Is this normal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can try to put some on a spoon and see if she takes it that way. If she does, then slowly lower it to the plate. I have one that will take it from the spoon but as soon as I lower it, she walks away. So it doesn't always work. But it did for the other 2.

BTW, you're a Harry Potter fan, I can tell.
Haha yes I am :-)

I have tried the spoon thing.... doesn't work. She is starting to seem like she does not like the bottle. So she won't eat wet food and is starting to turn down the formula. What should I do?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kittens still need the nutrients in the bottle. However, they are getting to where they don't want it. I gently open their mouths and put the nipple in. They of course, start to chew on it. I have found that if I hold them close or pull the nipple out just a micro, they decide to start suckling. Sometimes I have to do it for 5 minutes, but they usually give up and take the formula. I hate to push them when they absolutely refuse, but, I guess this is tough love. Without being too tough.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah that is what I am doing now! But since she is old enough, I would rather get her weaned...

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not worried. She won't let herself starve.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got her to eat it! Since she was just immediately refusing it, I put wet food on her paw continuously so that she can get a chance to realize it tasted it good. Then after a while she walked around and sniffed looking and found the plate. She wouldn't eat of the plate, my spoon or hand so i put it on the blanket and she went back and forth between the blanket and plate!

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
okay.. Sorry guys. one more question, if she wet food last night on her own do you think she'll figure it out and eat it again or do i need to watch and make sure she eats and then bottlefeed. Cause i just fed them and she didn't want to eat...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't wean her totally. She needs the formula until she's 5-6 weeks. I have been feeding the solid, then bottle feeding. I also only feed the solids 3xs a day and bottle feed the others so the stomach can used to solid. But that's just me.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's six weeks old.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry. My son took care of this morning's feeding to let me get some sleep. I had just woke up and hadn't had but a sip of coffee. For some reason I was thinking 4 weeks.
I have had 2 kittens before I had adopted that were only 6-7 weeks old and I had to bottle feed them until they started eating solids. Right now, with these three, I have one that will only eat the canned and one that will only eat dry food soaked in formula. Maybe yours just doesn't like the food your offering. But I would still supplement with formula even if she does start eating.

Last edited:

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can get her to eat the wet food now... I have figured it out. She's stubborn.... and she doesn't like the bottle anymore. She'll get the hang of it! I'm not worried, I just ask questions because I like to stay informed. I just want to learn.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things are going great! They are a little over 6 weeks old.. They are starting to eat and drink water on their own. They go back to the shelter in a few weeks