In Desperate Need Of Advice

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been a long time since posting here, but I have been just a little busy!
After working now for 2 years at Walmart full time in order to feed and care for the colony, an un-neutered female joined the colony and had three consecutive litters without my realizing what was happening until the third litter showed up. To make matters worse two (and possibly more) of the first litter are pregnant!
I work the 10:00 p.m to 7:00 a.m. shift, so unless cats show up for the morning meal, I don't see them since it is dark when I feed the second meal.
I cannot continue to feed so many and need advice from all of you. My financial position is not even flexible enough to pay for the neutering of the two pregnant ones, although tomorrow I am going to contact both our local SPCA and County Health to see if they can help with that.
In the meantime, can you give me ideas to cut my costs? Right now I feed twice a day. Both meals consist of Friskies Wet and Dry along with Treats and 1 Large Bag of Iams Dry a month. My monthly cost for food is $1241. There are now about 50 cats in the colony. I have always determined the amount of food necessary for each one by the amount of food left in the feeding bowls after each meal. If the bowls are scraped clean I feed just a little more, until such time there is a little food left in most bowls, and then I feed a little more.
By the way, I also have always fed the cats in the little paper trays that most shelters use for food. That cost each month is about $60.00 so even ideas on how to cut that cost would be welcome.
I also have a $200 a month payment on a credit card I have used only for veterinary costs (including Euthanasia which has happened a lot this past year since I started caring for the colony in 1997.) I had one huge expense added to that card this past year when I rescued "Billy-Bob" who, as a kitten, had been hit by a car. As some of you know, I took him to the Vet thinking he was almost dead, when he made a miraculous recovery which resulted in a $2000 vet bill!
There is, of course, the horrible alternative of having some newly arrived cats put down, but that is such an awful alternative. And yet, I don't see how I can continue to pay for the food. Ownership of my home is already in
jeopardy because I am behind on my taxes. I have a Reverse Mortgage which means I am free of monthly payments, but the taxes are about $220 a month.
For the past two years I have lived as frugally as possible. I live on Peanut Butter and Jam sandwiches, no eating out, no cell phone, no clothes, no other costs except PGE, Water, Sewer, Garbage, etc. I live alone, but I am renting out one room in my house to a fellow employee. Because my job is stocking freight at Walmart (done mostly by people half my age) I am 74 and just too tired to try and manage a second job.
So, in a nutshell that is the story. Any and all of your ideas are needed and welcomed. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do. I had already planned to spend any extra time in January and February trapping all of the new arrivals, never anticipating that any of them could or would get pregnant in late fall (which has never happened before...even in the years I spent getting the whole colony fixed).
When I was just beginning to feel I would have some years without having to care for cats (although I have loved caring for them) it feels as if I am back at the beginning again.I do worry that any changes I make might really upset the older members of the colony who have been fed the same way for 17 years. I look forward to hearing any and all advice you can give.

Last edited:

Bamboogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this probably isn't ideal for you, but have you considered giving some cats away (either to a shelter or another home)? If that's not an option, you could see if buying food in bulk would be cheaper or call the spca and ask for some tips. And for the food bowl thing, you could invest in some plastic bowls that you don't need to replace, and you don't have to buy them all at once. I hope I was able to help, good luck. :)

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We just had another thread discussing a very similar thing except they only had 5 cats, not 50.
In my opinion, you need to go to cheaper food. And you work in the perfect place for it. The Walmart special Kitty dry food is I think, and my cats second it, pretty good stuff. You can get a 44 pound of the outdoor one and a 35 pound bag of the gourmet one, mix them together (they like the flavor of the gourmet one more) and get almost 80 pounds of food for less than $50. My 10 go through that much in about 6 to 8 weeks. So your crew would probably get 2 weeks on that 80 lbs. Buying it twice a month will cut your bill down to $100. a month. So you save $1,000 which you can use for other things. As far as food trays I have used the plastic trays from microwave dinners. They will blow away if you have no way of holding them down. Might have to run a stick through them to stake them down.
Here is the other thread I was telling you about.
It So Hard To Talk About This.. But Need Advise..
There might be free spay and neuter clinics around. We have them here several times a year. I live on an Indian Reservation and those sometimes get special services like that. Sometimes they are for tribal members only but often its for anyone in the area. Population control of pets is a pretty big problem on reservations.

And another thought, you can keep the mixed food in a plastic garbage can with a locking lid and wheels. Makes it easy to get it around. I used to use those for grain for horses when I still had those.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, you don't have to spend yourself into bankruptcy, get a cheaper food than Iams. I buy all my cat food at Walmart and always buy Special kitty for the outside cats. Forget the treats unless you keep some to hand feed any that come up to you, too many causes diarrhea and vomiting anyway. I fed a lot of cats by mixing Friskies canned with water and then mixing that with the dry, they loved it. Since you have rather spoiled them (I did the same thing) they may quit eating for a while, but they will, they won't starve.
I use those foam little plated at Walmart for feeding, you may have to use the big ones. They are cheap and then the next time I feed I pick up the used ones and put them in a plastic bag and take them in to rinse and wash them. This way I get many uses out of them. You could buy some heavier ceramic, stainless steel bowls, and put them in a bag to wash too, you'll need two sets but will save in the long run.
The first and most important thing to do is to get the population under control. When you get to that many cats there WILL be a disease coming thru like distemper and you don't want that. Only the inoculated cats will survive. I spay/neuter one or two cats a year and get all their shots and finally got all mine done, it is a wonderful feeling! You definitely need help. Beg the local shelter or SPCA for their help. But you must specify which cats need to be done or some of your older ones amy be taken. Any cats neutered/spayed should have the very tips of their ear clipped to ID them to others. It is universal.
YOU CAN"T LET YOUR HOUSE GO FOR TAXES! Get those taxes paid, the cats can definitely cut back for a while. If you lose your home, then what? You and your home come first even if they have to go to dry exclusively for a while.
I have found one thing that the cats even like better than canned food and is cheap. Get those ten pound bags of chicken hindquarters at Walmart for 59-69 cents/pound. Boil them up until they fall off the bone, a couple of hours, and shred it into baggies. Then mix it with the dry and a little saved broth, even your seniors will love it!
My heart goes out to you, I'll pray you find a solution. You just can't keep feeding more and more although I know you can't turn them away either. you need help, please find it, be persistent. I'll pray for you, please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite its reputation for being a high quality food, Iams has been rated low on many of the cat food quality sites I've researched. I don't exactly remember all, but I don't think they have a lot of protein. You'd be better off buying the standard Purina Cat Chow bags of dry food. It's inexpensive and provides the nutrition they need at a reasonable cost. Also, perhaps cut out the canned food. If you provide them with bowls if water, then they can survive without the canned food. Some Humane Societies will donate food to caregivers. Enlist their help with your situation. Thanks for helping these cats ☺

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We just had another thread discussing a very similar thing except they only had 5 cats, not 50.
In my opinion, you need to go to cheaper food. And you work in the perfect place for it. The Walmart special Kitty dry food is I think, and my cats second it, pretty good stuff. You can get a 44 pound of the outdoor one and a 35 pound bag of the gourmet one, mix them together (they like the flavor of the gourmet one more) and get almost 80 pounds of food for less than $50. My 10 go through that much in about 6 to 8 weeks. So your crew would probably get 2 weeks on that 80 lbs. Buying it twice a month will cut your bill down to $100. a month. So you save $1,000 which you can use for other things. As far as food trays I have used the plastic trays from microwave dinners. They will blow away if you have no way of holding them down. Might have to run a stick through them to stake them down.
Here is the other thread I was telling you about.
It So Hard To Talk About This.. But Need Advise..
There might be free spay and neuter clinics around. We have them here several times a year. I live on an Indian Reservation and those sometimes get special services like that. Sometimes they are for tribal members only but often its for anyone in the area. Population control of pets is a pretty big problem on reservations.

And another thought, you can keep the mixed food in a plastic garbage can with a locking lid and wheels. Makes it easy to get it around. I used to use those for grain for horses when I still had those.
I agree about switching to the WM Special Kitty food. You'll get your employee discount too. I also agree about ditching the Iams altogether. It's not worth the extra $$. It is not a premium food despite what they want you to think.

I would tell the store manager about your cats and if they have any bags/cans of food that they are going to donate because of damage or something (a small tear or dent or something that would make it unsellable) if they could give it to you. The worst thing they can say is no. I would also contact someone at Petco, Petsmart and Chewy to see if they would be willing to donate anything to help the cats. My Petsmart has a box at the front of the store that is for donations for a local no kill shelter. Ask them if they would do something like that for your colony. They claim to be big on giving back. Give it a try. Again, the worst that can happen is that they say no.

