Kitten Health Concerns

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tapeworm rarely shows up in fecal samples. They're elusive little parasites. Have you seen what looks like rice bits near their butts? If so, that's tapeworm segments. Let the vet know about that.

I would feel a little uncomfortable with a vet who's that adamant that he's always right. I get a vet's frustration that someone will listen to some whackadoodle instead of a medical professional, but vets should also be open to new information and different ways of doing things, willing to discuss pros and cons instead of just shutting down the discussion. You might start asking around to see if there's another vet you want to try.

Bloody mucus can be colitis, caused by just about anything :/. So that's not necessarily a sign of parasites, but since parasites are so common in young kittens they probably have something going on. I hope you can get the poor little kitties all fixed up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies.
I have the photo to show him, but I cleaned up the poo and disposed of it. I don’t think I’ve seen any tapeworm segments.
I’m going to call the vet today and talk to him.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
If memory serves me correct there are several fecal tests the common one and one that really digs into the poo so to speak for things less common.
Regardless of the results most vets treat kittens for worms during their regular checkups with strongid.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens had strongid from their foster mom before they came home. The vet knows this and I figured he’d give them some sort of dewormer, but he didn’t.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Strongid doesn't treat tapeworm but roundworm and some other wormy parasites. Tapeworm are treated with a separate medicine. Cats can still have tapeworm without finding any segments. I visited the vet(s) 5 times before basically insisting on tapeworm tablets. :frustrated:

Mucous and blood in loose poos are symptoms of both tapeworm and giardia, along with other non-parasite causes. However, seeing as more than one kitten is effected, parasites seem logical, to me at least.

It might be an idea to ask for these specific parasite medicines regardless of unreliable test results. Then, after they've been treated, if they still have symptoms, you'll know for sure that it's something else, which can then be investigated unhindered. :read:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens had strongid from their foster mom before they came home. The vet knows this and I figured he’d give them some sort of dewormer, but he didn’t.
mine got it at every visit and at no charge. it's that cheap.
Being wormed is worthless if they are living in an environment that exposes them like other cats and dogs that haven't been wormed or checked in a while.
Your kits need a through fecal exam and perhaps a professional grooming at the vet to thoroughly rid them of fleas and any possible ear mites.
Lots of the stuff on the internet ends up being true as owners pile up their complaints about post approval side effects. You have to learn to sort through the complaints.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are off to the vet again. I finally managed to get an appointment, as they were mostly booked up!
We go on Saturday. I’m going to let them take the fecal so it’ll be fresh, but I have the photo of the blood and mucous in the stool to show them. Other concerns include a wound/sore on Percy’s face, as well as fleas. As nervous as I am, I’ve decided to allow the vet to give them Cheristin. He said it’s safe, and despite being a bit apprehensive initially, I think it will be alright.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet gave them more antibiotics for their diarrhea, Cheristin for their fleas, and dewormer just in case. Hopefully their upset tummies clear up now.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They seem to be doing better? There is more solid stool, which is good, but they’re still scratching even after a bath with Dawn and a round of cheristin. I’m just going to keep giving them their medication and watch them closely.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you got a flea/nit comb? They shouldn't mind too much, in fact, they'll probably enjoy combing to relieve the itchy bits. :yess:

When Parker, my then 4 month old fluffy kitten, was riddled with fleas, I combed him daily until there were no fleas, eggs, or droppings on him. He was treated with a trusted vet prescribed spot-on, I sprayed the flat with the top flea spray on the market, hoovered, and hot washed all the blankets. But, the spot-ons only kill a flea if it actually bites and doesn't kill the eggs; and although spraying kills eggs, fleas, and larvae, the wee blighters sneak into cracks in the floor and skirting boards, and burrow deep into carpets to hide. Plus, hoovering needs doing religiously and I'm not a religious type. :hide:

Anyway, combing only took about 5 days to rid them on his coat, and is a strange guilty pleasure, popping eggs and squishing fleas between a baby wipe, whilst satisfyingly dunking the debris in soapy water (this may only be me, however). It was only juicy young Parker who was a nest of fleas and Dudley didn't seem too effected. But, they've been getting monthly spot-ons ever since (I think they've just had their 5th month), and I'll continue monthly for another three rounds, as about once a month I notice a very puny, limping flea, so there's still the odd egg in the flat that has managed to resist the spray and hatches out a feeble weakling. They're both inside cats and have always been (fleas etc came with Parker from his breeder as a surprise gift!), so hopefully one day soon we'll be free again. :bliss:
Perseverance is key. :smash: And patience is a must. :popcorn:

Glad that all seems calmish on the western front. :crossfingers:

And, Merry Christmas to you all! :santa:

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After a round of antibiotics and a course of dewormer, the kittens are still having diarrhea. I’m still concerned, especially after I picked Jasper up and he got bloody diarrhea onto my shirt.
I’m thinking I need to take them back to the vet, but I’m eondering if maybe it’s something with their diet?

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:doh: Sorry, I’m a little scattered and forgot to include that! I need a nap.
They are on the same food their foster mom gave them. I didn’t want to change it and stress them out, so I kept it the same. They get Wellness wet food (chicken, turkey, and chicken & beef) twice a day, and are free fed Whole Earth kibble Kitten Food.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
What medications has the vet had them on specifically? I think that you need to ask for Panacur. Also I think because of all of the antibiotics that they should probably start getting a priobiotic like fortiflora as well to help their gut bacteria...

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The get had them on two antibiotics. The first was to help with a respiratory issue, and the second was to “reset their get bacteria” according to the vet. They’ve also been given a deworming tablet, but I’m not sure what kind it was.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever reason your vet told you, no antibiotic is going to "reset gut bacteria", quite the opposite! 'Biotic' means 'life' and 'anti-biotic' means 'anti-life' or 'opposed to life'. Antibiotics are indiscriminate in what life they kill and so all bacteria, including the goodies, are obliterated too. It is therefore wise to supplement the body with probiotics ('pro' meaning 'in favour of' (biotic / life)) whenever antibiotics are used.

:seesaw:

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you be able to post the names of all of the medicine that they have had? That will help us have a better understanding of what is going on and to know how to help them. I do think that you should request panacur from the vet because it doesn't sound like they have tried that yet and it is very gentle on their systems.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a little concerned that your vet doesn't seem very responsive. You might want to also consider getting a second opinion. Should you decide on this, make good notes on what has been said and done up until now, jot down a few of our questions (giardia, etc) to take with you. NO reputable vet would be angry about you seeking a second opinion, any more than a reputable human doctor would.

These articles may help you find the right vet to take this further, should it be necessary.

How To Choose The Best Veterinarian For My Cat?
Cat Vet Checkup - What To Expect
How To Talk To Your Vet

StefanZ StefanZ , these little guys have been sick for WEEKS now. I know how busy you are, but you know so much about young kittens. Do you have anything that you can add, here?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most have been said. I suspect the "antibiotic" to reset the gut bacterias was wrongly heard probiotic. Anyway continue with probiotic. BeneBac made by PetAg is good. They have also a never version. But I dont remember the brand Otherways a plain full fat mild yoghurt works esp with added acidophilus and bifidus bacteria... Im not sure fortiflora is enough.

Raw goats milk is of course good too.