In Desperate Need Of Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually prefer the night shift (no customers to deal with!) and it is 50 cents an hour of more pay, and it is a secure job because most people don't want to work that shift. So it is okay. I keep looking for jobs whenever I can, in hopes of being able to make more money (making $11.50 per hour). Walmart no longer gives "merit" raises (based on how well you do your job) now everyone get a 2% raise every year no matter how you perform.
Yes, I have received wonderful suggestions and so many of them have helped. I loved one of the most recent ones which was to contact the charity that Walmart gives to to see if the charity would give to me! What a great idea. I will look into it!
Thanks for your kind comment. They give so much love in return, it is always a joy!

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually prefer the night shift (no customers to deal with!) and it is 50 cents an hour of more pay, and it is a secure job because most people don't want to work that shift. So it is okay. I keep looking for jobs whenever I can, in hopes of being able to make more money (making $11.50 per hour). Walmart no longer gives "merit" raises (based on how well you do your job) now everyone get a 2% raise every year no matter how you perform.
Yes, I have received wonderful suggestions and so many of them have helped. I loved one of the most recent ones which was to contact the charity that Walmart gives to to see if the charity would give to me! What a great idea. I will look into it!
Thanks for your kind comment. They give so much love in return, it is always a joy!
I forgot, I was going to tell you......I applied to Target. They called me this past week to offer me a job...the 4:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. shift....unloading the truck and moving pallets of freight to the floor. Even more physically demanding than what I do already. And for 4 hours! I told the man who called that I am employed full time and wouldn't leave for a part time job, but he said they only hire part time and if you do a good job then you MIGHT get full time. I certainly didn't know that. So much for the economy that is growing. Although retail is having a tough time (except for Walmart and Amazon).

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An update on one of my days off work. Yesterday I tried the mix of wet and dry with water. Some ate it, all nibbled at it. So, it seems it is a possibility. I may just have to find the right combination for them. I noticed that when it "sat" for a good 5 minutes or so, the dry lost it's "crunchiness" and seemed more interesting to them. I'll have to play around and see what works.
I did "up" the portions and then didn't feed last night. This morning all of the food was gone, so, when hungry, they ate it all. (Although it may have been the "night life" that finished it up). But, just using the Special Kitty dry food for 1/2 of the dry food I feed and doing one meal of mixed dry and wet, and eliminating one meal, I know I have saved a bunch.
I haven't figured out how much yet, but I will do the calculations in the next couple of days. No matter how much, it is a start, which is really important. Everyone has done so much to give great ideas, it has really helped.
I wanted to let you all know too, that Walmart's policy at my store just doesn't allow for giving away their "damaged" food. They give it all to a local charity, no exceptions, except for some that must be sent back to the corporate warehouse for damages. So that ends that source.
I do have a 'go fund me' site, but my iphone that I used for pictures was stolen at work, so I am limited as to pictures I can take, and I must have a " new" picture in order to update or start a new thread on my site. I will do that just as soon as I can.
I want to say too, I hope you can understand, since I am 74 and working at a stocking job that means lifting heavy stock for an 8 hour shift, and with 50 cats to feed and manage, and a house to look after, I need all of the sleep I can get. I did discover I am anemic ( a life-long problem for me) but I am on medication that should "kick in" soon. But, that leaves me with just minutes of extra time in order to find anyone to help me. I did spend almost a year before I started work trying to get help, but to no avail.
I agree with all of you, that I "should" have help. Of course I want the help, but I feel as if I am just holding my head above water most of the time. I went to work because I couldn't find help, and now with work, I don't have time to continue trying to find help. If any of you would like to make contact with any organization on my behalf, that would be wonderful, and it gives validity to what I do.
I hope I don't sound like I am "on the pity pot" it is just that there are just so many hours during the day. The reality is that I am also trapping right now and, as all of you know, that consumes so much time....even when nothing is happening. I didn't trap this week but will trap again next week.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can put the wet and dry food side by side on the plate or on separate plates, that way it won't lose it's crunchiness. My cats like the crunch.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can put the wet and dry food side by side on the plate or on separate plates, that way it won't lose it's crunchiness. My cats like the crunch.
Thanks for that idea. I am going to try that too. If I keep trying I am sure to find what they like. I am still trying to grasp the fact that for all of these years I thought the wet was better than the dry for them. Reading labels is a good idea! The difference in the amount of protein between the two is just amazing. Now as I am dishing out the wet I am thinking, wow what a waste! But, it does keep them running to eat, and, they enjoy it so that is good too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually you were right, the wet food is better for them because of the moisture. But 1 can per cat a day is plenty as long as they have dry food to snack on. I don't know many people who can afford to give them more than that. When you said that you give 2 cans of Friskies per day to each of your cats, I was thinking maybe that's why it's so expensive and maybe you could cut back to 1 can each.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:
Wet food is better in that it's higher in protein and moisture. But as far as getting calories for a better price, dry food is better at that. But yeah, lol, most spoiled pet cats only get 1 can a day, no reason to spoil them too much ;).

