I'm Depressed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Paxil once a long time ago, but I forget what it did to me that I had to quite. The one that helped me was Effexor XL, but I had such a horrible time getting off it I'll never take it again, no matter how bad I get. I'm taking Wellbutrin at the moment. It doesn't work any where near as well as the Effexor did, but it helps with my OCD issues. I don't even take it every day.

I hope you can find one that works for you. Don't give up. It's good you have a doctor who listens to you!
I'm on Celexa now. I *think* it's starting to kick in, not really sure.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suffered from depression for 11 years which was nearly the entirety of my 20s. It's hard to recognize that you need to make changes but you don't know how and you don't know if you even can. Start doing one thing each day that you didn't do the day before. Eat a piece of fruit, brush your teeth, shower. When I was depressed I would go over a week without showering and over a month without brushing my teeth, so the days I did those things made me feel like I had at least done one bit of self-care. During the lowest points of my depression I was sleeping all day and staying up all night and doctors frequently told me I needed to regulate my sleep schedule but I didn't believe them. On my 29th birthday I made myself stop staying up all night and I haven't since. It was 3 months later that I felt I could say that my depression was finally in remission. If you find yourself isolating yourself to one room in your home, move to a different area. For me I was in my bedroom for 23 out 24 hours of the day (I was also unemployed and living with my parents), but I started to use my computer in the living room instead of in bed. Even if I was still the only one in the house, it felt good to have a small change of scenery.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I applaud you for being brave enough to get on here and be so open and raw about what you're feeling. That can be very hard to do, I know. :hearthrob::redheartpump:

I have found more caring and understanding, kind people on this site since I joined a couple of months ago than what I have in my "real life" relationships. They're amazing....

I personally have Thyroid issues, and my TSH always come back "with in normal range". A few people have noted to get a doc that will dig deeper and do more testing. (TSH, T3 and T4 levels) Your Thyroid can cause so much of what you are describing. :vibes:

Clinical depression can sneak up on you as well. We're all here for you, and a lot of us can totally relate to what your posting.

I just wanted to say Hello and send ya some love!! Kris:heartshape:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother says the Celexa must be kicking in, because she's noticed a difference in my demeanor. I'd love to know what it is she's seeing, because right now I don't want to get out of bed for anything.

On top of the depression, I discovered that I've been low on iron for a year. My last doctor never bothered to mention it to me, but my current one has put me on a supplement, as well as one for Vitamin D and a multivitamin. Depression + low iron=disaster.

ETA-maybe "put me on" isn't the right way to put it. He said my iron is extremely low, but not quite low enough for me to be considered anemic, so he can't really prescribe iron. These are just his recommendations, and I see no reason to not follow them.

Last edited:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suffering from insomnia, but otherwise okay right now.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm having nightly insomnia, which I know is connected to the Celexa. Googling it, I found others with the same problem, but they say it was only temporary. I hope so.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are having this side effect from the Celexa. is it possible to call your doctor and ask if he/she can lower the dose? Fingers crossed it is only temporary and you have sweet dreams soon. :crossfingers:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm already on the lowest dose. I've gotten so little sleep in the past year, I'm hoping I've reached the nadir. No way to go but up!

Luckybny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there dont give up before the miracle happens...i struggle with depression every day as well. i have to force myself to think positive thoughts n things im grateful for. making a gratitude list works to change our depression. i admit its very hard work and some days are bad and i just quit the day and myself, such is the cycle of depression. i have books that have helped tremendously and found faith being a christian now which is life altering and awakening plus i attended celebrate recovery for years thru my church which is a life saver. i am going to start counseling again as my psychiatrist said im flat n not improving even tho im on meds probably cuz of having no counseling for a few months due to financial reasons. get the book mind over mood i started it and its so great!! cognitive therapy about how our emotions drive our thoughts and sometimes they are not rational. im hoping you and me both feel better and good luck...

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's never been mentioned for some reason.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find the only thing that helps me out of feeling low is to find something, anything, that you enjoy doing, or enjoyed in the past, and look forward to doing it. Even if it is just a walk in a beautiful park, or around the block. Help socialize kittens at your local shelter, (nobody can be sad around kittens!) help out at a preschool daycare, most churches have them too, and see the world differently, through an innocent's eyes. The more I force myself to physically get involved in things, the better I feel. Or at least it helps me to forget for a while. :) My cats have helped me through some pretty rough times. I was forced to care for them, and they 'forced' me to see how much they live for the moment, their absolute joy in being alive.
You have friends here, we are all together in our love for cats, it helps to unload on those who understand and care. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My doctor put me on Zoloft about 6 months ago for anxiety and it has been very effective. I had some mild side effects for a couple of weeks - headaches and tiredness - but it wasn't bad and they went away. I've seen a huge decrease in my anxiety and feel so much better now.

Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the medication that works best for you. The first one I tried was Lexapro and I had a lot of side effects and had to stop taking it.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking about maybe quitting my job. I'm not happy there anymore.

I don't know what to do.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't quit yet, look around first and have one waiting. As Kitty Mommy Kitty Mommy said, sometimes it takes a while or trying many to find the perfect fit with meds. Don't do something that will affect your life without thinking it through. I am 62 years old and now enjoying a great retirement because of a good job. I have worked many jobs I didn't like, but they paid the bills. You don't need more anxiety that comes with unemployment, the hassles of that, the depression that comes with not finding another good job right away,and not knowing if there will be enough money to pay the bills coming in. I urge you to tell your Dr. about the feelings you are having.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother's telling me to wait too. I guess I should. I'll already be going to class several days a week, maybe that change in routine will be enough.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure I'm old enough to be your mother! :sigh: Listen to experience, sometimes we know what we are talking about because we have already been there!

hemlock91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just chiming in... I have had depression since I was a kiddo. Both celexa and zoloft gave me super restless legs and arms and I couldn't sleep. Effexor was the best for me. That and a combination of weekly therapy. I still have problems though. I am not on anything now and haven't been to therapy on a while. This is because I doNT have health insurance.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hemlock91 hemlock91 , thank you for 'chiming' in, it truly helps to know you aren't alone and to share info. I have a 6500 deductible and pay almost half my retirement for health insurance, I understand where you are coming from. It's still worth retiring early though, my sanity is much less stressed. I have my health, my life, my husband and my cats, what more could I ask for? Except turning 65 and going on medicare to relieve my financial strain. Except that would be wishing part of my life away. :dunno: