Ibd / Digestive Issues

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad the Vet returned your call. He must have been really busy.

How is Leroy today?

@jcat had great ideas about the liverwurst and the cheese. Artie loves monetary jack cheese.

I was looking at the products. I think the second one, GooFur sounds really promising.

The premise sounds like laxatone. I know I tried to give Artie that, for a while. It was a
sticky mess all over the place. I still have chunk of it on a 6 plug surge protector.. yup, just up and dried up.. nothing took it off.

Artie would just refuse to take it, or shake it off his leg, or worse still, just walk around with the laxatone dripping down his leg..

Leroy sounds as if he would like something like this.. however, I think you would have to change things up, because he sounds smart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The prednisolone is definitely making Leroy hungry and peeing a lot:rolleyes: Hopefully we can eventually drop the dose down to once a day :crossfingers:

Leroy went nuts for the liver pill dough. He tried to eat my fingers too:eek: The Cerenia was put into the pill dough. The prednisolone I tried in a capsule and then wrapped the capsule in a bit of the dough. Leroy didn't like the capsule very much. He kept spitting it out:doh: I'll keep the capsules on hand for future use. Fingers crossed that the "liver" isn't going to cause a flare up:crossfingers: The fish flavored dough is on it's way.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Glad the liver paste is working at getting Leroy to take his med!!! fingers crossed it continues! and does not cause an upset.

Artie takes the steroid only once a day. I will have to remember the liver dough, just to store in what is left of my brain cells...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
FYI, The Vet will be in on Tuesday. His secretary is on vacation. At least that is what I heard on the voicemail.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI, The Vet will be in on Tuesday. His secretary is on vacation. At least that is what I heard on the voicemail.

Did you? I heard that she is in the office today until 3pm and vet will be in tomorrow:headscratch: Leroy is more or less fine so I'm not worried if I don't get a call back today.

No pill dough this morning. I was half awake and Leroy was really insistent on breakfast (steroid-induced hunger) so I just popped the pill in. I need to stock up on more cans of food while I wait for the pet store to order the Raw Bites rabbit for me.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I should have clarified. You are exactly correct. Secretary will be in today, but she told me she is on vacation the rest of the week. I spoke with her, Friday morning.

Yes, Vet will be in Tuesday.

Funny, I get woken up just about every day, by Artie; however it is more poop related than food related.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No call back today but it's ok.

I gave Leroy a medallion for his post-dinner snack instead of canned. So far his tummy is happy :crossfingers:

I used just the tiniest bit of pill dough to coat the Cerenia and prednisolone before dinner. I managed to walk away with my fingers intact :p

One annoying thing about Yahoo Groups: sometimes a group is set to moderate posts from newbies until X number of posts have been made. I posted a reply to someone two days ago and it hasn't been posted to the group yet. It's still waiting to be approved by a moderator :ohwell:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Tomlyn Pill Mask dough is hydrolyzed chicken liver:gaah: So far Leroy doesn't seem affected by it:crossfingers: The fish flavored pill dough is expected to arrive by the end of the week.

Nothing new with Leroy. He's still super hungry, thirsty, and peeing a lot but that's all from the prednisolone :sigh: And he's still losing weight. He's petty boney. Emma weighs more than he does :eek:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
YIKES!!! :livid: It really makes me mad, :angrywoman: when I keep finding more and more cat food which contains chicken. It seems as if every food, unless you go into the expensive novel proteins, contain chicken. No wonder there are so many chicken allergies, among cats.. :frustrated: It is everywhere!!!

Wonder if, because the Tomlyn paste is hydrolyzed chicken, if it would make a difference.
I think the hydrolyzed proteins are easier on the digestive systems. I have to look into exactly, what hydrolyzed means.. what the process is.. not that Artie will eat this food,
Because it is not JUNK!!, but I want to know about it..

Sorry, I did not respond sooner. Monday was a pooparama around here; yesterday, I tried to enjoy the day, so I was not on line for very long. The time on line, was a quick here and there; in-between things.

I am glad the Salmon flavored paste will be in soon.

Poor Leroy. :hugs: I know exactly what you mean about him getting so skinny.
I swear the faster the poops go through him, the less both he and Artie, get to absorb the nutrients; thus the wasting away.. It is so maddening. We try to feed them appropriate food, yet it looks as if we are starving them. :alright: I absolutely hate feeling bones, ribs,
pelvis.

I do not have an answer to that. Is there anyway Leroy will be able to have more snacks?
Or give him more food at feeding time.

I never noticed the steroid reaction that you are having with Leroy. Artie did not increase his appetite; nor did he increase the amount of water he drinks.. But I do add extra water to his food.

You are doing great! This disease is so hard, frustrating to deal with. :bouquet:
I wish it was an easier fix to it..:vibes:

Hopefully, today will be a better day.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that Leroy is still losing weight. I've been gone a few days, but am back now, and keeping that candle lit!

000000000000000.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The fish pill dough came. Leroy likes it just fine. I don't like it because it's very crumbly and not very sticky:gaah: I'm debating whether to try another brand of pill dough. Vetoquinol has a "liver" flavored one. I have to find out if that's chicken or something else. Earth's Balance has a bacon flavored one with pork liver.

I can offer Leroy more food and he'll eat it but is still hungry :ohwell: How long does it take prednisolone to work? Leroy has been on it for a week now, one 4 mg tablet twice a day. He's still crouching. Flare up? Pain? I don't know. Normally he disappears under the bed covers after dinner to ponder life but now he just crouches somewhere and just watches me.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry Leroy is still crouching/meatloafing. I would think the steroid would be kicking in by now. I know when I have to take it for asthmatic bronchitis, the effect is almost instantaneous. A week should be enough time.

Do you think that everything Leroy has been through, and all the pilling is upsetting his entire scheme of things? Although, if he has the pills, wrapped in the paste, he is not knowing that it is medicine.

This is something I do not have any advice about.

Do you think Leroy is hungry because he needs some carbs in his diet? just throwing out thoughts. This disease, IBD, is so frustrating.. each time you are a step forward, you then take 3 steps back.

I do not even know if the Vet will have any ideas. He was so rushed when I briefly spoke with him, yesterday.

I thought I would check in, before I went to bed.
Artie is waiting for his nightly food. It is the Fiber Response dry.. and a bit of FF mixed with W/D... still trying to get him off the chicken /junk food.. again. He is refusing the mixture.. sigh..

These cats really do know how to get us upset.. sigh

How is Emma doing? Is she more loving, now that you are stressed about Leroy?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I missed the vet's call this morning :doh: But I also had my phone off and didn't get out of bed until not long ago because I'm exhausted:thud: He left a message saying he'll call back later.

If I can get Leroy started on digestive enzymes and probiotics, that might help. The digestive enzymes are supposed to help with nutrient absorption. I'm wary of starting anything right now and risk Leroy stop eating:paranoid: I might start right before the next appointment. I took a couple much needed days off from work and will be at home to watch Leroy.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you are trying to rest up. It is good that you are taking a couple days off.. You need the rest from work.. Too much stress between work and Leroy; also, good that Vet called you... sorry about missing the call,, but we do, what we have to do....Sleep is more important.

The Vet seems very busy.. as he always is.. but I think even busier because his secretary is on vacation.. I do not know.. just the feeling I got from talking to him earlier this week..

I know what you mean being wary about starting anything new. I feel the same way.

This obnoxious IBD means that kitties cannot absorb all the nutrients which they really need, no matter how much food they eat.. Wish there was something, anything which would clearly improve that issue.. All IBD kitties seem so thin..

Right now, I am dealing with a bald patch on Artie, and his refusal to eat the junk food with a tiny amount of good food mixed in it... He is so, so, so fussy...
He is also refusing the junk food--plain!!!

Pulling my hair out. I had to give him a Cerenia because he vomiting yesterday and this morning.. and not eating much at all..

I am going out in a bit.. If he still has not eaten, I am going to give him an appetite pill..Maybe.. maybe not.. I do not like rushing into medicating him.. but I want to catch things before they become milestones to overcome.. like newly learned, food aversion...

In some ways, I wish I could do raw, but I am really not certain if raw would even be good for Artie with the constipation issues.. sigh..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Tomlyn Pill Mask is the exact same thing as the Vetoquinol Pill Wrap. The same company makes it under different brand names:gaah: I guess I can try the Earth's Balance pork liver based pill dough:think:

The vet hasn't called back yet but he's probably in appointments right now.

Leroy has been crouching all morning:ohwell: He does walk around for a bit but then goes right back to crouching. Normal for him is to crawl under the bed covers as soon as I get up and stay there for a good part of the day.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel so helpless in the face of this. There's just nothing more I can add except I am here and I care. artiemom artiemom is probably the best person for you in the world right now. I'm so glad that the two of you have each other, and that common bond of a wonderful vet.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I do not know if I am deserving of the credit you are lavishing on me.

LTS3 LTS3 is extremely knowledgable and brilliant enough to find better sources for help.. but we both have the same issues, with our babies..

Hopefully the Vet returns your call, soon; if not already.
I find Artie does a good amount of crouching. I have come to realize that it is a normal posturing for him. If I see his tail, curled tight around him, then I know he is in pain. Then I consider it a meatloaf.
If it is out, or to the side, then I do not worry.

I also watch how close his head is in towards his body.. I know you know this..

I absolutely Despise IBD..

Perhaps Leroy needs a stronger dose of the steroid? or even a stronger or additional anti-nausea drug? Or a stronger dose of Cerenia?? Artie is taking 1/2 of a 16mg tablet, when needed.

If I remember correctly.. at the EVIL hospital, where Artie had his biopsy; they prescribed the Cerenia for only 5 days on and 2 days off-- which was the old protocol. It has been updated, since then.

On the off days, I was giving him Zofran, twice a day. I think at one point I gave him both because he was so nauseous... but not for long. And I also gave him the pepcid, daily...

However, we are at a different Vet, different protocol..

I also hate how intermingled all the food, veterinary companies are...
And now, General Mills is acquiring Blue Buffalo.. saw that today on my notice from Susan Thixon... Monopolies, all over the place...

((Hugs)) to you, Leroy and Emma..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The message the vet left this morning said he would call back. At 5pm I ended up calling and leaving him a message. He called back about 10 minutes later, asking if I had been receiving his messages:headscratch: I just saw an email his new vet tech (where's M?) sent at 3pm asking if I had received the vet's message this morning. I'm not attached to my email, not even checking it on my phone unless I know I'm expecting something.

Anyways, vet doesn't think the PU / PD is from the steroid since Leroy has only been on it for a week. He wants me to test Leroy's urine for glucose which I seriously doubt he has since his urine isn't sticky or sugary smelling. Vet must have forgotten that I used to have a diabetic cat. He is concerned with the continuing weight loss. I'm to call the secretary on Monday and schedule an appointment for that week.

Cerenia is helping with the nausea and vomiting. Leroy hasn't done either since starting the med. I'm giving it once a day.

I found a dried up partial prednisolone tablet near the base of the toilet :censored: No idea when Leroy spit it out. This morning? Yesterday? The fish pill dough is so crumbly that Leroy must be using his tongue to get the yummy dough off and spitting out the tablet :gaah: I guess I can go back to the Tomlyn dough. Leroy didn't have any issues with that being dried chicken liver based with a "bacon flavor". Or use the fish dough but add a thin layer of Tomlyn over it to hold everything together:think: