets that are sensitive to that kind of chemical. I’d have to move their terrarium out of the house for weeks, and I don’t think I’d able to do that.
That said, I can certainly vacuum and wash more often. I’ll talk to a vet about getting some better medication. I haven’t applied the second dose of Cherisitn yet. I can also work on giving the kittens another bath with blue dawn soap, as their incisions have healed from their surgery.
I have been washing their beds and their blanket regularly, so I can certainly do that more often, but I wondered about furniture and their cat tree? How should those be cleaned?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
If the nozzle bit on your vacuum won't stretch, then use a stiff brush to brush all the debris onto the floor, then vacuum it up. Flea eggs are a pain but at least they don't bounce. I use a 50:50 apple cider vinegar to water mixture as household flea spray. It doesn't kill the fleas but it deters them and they hop off somewhere else. It's safe for other animals, though I'd check it against your terrarium friends just in case.

:jump: