Ibd / Digestive Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Latest update is "out for delivery". I actually see the mail truck at one of the buildings of the complex next door right now. I figure the mail truck will be at my building in about an hour.

Leroy weighs 9.4 lbs. Weight is stable if still not where he should be. Normal for him is 10 lbs. The scale wouldn't register Leroy's weight with just him sitting on it (probably has a minimum weight in order to turn on and give a reading) so I had to weigh myself and then myself holding Leroy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I tried to find a Mail Fairy, but it seems they use Pony Express, which might explain things!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The package didn't arrive until 5pm:angrywoman: No idea where the mail truck went when I saw it at 12:30pm. It came back a little after 2pm and then spent the next 2 1/2 hours at the larger building of the complex next door.

The package is the clarithromycin capsules. I'm starting that tomorrow since Leroy had already eaten dinner by the time I got the package. Can I pull the capsule apart and sprinkle the powder into food?:think: Or does clarithromycin have a yucky taste so it needs to be kept in the capsule? There wasn't a chew treat option for this medicine. There is an oil suspension that the description says can be mixed with food. It looks like Leroy only needs to take clarithromycin until the bottle is empty, just 30 days. There are no refills.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think you can mix it with the food. Open one capsule gently, to see if it has a bad taste.

The mail is crazy. Sometimes packages are delivered by a separate mail truck.

Fingers crossed

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ended up giving Leroy the whole capsule this morning. It was hard to get the pill dough around the slippery capsule. A Pill Pocket would have worked but that's a :nono: for Leroy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The slippery clarithromycin capsules uses up a lot of pill dough:ohwell: I'm going to try sprinkling the powder into food next time. Or flatten a wad of pill dough, pour the powder on top, and then carefully roll up the dough:think: I have more pill dough on order. It probably won't be shipped until later this week.

The omeprazole chew treats came today. I haven't given one to Leroy yet. I didn't want to give him too meds at once. It's only given once a day so I can give it with his bedtime snack. I got 30 chew treats with no refills.

I need to ask the vet about Cerenia. Leroy hasn't been vomiting or lip smacking so he might not need Cerenia anymore:think: I was looking at the prescription label and it says to give once a day as needed. I've been giving it daily. Not sure if either the vet or the secretary will be in tomorrow because of the storm.

I'm going to hold off on adding digestive enzymes until Wednesday or so. I can't get to the vet tomorrow if Leroy has some reaction.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same orders on the cerenia; one half tablet, once daily, as needed.

FYI both the Vet and secretary will be there in Tuesday

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good to know :agree:

I don't think Leroy cared for the omeprazol chew:rolleyes: He didn't seem all that interested in it. He still ate it, though. Maybe he was disappointed that it wasn't bacon flavored:crazy: The only flavor options were chicken, fish, or beef.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Wedgewood capsules are hard to open:eek: I ended up cracking one in half to get the clarithromycin powder into Leroy's food. Leroy didn't seem to notice any difference in his food.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes.. a capsule that is hard to open!!! At least Leroy, did not notice it.. kind of a waste of money.. but that is the only way, to know if he will take to it or not.. sigh

Hopefully, you get in touch with the Vet today.. or tomorrow, at the least.

stay home, cuddle with your kitties.. if they allow you to.. it is dangerous out there.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just gave the secretary an update. She's going to pass it along to the vet and ask about the Cerenia.

Definitely a day to stay indoors and watch the snow fall:catrub:

Edit: Vet says to stop Cerenia and see if Leroy does ok without it. He's in all week if Leroy has issues.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I added a teeny bit of digestive enzyme to Leroy's breakfast this morning along with everything else he gets. So far Leroy is ok :crossfingers:

The probiotics are definitely helping with Leroy's poop - no more stinky litter box :yess:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think Leroy will eat any hydrolyzed chicken treats. The junk in them is incredible, but they are treats..

I got a bag for Artie. He walked away from them! :walk:

Thought they could be a substitute for the other treats. No way..:noway:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suppose one could also pour the powder from a capsule directly into a Pill Pocket.

I have plenty of treats for Leroy. Right now he's nuts for the Northwest Naturals freeze dried bison liver treats.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok-- I was just thinking of you. I hate to throw out a full bag of treats. The shelter will not accept an opened bag...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take it to NVet the next time you have an appointment. The exam rooms always have jars of cat and dog treats:agree: Or pass it along to someone here on TCS, maybe Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 's Hekitty? Maybe there should be a classified forum of TCS where members can post things to sell or give away :think:

I'm not sure if the digestive enzymes are having any effect on Leroy. But I'm also giving a teeny sprinkle so maybe it's just not enough to do much of anything.