Is this normal?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a try a different type of litter? or if there is room, 2 litter pans, one to play in and one to potty in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Hedwig has pooped in the litter box!! The others should catch on soon!!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
They usually don't start eating and using the litter box until 5 weeks! Just be patient!

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I just need to give them time and they will eventually catch on to wet food, but they will not lap formula at 5 weeks old. Do you think they will need to learn how before eating wet food? My past foster kittens never had trouble weaning.... and none of them like lapping formula either.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try mixing plain chicken baby food in with it... it is very smelly... my foster kittens usually lap it up then!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, baby food is a good idea. Also, some kittens just need until 6 weeks or so to catch on to weaning. Be patient!

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay! I'll give them a little longer! I know they'll catch on. They are all using the litter box! I swear, pooping is their fun.. They love doing it!

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I talked to my foster coor. and we decided to just try wet food (without formula or water) and it worked! Well for two of them.... The black one which also happens to be the runt is not having it. I will just keep trying with her and hopefully she it start liking it cause they are biting through the bottle nipples. Is there anything I can do to try to get her to eat it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try smearing some food on her mouth so she'll have to taste it. Otherwise she'll learn from watching her siblings soon enough.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've put a little in their mouths and on their face. I hope she will learn soon, but none of them will even eat off of a plate yet only my hand

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's because, as I've already said, they are not 100% ready. When they are ready, they will eat readily. Why the rush?

Last edited:

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i agree. I'm just saying what's happening. I would like the black one to start eating because she's just tearing about the nipples. so i would kind of like her to eat. Everyone else they can learn as slowly as possible.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and i obviously know they are not ready. All i said is i hope she gets ready soon.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try to put some on a spoon and see if she takes it that way. If she does, then slowly lower it to the plate. I have one that will take it from the spoon but as soon as I lower it, she walks away. So it doesn't always work. But it did for the other 2.

BTW, you're a Harry Potter fan, I can tell.