In Desperate Need Of Advice

Loceana

Mom to Cali, Chai, Ember, Jasmine & Mona Lisa
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Sally! I am new to this site, which I found while searching for information on others' experience with post-op care for spayed cats. (Took in a young female stray and she was having difficulty at first with a reaction to the sutures but we are now 8 days post op and she is doing well, thankfully.) I also have been taking care of a feral mother and her two (now grown) babies for the past 3 1/2 years and love hearing about how others care for ferals. When I moved two years ago, I just had to bring them with me because they had grown dependent on me for food plus I couldn't bear to leave them behind.

I can't imagine how hard it is for you to keep up with your colony and I want to reach out give you a million hugs for all of your hard work and compassion for your "babies." It sounds like with all of the advice already given that you have managed to reduce your food bill. Did Friskies ever respond about the coupons, by chance? And how is Pumpkin? Your description of his eye sounds heartbreaking, but I wonder if you could at least manage for a vet to see him just in case there is something they can do? I understand the pull between not wanting him to suffer versus making a humane decision for his health/well-being/happiness and there are no easy answers, but even if it is cancer, maybe there's something the vet can recommend to ease any discomfort he may have?

I'm so concerned that you don't have any physical help with the colony...at least someone to help give you a break to where maybe you only are responsible for one feeding a day instead of both. You have a demanding work schedule and what if you became ill? It's just good to think ahead and have a back up plan if at all possible. Have you tried to post for help in online classifieds, Craigslist or maybe even "NextDoor" which is an online community for area neighborhoods in your same general area? I know if I lived closer I would not hesitate to come and help you out with the cats' care, but unfortunately, I am all the way across the country from you.

I know you're busy, but we'd love an update whenever you have the time. Hope all is well! ~Laura

Last edited by a moderator: