Kitten Health Concerns

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two kittens came home from their foster mom’s about a week ago. She said she dewormed them and treated them for fleas. Unfortunately, they have fleas. She said to bathe them in blue dawn soap and flea comb them? I’ve used a flea comb, but I’m not so sure about the soap. How do you guys treat for fleas?
I’ve also noticed they have been getting goopy stuff near their eyes, which I’ve been cleaning daily with a warm washcloth. Every so often, they sneeze, and I heard one of them cough, but it’s not too often. It seems to me like they have a cold, and I’m wondering if I should take them to the vet?
Lastly, they had some loose and very smelly stools recently that concerned me. They’re on the same food that she gave them, so I don’t know what it could have been. I’m worried they might be ill with something and I’m trying to determine if I should take them to the vet. The rest of the family seems to think they are fine and I’m worrying too much, so I’m not so sure.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blue Dawn is safe for bathing kittens in. Just be cautious and don't get it in their ears or eyes. Rinse well. Keep them warm after as well. You can also put some blue Dawn in a cup of water. dip the comb in and then comb the kitties.

Loose stools can be a result of the parasites. I would get them to the vet for deworming.

ScottW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well consider both kittens to be contagious to any of the symptoms and conditions. If there is a cough it is highly possible that is a respiratory infection, it also will have a mucous / discharge in the eyes. Once treated it will start to clear up in a few days, as usual see a vet, and for flea treatment get revolution, anything else isn’t as safe or as effective. I uploaded a pic of our kitten that had the respiratory infection and cough ( worst I ever heard for a cat btw).

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ll take them to the vet as soon as possible. Should I bring a stool sample in case it is parasites?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A fresh stool sample would be beneficial or swing by the vet and ask for a stool sample container before.

It does sound like a URI which is fairly common with kittens coming from shelters or rescues. Good news is that a quick treatment will prevent it from getting worse and they should have a speedy recovery. Good luck.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I’ll get them in to the vet and see what they recommend.
The poor kittens, they just got done being treated for ringworm. :(

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the vet and managed to get two back to back appointments on Friday afternoon. I did hours of research on the best vet near me. I finally settled on a small practice with excellent reviews where a friend of mine helps out, and I’m hopeful they’ll be able to help my babies get healthy again.
They are still acting like their regular selves for the most part. I’ve been wiping their eyes and noses daily to try and keep the discharge under control, but it always comes back. I’ve been flea combing them as well until the vet can prescribe some Revolution. I’d use the Blue Dawn, but I haven’t worked on baths yet and I don’t want to stress them out even more.
They are still having diarrhea. I’m worried about keeping them hydrated... They have been drinking from their bowl, and the more adventurous of the two drinks out of the sink every time I turn it on. They also have wet food twice a day, but I wonder if I should be doing anything else?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly advise you to get them veterinary prescribed tapeworm medication, which will come as a tablet. Unlike roundworm, which kittens are born with and which are treated when they're wee babies, tapeworm are an integral part of the flea life cycle, with many fleas carrying tapeworm. Then cats eat the fleas and contract a worm. The worming medicine their foster mum gave them was in all likelihood just for roundworm. You could also get some veterinary prescribed flea spot-on, to help reduce the flea population, and it also kills roundworm too.

Tapeworm can cause eye problems, runny noses, and tummy trouble, as well as general lethargy and out-of-sortedness. I've just dealt with my kitten having one. He was ever so sickly for a long time before I convinced a vet to give him tapeworm medicine. He's as right as rain now.

Keep us posted, please. :goodluck:

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brian007 Brian007 Thank you! I’ll make sure to ask the vet about it.
I’m glad your kitten is feeling better. :rbheart:

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet.
We submitted a fecal sample and will have results tomorrow. The vet said it’s likely tapeworm.
They were given antibiotics for a mild upper respiratory infection, so I’m glad they are being treated.
As for the fleas, the vet tried to give me Cheristin, but I was nervous about it having read some bad things about it. I told him I’d like to do some research first. He told me “be careful, you really can’t trust the internet, what people tell you, etc.” I told him their foster mom had used Revolution, but he said it’s not safe, has tons of side effects, and is not very effective. He said Cheristin is safe, and “people online saying it killed their pets aren’t right, it was something else that killed their pets.”
He also told me I should only give them Science Diet, Purina Pro, or Royal Canin. He said that “petstores, your friends and neighbors, and the internet are a cesspool of misinformation. Especially because you have male cats, you need to give them one of these special diets so they don’t get kidney issues. You need to trust that I know more than the people on the internet.”
I’m not quite sure what to think. He said when they’re better they should be switched over from Wellness canned and Whole Earth kibble to the brands he recommended.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, keep us informed with the improvements made after tapeworm tablet. Then, we can deal with food, fleas, and the other stuff. I'm relieved that your vet cottoned on to the possibility of tapeworm. They're pesky beasties that cause seemingly unconnected serious problems. I'm also ever so happy to have been able to offer focused advise that has/will help.

:jive:

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tests came back negative. No parasites.
Needless to say, I’m a bit confused.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two kittens ... Lastly, they had some loose and very smelly stools recently that concerned me. They’re on the same food that she gave them, so I don’t know what it could have been. I’m worried they might be ill with something and I’m trying to determine if I should take them to the vet. ...
If they are currently on the same foods, would those be:
... Wellness canned and Whole Earth kibble ...
I think there are a few things to think about in regards to fecal samples, worms, parasites and bacteria... sometimes just one shot at a fecal sample will not catch everything that could be lurking inside of your kitten or cat. It could be that several poo samples, over a (short or longer) span of time, are needed in order to find the culprit that might be causing the diarrhea.

However, kittens especially are sensitive to certain things in food, or in changes to food/diet, so bad poo could also just be a result of the brand and/or type of food they are ingesting, e.g. if they are having intolerances to some ingredients. If the kittens aren't sick from internal parasites or an illness, it might be some of the canned ingredients, the dry ingredients, or the brands of food you are currently feeding. So, after you've tried to rule out worms, parasites, bacterial issues or illness, you might try to slowly introduce another canned food, for example, to see if things improve. It needs to be done gradually, as changes in diet can cause "bad poo", whether diarrhea or constipation, and the whole thing needs to be a process of elimination in finding the culprit.

(Uh, by the way, ---and I cannot help but say this in response to the statement by your vet who is recommending that, in regards to cat foods for cats and kittens, the "only" best choice is to give one of these brands: "He also told me I should only give them Science Diet, Purina Pro, or Royal Canin."---... the person may be a good vet, I don't know, but that kind of statement would ring an alarm bell for me and I myself would prefer a vet who hadn't said such a thing to me. Also, yes, the internet, people, etc., can be a depository for sources of information both accurate and false, but I resent the implication made by that vet that places like TheCatSite are "cesspools" of information. It's up to the reader or recipient of the information to be the discerning and deciding factor -- you have that responsibility when it comes to your cat.)

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They’ve been on their antibiotic for their upper respiratory infection, and have been doing better. Their eyes and noses are much clearer.
The diarrhea has been lessening, too, and I was hopeful they were better from whatever it was.
Then I came in today and found a little spot of bloody, mucus filled diarrhea on the tile. I’m very concerned. I don’t know what’s going on with them and I’m scared they’re sick despite the vet saying there were no parasites.
I’m going to attach a photo, so if you don’t want to see it, please stop reading now...
AF8C64BB-6329-4DCD-8E74-18467826B4AA.jpeg
Does anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you collected up this sample to take to the vet with you? It could be giardia, which is caused by a parasite. Apparently, it's diagnosed by examining mucous in diarrhoea under a microscope and locating infectious giardia cysts. The tests can produce false negatives, so if the first sample you submitted didn't have cysts in the mucous, it doesn't mean they don't have giardia. Symptoms can be sudden and intermittent.

Try not to worry too much. That their other symptoms have improved is a good sign. Hopefully this will be diagnosed and treated today/tomorrow.

:vibes::heartshape:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bringing in poo samples such as this is best, but if you've already gotten rid of that poo in the photo, make sure the vet sees that photo -- via email or viewed on your phone or camera when you go in person.