I think I'm ready....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol3: In our home, THEY have taken over, period! :flail:
:lol3: yeah, mine too - they have an entire cabinet :eek:
To the op: yep - eggshells here, very successfully - they love it! As Laurie said, Lucky can't digest bone, and I stupidly gave MHCA to her :doh3: NOT good!
The others would not eat it..... I think because it was too much powder :dk:
I don't remember if Bugsy ate it - that one will eat his own moter on a platter, if served to him :rolleyes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Their stuff has taken over the butter area in the door. We don't really use butter anyway. Perfect spot and easy viewing so we don't forget.
What?  You don't use butter????  What wrong with you?
  I
butter.  (my DH says "we
people, we like food", but I say "pooey to that!" 

Anyway, as to your fresh pork, did I understand that it had NEVER been frozen?  Just asking because I believe everyone freezes their meat first for at least 3 days before serving just to kill anything that might be in it.  Ladies (and gents if there are any of you feeding raw), am I right on that? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Their stuff has taken over the butter area in the door. We don't really use butter anyway. Perfect spot and easy viewing so we don't forget.
What?  You don't use butter????  What wrong with you?
  I
butter.  (my DH says "we
people, we like food", but I say "pooey to that!" 

Anyway, as to your fresh pork, did I understand that it had NEVER been frozen?  Just asking because I believe everyone freezes their meat first for at least 3 days before serving just to kill anything that might be in it.  Ladies (and gents if there are any of you feeding raw), am I right on that? 
Oops! I will be sure to freeze going forward. They both seem to be healthy and they go to the vet Friday for their checkup. Now that I bought a lot of meat, everything will be frozen first.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:lol3: In our home, THEY have taken over, period! :flail:
Lol! One of our bedrooms is their room with all of their toys and stuff. We just sit in there, but it's theirs. Haha

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What?  You don't use butter????  What wrong with you? :lol3:   I :heart3: butter.  (my DH says "we :heart3: people, we like food", but I say "pooey to that!"  :lol2:

I know! I LOVE butter! As my mom says, I like to have a little bread with my butter. :lol3:

Actually, I don't always freeze the meat first. :anon: I know I SHOULD.... but sometimes I forgot to take something out to dethaw, and I just bought all this meat..... I don't make a habit of it, but I have definitely served them not-previously-frozen meat: chicken breast, chicken thigh, and pork. :anon:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! I LOVE butter! As my mom says, I like to have a little bread with my butter. :lol3:
Actually, I don't always freeze the meat first. :anon: I know I SHOULD.... but sometimes I forgot to take something out to dethaw, and I just bought all this meat..... I don't make a habit of it, but I have definitely served them not-previously-frozen meat: chicken breast, chicken thigh, and pork. :anon:
I don't either :lol3: Not even going to lie about it :hide:
Don't wash the meat anymore either........ :hide: :hide:

Well, here is the thing...... They never got sick from it.....
I also noticed that a lot of my meats say "This meat has been previously frozen for your safety" (when I buy defrosted)..... so.... I don't know if it is a habit of supermarket foods to freeze the meats before selling :dk:
All I know, Is that I was way, way more paranoid before....... I generally freeze the meat, just because I store it in the freezer :lol3: But I have definitely fed meat straight out of the package - right now, as I type, that's what I left for Kelly to feed, as I didn't have time to cut and prep before I left. :anon: I am pretty sure they are all going to be alive and well by the time I get home though :bigthumb:

Last edited:

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't either
Not even going to lie about it

Don't wash the meat anymore either........

Well, here is the thing...... They never got sick from it.....
I also noticed that a lot of my meats say "This meat has been previously frozen for your safety" (when I buy defrosted)..... so.... I don't know if it is a habit of supermarket foods to freeze the meats before selling

All I know, Is that I was way, way more paranoid before....... I generally freeze the meat, just because I store it in the freezer
But I have definitely fed meat straight out of the package - right now, as I type, that's what I left for Kelly to feed, as I didn't have time to cut and prep before I left.
I am pretty sure they are all going to be alive and well by the time I get home though
LOL -- The confessional thread!
JK!

I have never been a meat washer. My boyfriend and I differ on that. He grew up washing meat, I grew up not washing meat. I do think a lot of supermarkets freeze their meats when they ship because there have been many times when I go to the store and the meat dept guy is putting out new meat, and it is DEFINITELY frozen! I love it when they save "fresh, not frozen" but I have ice crystals on the meat from being frozen.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also - I forgot - I have a digestive enzyme question. How much do you give/did you give per day?

My container says 1/4 tsp per 1 cup of food. I am assuming they mean dry, so when I fed them dry, they only got 3/4 cup per day and I have been giving 1/4tsp per day, at this point.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also - I forgot - I have a digestive enzyme question. How much do you give/did you give per day?

My container says 1/4 tsp per 1 cup of food. I am assuming they mean dry, so when I fed them dry, they only got 3/4 cup per day and I have been giving 1/4tsp per day, at this point.
What brand did you get?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It says Suggested Daily Use: 1/4 tsp. Daily

Mature cats, Double.

I was using Prozyme.... I remember being between 1/16 and 1/8tsp per meal (i feed 3 meals).
I would suggest you dividing the daily amount equally per meal too, as it helps digesting that particular meal.
Also, be aware of weight gain - kitty will absorb much more nutrients from the food, I had to reduce qtys considerably when I was using enzymes.... It warned on the package though, and sure enough! :lol3:

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I probably should have read the website.
Apparently, the bottled is labeled just a tad differently. I am due to weigh them again to see where they are, but I think Esme has actually lost a teenie bit, based on feeling her belly (she could use it).

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I skipped the turkey last night for their late night meal and no vomiting! Thank goodness!

I also weighed them (after they ate, so even with food in their tummy) and they lost a little bit of weight! I am so happy because they could use a loss just a little bit more based on our old vet.

So... Esme lost 0.4lbs over the past few weeks (we have been doing the raw for about a month now) and Naku last 0.2lbs! I'm going to keep watching their weight to make sure they aren't losing too much, but I'm excited they are finally losing that last little bit of weight.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: :clap: ...both for the weight loss AND for the no vomiting!

Yep - I think most of us had at least one, if not several "back up and start over" again moments in the raw transition. :lol3:

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My order came in of beef kidney. I had to search high and low for this stuff and the grocery store said they would order it. Of course, I had to buy a case! So I now I have 12lbs of beef kidney.

Thank goodness they come individually wrapped and vacuum sealed! I just tossed them all in the freezer and I figured I would thaw one out every month, cut it and portion it based on their weekly needs and re-freeze until needed for the week.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: I backed off of the turkey and started lamb with their chicken and so far, with just the little bit, so good! :cross: Here's hoping the lamb transition goes over better than turkey. I think turkey will gets it's chance a long time from now.

So......... does anyone need kidney?

My order came in of beef kidney. I had to search high and low for this stuff and the grocery store said they would order it. Of course, I had to buy a case! So I now I have 12lbs of beef kidney. :jaw:
Thank goodness they come individually wrapped and vacuum sealed! I just tossed them all in the freezer and I figured I would thaw one out every month, cut it and portion it based on their weekly needs and re-freeze until needed for the week.
12 lbs of pee-jelly :barf: :flail: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
OMG, that's a LOT of Kidney! IMHO you should go to a BARF forum and try to trade some of that stuff..... You are not going to use that entire thing before it goes bad..... it is only 5% of the diet............................
Oh, another tip - DON'T completely thaw it - it will stink to high heavens :barf:
Thaw just enough to cut...... And cut as fast as you can...... I also used a mask..... I hope you have a better experience than I did :lol3:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I must have MUCH less potent kidney (or a worse sense of smell! :lol3: ) than Carolina. It does smell - but not so noxious I need a mask. :eek:

I buy the 2 pound packs from Hare-Today (and with 8 cats, I don't order it very often!)

I think Carolina's suggestion about offering it for sale or trading through a local B.A.R.F. Yahoo group or something is a GREAT idea! :clap:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have MUCH less potent kidney (or a worse sense of smell! :lol3: ) than Carolina. It does smell - but not so noxious I need a mask. :eek:
I buy the 2 pound packs from Hare-Today (and with 8 cats, I don't order it very often!)
I think Carolina's suggestion about offering it for sale or trading through a local B.A.R.F. Yahoo group or something is a GREAT idea! :clap:
OMG, by the end of it, I was as white as a sheet of paper, shaking and ready to pass out - NO KIDDING :thud:
That smell lingers.... I will never, ever, ever serve kidney egain :lol3:
Poor PrincessEsme must be scared :dash: :anon:

But in all seriousness now, even here on TCS, people might want it - it is hard to find.... In dallas for example, it is not sold anywhere.
I am sure she can trade for other types of meat, organs or sell in no time. But IMHO 12lbs will spoil. Organs don't last forever when frozen.