Talk to your coworkers who have cats. Tell them about your situation and ask them if they are willing to give you foods that their cats reject. My cats are super picky and I have given away plenty of canned foods that they refused to eat. The people I gave them to were happy to receive them and the non diva kitties gobbled them up.

Start a gofundme account, Patreon account or a similar crowd funding account. If you do make one, post a link to it here on Twitter and on Facebook so cat lovers can see it and donate if they choose. I bet people here would donate to help you and the cats. Those cats are so lucky to have you supermax1943 supermax1943 and I have no doubt that they love and appreciate you more than you realize. You are their angel. Please do not put the food before your taxes. If the cats could talk, they would tell you that too. They would never want their angel to suffer. :hugs:

ETA: For dishes, I would visit a local thrift store and see if they are willing to give you a deal on dishes that were donated. You can also go to Craigslist and post an ad on your local page under the "wanted" section. You can ask for bowls and donations of any cat food that is not being used.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please, please continue to offer advice and bless those of you that took the time to reply. Those of you who have done this for years may have tips I hadn't thought of. Just to clarify: I only buy one bag of Iams a month...the hairball one which has helped with hairballs. Of course, that is one thing I can eliminate. I think switching to the Special Kitty Food for all of the new ones is a good idea. I did use it for awhile and it is easy to go back to it (just forgot about it....when in a panic all reason goes out the window!).
All of the colony are neutered/spayed and ear tipped except for this batch of 16 that arrived in what seemed like a day.
I always trap in January and February if there are any newcomers to the colony...in the almost 20 years of caring for this colony there have never been any babies born in the fall. So this was a complete unexpected surprise! And then for two of them to be pregnant! Holy Cow this has been a catastrophe.
If you are interested in how the SPCA has been willing to help me:insertevillaugh:in my old posts there is the story of how cruel they have been. They say they support feral colonies and TNR...but in reality my SPCA does not. Although their clinic for neuter and spay is truly wonderful and a godsend. And, our local County Animal Services has helped a little, but they are so strapped for funds they really can't help except in a dire emergency.
I think I will try and find a source for used t.v trays or something similar. I have tried using dishes (plastic and stainless steel) but the washing takes so long and with full time work and this colony to feed, washing dishes is just too much. My dishwasher died just six months ago and that was a help when I needed to use my emergency bowls. (Years ago I bought stainless steel and plastic small bowls for times when I simply cannot afford the paper trays. Luckily I have enough to cover at least two days).
I am relieved that no one has suggested that putting some down is a solution. That would feel to me as if all of the work I have done over the years was a failure. I have, quite literally, given everything to managing this colony. When I started caring for them I had ample funds to do so for the rest of my life, but a family feud in 2013 that resulted in a law suit left me without any income except a small Social Security check. It has been a rough go since then and thank heaven Walmart was willing to hire me at 72 years of age.
Thanks so much for responding, please keep sending ideas, or supportive comments. I need all the help I can get right now.:hellocomputer:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is an idea about your need for TNR.
The clinics they do here for spay and neuter (cats and dogs) are done in connection with and by Veterinary Colleges. There is usually one instructor and a group of final year students. The local support group finds accommodations for all that come here and they find a facility to set up in. The last one I was at was done in a basketball court. The students do all the surgery under the watchful eye of the instructor. It is for the purpose of the students getting experience doing surgery as well as a service to the community. The students need to have a certain number of surgeries completed successfully in order to graduate. This gives them the chance to get all the practice they need. So it benefits everybody. The students are much more attentive to problems with any of the animals than many vets are. They are there to learn. For example:
A few years ago I had a black feral or maybe a stray tom cat show up. He was looking for ladies and food. He ended up staying for several months. He left a few times and came back in a few days. I guess he was checking out other girls. Anyway after one of his forays he returned with a nasty gash on his neck. I couldn't tell what it was but assumed he got it in a fight. Anyway they next week a clinic started and he was still hanging around and had become pretty friendly. I could handle him with no trouble. So, I loaded him up in a carrier and he got a special trip to a clinic. On the intake form they asked what his name was and I left it blank as he had no name. Well a student neutered him and while he was still out decided to check out his wound. They just wanted to see if it was a problem. After a few minutes of shaving and probing she exclaimed "Oh my, he has been shot!" The instructor immediately appeared and the other students gathered around. None of them had ever dealt with a wound like that. He still had the pellet in him. So they removed it, cleaned up the wound and fixed it up so it could heal. They told me how to treat it. He got first class care and they got experience. The student who worked on him commented that he really needed name. A cat that good deserved some recognition. If the pellet had hit him just a half inch over it probably would have killed him. So after I got him home I thought about that and named him Bruce as in Bruce Willis in Die Hard. He recovered completely. I have some pictures of him with his shaved neck and his nasty gash if anyone wants to see.
Anyway, I just did a search and it looks like there are 20 some vet schools in California. I would call them and find out if they need any cats to practice surgery on. Not cats donated to them but TNR cats. It is possible that they could take in a batch for students to get experience with.
28 Accredited Veterinary Schools in California

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been a long time since posting here, but I have been just a little busy!
After working now for 2 years at Walmart full time in order to feed and care for the colony, an un-neutered female joined the colony and had three consecutive litters without my realizing what was happening until the third litter showed up. To make matters worse two (and possibly more) of the first litter are pregnant!
I work the 10:00 p.m to 7:00 a.m. shift, so unless cats show up for the morning meal, I don't see them since it is dark when I feed the second meal.
I cannot continue to feed so many and need advice from all of you. My financial position is not even flexible enough to pay for the neutering of the two pregnant ones, although tomorrow I am going to contact both our local SPCA and County Health to see if they can help with that.
In the meantime, can you give me ideas to cut my costs? Right now I feed twice a day. Both meals consist of Friskies Wet and Dry along with Treats and 1 Large Bag of Iams Dry a month. My monthly cost for food is $1241. There are now about 50 cats in the colony. I have always determined the amount of food necessary for each one by the amount of food left in the feeding bowls after each meal. If the bowls are scraped clean I feed just a little more, until such time there is a little food left in most bowls, and then I feed a little more.
By the way, I also have always fed the cats in the little paper trays that most shelters use for food. That cost each month is about $60.00 so even ideas on how to cut that cost would be welcome.
I also have a $200 a month payment on a credit card I have used only for veterinary costs (including Euthanasia which has happened a lot this past year since I started caring for the colony in 1997.) I had one huge expense added to that card this past year when I rescued "Billy-Bob" who, as a kitten, had been hit by a car. As some of you know, I took him to the Vet thinking he was almost dead, when he made a miraculous recovery which resulted in a $2000 vet bill!
There is, of course, the horrible alternative of having some newly arrived cats put down, but that is such an awful alternative. And yet, I don't see how I can continue to pay for the food. Ownership of my home is already in
jeopardy because I am behind on my taxes. I have a Reverse Mortgage which means I am free of monthly payments, but the taxes are about $220 a month.
For the past two years I have lived as frugally as possible. I live on Peanut Butter and Jam sandwiches, no eating out, no cell phone, no clothes, no other costs except PGE, Water, Sewer, Garbage, etc. I live alone, but I am renting out one room in my house to a fellow employee. Because my job is stocking freight at Walmart (done mostly by people half my age) I am 74 and just too tired to try and manage a second job.
So, in a nutshell that is the story. Any and all of your ideas are needed and welcomed. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do. I had already planned to spend any extra time in January and February trapping all of the new arrivals, never anticipating that any of them could or would get pregnant in late fall (which has never happened before...even in the years I spent getting the whole colony fixed).
When I was just beginning to feel I would have some years without having to care for cats (although I have loved caring for them) it feels as if I am back at the beginning again.I do worry that any changes I make might really upset the older members of the colony who have been fed the same way for 17 years. I look forward to hearing any and all advice you can give.

All of you who work with feral cats will enjoy this...I set a drop trap IN THE HOUSE to try and catch the two pregnant kids who come into the feeding room while I am fixing the evening meal. I caught one but the other decided not to come into the feeding room (how typical is that? the night you trap they change their usual pattern!). Anyway, I was just glad to get one. Named her "Susie" on the intake form at the SPCA. (I am running out of original names after naming probably a hundred or more over the years). When I went to pick her up, they informed me it was a nice young MALE (who apparently just liked to eat!). :crackup:
What I re-learned during this trapping was how much I love caring for these kids. Much as I hate trapping because of all the work that goes into it and because I hate scaring the kids, it is a time when I get to know each of them. I always trap the night before neutering/spaying day and I always move them from the trap to a holding cage for the night and then back into the trap in the morning. Then I do the same when they come home from surgery, although I move them into a full-size holding cage for recovery.
All of the transferring from cage to cage lets me learn a little about them. The male I just trapped (now re-named "Harvey") is just the sweetest little guy. He only complained once as we drove out of the driveway. After one transfer he "got" the whole system and happily went along with it. In the morning, when I opened the cage doors so he could be free again he just calmly stayed in the cage for over an hour before he decided to venture out. That little time with him is what ties me to them. It is when we "connect" even though it is such a stressful time for them.
I wanted to write this all down to remind myself why I do this work. I had almost forgotten since all I seemed to be doing these days was feeding them when all I wanted to do was sleep, and to worry constantly about how I could continue to financially care for them.
The one day of trapping reminded me of all that I love about the "kids" and why I am working to continue to help them. Maybe it will help any of you who have not trapped yet and hesitate to trap because you don't want to frighten them. I didn't used to have such an elaborate system for the trapping, but even when I just trapped and held them over night in the cage I still felt a close connection with them after the trapping. It seems to be a time to bond, as strange as that may seem.
So, now I will have to try for the other one that I THINK is FEMALE and THINK IS PREGNANT! I can't trap again until Sunday night as the SPCA is closed for the weekend ( I work tonight so no trapping). All I can do now is pray that if this is a pregnant female I can still get her fixed in time. Prayers gladly accepted!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a Godsend to these babies, I absolutely loved your story! I will definitely send my thoughts and prayers your way, you have a wonderful sense of humour and a gift with these cats, I wish you all the best in the future, I know all the cats already do!

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are a Godsend to these babies, I absolutely loved your story! I will definitely send my thoughts and prayers your way, you have a wonderful sense of humour and a gift with these cats, I wish you all the best in the future, I know all the cats already do!
Thanks so much for your kind words. What is honestly the truth is that the kids have been a Godsend for me. They give me such joy. I am so honored that they let me care for them they are so sweet, brave, and fun, and so caring for each other. And I am always so glad communicating with all of you on this site. I keep hoping someday I will have a close friend who shares my love for these fur balls, but there is a huge supply of friends right here. I am going to make an effort to stay more in touch.

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm on the other side of the country, but I have heard of Working Cats over in California. They rescue ferals from shelters, fix them, and place them at farms and such as natural pest control. The businesses feed and make shelters for them. Might not hurt to contact them, they might be able to place a few cats that would be good mousers. Alley Cat Allies does a lot in NJ. They receive funding through the county to oversee TNR programs all over. Since I'm disabled and low income, they pay for the TNR. They even pick up the cats and bring them back. They do work throughout the country too. If nothing else they may have more helpful suggestions. They even cover emergency services. I also second going with cheaper meals.

I know it's very tough to care for them when it's tough to care for yourself. For me, it keeps me going though. Even when my health goes to heck again, I still get out there twice a day. It's one more thing that keeps me fighting. It's also a good routine that keeps me on a schedule. It is a truly wonderful thing you're doing!

Finally, maybe making an amazon wish list and posting it somewhere might help. (like for the plates and food) Then people can donate items to you directly. I've seen colony caretakers do this on Facebook. It makes a world of difference for them. Also, contacting stores is a good idea. I've been encouraged to do that as well. While I personally haven't had luck with that, others have. (The food is already claimed by the many shelters and caretakers around. I was too late for that. :-/ )

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention before...You need to enlist the help of others, not only organizations with the goal of TNR, but also those in your community who share your concern for them. It is very important that you keep their population from growing. Having a support or TNR group can be very helpful here. Neighborhoodcats.org may be able to help you with advice and online resource materials (find their downloadable TNR handbook under Resources). TCS has the best of both worlds. And mainly, your immediate access to a living suppository of knowledge and experience...that being the members of TheCatSite. Whatever it is you're after, it is here. Sometimes you may have "Use the FORCE!" by pressing a boot to their foreheads, and using a crowbar to pry it out of their mouths...like pulling molars. :flail::hyper::lolup::insertevillaugh:

I happened across a news story a few months ago, of a retired veteran who was spending considerable time and effort to care for cat colonies. I think his story really became public when someone started a GoMeFund for him. The fund not only generated money to help him feed and care for the colonies, but it also enable him to replace the worn out pickup truck he was using to travel to various colony locations. I hope that when you read about his story, you will not only find some helpful ideas, but also the inspiration and determination to not give up or allow this mantle to become to great for you. This Retired Veteran Has Been Taking Care of Connecticut’s Feral Cats for Over 20 Years. This story I believe made national news, so there should be other sources for it besides the link I provided.

You should not be carrying this alone. Feral cat colonies is a community issue. When you enlist the help of others, seek out those with a like mind in caring for feral cats and for animals, and avoid those who might undermine your goals or express the desire that euthanizing the colony is only option. Neighborhood Cat's TNR Handbook covers this and explains why it does not work.

Wishing you a safe and Happy New Year and the best that life can bring for your love, strength and kindness towards these beautiful and wonderful creatures. :goodluck::goldstar:

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Others have given you excellent advice and ideas. I really cannot thing of something valuable to add, but I wanted to say that I think you are an exceptionally compassionate person to care for your colony at this level of commitment to them. We need more people like you in the world!

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Have you looked into getting help from any TNR groups or organizations to help you manage this colony?
Hi KatKnapper,
Thanks for your message. Yes, I have tried everything. I spent almost a year, before I got the job at Walmart, trying to enlist the help of anyone, but no luck. Occasionally, a neighbor will give me $20.00 to help with food, but that only happens a couple of times a year. I have pleaded with the neighbors sending out flyers and posting door to door explaining that without me, the neighborhood would be overrun with cats and that I could use help.
I forgot to mention before...You need to enlist the help of others, not only organizations with the goal of TNR, but also those in your community who share your concern for them. It is very important that you keep their population from growing. Having a support or TNR group can be very helpful here. Neighborhoodcats.org may be able to help you with advice and online resource materials (find their downloadable TNR handbook under Resources). TCS has the best of both worlds. And mainly, your immediate access to a living suppository of knowledge and experience...that being the members of TheCatSite. Whatever it is you're after, it is here. Sometimes you may have "Use the FORCE!" by pressing a boot to their foreheads, and using a crowbar to pry it out of their mouths...like pulling molars. :flail::hyper::lolup::insertevillaugh:

I happened across a news story a few months ago, of a retired veteran who was spending considerable time and effort to care for cat colonies. I think his story really became public when someone started a GoMeFund for him. The fund not only generated money to help him feed and care for the colonies, but it also enable him to replace the worn out pickup truck he was using to travel to various colony locations. I hope that when you read about his story, you will not only find some helpful ideas, but also the inspiration and determination to not give up or allow this mantle to become to great for you. This Retired Veteran Has Been Taking Care of Connecticut’s Feral Cats for Over 20 Years. This story I believe made national news, so there should be other sources for it besides the link I provided.

You should not be carrying this alone. Feral cat colonies is a community issue. When you enlist the help of others, seek out those with a like mind in caring for feral cats and for animals, and avoid those who might undermine your goals or express the desire that euthanizing the colony is only option. Neighborhood Cat's TNR Handbook covers this and explains why it does not work.

Wishing you a safe and Happy New Year and the best that life can bring for your love, strength and kindness towards these beautiful and wonderful creatures. :goodluck::goldstar:
There has been a colony of ferals around for as long as anyone can remember (50+ years or more) and so it will continue even after I die, I am sure. I took over the colony when a group that had been caring for them dissolved and the cats were starving, reproducing, fighting..it was awful. So, I stepped in. When I finished trapping and neutering there was a population of around 50, and that has held steady since then (about 20 years ago.) I lose a few to predators, or old age every year, but usually two or more join the colony each year, so I am holding steady at around 50. I was down to around 34 just before the pregnant newcomer moved in and had one litter after another adding 16 which took me back up to 50.
I was actually thinking I might have a few years of not having to care for more than 10 or so, but that was not to be.
I've researched for every option I can think of, or has been suggested on this site, with no luck. Now that I am working full time in a job that is so physically demanding I am, frankly, too tired to do much of anything extra.
But, I hope everyone will continue to offer suggestions in case there is an idea I haven't tried. I haven't reached out to Alley Cat, but I will do that next week on a day off.
Thanks again for responding.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did see the article about the veteran, and thought how wonderful it was that he got help. I keep hoping I might have that luck some day!! If anyone knows of a patron saint who would like to help, please let me know!.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did see the article about the veteran, and thought how wonderful it was that he got help. I keep hoping I might have that luck some day!! If anyone knows of a patron saint who would like to help, please let me know!.
I do have a Go Fund Me account. I tried once before to upload the link but couldn't make it happen. I have a computer wiz friend and I am going to ask him to help with it so I can post the information here.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take care of several large colonies and know how hard it can be. Even so, you, my friend, are a saint. There are very few people like you in this world and that's a real tragedy.

Please get someone to help you set up your GoFundMe page and then leave the link here. Many of us would try to help you.