Alpha Cat
Purraise
Should I feed him more often?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
6 grams isn't cause to worry? I am making sure he eats more. He will eat for a long time but won't eat very much.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My scale may have been off because I weighed him and he is 10 grams more than he was last night

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have tared it. I am using a different scale now.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When can I put them in a bigger cage? I usually wait until 4 weeks old to move them into a bigger kennel with their litter box, but i have 3 3.5 week old kittens and they seem so little individually, but they are getting to the point where they start to walk around. Should I wait until 4 weeks old to move them? I just don't want it to get to crowded in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So long as they can't get any body parts hung up on anything, the change shouldn't hurt a thing.   They will, if it is safe, only benefit from the extra space to explore.  Just, as I said, make sure they can't get a head or paw or such stuck in a crevice or between mesh!

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so the kittens are now four weeks old and they are eating more at each feeding so they are no longer hungry every 4 hours so I am starting to feed them every 6 hours and I am going to start introducing gruel. how many times a day should I do during four weeks?

I know next week they should only be eating gruel and starting on dry food. but how many bottles and how much gruel should they get this week?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
another thing, I have tried continuously to get to lap the formula and they won't, so should I just skip that stage?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many kittens do not wean until 5 weeks. They still need to eat every 4 hours, so offer gruel first, then a bottle after until they are able to lap milk on their own.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know they still need the bottle.. But they won't eat every 4 hours. They are not hungry.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright cool. Thanks

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so they are not a fan of gruel, but will not eat every 4 hours. I am trying to do 6 and will see how it goes but am not sure. But since they aren't eating gruel, 4 feedings a day just seems so little for them. Is that okay ? or what should I do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they getting the minimum amount of milk for their weights each day? That's what's important.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have stopped calculating. I will start weighing and calculating food again. How many ml of food per gram?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's 8 mLs per ounce of body weight, so convert your grams to ounces, then multiply by 8. Then divide by 4 feedings. That's how much they need at each feeding over 24 hours. But they can always have more.

Try them on mush again in a week. They'll be ready soon.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They don't like gruel and they don't like the litter box. 4.5 weeks old.... They have always been really stubborn. Any suggestions?

The litter box is in their cage. They will go and lay in it or scratch. One of the kittens has peed in there. I even put some of their own poop in there. Didn't work. It's too much pee to stimulate them.