I'm Unexpectedly Having To Move! (sorry, Long Post)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! Thanks Miki! Well, we usually end up going to one of our favorite places Cape Fear Seafood, & they make the best mojitos I've ever had! It's my favorite summer "drink," so I am looking forward to all of that!
When I got home this afternoon, my dad came & picked up the 5 boxes I packed yesterday, & took them to storage. I also stopped by Lowe's & picked up a plastic mattres cover for my bed to protect it in the move. I put all the stuff in the Good will box & added more to it today. I also washed my comforter & changed sheets. Now, I am going to vacuum & steam mop.
Then....shower, eat & relax!!
Hope you all have a good weekend!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning, I thought I'd post a quick update before getting ready for work today. Lots if of packing still going on, since it's just me doing it all. I've just been beyond exhausted. Working every morning/ aftn, - then coming home to pack more. I try to stop by 6:00ish to eat & relax for the evening, but don't always. Last night I went until 7:30, so by time I got my shower, I didn' sit down to eat until 8:30! As tied as I was, I did get a lot done though. All the glasses, & mugs pkd up, more stuff from the living RM, & more kitchen stuff like the blender, Tupper Ware, dish towels (w/ exception of leaving a couple out), pot holders too. I'm stopping by Walmart today for more tape & bubble wrap. I can't believe how much I've gone through!!
May also go ahead & get a couple of under the bed storage bxs. Then the dollar store for someore storage stuff, like drawer dividers, shoe boxes, etc... I stopped by my parents sat. W/ measurements of all my stuff to try & map out the room, it's going to be tight! Especially having the litter box in there as well. The movers are coming on the 28th, & it's coming fast! Then after they are done taking the big stuff to storage, my Brother-in-law is taking off early to help my dad load up my room to take to the house.
I'll keep Sammie here until I set it up as quick as possible, then come get her. I will give her some gabapentin to help. My vet has been super supportive, as usual.
Here's just what I've pkd in the last 2 days.
IMG_20180618_184307070_LL.jpg
IMG_20180618_184313088_LL.jpg

I'll be doing more today.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, just taking a little break for a quick minute. Still going at it. Sorting, cleaning, & packing is constant! My dad & I making runs to storage. Boy will I be glad when this is all over! Sammie is doing ok, considering. Still eating, pooping, peeing. Knock wood, don't want to jinx any of that!!
I stopped letting her go out on her own on last Tues. She is usually really good about staying close by. She is usually up on the porch waiting for me when I get home from wrk in the afternoon. Usually anytime between 1-3, depending on where I was that day. Well, I had kept her in a lot because of so many summer pop up storms, & had kept her in Mon. The day before because we were supposed to get one. So Tues, I thought I'll go ahead & let her out for the morning, because I was going to be home by 1:00. Then I can bring her in before it gets too hot. Well....of course she wasn't here when I got home. I tried calling her, but she didn't come. I've learned not to do it too much, or she'll just stay away longer, knowing if I'm calling her, it's to come in. So that little booger didn't show up until after 5:00! I wasn't too worried, I knew she would, but it was hot & I didn't want her out there. I know she was probably in the little wooded area behind the house, at least in the shade. So....after that no more out for her, w/ o me that is. Worring about her is the last thing I need right now. Plus, it's been so hot, we've been under a heat advisory. I've taken her out about a couple times this WK on her new harness. Of course she doesn't like it. Will only walk a few steps then lay down. You can tell she's mad. Lol, poor girl. "I'm just a mean 'ol mommy!". She's going to have to get used to it. I also figured better to go ahead & start keeping her in the last 2 wks here that before we get to my parents.
Here's are some pucpictui took today off her. I've got to go for now, "the princess is calling me for her dinner!"
IMG_20180623_123246033.jpg
IMG_20180623_124234929.jpg
IMG_20180623_123256721.jpg
"Sassah kittah"

