I'm Depressed

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thankful you guys put up with me. I feel like I've been worsening in the last week or so. This feels endless.
Katie M Katie M , quite the contrary, I am always delighted when I see you on the site! You are among friends here, good times and bad. I think you have something about the movies. I am diagnosed with depression and I've always been amazed at the relief of watching a movie can be. My favorite is Arsenic and Old Lace, it is just so pleasant that my mind just melts with it. Will you have a follow-up visit with the doctor? I just wanted to let you know you are among very caring and supportive members who also struggle along the way at various times, well, I'm trying to say, I really value you being on this site.:hugs:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Some that are really good for a laugh are Father Goose, Operation Petticoat, and Arsenic and Old Lace.
Another vote for Arsenic & Old Lace, I can watch it over and over. :thumbsup: Have you ever seen The Ghost & Mrs. Muir? It was released in 1947 and stars Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. It's part drama, part fantasy and once you start watching you'll be glued to the tv. It's another favorite of mine and I hope it will take your mind off sadder times for an hour or two. :hugs: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another vote for Arsenic & Old Lace, I can watch it over and over. :thumbsup: Have you ever seen The Ghost & Mrs. Muir? It was released in 1947 and stars Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. It's part drama, part fantasy and once you start watching you'll be glued to the tv. It's another favorite of mine and I hope it will take your mind off sadder times for an hour or two. :hugs: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Yes I have seen The Ghost and Mrs Muir. Its another really good one! They used to really know how to make movies.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the characters in Arsenic and Old Lace are what I would call "ridiculously delightful". They just keep going on so ridiculously, and that movie goes at a nice pace, you just get lost for a couple hours.

Have you seen Life With Father? Or The Andy Hardy Series? Those are delightful. Oh, I miss my Turner Classic Movie Channel!:disappointed:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I miss TCM too. I watch so little TV, it would feel like a huge waste of money.
Me too, I hardly watch tv and it would be better for me to buy the DVDs from the TCM website. Although I would probably buy the whole of 1930s and 1940s movies.:think:

Katie M Katie M , I so much agree with Kitty Mommy Kitty Mommy , that is, sharing your pain makes it easier to cope. It is like a burden lifted for me when I can connect with someone that things aren't going right. Just to get that out is a relief. You have friends among us here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It turns out the reason I was worsening was because the Paxil was messing with my nervous system and making me extremely lethargic. The doctor has told me to stop taking it, and he'll find something else for me by my next appointment.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm feeling much better now that the medication is out of my system. I even managed to watch a movie yesterday for the first time in a long while. I'm interested to hear what my doctor says on Wednesday.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm feeling much better now that the medication is out of my system. I even managed to watch a movie yesterday for the first time in a long while. I'm interested to hear what my doctor says on Wednesday.
Those are really glod news, we will be (im)patiently waiting for you to tell us what your doctor says :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I miss TCM too. I watch so little TV, it would feel like a huge waste of money.
It turns out the reason I was worsening was because the Paxil was messing with my nervous system and making me extremely lethargic. The doctor has told me to stop taking it, and he'll find something else for me by my next appointment.
Oh, I feel for you.. I hope you weaned off of the Paxil, slowly.. a fast ending would cause withdrawal symptoms.. not something you would want..

There are a lot of anti-depressants around.. You doctor, hopefully, a psychiatrist, can help you find a good one.. Lexapro did wonders for me..

Having a psychiatrist is not a blot on you life. It is good for you.. It is so much easier.. they can talk to you, understand you, and prescribe the appropriate medication, to your OWN specificities..
((HUGS))

As far as Turner Classic Networks go: Did you know that if you get an Amazon Fire Stick, the TCM channel is INCLUDED in the price of the Firestick!!
This is awesome!!!

I set up my FireStick, a couple weeks ago. I am currently thinking eliminating
the TCM/Sports programming package from my Comcast Line-up..
This would save me $10 a month.. does not sound like much; however, when you are on a limited income, it means the world..

After research, over the past few weeks, the line ups of movies are the same!!
That means, all you have to do with the FireStick is download TCM.. scroll through what is offered that particular week and month...and you are all set.. It is the exact same program availability as that of Comcast.. but without the extra price..
The only issue is: you have to literally LOOK at what is offered, compared with Comcast, where you can look at the daily feeds.. The ON DEMAND is the same as the Amazon FireStick...

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I feel for you.. I hope you weaned off of the Paxil, slowly.. a fast ending would cause withdrawal symptoms.. not something you would want..

There are a lot of anti-depressants around.. You doctor, hopefully, a psychiatrist, can help you find a good one.. Lexapro did wonders for me..

Having a psychiatrist is not a blot on you life. It is good for you.. It is so much easier.. they can talk to you, understand you, and prescribe the appropriate medication, to your OWN specificities..
((HUGS))

As far as Turner Classic Networks go: Did you know that if you get an Amazon Fire Stick, the TCM channel is INCLUDED in the price of the Firestick!!
This is awesome!!!

I set up my FireStick, a couple weeks ago. I am currently thinking eliminating
the TCM/Sports programming package from my Comcast Line-up..
This would save me $10 a month.. does not sound like much; however, when you are on a limited income, it means the world..

After research, over the past few weeks, the line ups of movies are the same!!
That means, all you have to do with the FireStick is download TCM.. scroll through what is offered that particular week and month...and you are all set.. It is the exact same program availability as that of Comcast.. but without the extra price..
The only issue is: you have to literally LOOK at what is offered, compared with Comcast, where you can look at the daily feeds.. The ON DEMAND is the same as the Amazon FireStick...
Oh, I know there's no shame in having a psychiatrist. In fact, my first therapy session is directly after my doctor's appointment.

As far as the Paxil goes, I was on the lowest dose, and the nurse told me to just stop taking it, that I didn't need to wean off such a low amount.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie,

I take Effexor and it was the best thing for my depression and also helps with the pain from RSD.
I was diagnosed with clinical depression in 1982. It has been a battle but I'm still here. Last year
I started coloring when I get down and it really helps. Amazon has nice coloring books for adults.

Hang in,

Hugs, Mia :grouphug2:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with Celexa? My doctor decided on that, saying that it's more stimulating than Paxil, so there shouldn't be any issue with lethargy.

He's also going to see about getting me a cortisone shot for my back pain.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie M Katie M , my mother had depression for a long time, and it affected her in different ways as she got older. Once she hit menopause (or, it hit her?) her needs changed, so she told me. There are many resources, including Consumer Reports, which has a number of surveys that some find helpful.

Watching Mom, I realize that one size does not fit all, and that treatment is a lifelong thing. What worked in 1979 didn't so well in 1999.

I share this, in the hope that it helps you or anyone who needs it. In 1999, she asked me to tell others about her troubles in the hope it might help them.

One thing that helped Mom hugely was helping others with the trouble. She once averted a suicide by a lovely young lady, just by being there, a soft, sympathetic shoulder.

Hope you continue to feel better, but be alert, as Mom would say.

Last edited:

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Katie,

I take Effexor and it was the best thing for my depression and also helps with the pain from RSD.
I was diagnosed with clinical depression in 1982. It has been a battle but I'm still here. Last year
I started coloring when I get down and it really helps. Amazon has nice coloring books for adults.

Hang in,

Hugs, Mia :grouphug2:
Coloring has helped me with my anxiety. I also take Zoloft which has made a world of difference for me. Don't worry, your doctor will find the right one that works for you.