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope I don't sound like I am "on the pity pot" it is just that there are just so many hours during the day. The reality is that I am also trapping right now and, as all of you know, that consumes so much time....even when nothing is happening. I didn't trap this week but will trap again next week.
NO ONE would put you anywhere near the "pity pot". You are an angel to those cats and many of us (including me) are in awe of how dedicated you are and how well you take care of them despite your situation. The world needs more people like you in it. Those cats love you very much. If they could talk, they would tell you that every day. :hugs:

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh Kat, thanks so much for your message. Made me teary! I really appreciate the support, especially coming from you. Good news, I just heard back from Twitter (don't know if you saw the message that my account had been terminated for some strange reason) they apologized and said my account had gotten caught up in some "sweep" of malicious accounts! So, tomorrow I will finally make contact with Friskies to see about coupons. (Thanks also for making contact with them.) Hopefully they will remember your contact.

I've been dealing with a difficult situation with the oldest cat in the colony a male named "Pumpkin". I think he has cancer on some tissue near one of his eyes. It looks awful and it is obvious that there is not much that could be done about it since there is so little skin there to work with. I have been worrying about him so much. The eye doesn't seem to bother him in the least, he goes about his life as he always has, he even has a new boyfriend (one of the sweetest males in the colony.

Pumpkin's friend, "Black Magic" latched on to Pumkin just before Pumpkin was attacked last year by something other than a cat. I think it was a racoon that got him in the soft tissue right above his leg. It was a deep wound that healed after a long dose of antibiotics. "Black Magic" watched after Pumpkin in a manner I have never seen before. He literally would not let Pumpkin out of his site. He walked side by side with him, always speeding up or slowing down to match Pumpkin's pace. It was so touching. He still watches over Pumpkin. They sleep together and play rolling around in the street, and eat side by side.

So I have been torn about putting Pumpkin down because of his eye, and then hating doing it because he and Black Magic have so much fun together, and also because Pumpkin doesn't show any signs of being bothered by it at all. I had thought I had finally made up my mind last week to have him put down. I prayed about it alot. And mentioned it at work to a lady I talk with every now and then about her little dog. Anyway, when I mentioned what I planned to do she had a fit! "How dare you decide to act like God", she said. "If that cat is fine and happy, who cares what the eye looks like. Are you going to put him down because the eye looks awful? Old age isn't pretty for anyone, but you don't kill something just because it doesn't look right. Would you want someone to kill you if you had a funny looking eye? Leave it in God's hands. It is His decision anyway and if He wants the cat to die, he will make that happen!"

Well, I was really taken aback, but not in a bad way. It was just that I hadn't been able to make myself take him to the Vet and what she was saying really felt right and true and like it was what I felt deep down. I've watched Pumpkin these past two days and the eye continues to look awful, but he seems as happy as can be. So I am going to let things be and see what happens. Obviously if it starts to change and he seems to be suffering any I will not hesitate to have him put down. But as of today, I feel blessed for the message sent in the lunch room! These certainly are God's creatures we care for.

Thanks again Kat for your kind words.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your colony of cats doing? My two cats have decided that they like their canned food dropped on top of their dry food. I never thought they would like it like that, but they do. They don't like it mixed together, but just the wet food dropped on top of the plate of dry food. Anyway, if you try that it might cut down on costs for you. I do about equal amounts of each.

Shangrala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a newcomer here - joined today in search of a little support regarding a few stray/feral cats that I've begun caring for shortly after I moved here (5 months ago). As I began nosing around on this site, your post caught my eye & I read through it entirely. And WOW! I am beyond astonished over your years of dedication, sacrifice & love for those kitties especially at your age! (I'm turning 60 in a few months & I know the struggles of aging and you're powering through all of that almost 20 years older than me!!) My mind is blown! Bless your exhausted heart.

I noticed that you're located "on the coast of central California". I'm in California, too, (East SF Bay Area), & wonder that if we're relatively close maybe I can physically help you out in some way.

Huge Kudos to you. Your kitties love you.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry I haven't been on the site in a while. (My exhausted heart has been exhausted!) If you can, any support sent through Chewy would be wonderful!! I will
How is your colony of cats doing? My two cats have decided that they like their canned food dropped on top of their dry food. I never thought they would like it like that, but they do. They don't like it mixed together, but just the wet food dropped on top of the plate of dry food. Anyway, if you try that it might cut down on costs for you. I do about equal amounts of each.
That is a great idea, I will try it. It would help in lots of ways, if they would do it that way. Thanks for the post. I am updating information about the colony today.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also meant to add that if possible, I can send some supplies to you via Chewy.com.
I'll keep an eye on this post to see your reply.
Hi Shangrala,
Thanks for your post to my "exhausted" heart. I haven't been on the site in a while because I have been exhausted!
I also meant to add that if possible, I can send some supplies to you via Chewy.com.
I'll keep an eye on this post to see your reply.
Whoops!! left to turn off the oven and forgot about post I had started to you. It is amazing how much energy you get from helping these little fur balls. I think its because they trust in my help so much that I have no choice but to power on through it. It helps a little that the youngest are now old enough to have one meal be all dry so I can get extra sleep on my days off.