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, just taking a little break for a quick minute. Still going at it. Sorting, cleaning, & packing is constant! My dad & I making runs to storage. Boy will I be glad when this is all over! Sammie is doing ok, considering. Still eating, pooping, peeing. Knock wood, don't want to jinx any of that!!
I stopped letting her go out on her own on last Tues. She is usually really good about staying close by. She is usually up on the porch waiting for me when I get home from wrk in the afternoon. Usually anytime between 1-3, depending on where I was that day. Well, I had kept her in a lot because of so many summer pop up storms, & had kept her in Mon. The day before because we were supposed to get one. So Tues, I thought I'll go ahead & let her out for the morning, because I was going to be home by 1:00. Then I can bring her in before it gets too hot. Well....of course she wasn't here when I got home. I tried calling her, but she didn't come. I've learned not to do it too much, or she'll just stay away longer, knowing if I'm calling her, it's to come in. So that little booger didn't show up until after 5:00! I wasn't too worried, I knew she would, but it was hot & I didn't want her out there. I know she was probably in the little wooded area behind the house, at least in the shade. So....after that no more out for her, w/ o me that is. Worring about her is the last thing I need right now. Plus, it's been so hot, we've been under a heat advisory. I've taken her out about a couple times this WK on her new harness. Of course she doesn't like it. Will only walk a few steps then lay down. You can tell she's mad. Lol, poor girl. "I'm just a mean 'ol mommy!". She's going to have to get used to it. I also figured better to go ahead & start keeping her in the last 2 wks here that before we get to my parents.
Here's are some pucpictui took today off her. I've got to go for now, "the princess is calling me for her dinner!"
View attachment 238298 View attachment 238299 View attachment 238300 "Sassah kittah"
I'm glad she took so readily to the harness. Gypsy did a lot of flopping at first and even now, although she also saunters, the hooman on the end of the leash spends a lot of the time just standing while her Highness lolls and sniffs.
Otsd.jpg Post.jpg Eyes.jpg Sun.jpg

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! Thanks guys. YES, LOT'S of stuff!!
But..I've thrown a lot away as well as taken quite a few trips to good will. I just went through my little shed & have another med box ready to take there.
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 , at least Gypsy is walking on her leash & going about. Sammie just lays there, like "why is this thing on me, & why are you trying to follow me?!"
She'll take about 3-4 steps or walk about a foot, then lay down again. She's mad her independence has been taken away.
I even brought her in some grass from where she likes to eat it, since she hasn't been interested in the cat grass lately. I'll start her some more when we get settled.
She's been munching on it, so I brought her in some more just now.
We had a little"incident" this morning. We were just at the bottom of the steps & my neighbor was out w/ their dog, she's a small cutie, long & short likely a Dotson, but long wirery golden hair like a terrier, so I think she must be a mix of the two. Anyway, she loves to run over & say hi to me, so I saw her coming & picked up Sammie. She was ok until I started up the stairs & she followed. Well Sammie freaked out, trying to get away, & scratched the side of my face & ear good, so I instinctually dropped her & she went up a couple more steps hissing, rearing back, then I picked her up & brought her in, she ran under the bed, leash & all, & I felt blood dripping down my face!
I got cleaned up, & thank goodness she didn't actually scratch me, but we're just punctures. About 3 on the side if my face as well as one just in the hairline by my ear & the worst was a scratch to my ear. That one bled the longest. Being on daily low dose asprin doesn't help w/ bleeding. I managed to pull her our from under the bed after giving her a few minutes to calm down, & I gave her a gabapentin! I am cutting those nails today!! I've needed to, but she won't let me, so hopefully now I can.
So, needless to say, after how much I've been doing, I am done for the day!! I need to rest. Especially my low back. I have to work tomorrow...
IMG_20180624_090237500.jpg
IMG_20180624_122820245.jpg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
But..I've thrown a lot away as well as taken quite a few trips to good will. I just went through my little shed & have another med box ready to take there.
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 , at least Gypsy is walking on her leash & going about. Sammie just lays there, like "why is this thing on me, & why are you trying to follow me?!"
She'll take about 3-4 steps or walk about a foot, then lay down again. She's mad her independence has been taken away.
I even brought her in some grass from where she likes to eat it, since she hasn't been interested in the cat grass lately. I'll start her some more when we get settled.
We had a little"incident" this morning. We were just at the bottom of the steps & my neighbor was out w/ their dog, she's a small cutie, long & short likely a Dotson, but long wirery golden hair like a terrier, so I think she must be a mix of the two. Anyway, she loves to run over & say hi to me, so I saw her coming & picked up Sammie. She was ok until I started up the stairs & she followed. Well Sammie freaked out, trying to get away, & scratched the side of my face & ear good, so I instinctually dropped her & she went up a couple more steps hissing, rearing back, then I picked her up & brought her in, she ran under the bed, leash & all, & I felt blood dripping down my face!
I got cleaned up, & thank goodness she didn't actually scratch me, but we're just punctures. About 3 on the side if my face as well as one just in the hairline by my ear & the worst was a scratch to my ear. That one bled the longest. Being on daily low dose asprin doesn't help w/ bleeding. I managed to pull her our from under the bed after giving her a few minutes to calm down, & I gave her a gabapentin! I am cutting those nails today!! I've needed to, but she won't let me, so hopefully now I can.
So, needless to say, after how much I've been doing, I am done for the day!! I need to rest. Especially my low back. I have to work tomorrow...
View attachment 238426 View attachment 238427
Thank goodness she missed your eye. Nice that she allowed you to pick her up. She will do more moving around as she gets used to the harness.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was thinking the same!! That would not have been good!!
I just pulled her out from under the bed & did her nails. She screemed, & fussed for first two, so I stopped & gave her a moment. Telling her mommy wasn't going to hurt her. Then I was able to quickly do them ALL!!!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jen! :hugs:

I've got a load of laundry in the dryer, I'll throw the shower curtain & sheers in the living room in later or tomorrow.
Just finished my shower , put lots of arnica on my back, & I am off to take a nap!!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 238426 View attachment 238427
What does the gabbapentin do for Sammie? I take it for back pain from stenosis. If it calms them I should give it to my kitty before the cat in the neighborhood comes around at night. He gets my kitty all upset, throwing himself at the window and side panel of the front door. I don't know what to do to get him to stop coming around.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does the gabbapentin do for Sammie? I take it for back pain from stenosis. If it calms them I should give it to my kitty before the cat in the neighborhood comes around at night. He gets my kitty all upset, throwing himself at the window and side panel of the front door. I don't know what to do to get him to stop coming around.
It's to help calm. The "kitty xanex" that I had for her before didn't work that well.
I can't remember the name, but it started w/ an "A"'." The vet told me that they (studies) were finding that it didn't metabolize well in cats, so the gabapentin has been a better replacement.
As for your kitty, I've seen some of the same issues on episodes of "My Cat From Hell." and Jackson had them put motion sensor lights up, as well as cans of the scat away I think it's called, around the parameter. This way it scares the "intruder" off before getting too close. You may want to try that & see what happens. (& if you have a fence, sealing up any small holes a cat can enter through.) I'd be careful about giving your meds to the cat. Even though it's the same, the milligrams may be different. It's not too expensive from the vets, & chicken flavor. (which doesn't matter because I put some pill pocket around it to go down better anyway, followed w/ a little water from a syringe in her cheek.
I believe it was $13.00 for 10 pills. 40 msg.
I hope you can get the other cat to stay away w/ some of those ideas. It's never a good thing to have a cat stressed by another one coming into it's territory, & you definitely don't want to be giving meds to your cat every night, that's for sure!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So here's a question for you guys, how long do you think I should keep her in my room, before letting her out to explore?
....and, when I do, I'll shut my parents bdrm door, as well as guest rm/ office, so it only leaves the hall w/ bthrm, & then kitchen & living room at end of the hall.
If she hides under my bed for a while, I was going to go on her quue, when she comes out & ask to go out at the bdrm door, but what if she cries at the door right off the bat?? I don't want to overwhelm her. I also thought about letting her out in the house for the first time when my parents are out, then again later when all settled down/ in for the evening.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I adopted Ruby, I hadn't yet found TCS, and didn't know you were supposed to give a cat a "safe room" when you brought them to a new home. So I simply opened the cat carrier door, and luckily for me, Ruby wandered through the house like she'd been here her whole life.

Now I know the "rules" I'm not sure how I'd do things. You've probably already read them, but here's the TCS articles on moving with cats, just in case there's something helpful.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama , Thank you. Yes, I think I've read that, or similar ones before.
Both Angel & Sammie as well, the first time they came in the house, they did the same. Walked around, looked around, then laid down on the floor like no big deal, just checking things out. ... But they both "adopted me," after hanging out on the porch for a while, then being let in.
They wanted to come in. I plan on giving my parents one of the diffusers tomorrow to put in my room, & close the door, so it will be in there good, for when we get there Thursday.
Thurs. Morning, Sammie will be kept in my room when the movers come to take the furniture to storage. Then in the afternoon, my dad & brother in law will take my bed & things in the bedroom, so I will then put her in the office. I will follow over to get our room set up before bringing her over. The only thing I hate about that is everything will be gone by then, furniture wise, so she'll be in an empty room here, while I'm over setting up. I could leave a bed, but I have 3 & she doesn't use them... So I'll probably leave her blankies for her to lay on. (& Of course her food, water, & litter box will be w/ her).
Then once room is set up, I'll come BK for her & we'll settle in for our first night there. :/
Then, I hate to leave her alone in the room/ new place so soon, but I will have to, come BK & do a little cleaning Friday.
It shouldn't take too long. I'm not busting my butt if he's just going to tear up the bathroom anyway... But I BETTER get my deposit BK after all I've done, that's for sure!
So that's the plan. I'll just have to see how she does, weather hide under the bed for a while, or whine to go out at the bedroom door. If she does, I may just tell her no for the first day or two. She will be on gabapentin Thursday anyway, so we'll see..... She may be on it for a couple of days & go from there.