Introducing cats??

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
We have 2 dogs and 2 cats already and we want to eventually bring in one of the strays we care for. I am a little worried about 1 of our cats and the new cats introductions. We have been bringing in the new cat a few hours a day into the bathroom and letting her back out at night. I have read to let them see each other and smell each other from under the door and to let them eat on opposite sides of the door to create positive associations. However my cat gets pretty riled up and makes the ugliest sounds along with hissing, growling, and sometimes tries to attack the door. The new cat is very sweet and has purred most of the time except I have found that when I am in the bathroom with her sometimes she starts to get feisty as well and starts hissing at my cat but only when I am with her in the bathroom. I have also been letting them lay on the blankets and swapping them out under their food bowls.
Does anyone have any advice about introducing them?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First step is usually positive association with scent.

Since you are letting the cat out every night, it always comes back smelling differently.

Your cat thinks you bring in a new cat every day and release it. That's very stressful.

I'd recommend reading the posts above,making a plan and keeping her in full time for introductions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had to restart introductions with our new cat and one resident cat because of a bad 1st introduction. Right now we are feeding on both sides of the door and there is no growling but we are also site swapping after feedings. When site swapping should I just let my resident cat growl and hiss? And continue with the swap?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you scent swap first?

Yes, you can. It's not harming him, but it's also not ideal. Leave some treats out or see if you can get him to play.

Here's a thread that may have some tips too: Non recognition aggression

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The resident cat might growl if they are made to stay in a confined room and they don't like it. If that were the case, spending time with/providing attention to this cat when they are in the room that 'belongs' to the new cat, might help.

Sometimes, it is a matter of advancing through the introduction steps only as fast as the slowest adapting cat. If by chance you haven't read these TCS articles, maybe they can be of some help to you. The first one can apply even if the resident cat isn't a lot older, but one who just needs more time to adapt.
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone I’m back in here with another post once again. We are still in the process of feeding on opposite sides of the door and site swapping. They seem to be doing pretty well with the feedings. They are right up to the door and I have even cracked it a tiny bit so that they can kind of see each other while eating. My resident cat did seem to get a bit spooked once she made a sound and ran away. But other than that they will look at each other for a second and then go back to eating. While site swapping we move the resident cat to the new cats room and she is no longer growling and hissing and now plays. She still sniffs a lot and is still a bit reluctant to lay on the new cats blanket but she is doing a lot better in the now compared to when she first went in the room. The new cat roams parts of the house and she is also good except when she hears resident cat scratch at the door (when I’m around) she runs up to the door gets in a low position and starts growling, and hissing. We have also tried to feed them with the resident cat in the new cats room and the new cat on the side of the main house area but still close to the door and the new cat did the same thing. Also It seems that the new cat only does this when I am around. A different time when I was not around my boyfriend was watching the new cat around the house. The resident cat started scratching at the door and the new cat ran over but just laid down but did not hiss or growl. She was also like this when she was outside. When I was out there with her and other cats would come around she would start growling and would try to chase them away. When I would go back inside I would look through the window when the cats would come back she would be completely fine with them around. Does anyone know why she could be acting like this or give any tips as to how to fix this? I do not know what to do next in the introduction process.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also forgot to add that after trying to feed the new cat on the side of the door with the house and the resident cat in the new cats room we separated and put the new cat back into her room and the resident cat back into the house area and fed them on the side that we’ve been doing. At first the new cat was still growling and she even bit my foot (not hard enough to leave a mark but not a love bite either). She calmed down and started eating (the door was completely shut during this feeding since they were already heated.)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't mention any timeframe. I can teII you that you cannot go any faster than the most reIuctant cats wants to go. That shouId be your guideIine, aIways. Time and patience are the biggest friends you have here. The new cat seems to have accepted you as HER person, her safe pIace, and needs to sIowIy be reassured that the other cat wiII not take her pIace. She's skittish, and unsure right now. And in a pIace that is not-quite-yet HOME, aIthough YOU are home. Give this more time, and Iet's revisit it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's important to remember new cat is getting used to everything.
New cat has been moved from everything they need (maybe twice if they had some time in shelter) and is getting used to a new space.

I do scent swaps rather than site swaps personally, so I don't know if site swaps don't work for some cats. They may need to stay firmly in their base.

For myself, I also never used their main meals as my most senior cat would not eat wet food if another cat was near and he could hear it eating. Including the cat he spent over a decade of his life with.

I would put NC in their base. I would have a different type of dry food as treats. After scent swaps, the first while I would just do gated things with NC in NC base. Using treats and play to distract. Then I would give NC access to hallway and base. Afterwards, that hallway acts as a site swap. Then, when NC is comfortable with hallway and base, they get bedroom, hallway and base. Again, the extra areas act as a site swap. It also keeps NC exploring, without overwhelming them with new space. Could be worth a try to see if that helps your NC be a bit more secure.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. For those that do not know took in a stray cat and are trying to do introductions for the second time now. We have two resident cats and two dogs already. The new cat is fine with the dogs however the cats are a different story. One of our cats likes to keep to hersel (Kitty) . She does not like many people and wishes to not really be messed with at all so it’s difficult to even get the new cat and her on opposite sides of the door. The other res. cat is Minnie. The first time we introduced them face to face it went wrong because we rushed it. The new cat chased her. This time around we were at the stage of introducing through baby gates with Minnie. Kitty has not been introduced much which leads to the problem. We have two baby gates stacked on top of each other and a sheet fastened at the top where the remaining space is. The new cat ended up escaping this and roamed into the house where the Kitty and Minnie are. This caused a fight between the new cat and the Kitty. I feel so bad. I am just starting to get discouraged and feeling like this is not going to work out. I do not know anyone who wants a cat and I have gotten attached to her and do not want to put her back outside.😭😭😭😭😭

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, if Kitty doesn't want to be included in the intros, can you give her space where she can be separate?

Anyway, the situation still feels disjointed to me. Try working with just the new cat and Minnie, as you are, but see if Kitty can be left out of things :)

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give an update. Things still aren’t good between the cats. It honestly seems like nothing has gotten better at all. We started putting a harness on the new cat(tigger) and letting her around the other cats. She still growls, hisses and tries to chase them while on the harness. Just a second ago Minnie came up to her and within a split second they were fighting. Minnie some of her hair pulled out and she’s just scared. I’m still not sure what to do. We have done the Jackson galaxy method and literally nothing has gotten better.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give an update. Things still aren’t good between the cats. It honestly seems like nothing has gotten better at all. We started putting a harness on the new cat(tigger) and letting her around the other cats. She still growls, hisses and tries to chase them while on the harness. Just a second ago Minnie came up to her and within a split second they were fighting. Minnie some of her hair pulled out and she’s just scared. I’m still not sure what to do. We have done the Jackson galaxy method and literally nothing has gotten better.
It's been just over a month since you started re-introducing them. You need to slow it down. By a lot.

Every time you're rushing it forward and they are having these bad reactions with hair pulling, you're making it longer for yourself when you start over as now you're having to get rid of the negative associations instead of just building positive ones.

This isn't going to happen for you if you want it on a human timeline. It needs to be on the cats' timelines, specifically the one becoming comfortable again the slowest.

A. She's going to be more aggresive on a harness because she feels trapped. Ditch any harness or crate method that makes a cat feel trapped as all it does is just stress them the heck out.

B. Stop trying to move to the next step when you haven't successfully gotten them calm and distracted for the previous step. Aka if there's still growling at the gate you shouldn't be trying to push on to out-togehter step.

i know it's frustrating and stressful. It took us months to introduce Magnus to Nobel. Over 6 months in we still couldn't leave them alone when we left the house.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C Charity355 I'm so sorry things are still not going well between the cats, but I really admire your dedication to them. :)

When the cats are able to see one another, what do you feel your physical and emotional reaction is? Do you find yourself tensing up, leaning forward, holding your breath, etc.?

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason we moved to the harness is because when doing the gates they weren’t really hissing or growling. Occasionally there would be a hiss or growl but not constant. We figured moving to the next step would be okay because Kitty still growls and occasionally hisses at Minnie but everything is okay. They also seemed uninterested at times and would leave. I know understand that the harness is stressful for them and makes things worse. We were just nervous letting them around each other without anything to pull them back from fighting. Do you recommend that we start the entire introduction process over and feed on opposite sides of the door or go back to the gates. Thank you for your reply.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
C Charity355 I'm so sorry things are still not going well between the cats, but I really admire your dedication to them. :)

When the cats are able to see one another, what do you feel your physical and emotional reaction is? Do you find yourself tensing up, leaning forward, holding your breath, etc.?
Thank you for your kind words. I honestly think we all do a little bit of everything you listed at times especially when there is nothing between them to stop them from fighting. I know that we shouldn’t because the cats can sense that and makes them also feel that way.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. I honestly think we all do a little bit of everything you listed at times especially when there is nothing between them to stop them from fighting. I know that we shouldn’t because the cats can sense that and makes them also feel that way.
It's easier said than done to not do those things, considering the history :)
Maybe you could practice steady, even breathing and relaxing (jaw and shoulders especially) when there is a barrier, and work up to the next level little by little. Do some contented "sighs". Keep your expression and eyes soft. Have you looked into the slow blink as a calming signal?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I haven't been involved in this thread at all but think I understand. A few questions:
What kind of dogs?
Are the dogs indoor or outdoor?
Are the dogs at all involved in the cat drama?
When the cats interact in a way that is upsetting, what do you do?
Do you yell at the cat, any cat, or at anything in general? (This is not to be judgmental. I am just trying to understand everything so I can hopefully help you with some advice that you haven't already been given)
Are you still allowing new cat outside?
How big a place do you have? How much of that area do the cats and dogs have access to?
What are the sleeping arrangements for the pets?
Do all the other animals in the house get along well? Are there any problems at all?
What are the ages and sex of all animals you have? Do any of them have any health issues?
Has new cat had a veterinary visit yet?
How many litter boxes? Does everyone use them? Do the dogs raid them?
Any children in the house?

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of dogs?
— German shepherd and chug
Are the dogs indoor or outdoor?
— Indoor
Are the dogs at all involved in the cat drama?
— Not at all.
When the cats interact in a way that is upsetting, what do you do?
— It gets pretty hectic on our part as well. We do yell out of being scared one will get hurt. (I know that this makes things worse. It’s just hard not too.) I also try to separate them.
Are you still allowing new cat outside?
— No she does not go outside anymore.
How big a place do you have? How much of that area do the cats and dogs have access to?
— We have a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house. It’s a good size. They have access to all parts of the house.
What are the sleeping arrangements for the pets?
--They sleep where ever they want too. The new cat stays in one of bedrooms with her litter box food and water.
Do all the other animals in the house get along well? —They all get along. Kitty tolerates Minnie. She just likes being left alone but there are never any fights
What are the ages and sex of all animals you have?
--German Shepherd is 6, Chug is 9, Kitty is 9, Minnie is 1 year. Tigger (new cat) estimated around 2 years. They are all female.
Do any of them have any health issues?
— Not really. The only thing is that our German Shepherd has allergies.
Has new cat had a veterinary visit yet?
— Yes she got tested for Felv and Fiv, had her shots, and was spayed.
How many litter boxes? Does everyone use them?
— 2 litter boxes. One for Kitty and Minnie and one for tigger. We were going to add another.
Do the dogs raid them?
— They did but we switched to a different litter box that they can no longer get into.
Any children in the house?
— No children live there but they do come over often.