I am in Moss Landing which is on the coast 1/2 hour from Monterey and 1/2 hour from Santa Cruz. I am right in the middle of the coastline on Monterey Bay. Too far for you to help physically, but I am so appreciative of your offer. (I just wish one of my neighbors would offer to help). If you would like to help via Chewy, that would be super wonderful! I will private email you through this site (if I can remember how to do it!).

If you have questions about your little colony, please don't hesitate to ask me. I would love to hear about them, how many, what colors, what age, etc....While helping them can be work, the rewards are so great. They are so appreciative of help, and watching the interaction can be so much fun.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I would let you all know how things are doing here at the Feral Cat Sanctuary! All is well. Two more kittens, one male one female, now neutered! Only 10 more to go!!! And Spring is fast approaching. I feel somewhat panicked about getting it all done. Especially since I know it always goes pretty well at the beginning. Then, they start passing the word amongst each other and they don't rush into the traps or under the drop traps so willingly! But, I will prevail!
My food costs have dropped! I haven't figured out how much yet, but just adding the Special Kitty dry food formulas to the Friskies dry food has helped a lot. My kids don't think much of the large bulk Special Outdoor Kitty formula and I noticed that when the kittens ate it, it gave them diarrhea, but they love the Gourmet variety. I am now feeding the adult cats about 2/3rds Special Kitty and 1/3rd Friskies along with their wet Friskies. The youngest kittens get Special Kitty "kitten dry food" mixed with Friskies dry along with wet Friskies and everyone gets only dry one day a week.
"Maggiedemi" suggested putting wet food right on top of dry food, and I am going to try that this week. I think it will cut down on the dry food since some of the dry food goes to waste when it is just left on a separate plate.
And, I am cutting down on paper food tray expenses by using Walmart cardboard boxes. So, all in all, I am doing better. But I can still do more, and all of your suggestions have helped so much.
Everyone in the colony is doing well, although "Pumpkin's" eye continues to get worse. Somedays it is so hard to look at. It makes me feel like the worst "Mom" ever. But he still seems so happy and unaffected by it. He eats like a horse and plays with "Black Magic" every day. I am watching him closely though and I won't hesitate to scoop him up and have him put down the minute he shows any signs of it bothering him.
All of the kittens have gained weight and look happy and healthy. They stay out of the street, thank heaven, and are learning the safe places to play. I know their mother taught them well, but the older cats show them the way. The kittens watch the older ones and learn, and some of the older ones go out of their way to teach what is best. "Billy Bob (those of you that remember him...he was the kitten hit by the car).....he is the BEST uncle of all. He spends most of his time with all of the young ones. While I think some of his care is due to the fact that a couple of the young ones are female (he goes next to be fixed, by the way) he still seems to enjoy playing with them. Sometimes I am afraid he is going to hurt them because the play seems rough, but the kittens come right back to play after a tumble with Billy Bob and follow him around with their tails pointed straight to the sky!
That's all for now. Time is short. I will post again soon.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my cats liked the wet food on top of the dry food for exactly a week. Now they don't like it that way anymore. Cats are so picky! I guess I'll go back to serving it side by side or on separate plates. How is it going with your ferals? How is Pumpkin's eye? Is it runny? When Demi had a runny eye, I used Terramycin ointment on it. But I guess it would be hard to put ointment on an outside feral's eye.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How typical!!!.....for the cats to be happy about their food one day and then to ignore it the next!!!
Things are good here, everyone happy and healthy except for Pumpkin. The problem is not really with the eye itself, but with the skin around the eye which is being eaten away by cancer. It look awful and I am still terribly conflicted about what to do. I may take him to the vet next week to talk it over. Someone at work offered to help with surgery if that was at all possible. I just don't think there is much that can be done. There isn't enough "good" skin, I think, to remove the bad part and then try and suture the rest. And, doing that won't cure the cancer which will continue to eat away at it. The only time he fusses with it is if he rubs it and pulls the scab away. Then is runs and looks awful. I give him Lysine (my go to remedy for anything to do with eyes) to try and keep the eyes themselves doing well.

Feeling tired and overwhelmed these days. Trapping season does that to me. But I am taking a day off work this week to try and catch up on my house and some sleep. I have one Manager who insists on putting me in the Auto Hardware department to stock. That means stocking the huge car oil containers, sometimes as many as 50 a night along with all of the other "heavy" freight that is in that department. When that happens, it takes a toll on me, and I drag for the rest of the week.

Other than that, all is well.Hope all is well with you.
Sally