Introducing cats??

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay, thank you for answering all the questions.
Since you have the one bedroom that New Cat has been staying in, continue to keep New Cat in there for now with no attempts at interacting with the other animals. Don’t try any introductions, don’t let them see each other. For now, act as though New Cat will be in that room forever. Make sure that the room contains whatever New Cat needs, food, water, litter pan, scratching post, cat tree, window to look out. If there is a window that you open, make sure the screen is reinforced before opening the window. I used Chicken wire to reinforce mine. But, you can use hardware cloth if you want. A cat can and will easily push out a screen or rip it with a nail. For now, the room is New Cat’s and nobody (other animals) should be able to enter.
If you feel bad for New Cat being isolated, try to push those feelings aside. If New Cat goes outside, sooner or later New Cat will not return one day and you will feel horrible. New Cat will be bored. That is good right now. We want New Cat bored. We want New Cat thinking everything is always the same and will not change. Of course, you should interact with New Cat, have routine play sessions and spend some time with her.
Consider this a decompression time for New Cat. A time for New Cat to adjust to her new boring consistent safe indoor life.
The amount of time New Cat spends in the room alone will all depend on New Cat, and your current cats and dogs. The goal here is to make New Cat feel safe, secure, and bored. No harness walks, no visual on any other animals.
When New Cat has adjusted (probably about 1 to 4 months), then a very slow introduction of New Cat to the rest of the household can start, beginning with scent swapping. But for now, New Cat needs her safe haven of a room to herself for a while. Also, your established resident cats and dogs need to relax and get back to their normal routines, without worrying about an intruder.
Introducing cats when they are adults is hard. It is a slow process that even when done correctly, still takes a long time. I introduced an outdoor 2-year-old neutered large male cat with an outgoing personality into my house with a senior spayed female older cat who was feral and is very timid. It took time, but it can be done.
It takes a long time when everything is going well. When there are negative incidents, it adds a lot of time to the introduction because you must go back to the beginning. When you have multiple bad experiences for the cats, then eventually you need do a total reset.
With dedication and patience you can do this, The out come you are wanting is a peaceful co-existence.
Thank you for taking this cat in.
c

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, thank you for answering all the questions.
Since you have the one bedroom that New Cat has been staying in, continue to keep New Cat in there for now with no attempts at interacting with the other animals. Don’t try any introductions, don’t let them see each other. For now, act as though New Cat will be in that room forever. Make sure that the room contains whatever New Cat needs, food, water, litter pan, scratching post, cat tree, window to look out. If there is a window that you open, make sure the screen is reinforced before opening the window. I used Chicken wire to reinforce mine. But, you can use hardware cloth if you want. A cat can and will easily push out a screen or rip it with a nail. For now, the room is New Cat’s and nobody (other animals) should be able to enter.
If you feel bad for New Cat being isolated, try to push those feelings aside. If New Cat goes outside, sooner or later New Cat will not return one day and you will feel horrible. New Cat will be bored. That is good right now. We want New Cat bored. We want New Cat thinking everything is always the same and will not change. Of course, you should interact with New Cat, have routine play sessions and spend some time with her.
Consider this a decompression time for New Cat. A time for New Cat to adjust to her new boring consistent safe indoor life.
The amount of time New Cat spends in the room alone will all depend on New Cat, and your current cats and dogs. The goal here is to make New Cat feel safe, secure, and bored. No harness walks, no visual on any other animals.
When New Cat has adjusted (probably about 1 to 4 months), then a very slow introduction of New Cat to the rest of the household can start, beginning with scent swapping. But for now, New Cat needs her safe haven of a room to herself for a while. Also, your established resident cats and dogs need to relax and get back to their normal routines, without worrying about an intruder.
Introducing cats when they are adults is hard. It is a slow process that even when done correctly, still takes a long time. I introduced an outdoor 2-year-old neutered large male cat with an outgoing personality into my house with a senior spayed female older cat who was feral and is very timid. It took time, but it can be done.
It takes a long time when everything is going well. When there are negative incidents, it adds a lot of time to the introduction because you must go back to the beginning. When you have multiple bad experiences for the cats, then eventually you need do a total reset.
With dedication and patience you can do this, The out come you are wanting is a peaceful co-existence.
Thank you for taking this cat in.
c
We were stuck on how to move forward so thank you so much we will definitely do this. I am going to feel bad keeping her in that one room all the time. I know she will want out but if this is what is best for all of them right now and will hopefully help them be able to “reset” then that is what is going to happen.
I know when we scent swapped and fed on opposite sides of the door they didn’t care so we moved on to the gates and it was like it went bad just when they saw each other but they had already had a bad interaction so that is probably why. Anyway thank you very much for your advice!

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I just wanted to come on here and ask a question. New cat is still isolated in her room and will still be isolated for a while just in a different area. We are a week away from it being 1 month. However I might have to move her to a family members house while they are out of town. I will be going by there everyday to see her. But we need the room she is in now for family visiting during the holidays. Does anyone know if it would be okay to begin scent swapping soon? I’m not sure because she may smell different when she is moved. They also have a cat but she will be isolated in the bathroom. I will also have to bring something with each cats scent back and forth. I don’t want my resident cats to think she is a different cat when she gets moved back. Or should I wait until the holidays are over around January to start scent swapping? I am hoping to start sometime soon because I am starting nursing school in January and won’t be home as much. If you still pay attention to this thread Thankyou! 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You can do some scent swapping, but don’t go out of your way. Her going to a different location for a while is going to put you back to square one sadly. But it’s okay. This will take time, so you could even wait and do the scent swapping 2 weeks after she returns. Your school isn’t going to be a problem. Your going to have to move slow with these guys anyway.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we are just restarting the introduction process today. It has been about 2 months since they have been separated and have had no contact. I am starting with scent swapping and using 3 different clean socks rubbing each cats head neck and cheeks and letting them sniff and give treats. They have had no reaction. How many days should I keep scent swapping if this continues?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally I continue scent and site swaps throughout the intro process. If there's no issue with that part, then definitely feel free to proceed forward.

I have a few of the same cat blankets that I put on the cat beds so I usually swap them out. You can use whatever but it is easier than swapping the bed themselves and then I've never had a cat feel like I'm giving their territory to another cat. Cardboard scratchers are also great for this.

So yeah, keep at it with the socks but likely they could smell one another through the door anyway and you can move forward.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally I continue scent and site swaps throughout the intro process. If there's no issue with that part, then definitely feel free to proceed forward.

I have a few of the same cat blankets that I put on the cat beds so I usually swap them out. You can use whatever but it is easier than swapping the bed themselves and then I've never had a cat feel like I'm giving their territory to another cat. Cardboard scratchers are also great for this.

So yeah, keep at it with the socks but likely they could smell one another through the door anyway and you can move forward.
Okay thank you!! I’m sure I will be on here again giving updates or asking question to make sure I’m doing things right this time lol.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you have gotten good advice. Just remember to take your time. Scent swapping can be done with beds and blankets as well. But, give this a few weeks at least.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. We have been feeding on opposite sides of the door for 10 days now. I feed in the morning and night. All cats are snackers so they do not finish the food in one sitting but eat throughout the day and night so when each time I feed a let them eat for a little bit by the door and then put their bowls in their usual spot. I have started putting treats in their bowl when they are by the door to give a little extra treat and this is the only time they get treats. They seem to be doing pretty good. The first few days Minnie (res.) growled and hissed a bit, she growls and hisses much less than before really only when I pet her while she is eating now. Kitty (res.) did not want to eat at all and did not want to be there she’s still like that but now eats a tiny bit while growling and then runs away. Like I said a while ago she just would rather be left alone and not bothered so it’s tricky with her. Tigger (new.) doesn’t growl, hiss or anything Sometimes she will eat quite a bit and other times barely eat anything and leave or just sit by the door. Today I have started play time with Minnie and Tigger underneath the door. Minnie played great Tigger did try to attack underneath the door while Minnie was playing but I’m guessing this is normal and will take time. If anyone has any suggestions on changing or adding something, or anything at all please let me know. :)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like you are doing great. Not time to move to the next step yet. Just wait until this is all done without any cat drama (growls and hisses).

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Small update:been feeding on opposite sides of the door and playing with Minnie and tigger for a little over a month now. I’ve skipped a few times because of busy days but not very many and try to stay as consistent as I can. There are still attacks underneath the door sometimes and some growling but they are not nearly as bad as before. They are even touching paws sometimes now when playing with a toy. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello once again everyone. Still playing and feeding on opposite sides of the door things are still better then the beginning but there are still attacks underneath the door and hissing. Kitty(res cat) still does not want to stay for anything other than eating. Minnie(res cat) seems like she’s getting bored of playing under the door and sometimes I have a hard time getting her to come up. She hisses when tiggers paws go underneath the door Still giving treats. Not sure if I should move on to the gates or continue even though Minnie is becoming bored but there are still attacks and hissing sometimes.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello once again everyone. Still playing and feeding on opposite sides of the door things are still better then the beginning but there are still attacks underneath the door and hissing. Kitty(res cat) still does not want to stay for anything other than eating. Minnie(res cat) seems like she’s getting bored of playing under the door and sometimes I have a hard time getting her to come up. She hisses when tiggers paws go underneath the door Still giving treats. Not sure if I should move on to the gates or continue even though Minnie is becoming bored but there are still attacks and hissing sometimes.
You go according to the slowest cat.
Don't force them to be at the intro area though. Let them walk away and take breaks. Many cats know when they need time to decompress.

I don't usually "stay" at unsighted. I allow unsighted to happen as it will. So though for other steps you should stay until Kitty is comfortable (Minnie being bored is good. It means she comfortable with this step), I would move to gated viewing.

Some people, and this might be good for you, use some cardboard by the gate to cut off the view of they need to.

What I like to do for gated is put the gate(s) up with a closed door. Sit down on the floor sideways against the gate on my RC side. So from the RC perspective, NC has two barriers - me and that gate. It's also because for the first few meetings you want them not that close to the gate. Background noise of choice on for this step and have some toys and treats around for distraction.

The cats have to have activities. You really don't want them hyper focusing on one another. So those toys have to be going. You want them to know they can do their normal things in front of one another.