Kitten Health Concerns

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just looked at the invoices to see what they were given.
The first visit, they were given an antibiotic for a respiratory issue. It was Doxycycline in a vitamin solution they make themselves. I was told the diarrhea would go away. Since then, their eyes and noses cleared up significantly, but as of late they’ve become goopy with the same black goop there was before.
The next visit, we saw a different vet from the first. She gave them the dewormer “Praziquantel 18.2 mg, Pyrantel 72.6 mg” and then what I think she said was an antibiotic, “Metronidazole Compound 100ml”.
They are still having diarrhea, though a bit less frequently. There are some solid stools in the box. The diarrhea that Jasper accidentally got on me had blood in it, which the vet told me “means their gastrointestinal lining is very irritated, it isn’t life threatening”. Percy has developed some raw spots/sores on his lip that I don’t think are from teething. Jasper has excdptionslly runny eyes and nose, Percy isn’t as bad, but I have to clean Jasper every day if not twice a day. I’m not certain, but Percy sometimes sounds like he’s wheezing very faintly. He has had two coughing fits that the rest of my family attributes to hairballs, but I’ve yet to see him bring a hairball up, so I’m a bit concerned.
The clinic has sent me a reminder that the kittens need some vaccinations, so I’m considering taking them in for a checkup as well. I’m inclined to believe it’s a health issue, as they’ve been eating this food since before I had them, but if all else fails I can try switching their food up.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They really shouldn't be vaccinated while they're sick---the illness keeps them from developing a proper immune response to the vaccine.

Sores on the lips are generally caused by calicivirus. Being a virus, antibiotics won't help, all you can do is provide supportive care until their immune systems can get strong enough to fight it off. But in their weakened state, a bacterial infection could sneak in. Be careful---sometimes the sores are in the mouth which makes it painful to eat. I've had to force-feed cats for a few days when that's happened.

Doxy and metro are not broad-spectrum antibiotics; they're mainly for gastrointestinal issues like giardia. If you think they have a bacterial infection, a round of broad-spectrum antibiotics like azithromycin should help. And then a good probiotic to get their gut bacteria back on track (I've always used probiotics sold for humans, but Amazon has a fine selection of cat-specific probiotics if you prefer).

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think that the medication given was sufficient for the symptoms they presented with at the time. The doxy should have treated any bacterial infection susceptible to it. It could be that they are now presenting with symptoms of different causes, and should be treated thus. They should also be treated as separate patients, presenting with distinct symptoms, as it sounds as though each has slightly different complaints.

I'd probably try them with a food specifically for sensitive tummies/digestive support for a while to see if that stops the diarrhoea. And to give them probiotics too. Just because the food they're on did not cause the initial diarrhoea does not mean that it's not causing it now. And, it is a simple way to check whether they have sensitive tummies from intestinal irritation exacerbated by their food and/or bacterial imbalance, or something else that would need treating medically.

Mouth ulcers can have many causes. Don't panic just yet.

Wheezing, unproductive coughs are a definite symptom of hairballs. That no hairball has been sicked up simply points to it still being in the tummy, where it could be stuck. Giving hairball paste or something as simple as a dollop of vaseline smeared onto their mouths and paws to lick off should help ease any hairballs out from either end (they can be pooed out as well as sicked up).

The runny nose and eyes needs to be vet checked and possibly treated, depending on what's causing it. As do the mouth ulcers. But as you're going anyway for their vaccinations they can be dealt with then. It's possibly calici or herpes but it's also just as likely to something less scary sounding. Both conditions can be lived with in any case. And, if it's just a matter of a persistent runny eye/nose causing virus or bacteria then that can be treated also. It could also be irritation from an airborne cause or allergen, or ironically from whatever you're using to wipe it away with. It may even be a food allergen. I'd change their food first off, if it were me...

:hangin:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They really shouldn't be vaccinated while they're sick---the illness keeps them from developing a proper immune response to the vaccine.
While this is very true, take them in for another check anyway! SOMETHING is going on with these kittens!

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ll call the clinic and get an appointment. I’m going to list my concerns, is there anything else I should list?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is the same clinic that they have been going to? If so, they should have what has been done in front of them, if it is a new place, see if you can pick up a copy of their records so the vet has that information.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not certain. I’m considering trying another clinic, but I’m not certain. This clinic is the most affordable for me, but the recurring issues combined have me concerned that perhaps these vets aren’t very sure of what’s going on.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well...let's think of it this way...15 trips at $10 a trip is more expensive than 1 trip at $100. Of course, those are nowhere near real numbers, just making an illustration.

I'm concerned, as well. They don't seem to have a really firm grip, and they don't seem very responsive to your questions, either.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In that case I will definitely try another vet.
Oh, I had one last concern... their issues don’t sound like FIV or FLV, do they? They haven’t been screened for those conditions yet. Their foster mom said she would, but then told me she hadn’t when I came to pick them up.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your new vet to ask your current vet to email them through all records at the time you first phone to make your appointment/register with them. That way they'll have everything up on their screen when you go to the appointment.

I'm sure I mentioned it ages ago that I took Parker to five different vets in three separate practices before he was given the correct treatment.

:einstein::einstein::einstein::einstein::einstein: :thud:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll call the clinic and get an appointment. I’m going to list my concerns, is there anything else I should list?
Try a different vet. We go to a clinic who has 6 vets on staff. We went thru 3 of them before we got to our keeper, Dr. Kate. I was ready to go to a different place. She never makes you feel rushed, encourages questions and explains everything, making sure you understand and has read your file thoroughly before walking thru the door. Also, if she is in the office when you call she will actually call you back! A real live doc on the phone! She always complements Gypsy on being such a nice and sweet little kitty. Even one of the ones we didn't click with wouldn't give her vaccinations the first ever time we went cause she was running a temperature. Your precious darlings deserve a vet who will take good care of them and your peace of mind.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...let's think of it this way...15 trips at $10 a trip is more expensive than 1 trip at $100. Of course, those are nowhere near real numbers, just making an illustration.

I'm concerned, as well. They don't seem to have a really firm grip, and they don't seem very responsive to your questions, either.
:yeah:

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m going to call the current clinic and explain to them what’s going on, and that I’m concerned that despite two visits the kittens are still ill. I’ve been looking into other vets in my area.
I was incredibly frustrated to find a flea running around on Percy’s chin this morning. The vet prescribed Cheristin, which I applied correctly. It’s supposed to last a month, and it hasn’t been a month yet, so I’m confused as to why the fleas are very much alive.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, phew. I didn’t know that. Should I try reapplying a dose, or wait until it’s been a month?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure, but I tracked down their Technical Assistance or Report Side Effects phone number for you...they should be able to tell you when it is safe to reapply under the circumstances.

888-545-5973