Kitten Has Slightly Gooky Eyes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Beautiful cat! Thank you for all that you are doing for these kitties! :lovecat2:

So glad you got terramycin. Baby's eyes will clear quickly now.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does get a bit frustrating that I'm the only one on this property that is looking after the cats well being, but since I got here things have gotten so much better for them, they're off the cheap food, and onto high quality food, get the vet care they so desperately needed. They are just so much happier and healthier that I believe I have every right to my pride in being a cat mommy. Plus changing the minds of the others on the spay neuter issue, and getting them proper grooming and flea control. Oh what would be a good flea product to use on Crystal? She has an allergy to them and keeps getting dry skin patches and sore raw patches due to flea bites. Being that she is pregnant and has her health issues I have been a bit leery of giving her baths and putting things on her but it's getting bad, her poor 'armpits' are so red and raw that something needs to be done about it and if I don't then nothing will change. Pictures to follow just as soon as I get Crystal over here. I'd get her myself but getting up is a really bad idea right now. Crystal is currently eating some wet food but here's also a picture of my sweet Silverhearts face.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can't get a picture of Crystal's problem areas because she is having one of her seizures. /sigh/ If it's not one thing it's another.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's okay. What flea products have you used that she is allergic to?

Do you have fleas in the house that need treating also?

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't used anything on her as of yet, and my partner won't bathe her in anything to help. I've been treating the house sparingly with some cat safe products. My brain isn't cooperating enough to tell me what. But what we have is some dawn, and also some all natural flea shampoo but that isn't safe to use on pregnant or nursing cats. Borax powder that's what I've been using in the house itself, but I need something to use on Crystal herself because the flea bites are making her miserable. I may have to try to lie down for a while because this migraine is just trying to murder me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can safely use Advantage II for cats on her. It sounds like she really needs it.

It also sounds like she would benefit from a warm Dawn bath.

You need a can of Enforcer house flea spray to combat the fleas, eggs, and larvae in the home.

Flea anemia can kill tiny kittens. Scratching flea bites can lead to flea bite dermatitis and skin infection in adult cats.

The cats probably have tape worms from fleas too. They'll need praziquantel to kill the tape worms.

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We do have the dewormer I checked. When I am feeling better I will give her the dawn bath, buying the Advantage is going to have to wait until tomorrow but I will make it happen. Come heck or high water these cats will have the best care possible even if I have to do it all myself. Daily flea combing has also been helping so I will continue to do that. Also if the best care possible involves giving a cat or two or even most of them up to a better home so be it. This is not about us humans personal feelings at this point, not for me. It is about the cats being happy and healthy and well cared for.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job of improving their lives day by day!

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I've been working really hard at it and it's been tough at times but the cats are so much happier that it's incredible to see. My boy Obsidian came to make sure I would be okay and about rubbed my feet off with his precious little face. Crystal has recovered from her latest seizure but for tonight I'm just going to let her rest so she doesn't get stressed out and offer her one more can of wet food after I take a nap.

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crystal is still pretty out of it, so I think my safest bet is to get her the Advantage and the cleaning products and run with that. I fear that bathing her would set off another seizure. But Cream Latte is mad, Silverheart is happily stuffing her face as is Crystal currently and I still feel a little off and headachey so just a bit more rest is in order but had to get the basics done with the kitties before allowing myself to pass back out.

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're getting stuck shut less which is the whole goal of treating her. I also found that making her into a burrito with a washcloth helps keep her calmer instead of so much yelling, instead I get a bit of yelling when I apply the ointment then she stares at me and gives me these little mews and purrs so everything is going good with little Cream Latte.

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a pictoral update of the little ones including a candid I managed to snag of them and Silverheart. Edit: I swear Master Summer was offended I got a picture of his face because that's when he started yelling his little head off.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I......please maim my partner? They won't let me give the mama cats wet food more than once or twice a day. I'm the one paying for it. I KNOW they need more than just free feeding the dry food. I just......I hate having to sneak feed the mamas when everyone else is asleep and can't yell at me for getting Silverheart 'addicted' to wet food when 'she shouldn't be relying on it and the dry food is enough' I'm about ready to tear my hair out by the roots from sheer frustration.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just announce that you will be feeding the cats as you see fit, and at your expense as well.

Ignore their comments and let it be known that the subject is not up for discussion.

Wet food is actually BETTER for cats than dry food. Cats who suffer frequent URI's are usually put on wet food only diets.

Pregnant and nursing cats especially need wet food in addition to dry food.

Wet food makes cat's coats very healthy.

Cats' diets in the wild are nothing but fresh, raw meat - no dry food.

Please stand your ground with these folks who appear to be using the cats as a battle ground to challenge you.

Feed the cats in the way you think is best without hiding the fact you are doing so. They need to learn to accept this.

They should be thanking you for caring for these cats!

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I am standing my ground. I'm the one paying for it so it's my say as to how often and how much the cats get fed. I also stopped allowing them to get Friskies just because it's cheap. Cheap is almost never a good thing, if it's higher quality it should cost more, plus I've been researching brands before I buy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good for you!

You said they wouldn't "let" you feed wet food more than once or twice a day. It sounded like they were calling the shots, and you were having to sneak feed.

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had a quite long rant at them and the result is Silverheart sitting next to me happily eating. Sometime they just need their heads knocked together. Yes I know they had very little money for far too long but I'm here now and things can change even if I have to drag them kicking and screaming into the changes. There was yelling, but.........I can't keep backing down to them. Sometimes just making them listen for even ten minutes can make all the difference as long as I can batter through the walls built up by not having enough for so long.

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Their argument was that's how it's been done here for years, but mine was that there is a better more healthy way for the cats that I can make happen and that pride shouldn't stand in the way of using the help that is freely given for the sake of the animals.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear! I hope everyone is enjoying better food now, including the people in the home. :)