Ibd / Digestive Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet called to let me know that the prescriptions were sent in. Tuna chew treats for the omeprazole and capsules for the clarithromycin. He also got back the blood work results. All is normal except for BUN which is slightly over the normal range and higher than the result from the last blood work done on Jan. 16. That could explain why Leroy is drinking so much water. I'm still blaming the pred for the increased thirst and hunger because none of it started until after Leroy started pred:angrywoman:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
At least you got the scripts in, and got the blood test results. Is the Vet having you repeat them?

I have to take Artie in next week, or even the week after, because his last blood test showed a slightly elevated creatinine. He has to also have a urine test done..
It just never ends...:sigh:

Is the Vet in, next week? I was told that he was at a week-long conference. Wonder if the conference is on site or off site..

Artie did not have that affect from the pred. Never had increased thirst or excessive peeing.
We all know about his appetite issues. The pred never increased his appetite. I wish it would. :bat:

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's away for 5 days starting tomorrow. So he will be back on Thursday He will definitely be in on Friday because Leroy still has an appointment scheduled. I'm not sure how often vet wants blood work done.

$118 for meds :eek2: The chew treats were the most expensive. I supposed I could have just gotten the capsules and wrapped pill dough around it :ohwell:

Leroy is more than willing to share some of his appetite with Artie;)

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes!!!! so expensive!!! :noway: but we will do anything for our babies... :gaah:

Yes, please ask Leroy to be generous and share :cheerleader:

I should go.. power keeps going on and off..

:sleep::sleep2:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy might be feeling a tiny bit better today? :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: He's under the bed covers contemplating the world or whatever it is he does under there. He hasn't done that in a a few weeks.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
That is good news!! :yess: Yes, :yess:
Contemplating life is a good thing. :cheerleader: Artie does that in his tent.

:worship: hopefully this is a trend which will continue..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy didn't stay under the covers for long:sigh: He got up, walked around a bit, and then proceeded to crouch and stare for awhile. The he went to a corner and stared at the corner before curling up for awhile. He's crouching on the desk now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Leroy might be feeling a tiny bit better today?
Leroy didn't stay under the covers for long:sigh:
DRAT! And I got my hopes up for a minute, but...it does seem as if he had just a little respite, and sometimes that can recharge the batteries for the Long Fight. Sending lots of :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:and a :crossfingers: that this is the case. OH, and :hugs::hugs::hugs:to you both!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, It has been a few days.. just wondering how Leroy is doing? If he is responding to the new medications..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing new. Leroy's not improving but he's not getting worse either:ohwell: I haven't gotten the Wedgewood Pharmacy meds yet. Maybe today?

I started probiotics yesterday. I mixed them into Leroy's food, completely forgetting that probiotics should be given well before or after antibiotics:doh: Today I'm going to mix the probiotic into Leroy's bedtime snack, 5 hours after dinner and amoxicillin. S. boulardi is fine being given at the same time as antibiotics so I mixed about 1/4 capsule with breakfast this morning. Another 1/4 capsule will be with dinner. I don't want to give too much S. boulardi at once. I haven't started digestive enzymes yet but maybe in a few days if Leroy doesn't have reaction to the probiotics and S. boulardi.

Vet is in tomorrow and Saturday if I need him. He wants a weight on Leroy next week. I can do that at home. Just need to get a cheap bathroom scale from Target this weekend.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Is Leroy still having soft poop? Is that the reason for the S. Boulardi, and the pro/pre bionics? and the digestive enzymes. Just wondering.. thinking about if any of it would be good for Artie. I would love him to put on 5-8 more ounces.

It is so frustrating.. I guess it takes about a week or so to get stuff from Wedgwood.
That is what I thought. It is a shame that it takes so long.

At least Leroy is stable.. no change is good, sometimes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
S. boulardi and digestive enzymes are supposed to be helpful for IBD, according to the Raw Feeding For IBD Cats web site. There's growing evidence that probiotics are beneficial when used in combination with dietary and drug therapy for gastrointestinal disease, as discussed in this 2012 Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery article http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.864.4840&rep=rep1&type=pdf If the normal gut bacteria is affected by the IBD, adding probiotics can be helpful. Vet is fine with me using probiotics and digestive enzymes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, as I've learned from Artie and artiemom artiemom , with this horrid disease, you just keep trying stuff until you find what works! Let us know how Leroy does on them. I'll want to file it away for future reference...although, being me, I'd be just as likely to tag you to comment!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I was thinking of changing up Artie's probiotic.. but the last time I did that, it backfired in a huge pooparama day. I think I will stay with the Proviable.. and not tempt fate.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you try a very low CFU probiotic on Artie? Sometimes you have to start very low and slowly work your way up.

Leroy is handling the probiotics and S. boulardii just fine. I'm even giving Emma probiotics, just 1/4 capsule twice a day. Leroy gets the other other half of the capsule with his snack. I'll hold off on giving digestive enzymes until Tuesday. If Leroy has issues, the vet will be in.

No change with Leroy. He's still boney and crouching but otherwise stable. He took an actual nap on the counter stool today:eek:
The Wedgewood Pharmacy meds still haven't arrived.
weather. I called Wedgewood and was told that one medicine was supposed to arrive today (it hadn't) and the other one is supposed to arrive next Monday. USPS tracking still says the one package is still in transit today. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. I plan to accost the mail man in the lobby if I have to ;) If neither package arrives by Monday, Wedgewood will work something out. Another storm is forecast for Monday, too:gaah: The woman I talked to was really really nice and helpful:agree:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have much to add to the medical discussion but wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and Leroy and wishing you both all the best. Also sympathizing with you over medication that doesn't arrive when it's due - oh, have I been there! :censored:

Sending vibes to the USPS :vibes::vibes::vibes:"deliver Leroy's meds first...deliver Leroy's meds first...deliver Leroy's meds first...deliver Leroy's meds first...deliver Leroy's meds first...deliver Leroy's meds first..."

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
USPS says the package will arrive today. It's marked as "arrived" at the post office the next town over (no idea why. There's a post office right in town:headscratch:) as of 6:40am. Hopefully it'll get on the mail truck soon. I know the mail truck doesn't get here until mid afternoon. I still plan to accost the mail person and get my package. Depending on who the mail person is, packages and mail may end up in the wrong mailboxes :angrywoman: